Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I remember when we played wingers!!! 21:44 - Sep 22 with 2223 viewsbosh67

Bloody hell. I feel like there is a conspiracy to never play our wingers properly ever again.

To be honest it looks like we shouldn't have changed the formation from the other night.

We got done down the sides by fast young players and didn't match that up.

I watched the game on SKY and even the commentators were saying that Hemed and Wells were being starved of any service. 100% bang on.

I'm not calling for McClaren's head or anything but we obviously weren't tight enough or pressing first half. Playing Eze right wasted him and he isn't a wide player, he is a central playmaker like Adel was. Don't move him. Play Luongo or Scowen, not both to accommodate that.

We got what we deserved tonight. Should have shaken it up at half time. We were getting dine for pace down the wings so match up and bring Eze into the middle. As soon as we brought BOS on and moved Eze we started to make chances but far too late. It enabled Hemed and Wells to be in the box where they should be.

We don't have problems at the back. Goal was slightly unfortunate but well taken by a good striker. Think we are quire solid at the back, we have two top end Championship strikers/low end prem forwards and we starve them to death up front. If I was either of those two I would be getting completely frustrated.

The midfield needs sorting out. It needs pace down the flanks to pull defences out. Far too narrow as we always are. I know I got dogs abuse the other night because we won but we have BOS, Pav, Smithies and Freeman and we only ever play one.

It depresses me as someone who watched Thomas, Sinton and even Fereday skin defenders and swerve the ball into 2 strikers and then watch the so called modern game where you manage to completely isolate your 2 strikers.

I thought Norwich deserved it because they stretched us and we simply bunched up in down the middle. We didn't chase the ball, we didn't have any pace, we didn't manage the ball, pass it properly or have any composure shooting. But to isolate 2 good strikers was criminal and that is solved with a playmaker behind them and 2 proper wingers.

Apparently this is rocket science.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

I remember when we played wingers!!! on 22:35 - Sep 22 with 2124 viewsStanisgod

This. Said as much in about 300 less words on another thread. Louongo and Scowen are not creative enough as a two in the middle.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

I remember when we played wingers!!! on 23:10 - Sep 22 with 2052 viewspaulparker

That was fcuking Sh1t against a terrible norwich team
If your going to play 4—4-2 mclaren you clown then play wingers ffs , a waste of Eze who looked totally lost out there and totally starved of service and please let’s just pay up baptiste contract he is utter crap

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

I remember when we played wingers!!! on 23:24 - Sep 22 with 2025 viewsbosh67

I remember when we played wingers!!! on 23:10 - Sep 22 by paulparker

That was fcuking Sh1t against a terrible norwich team
If your going to play 4—4-2 mclaren you clown then play wingers ffs , a waste of Eze who looked totally lost out there and totally starved of service and please let’s just pay up baptiste contract he is utter crap

Bit harsh on Baptiste. I thought (on TV) he did okay. Very important block to stop them taking the lead early second half. No nonsense clearances. His problem tonight was that Eze is a central midfielder and not a winger, so every time the young kids attacked from Norwich he was facing that player and an overlapping player and he had no cover. Had Eze been playing centrally and either BOS or Pav on that wing he would have had a far easier evening. Not having a go at Eze because he was played out of position and tracking back when needed, like Adel, is not what he does. He's a central playmaker. But I wouldn't have a go at Baptiste either. He does a fair job. The backline, despite the loss are much much better. The midfield balance is the problem. You have to have a playmaker in the middle and not two players who break up play, because nothing is supplied wide or to the forwards that way. If you have no width you have no balance. And width means pace.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2018 23:26]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

