Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football books 11:43 - Aug 23 with 10867 viewsrrrspricey

Just been given a kindle with £30 voucher for my birthday and am looking for some decent football books to stick on it, any recommendations gratefully received
Football books on 17:10 - Jan 9 with 1797 viewssmegma

Football books on 14:39 - Aug 23 by danehoop

The Goldblatt book is a good one. Used to know him quite well. Never thought he would end up writing about sport, but quite possibly one of the cleverest men that I have ever met.

And you've met me !!

In a Mexican restaurant.

In Beijing.

As you do.
Football books on 20:24 - Mar 10 with 1345 viewsdezzar

Harry Pearson the Far Corner , Review of North East football 1993 ish , very well written , very funny
Football books on 01:15 - Mar 11 with 1270 viewscharmr

Tackle Soccer by Dave Sexton

Stanley said he bought into his ideas and this book is about them. Helps get a good understanding behind our 75/76 team.
Football books on 06:09 - Mar 11 with 1238 viewsAussieRs

Maybe a bit niche but a superb read by Australian legendary player and broadcaster Johnny Warren - Sheilas, Wogs and Poofters
https://www.penguin.com.au/books/sheilas-wogs-and-poofters-9781742746975
Football books on 07:10 - Mar 11 with 1223 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Journeyman by Ben Smith
Football books on 07:18 - Mar 11 with 1219 viewsShotKneesHoop

"Football Manager" - Alec Stock.

"Born To Manage" - Terry Venables

Do not buy - "Always managing to avoid jail and make Jam Roly Polys" - Flash 'Arry Redknobb

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Football books on 09:23 - Mar 11 with 1180 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Football books on 06:09 - Mar 11 by AussieRs

Maybe a bit niche but a superb read by Australian legendary player and broadcaster Johnny Warren - Sheilas, Wogs and Poofters
https://www.penguin.com.au/books/sheilas-wogs-and-poofters-9781742746975

What a brutal headline!

I hope it's ironic, at least? I know nothing about the man.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Football books on 10:27 - Mar 11 with 1150 viewsTacticalR

Football books on 09:23 - Mar 11 by BrianMcCarthy

What a brutal headline!

I hope it's ironic, at least? I know nothing about the man.

My comments on Warren's 'Sheilas, wogs & poofters' in the context of a previous discussion about race:
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/members/queensparkrangers/forum/197129/has-the-bus

Air hostess clique

Login to get fewer ads

Football books on 13:20 - Mar 12 with 1038 viewsTacticalR

Warren describes the years of trials and tribulations as Australian football tried to establish itself. The first time Australia got to the World Cup in 1974 everyone said they were going to get smashed:

"The criticism wasn’t just confined to Australia either. I can even remember an article appearing in one of the German newspapers, Bild Zeitung, asking: 'Why have we got these Kangaroos at the World Cup?'"

Air hostess clique

Football books on 16:28 - Apr 6 with 896 viewsBrianMcCarthy

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/06/the-football-books-you-should-r

Guardian recommendations today.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Football books on 17:01 - Apr 6 with 863 viewsderbyhoop

The Ripple Effect by Dominic Holland.

I always thought of Macclesfield Town when I read it. Years of crap, a year of struggle and a convoluted happy ending. Very amusing.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024