Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The referee's a ..... 12:01 - Jan 17 with 1735 viewsMungoJezza

I attended a conference yesterday where one of the keynote speakers was Matt Messias, former Premier League, EUFA and FIFA referee. Aside from proving to be a really top bloke (he did, of course, once infamously accidentally elbow Robbie Savage during a game!), what really struck me was the amount of preparation put in by refs and their assistants before each game. This involves meeting up days before the match to identify, amongst other things, which players are nearing suspension, which players have had a confrontation in the past with each other, and formulating all sorts of contingency plans for various 'what if' type scenarios.
Not surprisingly, Matt is not a fan of VAR, or at least the version used in the Premiership, and would like to go back to the days when the vagaries of refereeing decisions, made without the aid of technology, were an accepted, if highly frustrating, part of the game.
The referee's a ..... on 13:31 - Jan 17 with 1604 viewsQPR_John

"which players are nearing suspension, "

Can only think the reason a referee would want to know that is to show more leniency to such a player. That is really not something a referee should worry about.
The referee's a ..... on 13:45 - Jan 17 with 1564 viewsstevec

The referee's a ..... on 13:31 - Jan 17 by QPR_John

"which players are nearing suspension, "

Can only think the reason a referee would want to know that is to show more leniency to such a player. That is really not something a referee should worry about.

and would have ruined one of Joel Lynch's sunshine holidays.
The referee's a ..... on 15:23 - Jan 17 with 1455 viewsBoston

can’t quite get my head around the Messiah coming down to earth to ref a football match.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The referee's a ..... on 15:32 - Jan 17 with 1441 viewsderbyhoop

The referee's a ..... on 15:23 - Jan 17 by Boston

can’t quite get my head around the Messiah coming down to earth to ref a football match.

Messias - and people say there's only 1 God

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

The referee's a ..... on 15:36 - Jan 17 with 1428 viewsBoston

The referee's a ..... on 15:32 - Jan 17 by derbyhoop

Messias - and people say there's only 1 God

There is isn’t there, it’s just that those Johnny Foreigners call her by different names.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The referee's a ..... on 17:02 - Jan 17 with 1351 viewsPinnerPaul

All the presentations I've been to by the top officials have been excellent.

No surprise really, when you consider, whatever you think of them, they ARE, or were, at the very top of their profession.
The referee's a ..... on 17:37 - Jan 17 with 1310 viewsJuzzie

I think this is why ref's and linesmen went professional. For years they were bank managers, double glazing salesmen etc who reffed part time.
They simply could not do all that type of preparation in the build up to a game and as the game was changing post Sky Sports they simply had to become full time.
The referee's a ..... on 17:42 - Jan 17 with 1303 viewsHantsR

The referee's a ..... on 15:23 - Jan 17 by Boston

He's not, he's just a very naughty boy!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024