Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report 17:57 - Apr 14 with 7649 viewsNorthernr

Big thanks (and sympathies) to Alex for filling in for me this week...

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report 14th Apr 2024 17:55
Dreaded game three of a three game week for QPR, three goals without reply for Hull City and now just three points separating Rangers from the bottom three with three to play – Alex Perry was there for LFW. 11

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 16:23 - Apr 15 with 1152 viewsNorthernr

Dykes does tend to play well against Preston, so everything crossed for this Saturday.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 16:35 - Apr 15 with 1107 viewsterryb

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 16:21 - Apr 15 by ParkRoyalR

You asked a me a question and I answered it. Fair enough if you can see something different.

Willock is a forward, Dykes ran 15 yards past him and Willock is not within 20 yards of Dykes & Smyth when the ball broke loose, Dykes does'nt run into the Keeper, the Keeper gets up and blocks his run, good defending, if anyone should be questioned its where was Willock as we could have had a 3 on 2 if he could have been as arsed as Dykes.

I'd add that Paul Smyth veering right at Plymouth when running through on goal was one of the weirdest pieces of play I have seen in all my time watching football. Agree Smyth is getting in good positions which is why I posted a bit back he should be our preferred 2nd striker ahead of Frey or Armstrong.

Armstrong & Chair have both toe-punted crosses from great positions in our last two games, so maybe he's just as bang average as them or maybe he's just returning the favour.

Dykes like Dunne, like Cook and JCS has his weaknesses but as Terry B called it, he's by far the most effective of a bad lot, Conor Washington he ain't. All my opinion mind!

Hold on, I said I preferred him playing to Frey or Armstrong! This is based on that I think he is a little bit better at holding up the ball, not that I think he is any good!

In my view, none of the three come close to being as good as Washington! Or even Oteh!
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 16:52 - Apr 15 with 1041 viewsParkRoyalR

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 16:35 - Apr 15 by terryb

Hold on, I said I preferred him playing to Frey or Armstrong! This is based on that I think he is a little bit better at holding up the ball, not that I think he is any good!

In my view, none of the three come close to being as good as Washington! Or even Oteh!

Haha, fair play TerryB,

Things are getting fractious enough without resurrecting the ghosts of seasons past (although Oteh did score a screamer at Burton if I recall wrongly!)

Things are getting desperate so maybe time for a prayer to St Jude, how apt our club's parish of birth was named after the patron saint for answering lost causes.....

Dear St Jude, my man Lyndon seriously needs a goal this Saturday, otherwise he and I, will be run out of the Bush, yours in hope, ParkRoyalR
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 16:54 - Apr 15 with 1031 viewsdaveB

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 16:21 - Apr 15 by ParkRoyalR

You asked a me a question and I answered it. Fair enough if you can see something different.

Willock is a forward, Dykes ran 15 yards past him and Willock is not within 20 yards of Dykes & Smyth when the ball broke loose, Dykes does'nt run into the Keeper, the Keeper gets up and blocks his run, good defending, if anyone should be questioned its where was Willock as we could have had a 3 on 2 if he could have been as arsed as Dykes.

I'd add that Paul Smyth veering right at Plymouth when running through on goal was one of the weirdest pieces of play I have seen in all my time watching football. Agree Smyth is getting in good positions which is why I posted a bit back he should be our preferred 2nd striker ahead of Frey or Armstrong.

Armstrong & Chair have both toe-punted crosses from great positions in our last two games, so maybe he's just as bang average as them or maybe he's just returning the favour.

Dykes like Dunne, like Cook and JCS has his weaknesses but as Terry B called it, he's by far the most effective of a bad lot, Conor Washington he ain't. All my opinion mind!

How was Smyth going wide weird, he goes around the keeper, where else was he supposed to go?

Willock being crap isn't really an excuse for Dykes, his eyes are on the ball no awareness of the keeper and runs straight into the area where he's standing. That wasn't even in the top 10 of things he did wrong on Saturday but sums him up, bit of effort but absolutely no awareness of the run he needs to make

Also how is he effective?

