Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players we should have kept 09:37 - May 10 with 9853 viewsnumptydumpty

I will start off with Conor Masterson

Would have been a decent back up centre half and whenever I saw him play for ourselves always seemed to put in a decent shift

Player of the season at league two Gillingham this year and six goals also.

Admittedly it's league two but I could have definitely seen him as a squad player.

Easy to say after the event but I did actually think he could have done well here and was surprised he never really got many opportunities here.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Players we should have kept on 13:25 - May 10 with 2078 viewsStainrod

Stand to be corrected but think the OP was PROBABLY referring to home grown players who we released. If so I would argue that in recent years, of those we released - as opposed to having poached from us - if anything we have hung on too long hoping player x or y will come good. I don't really understand what we were doing keeping players aged around 21-24 who haven't made a serious breakthrough. A lot of the players we do release struggle to make a career in league 1 or 2, let alone the Championship. Am struggling to think of a single one who makes any of us seriously weep into our pints lamenting "if only we still had him". Marti is ruthless and we are bidding a fond farewell to the Kakays, Drewes and no doubt many more to come. Sure, it is sad when players have been with us since the age of 8 in many cases but we need to be run like a business. If we release a handful of our own youth players who haven't quite made the grade it frees up budget to bring in a JSC or a EDB.
Players we should have kept on 13:32 - May 10 with 2036 viewsNW10Hoop

Barbet
Players we should have kept on 13:33 - May 10 with 2031 viewsderbyhoop

The best answer is none of the above.

Maybe the odd 1 or 2 might have done more if we'd kept them. But, generally, they find their right level. And it isn't the Championship.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Players we should have kept on 13:41 - May 10 with 1974 viewskingsburyR

Can only be...........Samba Diakité

Not sure the guy was completely wired right but gave some value.

I swear he was going to be the new Patrick Vieira at one point.

That said I was probably most gutted when Andy Sinton left us! (Les not far behind)

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Players we should have kept on 13:54 - May 10 with 1927 views1JD

Players we should have kept on 11:08 - May 10 by Esox_Lucius

Amrit Bansul-McNulty.

I don’t think he is even in the professional game anymore?

Had skill and talent, but much like Pedder, and far too many others we take on, far too lightweight for the men’s game. Was never going to make it in my view. The academy needs to start prioritising talents who have the right physical stature needed to succeed at championship level.
Players we should have kept on 14:02 - May 10 with 1876 viewsEsox_Lucius

Players we should have kept on 13:54 - May 10 by 1JD

I don’t think he is even in the professional game anymore?

Had skill and talent, but much like Pedder, and far too many others we take on, far too lightweight for the men’s game. Was never going to make it in my view. The academy needs to start prioritising talents who have the right physical stature needed to succeed at championship level.

Would you have got rid of Iniesta due to his physical appearance?
If he has left the pro game it will be as a result of disillusionment rather than skill. Sending him to Crawley was a huge mistake, and his subsequent treatment. I used to watch him all the time and he was oozing quality and had great on field vision.

The grass is always greener.

Players we should have kept on 14:12 - May 10 with 1816 viewsJimboqpr

The streets will never forget... Doudou
Players we should have kept on 14:19 - May 10 with 1739 viewsPdog

Players we should have kept on 14:12 - May 10 by Jimboqpr

The streets will never forget... Doudou

Doudou Ebele Mbombo.. Dou Dou Dou
[Post edited 10 May 14:19]
Login to get fewer ads

Players we should have kept on 14:20 - May 10 with 1725 views1JD

Players we should have kept on 14:02 - May 10 by Esox_Lucius

Would you have got rid of Iniesta due to his physical appearance?
If he has left the pro game it will be as a result of disillusionment rather than skill. Sending him to Crawley was a huge mistake, and his subsequent treatment. I used to watch him all the time and he was oozing quality and had great on field vision.

Think you’ve got to be an exceptional talent if you are on the light side - iniesta being a good example. More on our level, chair is a good example, but he’s stocky and well built. It’s a big difference. Watched Bansal-McNulty many times, talented but powerpuff which is why he didn’t make it
Players we should have kept on 14:24 - May 10 with 1703 viewsbosh67

Players we should have kept on 11:35 - May 10 by Northernr

I always thought Ehmer was pretty decent as well.

Paolo Wanchope is the boss level answer for this isn't he?

Wanchope must win this. Something like 9 goals in 3 trial games and Ollie (?) didn't fancy him.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Players we should have kept on 14:30 - May 10 with 1646 viewsCamberleyR

Players we should have kept on 14:24 - May 10 by bosh67

Wanchope must win this. Something like 9 goals in 3 trial games and Ollie (?) didn't fancy him.

Stewart Houston!

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Players we should have kept on 14:31 - May 10 with 1641 viewsW7Ranger

Players we should have kept on 12:40 - May 10 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Chris Woods. England goalie FFS!