I remember when we played wingers!!! on 23:46 - Sep 22 with 1962 viewsbob566

I remember when we played wingers!!! on 23:24 - Sep 22 by bosh67

Bit harsh on Baptiste. I thought (on TV) he did okay. Very important block to stop them taking the lead early second half. No nonsense clearances. His problem tonight was that Eze is a central midfielder and not a winger, so every time the young kids attacked from Norwich he was facing that player and an overlapping player and he had no cover. Had Eze been playing centrally and either BOS or Pav on that wing he would have had a far easier evening. Not having a go at Eze because he was played out of position and tracking back when needed, like Adel, is not what he does. He's a central playmaker. But I wouldn't have a go at Baptiste either. He does a fair job. The backline, despite the loss are much much better. The midfield balance is the problem. You have to have a playmaker in the middle and not two players who break up play, because nothing is supplied wide or to the forwards that way. If you have no width you have no balance. And width means pace.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2018 23:26]

Agree with all of that. I'd add harsh on cousins to be dropped for scowen. He'd a good game against wall. Drop players when they deserve it. Scowen shouldn't have started.
I remember when we played wingers!!! on 01:42 - Sep 23 with 1834 viewstimcocking

It's a difficult one. We all know eze and Freeman aren't wingers. We can't play easily with the two of them, and wingers and two strikers. Something has to give.

I know it's nice seeing two strikers, but i'm not sure we should be starting them both. Not if they aren't getting any service. 4-2-3-1 with the three being for example Freeman, Eze and Bright offers a bit of everything. Dribbling, passing, pace, goals. I really like that three, at least on paper. And it gives Luongo licence to be up the pitch knowing there'll be cover.

Of course, there is one other way to keep two strikers and Eze and Freeman in the centre and have some width, but i'm frightened to mention the dreaded back three. One knows sh!t creek has arrived when they roll out the back three. But hey, Manning would be a good bet for left wingback instead of Bidwell, so good to know we have the option. Oh, bugger.
I remember when we played wingers!!! on 09:41 - Sep 23 with 1682 viewssmegma

I also remember playing right backs at right back. Rangel out injured (maybe?) so he replaces him with Baptiste. It was noticed that Norwich were targeting Baptiste with simple balls down the right hand channel which found him ten yards behind his marker in seconds. This happened 3 times in the first 20 minutes. Unfortunately no one on our bench noticed. Baptiste should have been replaced by Kakay at half time but no. He eventually was removed with 13 remaining to be replaced by midfielder Jordan Cousins. The 3 subs were only made after going a goal down. They should have been made at any time in the previous half an hour of the second half. They were made as a reaction to the goal and to get a point. They should have been made earlier to WIN the game. Too little, too late.
We also missed Cameron's calming influence in midfield. The regular 'midfield four' have been found out quite a few times this season. A lot of views were that the first half against Millwall is the best we've played this season so Steve made 3 changes , only one was forced.I think we've made changes for every game so far bar one. We collected 4 points in the two games.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2018 9:46]
I remember when we played wingers!!! on 10:05 - Sep 23 with 1626 viewsbosh67

I remember when we played wingers!!! on 09:41 - Sep 23 by smegma

I also remember playing right backs at right back. Rangel out injured (maybe?) so he replaces him with Baptiste. It was noticed that Norwich were targeting Baptiste with simple balls down the right hand channel which found him ten yards behind his marker in seconds. This happened 3 times in the first 20 minutes. Unfortunately no one on our bench noticed. Baptiste should have been replaced by Kakay at half time but no. He eventually was removed with 13 remaining to be replaced by midfielder Jordan Cousins. The 3 subs were only made after going a goal down. They should have been made at any time in the previous half an hour of the second half. They were made as a reaction to the goal and to get a point. They should have been made earlier to WIN the game. Too little, too late.
We also missed Cameron's calming influence in midfield. The regular 'midfield four' have been found out quite a few times this season. A lot of views were that the first half against Millwall is the best we've played this season so Steve made 3 changes , only one was forced.I think we've made changes for every game so far bar one. We collected 4 points in the two games.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2018 9:46]

Baptiste got caught because Eze wasn't tracking back quick enough. Not blaming either. Tactical mistake by the management. I agree, it was plain to see that we had the wrong set up. I was fully expecting a formation change at half time and the introduction and movement of players to do that so was disappointed when they returned for the 2nd half with no changes in either area. Smacked of 'I've shouted at them so they'll get better'. That's where we see McClaren the coach and McClaren the manager. Obviously good at getting players to play better in practice and in match play but not the best game management tactician. However, all this said we lost a football game in the middle of winning some so not calling for his head. Just want him to be braver during games. As you say... act rather than react.