He has 7 goals and 6 assists in his last 50 starts. Thats a goal every 7 starts
He's scored 4 goals away from home in the last 3 seasons, just 1 in the last 2 seasons, same number as Seny Dieng who left last summer and is a goalkeeper.

It's currently 3 months since he last goal, before his goal against Bournemouth he hadn't scored for just over a month. Hopefully he ends that drought in the next 3 games, only reason at the moment to pick him is law of averages says he has to score eventually.

Are the other strikers any good, absolutely not. Armstrong is raw to say the least and Frey looks a bit of an old carthorse but thats no excuse for Dykes though and they've never had prolonged runs in the team like Dykes has in the last 4 years
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 17:02 - Apr 15 with 1000 viewsMonkey_Roots

This is weird.

I don't know how anyone can defend Dykes without going red.

An abysmal goal return for this club bar one half-decent season.

I'm not questioning his desire, but he's not very good at his job.

I'd rip your arm off right now for Chris Martin to play instead of Dykes for our last 3 games, and I'm talking about the singer.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 17:12 - Apr 15 with 971 viewsParkRoyalR

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 16:54 - Apr 15 by daveB

How was Smyth going wide weird, he goes around the keeper, where else was he supposed to go?

Willock being crap isn't really an excuse for Dykes, his eyes are on the ball no awareness of the keeper and runs straight into the area where he's standing. That wasn't even in the top 10 of things he did wrong on Saturday but sums him up, bit of effort but absolutely no awareness of the run he needs to make

He's scored 4 goals away from home in the last 3 seasons, just 1 in the last 2 seasons, same number as Seny Dieng who left last summer and is a goalkeeper.

It's currently 3 months since he last goal, before his goal against Bournemouth he hadn't scored for just over a month. Hopefully he ends that drought in the next 3 games, only reason at the moment to pick him is law of averages says he has to score eventually.

Are the other strikers any good, absolutely not. Armstrong is raw to say the least and Frey looks a bit of an old carthorse but thats no excuse for Dykes though and they've never had prolonged runs in the team like Dykes has in the last 4 years

The Smyth thing might be an overhang from the Plymouth game where I'm still recovering from seeing a striker (which is what he started out as) bearing down on the middle of a defender less penalty area and instead of shooting opting to indicate right and start running towards the right hand corner flag. Beyond weird.

So we agree Dykes is the best we have, so he plays between now and the end of the season, hopefully he either scores, assists or holds the ball up well enough our 10's have plenty of possession around the oppositions penalty area and can score.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 17:20 - Apr 15 with 951 viewsdaveB

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 17:12 - Apr 15 by ParkRoyalR

The Smyth thing might be an overhang from the Plymouth game where I'm still recovering from seeing a striker (which is what he started out as) bearing down on the middle of a defender less penalty area and instead of shooting opting to indicate right and start running towards the right hand corner flag. Beyond weird.

So we agree Dykes is the best we have, so he plays between now and the end of the season, hopefully he either scores, assists or holds the ball up well enough our 10's have plenty of possession around the oppositions penalty area and can score.

I don't agree he's the best we have, I think he's dreadful. I'd start Frey on Saturday
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 17:33 - Apr 15 with 921 viewsParkRoyalR

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 17:20 - Apr 15 by daveB

I don't agree he's the best we have, I think he's dreadful. I'd start Frey on Saturday

On the basis of Frey's last run out versus Birmingham, that's the definition of insanity.

Still Stuart Wardley & Conor Washington scored goals at this level with limited ability so maybe Frey can to, just don't let him near another penalty kick!
Login to get fewer ads

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 18:03 - Apr 15 with 867 viewsdaveB

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 17:33 - Apr 15 by ParkRoyalR

On the basis of Frey's last run out versus Birmingham, that's the definition of insanity.

Still Stuart Wardley & Conor Washington scored goals at this level with limited ability so maybe Frey can to, just don't let him near another penalty kick!

Yeah your right, give Dykes another go, best to write Frey off after one bad game and keep hoping Dykes does something
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 18:25 - Apr 15 with 842 viewsNed_Kennedys

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 16:54 - Apr 15 by daveB

Fair post: I like Dykes and he did alright in previous seasons but this season he has been terrible I’m afraid and he is not suited to the manager’s style anyhow.