Probably in the minority here but I never really rated Chris Woods. I even keep forgetting he played for us. Maybe it was because it was just slightly before my time of watching Rangers. But whenever I think of Chris Woods, I think of Glasgow Rangers and Sheffield Wednesday. But really never thought there was anything special about him personally. If he was that good he reakky should've replaced Shilton after Mexico '86.
Players we should have kept on 14:43 - May 10 with 1566 viewsAntti_Heinola

Josh Laurent would be the most recent probably?
Also, we let Chris Mepham go. Then Brentford sold him for about £20m. And he and his family are QPR fans.
Really dropped the ball there, although he's usually kind enough to not be at his best against us.
[Post edited 10 May 14:44]

Bare bones.

Players we should have kept on 14:45 - May 10 with 1561 viewsCamberleyR

Players we should have kept on 14:31 - May 10 by W7Ranger

Probably in the minority here but I never really rated Chris Woods. I even keep forgetting he played for us. Maybe it was because it was just slightly before my time of watching Rangers. But whenever I think of Chris Woods, I think of Glasgow Rangers and Sheffield Wednesday. But really never thought there was anything special about him personally. If he was that good he reakky should've replaced Shilton after Mexico '86.

The thing with Woods though is that he was still just a kid (not quite 20) when he came to us and an absolute baby in goalkeeping terms. Brian Clough trusted him enough at 18 to keep goal for the cup tied Shilton in their run to winning the League Cup in 77/78. That would be unthinkable doing that nowadays, trusting your 18 year old youth team/reserves goalkeeper in a Wembley cup final. He was also on the bench in the 1979 European Cup final the following season.

Cloughie knew he was never going to replace Shilton at Forest in the short term which is why he probably sold him to us.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Players we should have kept on 14:50 - May 10 with 1532 viewsDesertBoot

Luke Freeman. I get why he left but was really disappointed when he did and things didn't work out at all for him.

Wish I could be like David Watts

Players we should have kept on 14:52 - May 10 with 1524 viewsNorthernr

Players we should have kept on 14:24 - May 10 by bosh67

Houston said strikers like that were ten a penny in non league. Instead of proving it by signing one of them, he then spent £2.5m on Mike Sheron.
Players we should have kept on 15:04 - May 10 with 1464 viewsHayesender

Players we should have kept on 14:50 - May 10 by DesertBoot

Luke Freeman. I get why he left but was really disappointed when he did and things didn't work out at all for him.

Just checked his stats. In the five years since he left us, he's only made 77 appearances for five clubs. Looks like we got the best years out of him

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Players we should have kept on 15:07 - May 10 with 1442 viewsRs_Holy

Players we should have kept on 14:19 - May 10 by Pdog

Doudou Ebele Mbombo.. Dou Dou Dou
[Post edited 10 May 14:19]

Dou one!
Players we should have kept on 15:08 - May 10 with 1440 viewsnumptydumpty

I felt Tjaron Chery had potential to be a game changer

Think he left chasing money in China - not sure what went on with him !!

Scored regularly and was player of season as well and then disappeared
[Post edited 10 May 15:11]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Players we should have kept on 15:13 - May 10 with 1430 viewsMatch82

Isn't it nice that somewhere on a Millwall forum they're having this same discussion and the answer is (or should be) Eberechi Eze...

Luke Freeman is probably the "both parties regret it" answer in recent times but if you consider what we actually got for him I've always thought Smithies is one we should have kept.
Players we should have kept on 15:19 - May 10 with 1387 viewsSydneyRs

Players we should have kept on 12:13 - May 10 by Logman

Gary Waddock

I believe we released him owing to a career threatening knee injury

Went on to make 360 further appearances

I don't think he was the only one. I'm sure there was another who called it a day on medical advice only to go on to have a long and successful career

Waddock may have played after his injury but he was not the same player.

As someone else said, Les Ferdinand. We still haven't recovered from selling him, although I accept we didn't really have much choice.
Players we should have kept on 15:27 - May 10 with 1337 viewsbosh67

Players we should have kept on 14:52 - May 10 by Northernr

Houston said strikers like that were ten a penny in non league. Instead of proving it by signing one of them, he then spent £2.5m on Mike Sheron.

Ah yes the genius of Houston.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Players we should have kept on 15:32 - May 10 with 1321 viewsHAYESBOY

Only one winner, not in a sprint obviously...........Bob Malcolm.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Players we should have kept on 15:34 - May 10 with 1316 viewsterryb

Players we should have kept on 13:12 - May 10 by numptydumpty

Actually thinking about it what were the reasons for Darnell Furlong leaving
Get away from his dad perhaps.

I think we got couple million for him which was fair enough

Another that surprisingly from my perspective who left and seems to have had a solid career is Jake Bidwell.... although wasn't concerned when he did leave
[Post edited 10 May 13:13]

We needed the transfer fee!

It had nothing to do with his father& he still walks around Loftus Road applauding us every time he plays here.
[Post edited 10 May 15:38]
Players we should have kept on 15:37 - May 10 with 1306 viewsterryb

Players we should have kept on 14:31 - May 10 by W7Ranger

I'm with you W7. IMO Chris Woods was the main reason we didn't win promotion in the 79/80 season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024