Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate 19:54 - Sep 3 with 15145 viewstooting_hoop

Gotten

I'm sure that got is the past tense of got so why lengthen it? Just put it in the right part of the sentence.

Thank you, just wanted to share that.

Follow me on Twitter @tootinghoop

Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 20:09 - Sep 3 with 7240 viewsBklynRanger

If 'gotten' is being used in Britain these days it's just another example of increasing Americanisation. Very bad - ATAF because I have to listen to them every day . (ok, some of them are nice...)
Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 20:09 - Sep 3 with 7238 viewsQPRDave

Something that bugs me is uz....it's us.. with an s ....not f**king uz
Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 20:18 - Sep 3 with 7218 viewsAndyB

Not a word but the use of it.

"Could I get....." as in "Could I get a Big Mac"

Get? Get?
Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 20:25 - Sep 3 with 7201 viewsdolcelatte

Staycation
Chillax
and why is everything Hilarious? no it's a bit amusing...

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 20:28 - Sep 3 with 7193 viewsBklynRanger

Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 20:18 - Sep 3 by AndyB

Not a word but the use of it.

"Could I get....." as in "Could I get a Big Mac"

Get? Get?

Americanism...
Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 20:35 - Sep 3 with 7171 viewsHarrowRoadR

I hate it when people say "arks" in stead of ask, drives me mad.
Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 20:43 - Sep 3 with 7148 viewsHantsR

Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 20:35 - Sep 3 by HarrowRoadR

I hate it when people say "arks" in stead of ask, drives me mad.

...but it sounds good in the Caribbean as spoken by locals!
(No subject) (n/t) on 21:03 - Sep 3 with 7129 viewskropotkin41

Don't know what happened there!
[Post edited 3 Sep 2013 21:05]

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Login to get fewer ads

Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 21:08 - Sep 3 with 7102 viewskropotkin41

What I was going to say - more or less - was that gotten is not made up, it's an old English word just as valid as got. It was no doubt taken to the Colonies by English emigrants and has stayed in more common usage over there than over here.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 21:12 - Sep 3 with 7088 viewsQPRDave

Another thing ....bob....where the f*ck did that come from.....
I'm just bobbing down the shop....or i'll bob over there.......
Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 21:16 - Sep 3 with 7077 viewsToast_R

Bare good
Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 21:30 - Sep 3 with 7029 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Bokkle instead of bottle, northern cünts say that.
Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 21:37 - Sep 3 with 7010 viewsQPRDave

Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 21:30 - Sep 3 by Pablo_Hoopsta

and sky digical...instead of digital
Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 21:37 - Sep 3 with 7012 viewsLancsBushRs

Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 21:30 - Sep 3 by Pablo_Hoopsta

Phah, don't get me started on those southerners...
Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 21:41 - Sep 3 with 6996 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 21:37 - Sep 3 by LancsBushRs

Phah, don't get me started on those southerners...

Just 'cause you don't talk proper like what we does...
Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 21:43 - Sep 3 with 6982 viewsTW_R

"I'm sure that got is the past tense of got so why lengthen it? Just put it in the right part of the sentence."

Got is the past tense of get, not got. Gotten is a perfectly acceptable word that just isn't used very often in thIs country anymore. Terms like "Ill-gotten" are used pretty frequently. It's just the way the language has evolved. No doubt you're happy with the word forgotten. It would sound weird as shortend to forgot all the time I.e I have forgot, but we could be saying that in 300 years.
Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 21:59 - Sep 3 with 6941 viewssmegma

Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 21:43 - Sep 3 by TW_R

"I'm sure that got is the past tense of got so why lengthen it? Just put it in the right part of the sentence."

Got is the past tense of get, not got. Gotten is a perfectly acceptable word that just isn't used very often in thIs country anymore. Terms like "Ill-gotten" are used pretty frequently. It's just the way the language has evolved. No doubt you're happy with the word forgotten. It would sound weird as shortend to forgot all the time I.e I have forgot, but we could be saying that in 300 years.

I'll be dead in 40 years so won't be saying anything. Ya get me ?
Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 22:25 - Sep 3 with 6895 viewsderbyhoop

I hate "could of" when what was meant was "could have". And all the variants on the misuse of the word "of", including off.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 22:30 - Sep 3 with 6885 viewsCiderwithRsie

Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 21:08 - Sep 3 by kropotkin41

What I was going to say - more or less - was that gotten is not made up, it's an old English word just as valid as got. It was no doubt taken to the Colonies by English emigrants and has stayed in more common usage over there than over here.

Quite right, but no-one in Britain is saying "gotten" now because they want to revive an old English word, it's because they've heard it on imported US TV/films/music and can't be bothered to learn what has been considered correct usage in Britain for the last couple of hundred years. I don't really fret over most changes in language, but I do think we should have more pride in our identity than to simply copy whatever the Americans are doing.

Same goes for trick or treating instead of "penny for the guy". I'm sure someone could show that gridiron football is closer to the sort of village punch-ups that are the origin of football than "soccer" is but I'm buggered if I'm going to sit through that sort of tedium instead of proper football.
Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 22:41 - Sep 3 with 6865 viewsBklynRanger

Exactamundo, if that's a word
Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 22:50 - Sep 3 with 6847 viewsBromleyHoop

'Im going Tesco's' or 'I'm going Hackney'. Are people just too lazy to say that they are 'going to Tesco's etc, It drives me feckin mad.

The other one is 'renember' as in memory ie 'I don't renember saying that' Derrrr doom brain.

Or white people saying 'man' at the end of virtually every sentence.

I could go on and on.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 22:58 - Sep 3 with 6823 viewsscot1963

not a made up word but a pet hate is the pronunciation of 6th as sikth instead of sixth - there's an x in it people
Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 23:00 - Sep 3 with 6806 viewsted_hendrix

Minge.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 23:03 - Sep 3 with 6805 viewstooting_hoop

Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 21:43 - Sep 3 by TW_R

You're quite right, those uses of 'gotten' don't offend me at all.

My intolerance actually concerns me more than anything else. I guess it is living proof of the ageing process that I don't want to accept.

But whilst I'm typing, may I just mention people muddling 'much' and 'many' and also 'less' and 'fewer'?

Follow me on Twitter @tootinghoop

Words I think are made up that I f'ing hate on 23:06 - Sep 3 with 6784 viewsShotKneesHoop

I hate the word "Chelsea" when it should be pronounced "Chelscum"

And "triffick" ; meaning "used to play a few times for spuds, and I can make a few bob here"

And "put in a good shift" which is SWP speak for "fooking useless" At least the transfer deadline loans / buys yesterday mean that R's Wipe won't be bothering row z much more this season.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024