Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The rise and fall of a player 18:34 - Feb 10 with 5909 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Really impressed by Armstrong in the first half, his decision making has vastly improved and he caused all sorts of problems with pace. Second half faded, but a decent performance I thought.

Willock; what has happened? Looks an absolute shadow of 2 years ago. The injuries have finished him. Saw Marti screaming at him first half for not pressing etc, surprised he came out for the 2nd half. So sad to see. Can see Anderson starting ahead of him.

Just interesting to 2 players going in opposite directions.
The rise and fall of a player on 18:40 - Feb 10 with 3982 viewsWatford_Ranger

Screaming at Willock for not pressing is akin to screaming at your dog for not understanding Pythagoras’ theorem.
The rise and fall of a player on 18:43 - Feb 10 with 3922 viewsbenhurst

The thing with Willock is even when he's been playing crap he still has that moment of genuine quality in him that can turn a game around. Easiest example is Millwall, we started off terribly, then he puts in a brilliant cross for Chair to bundle in and suddenly we start playing much better. I reckon that's why he's still starting.
The rise and fall of a player on 19:01 - Feb 10 with 3806 viewsPaddyhoops

Thought he played better after Marti’s bollocking . As was said he sometimes provides that bit of quality.
Smyth disappointed a bit when he came on . His final ball was poor today and didn’t match some of his previous sub appearances. He’ll play better though.
The rise and fall of a player on 19:07 - Feb 10 with 3738 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Not much to say other than what's already been said a thousand times before.

Having been thrown into the deep end, Armstrong is coping well but is raw and will need time to develop.

As for Willock, it's clear to see that mentally he's not the same player since the injury, a situation exacerbated by his contract situation. A tricky one for Marti to manage as whilst Chris doesn't strike me as the kind of character you want in the relegation trenches, he still possesses that little bit of quality that can turn a game. To be fair to him, this season he's not been any worse than many of his peers but is being judged to a higher standard due to the high bar he set with previous performances. I suspect we'll only see the old Willock re-emerge at his next club.
[Post edited 10 Feb 19:13]
The rise and fall of a player on 19:08 - Feb 10 with 3738 viewsHAYESBOY

There is still a player there. His cross led to the first goal.
But, with the new additions I think he will be used from the bench.

Smells like a trout farm in here

The rise and fall of a player on 21:10 - Feb 10 with 3406 views1MoreBrightonR

I think what we are seeing with Armstrong is these first halves where he causes chaos, and then at half time, the opposition regroups and they know his threat and focus on shutting him out, which combined with him tiring a little, means he has less impact.

Their number 6 was going to get sent off the way Armstrong was embarrassing him the first half today... But second half was a different story.
The rise and fall of a player on 09:34 - Feb 12 with 2856 viewsTheChef

I'd really like Smyth to start ahead of Willock BUT he is so much more effective off the bench.

As mentioned Willock can provide that moment of quality, just a shame the rest of his game has gone to pot. Although I suppose Andersen will also be pushing for a start.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The rise and fall of a player on 09:47 - Feb 12 with 2786 viewsQPROslo

The rise and fall of a player on 19:08 - Feb 10 by HAYESBOY

There is still a player there. His cross led to the first goal.
But, with the new additions I think he will be used from the bench.

He also did some pretty good defensive work 2 or 3 times early on against Norwich. It was far side of the pitch from the camera and I wasn't sure at first whether it was Willock or Cannon over there, but it was Willock the commentator was praising.
Login to get fewer ads

The rise and fall of a player on 09:48 - Feb 12 with 2780 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Anderson hopefully resolves the Willock problem.

Maybe unjustly and maybe rashly, I just don’t want Willock near this team. I think what he brings us in a goals and assists every blue moon he takes away in reliability, lack of work rate, and the disruptive contract situation. Rumours again, but I understand he refused £25k p/w from Hull in the window.

Couldn‘t imagine a player I’d hate to be a right back behind more.

Looking forward to getting Kolli back too. Between he and Anderson I’m hoping that spells the end of Willock‘s term here. Thanks for the goals and assists, all of which came when nothing was at stake.
[Post edited 12 Feb 9:54]
The rise and fall of a player on 10:07 - Feb 12 with 2678 viewsBklynRanger

The rise and fall of a player on 18:43 - Feb 10 by benhurst

The thing with Willock is even when he's been playing crap he still has that moment of genuine quality in him that can turn a game around. Easiest example is Millwall, we started off terribly, then he puts in a brilliant cross for Chair to bundle in and suddenly we start playing much better. I reckon that's why he's still starting.

And I thought he had a decent first half on Saturday. Combined well with Cannon and helped to move the ball out of tight situations a handful of times. There's one example of it in the first minute of the extended highlights.

His engine and belief clearly aren't what they were when he was on form for us, and it'll be sad to see a once-prized asset limp out the door but it's not all doom and gloom with him at the moment imho.
The rise and fall of a player on 10:16 - Feb 12 with 2631 viewsterryb

The rise and fall of a player on 09:48 - Feb 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

Maybe unjustly and maybe rashly, I just don’t want Willock near this team. I think what he brings us in a goals and assists every blue moon he takes away in reliability, lack of work rate, and the disruptive contract situation. Rumours again, but I understand he refused £25k p/w from Hull in the window.

Looking forward to getting Kolli back too. Between he and Anderson I’m hoping that spells the end of Willock‘s term here. Thanks for the goals and assists, all of which came when nothing was at stake.

The improvement in Armstrong has exceeded my hopes & expectation! Long may it continue.