Sure he will be sold in the summer for a smaller amount than we would have got in previous transfer windows.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 18:27 - Apr 15 with 839 viewsNorthernr

Is Willock getting a bit of a free pass atm?

The narrative around him seems to be 'he's back' and playing well but he's got one goal in 21 games, that against Rotherham, and I'm struggling to remember the last time he played well. He was appalling against Sheff Wed.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 18:43 - Apr 15 with 806 viewsParkRoyalR

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 18:27 - Apr 15 by Northernr

The narrative around him seems to be 'he's back' and playing well but he's got one goal in 21 games, that against Rotherham, and I'm struggling to remember the last time he played well. He was appalling against Sheff Wed.

1 goal in 21 games for a player of his ability and shooting accuracy is very surprising,

Last played like the Willock of old versus Preston away?

Last linked up with Chair like the old days in this game also? Hopefully a positive omen.

Need these to to play closer together if we are to see the best of them again.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 18:52 - Apr 15 with 790 viewsTomMorgz7

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 18:27 - Apr 15 by Northernr

Not to defend a guy with stats like those and who seems to be uninterested most of the time, but I didn't think he was woeful on Saturday. The one who I think is getting a bit of a free pass at the moment is Andersen really...
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 18:58 - Apr 15 with 769 viewsNorthernr

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 18:52 - Apr 15 by TomMorgz7

Not to defend a guy with stats like those and who seems to be uninterested most of the time, but I didn't think he was woeful on Saturday. The one who I think is getting a bit of a free pass at the moment is Andersen really...

As said higher up, haven't seen Saturday so that's good to hear. There's a comment in the match report to that end as well.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 19:06 - Apr 15 with 740 viewsngbqpr

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 18:52 - Apr 15 by TomMorgz7

Seconded.

Bar cheap possession concession on half way leading to second goal, I thought Sat was the best Willock has played in several weeks; and yes Andersen, who I like, was poor and needed to be hooked at HT.

Ref the striker debate...not sure we have anything to lose trying Willock there tbh - 'false' or otherwise, at least he can finish.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 19:10 - Apr 15 with 732 viewsBurnleyhoop

No complaints from me about effort and commitment, we were outplayed and comprehensively beaten by a much better team. Find it odd that Hull have struggled so much at home recently.

Very much looked like a dads v lads game to me. We need to put that one behind us and focus on Preston.

Great report by the way.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 20:17 - Apr 15 with 644 viewsnadera78

I keep seeing people, on here and social media, talking about re-signing Willock, which to me is utterly bizarre. Ignoring the fact that he almost certainly wouldn't sign a new contract, what is it that people are seeing in his performances since Cifuentes arrived?

Besides which, I'd be amazed if Cifuentes would want him - he plays him because he doesn't have many alternatives. Same goes for our new whizkid MBA CEO, stats-based player analysis does not highlight players like Chris Willock for high value contracts from cash-strapped Championship clubs looking to punch above their weight.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 21:03 - Apr 15 with 590 viewsTacticalR

The sad thing is that, whatever he does now (in particular putting away chances), the old Willock, who could create a goal out of nothing, is gone.

Air hostess clique

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 21:22 - Apr 15 with 563 viewsdaveB

Add him to the awful list at the weekend, half arsed at best first half hung Dunne out to dry which his lack of defending and offered very little going forward apart from one decent cross for Smyth.

He was so bad the first 20 minutes he was moved to the left with Chair going on the right, they then started to rip us apart on that side so he was moved back again

He was good off the bench at Plymouth but apart from that it's been a while since he played anywhere near his best

Personally I wouldn't start him on Saturday think Smyth offers more but those chances he missed in the last 2 games probably means Willock will start again plus the manager obviously rates him and at this stage of the season he's going to go with those he trusts

Whilst I'm moaning I thought Anderson was really poor as well and has been for a few games now
[Post edited 15 Apr 21:24]
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 21:35 - Apr 15 with 539 viewsmart_Goblin

Would agree with this about Anderson.

He’s been shocking for the past 4 or 5 games apart from 10 mins v Plymouth.