Never knowingly right.

I remember when we played wingers!!! on 11:00 - Sep 23 with 1562 viewssmegma

I remember when we played wingers!!! on 10:05 - Sep 23 by bosh67

Baptiste got caught because Eze wasn't tracking back quick enough. Not blaming either. Tactical mistake by the management. I agree, it was plain to see that we had the wrong set up. I was fully expecting a formation change at half time and the introduction and movement of players to do that so was disappointed when they returned for the 2nd half with no changes in either area. Smacked of 'I've shouted at them so they'll get better'. That's where we see McClaren the coach and McClaren the manager. Obviously good at getting players to play better in practice and in match play but not the best game management tactician. However, all this said we lost a football game in the middle of winning some so not calling for his head. Just want him to be braver during games. As you say... act rather than react.

Totally agree. I actually wrote on the 'Norwich thread' during the game both Eze and Baptiste should've been hooked on the hour. But it should've been earlier.
Login to get fewer ads

I remember when we played wingers!!! on 13:37 - Sep 23 with 1416 viewsEsox_Lucius

I remember when we played wingers!!! on 11:00 - Sep 23 by smegma

Totally agree. I actually wrote on the 'Norwich thread' during the game both Eze and Baptiste should've been hooked on the hour. But it should've been earlier.

IMO I would have hooked Hemed and dropped Eze in behind him to allow Wzsolek out wide on the right, BOS on for Scowen and move Freeman inside and let BOS stretch Norwich they way they stretched us, with the added bonus of having two people with a bit of pace covering their FB raids.

The grass is always greener.

I remember when we played wingers!!! on 16:19 - Sep 23 with 1324 viewsvegasranger

I thought BOS was a left winger. Why ( to little effect ) was he played on the right?
I remember when we played wingers!!! on 16:27 - Sep 23 with 1314 viewsqprd

You don’t necessarily need traditional wingers if your fullbacks can forward

Kakays crossing needs work, but at the very least, he can bomb forward, keep the ball and play the square ball

Playing baptiste over kakay is one of the most pathetic decisions of the short McLaren era.... why play a corpse out of position (who will not be on the team next year, guaranteed), when there’s a perfectly capable young player waiting for an opportunity
I remember when we played wingers!!! on 16:29 - Sep 23 with 1311 viewsozexile

After 10 mins Eze should have sat on their 7 in the centre of the park. That would have totally negated their 50 passes back and forth to each other. In the first half when they had the ball we didn't touch it for 2 or 3 mins.
I remember when we played wingers!!! on 19:32 - Sep 23 with 1214 viewsGloryHunter

Bumped into a couple of Polish lads in the Lower Loft after the game. They said they were there to support Pavel and they knew him. They said he was completely peed-off at not being selected, and that it had cost him his place in the Polish team. I told them to tell Pav that I and my mates were big fans, and equally gutted that he never got picked to play.
I remember when we played wingers!!! on 20:09 - Sep 23 with 1178 viewsNorthernr

Since Samuel battered Bristol Rovers his reward for that has been 13 minutes of first team football across four matches.

That's just not right I'm afraid.
I remember when we played wingers!!! on 20:57 - Sep 23 with 1134 viewsbosh67

I remember when we played wingers!!! on 20:09 - Sep 23 by Northernr

Since Samuel battered Bristol Rovers his reward for that has been 13 minutes of first team football across four matches.

That's just not right I'm afraid.

Agreed. As soon as he came on we had width and pace. Two words I get dogs abuse for saying every week.

Never knowingly right.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024