I thought that Saturday was the best willock has played for a long time. He was carrying out his defensive duties & looked interested in playing, as well as giving us a focas on the right going forward. Somethings that have been sadly lacking!
The rise and fall of a player on 10:20 - Feb 12 with 2599 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Just like Kakay turned down a loan move.

As others have suggested, he's starting because he has a moment of quality in his boots and Andersen clearly offers that going forward too.
The rise and fall of a player on 10:35 - Feb 12 with 2549 viewsPhilmyRs

Agree with those that felt Willock played well, or at least much better than what he has done recently. For me, it was probably the best I’ve seen him since Preston away, you can see why he gets picked, he’s had key inputs into some of our goals during crucial games. He’s certainly not the player he was, but saw glimpses on Saturday, against a decent Championship team, of what he can do in terms of receiving the ball in tight positions, getting some decent delivery into the box, looking to link up with Chair etc. For us to stay up, I think Willock will need to play a role.
The rise and fall of a player on 11:00 - Feb 12 with 2490 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The rise and fall of a player on 10:20 - Feb 12 by Wegerles_Stairs

Just like Kakay turned down a loan move.

As others have suggested, he's starting because he has a moment of quality in his boots and Andersen clearly offers that going forward too.

Kakay‘s wage demands probably a bit more modest, and whatever is said about him he’s been a pro on the pitch.
The rise and fall of a player on 11:03 - Feb 12 with 2479 viewsPhilmyRs

The rise and fall of a player on 11:00 - Feb 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

Kakay‘s wage demands probably a bit more modest, and whatever is said about him he’s been a pro on the pitch.

'semi pro' would probably be fairer.
The rise and fall of a player on 11:08 - Feb 12 with 2467 viewsHooping_Mad

I think Marti has been quite clever with Willock, Warnock Told Tarrabt "I'm gonna play you even if you are shite." Think he's done the same but with a "Only shop window you have theme"

I think he's using WIllock to get the best out of Smyth, 30 minutes to run at the opposition seems to be working well.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

The rise and fall of a player on 11:43 - Feb 12 with 2356 viewsmart_Goblin

Willock starts ahead of Smyth because Smyth is just to frantic . Willock sometimes looks like he needs a defibrillator to get him going but he has a cool head and for the most part can do what’s asked although he’s not playing great .
Smyth is frantic all action and exciting but final ball , decision making and quality is lacking when we need it most
The rise and fall of a player on 11:50 - Feb 12 with 2324 viewsrobith

I was talking to someone in the pub after the game on Saturday and said this season has actually been really....radicalising? on me, for want of a less dramatic term.

I've always been a real happy clapper, and I still try to stay reasonable, but I've actually become incredibly critical of a lot of the squad because I see little to defend.

Willock. I hear all the counter points, I understand, but then I see what my eyes see and I have to say I'm just sick of the sight of the fella. I understand why Marti is playing him but personally, I'd be perfectly happy not seeing him doss round on the wing again
The rise and fall of a player on 11:51 - Feb 12 with 2314 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Thought Willock was poor. Doesn't want to work hard defensively, or cant, and is unsuited to Martis style of football.

Sooner he leaves the better. 2 years ago I never thought I'd be saying that.
The rise and fall of a player on 12:06 - Feb 12 with 2262 viewsWatford_Ranger

The rise and fall of a player on 11:00 - Feb 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

Kakay didn’t go because he didn’t want to go to the club (or location) the move was to. Not a financial decision. He’s got a young kid. Don’t think I’d be rushing to go to Blackpool or Dundee or wherever it was in that situation.
The rise and fall of a player on 12:31 - Feb 12 with 2162 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The rise and fall of a player on 12:06 - Feb 12 by Watford_Ranger

Kakay didn’t go because he didn’t want to go to the club (or location) the move was to. Not a financial decision. He’s got a young kid. Don’t think I’d be rushing to go to Blackpool or Dundee or wherever it was in that situation.

Seems fair enough to me.
The rise and fall of a player on 12:57 - Feb 12 with 2100 viewsTheChef

The rise and fall of a player on 11:50 - Feb 12 by robith

I was talking to someone in the pub after the game on Saturday and said this season has actually been really....radicalising? on me, for want of a less dramatic term.

I've always been a real happy clapper, and I still try to stay reasonable, but I've actually become incredibly critical of a lot of the squad because I see little to defend.

Willock. I hear all the counter points, I understand, but then I see what my eyes see and I have to say I'm just sick of the sight of the fella. I understand why Marti is playing him but personally, I'd be perfectly happy not seeing him doss round on the wing again

Likewise - his heart is clearly not in it and he's just protecting himself from injury ahead of his move in the summer. Assuming the money is good enough and Daddy approves.

I can understand though why Cif is starting him currently. But probably not long till Andersen starts in his place.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The rise and fall of a player on 13:21 - Feb 12 with 2019 viewsellersliehoop

He supposedly turned down a few offers, I heard £18k per week.
The rise and fall of a player on 13:24 - Feb 12 with 2003 viewsconnell10

The rise and fall of a player on 19:01 - Feb 10 by Paddyhoops

Thought he played better after Marti’s bollocking . As was said he sometimes provides that bit of quality.
Smyth disappointed a bit when he came on . His final ball was poor today and didn’t match some of his previous sub appearances. He’ll play better though.

Yes but he forced the Norwich player into putting the ball out for a throw on , which resulted in the equaliser. Something that Willock would never do.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

The rise and fall of a player on 14:51 - Feb 12 with 1812 viewsWegerles_Stairs

The rise and fall of a player on 12:06 - Feb 12 by Watford_Ranger

He's a professional footballer; it goes with the territory. Blackpool is hardly Mars, is it? I can just imagine the opprobrium Todd Kane would have got if he'd made the same decision.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024