The problem is they are so inconsistent. Willock was atrocious v Sheffield Wednesday but looked good coming on at Plymouth and I thought was our most likely player to create something Saturday . Continued to drive forward . I think perhaps Chair carrying this whole squad for 1st half of the season is catching up with him a little .

ps no point getting involved in the Dykes debate. We would all crown him king of LR if he smashes a couple in to keep us up so there is no vendetta . I would love nothing more !
Just using our eyes is all that’s required though. Some peoples blinkers are so large regarding Lord Dykes they don’t see anything else .
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 22:06 - Apr 15 with 487 viewsNorthernr

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 21:35 - Apr 15 by mart_Goblin

Would agree with this about Anderson.

He’s been shocking for the past 4 or 5 games apart from 10 mins v Plymouth.

The problem is they are so inconsistent. Willock was atrocious v Sheffield Wednesday but looked good coming on at Plymouth and I thought was our most likely player to create something Saturday . Continued to drive forward . I think perhaps Chair carrying this whole squad for 1st half of the season is catching up with him a little .

ps no point getting involved in the Dykes debate. We would all crown him king of LR if he smashes a couple in to keep us up so there is no vendetta . I would love nothing more !
Just using our eyes is all that’s required though. Some peoples blinkers are so large regarding Lord Dykes they don’t see anything else .

You know what, I'll delete that and save it for the preview because I've got no better suggestion at present.

But I will say this is the thing every time I read a Tweet or a post on here about what Cifuentes coulda, woulda, shoulda done. We have got players in this team - Willock, Chair, Hayden, Andersen, Smyth, Armstrong for instance - who you think you've got it absolutely made one week, so you do the same again the next and they produce the exact opposite. Maddening.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 22:09 - Apr 15 with 482 viewsPhilothesuperhoop

He certainly is getting a free pass and I’ve no idea why. He isn’t playing well particularly, he just isn’t crocked at the moment. I simply can’t forgive him for the shocking attitude earlier in the season and clearly being very high maintenance. Anything good he does do I have to accept whilst holding my nose or something- he is just another mercenary unfortunately. We are being used for him to showcase his talents to get a contract elsewhere.

It will be very interesting to see where he gets a gig? I suspect that it might pay more, but won’t be at a higher level.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 22:25 - Apr 15 with 457 viewsridethewave

He’s being played out of position. We’re losing so much from not having him in the middle and next to Chair. I love what Marti has done and he obviously knows what he’s doing but for the life of me I can’t work out how he hasn’t figured out Willock is best suited in the middle. We’ve gotten absolutely nothing from Anderson there this past few weeks.
[Post edited 15 Apr 22:29]
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 22:41 - Apr 15 with 426 viewsTacticalR

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 22:25 - Apr 15 by ridethewave

He’s being played out of position. We’re losing so much from not having him in the middle and next to Chair. I love what Marti has done and he obviously knows what he’s doing but for the life of me I can’t work out how he hasn’t figured out Willock is best suited in the middle. We’ve gotten absolutely nothing from Anderson there this past few weeks.
[Post edited 15 Apr 22:29]

Good point. There were times when our creative players (Chair, Willock and Andersen) were bunched up over on the left, and things just didn't look right.

Air hostess clique

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 22:43 - Apr 15 with 423 viewsmart_Goblin

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 22:06 - Apr 15 by Northernr

You know what, I'll delete that and save it for the preview because I've got no better suggestion at present.

But I will say this is the thing every time I read a Tweet or a post on here about what Cifuentes coulda, woulda, shoulda done. We have got players in this team - Willock, Chair, Hayden, Andersen, Smyth, Armstrong for instance - who you think you've got it absolutely made one week, so you do the same again the next and they produce the exact opposite. Maddening.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Exactly that.

The inconsistencies are so varied and widespread how the hell does he pick a side?
And the hindsight nonsense I read about he should have done this and now should be doing that , although opinions everybody is entitled too, drive me round the bend.

He along with us have no idea what players will show up and which ones will go missing.
Anderson has been poor recently but I’d still start him. He can produce 1 but of quality at any moment . Same with Willock and Chair.

I just can’t wait for the process to start and maybe slowly MC can put together a squad in his image with a mentality that matches his own .
[Post edited 15 Apr 22:46]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024