Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'ere Brighton 02:02 - Dec 22 with 2926 viewsBoston

...so democracy rears it's ugly head again. Everyone in Catalonia is down the bar for a couple of pints of Iberia, what is Madrid going to do?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

'ere Brighton on 02:06 - Dec 22 with 2918 viewsSharpy36

"democracy" we`ll have none of that in the EU.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

'ere Brighton on 10:35 - Dec 22 with 2713 viewsBrightonhoop

haha A few headaches this morning. No easy answers. But when Madrid gets uppity you sleep with one eye open, they have an attrocious history of violence and murder against 'citizens.'

Both the British Gov and EU and have used as us bargaining chips and will sell us down the river. It's a good day to be a gun seller in Spain.
'ere Brighton on 10:52 - Dec 22 with 2675 viewsLblock

Slowly slowly it collapses...

Oh to be free from the shackles of future bail outs, border issues and mass migration
We’ll have those issues sorted one way or another in two or three years and be ahead of the rest

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

'ere Brighton on 11:07 - Dec 22 with 2672 viewsTHEBUSH

As far as I can see, the political masters in Catalonia broke the Spanish Law, in which Catalonia is part of.

They held a referendum on October 1st, which was illegal.

For me, politicians are voted in to make laws, not to break them.

BTW, not sure if this is relevant, but I´m a ´Remainer´
'ere Brighton on 11:12 - Dec 22 with 2650 viewsBrightonhoop

'ere Brighton on 11:07 - Dec 22 by THEBUSH

As far as I can see, the political masters in Catalonia broke the Spanish Law, in which Catalonia is part of.

They held a referendum on October 1st, which was illegal.

For me, politicians are voted in to make laws, not to break them.

BTW, not sure if this is relevant, but I´m a ´Remainer´

They are a totally different culture with their own language surpressed since the times of Franco. They dont see themselves as Spanish. When they voted out, they exercised freedom of choice without permission, and coked up Robo Cops were sent in to beat up pensioners having the audacity to vote.

Cant think why they want to leave.....but they wont be allowed to.
'ere Brighton on 11:30 - Dec 22 with 2604 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Martin Luther King broke laws. So did Gandhi. So did Daniel O' Connell.

Some laws beg to be broken and the ethical choice is whether passive resistance is preferable to forced subservience.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

'ere Brighton on 11:58 - Dec 22 with 2556 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Oh, was that Daniel O'Connell?
'ere Brighton on 13:02 - Dec 22 with 2514 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

'ere Brighton on 11:30 - Dec 22 by BrianMcCarthy

Martin Luther King broke laws. So did Gandhi. So did Daniel O' Connell.

Some laws beg to be broken and the ethical choice is whether passive resistance is preferable to forced subservience.

Exactly.

Big difference between a legal and moral obligations a lot of the time.

Slavery was once legal and homosexuality was once illegal in this country.
Login to get fewer ads

'ere Brighton on 13:32 - Dec 22 with 2487 viewsBrianMcCarthy

'ere Brighton on 11:58 - Dec 22 by WrightUp5hit___

Oh, was that Daniel O'Connell?

Well, fugg you! I have that song in my head now!!!

'ere Brighton on 14:08 - Dec 22 with 2458 viewsterryb

Why should anyone who isn't Spanish, be in principal against an independant Catalonia?

I seem to recall that there was nobody outside Russia that was opposed to an independant Estonia, Latvia, Ukraine etc. Or for that matter a seperate Slovakia to the Czech Republic!

Would the Basques follow next & breakaway from Spain & France?
'ere Brighton on 14:31 - Dec 22 with 2429 viewsBrianMcCarthy

'ere Brighton on 14:08 - Dec 22 by terryb

Why should anyone who isn't Spanish, be in principal against an independant Catalonia?

I seem to recall that there was nobody outside Russia that was opposed to an independant Estonia, Latvia, Ukraine etc. Or for that matter a seperate Slovakia to the Czech Republic!

Would the Basques follow next & breakaway from Spain & France?

Excellent comparison to the ex-Eastern Bloc

I've been surfing to The Basque Country on many, many occasions and there's no doubt that they view themselves as a separate people and as a separate Nation. They have their own language, culture, sports, history and genepool. Many of them look Celtic with fair skin, red/ginger hair and devilish good looks.

I agree with those who say that the EU will oppose independence for Catalunya, though, as will all major political entities. 'Twas always thus - when Ireland lobbied Woodrow Wilson and other Major Nations in 1919 to honour their pledge for the Freedom for Small Nations, it was a cheap round when they bought drinks for their supporters.

'ere Brighton on 14:46 - Dec 22 with 2423 viewsBrightonhoop

All good points Bri. Madrid fear the Basques would follow and Paris fear the French basques would also demand independence. It was the primary reason for Madrid stating they would oppose Scotland joining the Euro if they voted for Independence because they feared the Catalans would declare Independence which they have since. Brussels fears them all because Independence does not rub with their one size fits all.
I suspect also that Poland, if stripped of their voting rights in Brussels regarding the Judiciary there, will almost certainly pull out of the EU too.
Fascinating political times we are living through and 2018 will likely see it all Kick Off. I'm not looking forwards to the Gibraltar negotiations against a backdrop of Spanish Nationalism the Catalan vote has brought up in recent months.
They also say that art of the North Coast on the Atlantic has some of the best surfing in the world. I did the Pamplona run several years back but never visited the coast, lovely drive north over the border where you only know you've left Spain and entered France because the road sign language has changed. So I must go and visit that coast. For all it's faults I love this crazy, crazy country.
'ere Brighton on 15:17 - Dec 22 with 2394 viewsBrianMcCarthy

'ere Brighton on 14:46 - Dec 22 by Brightonhoop

All good points Bri. Madrid fear the Basques would follow and Paris fear the French basques would also demand independence. It was the primary reason for Madrid stating they would oppose Scotland joining the Euro if they voted for Independence because they feared the Catalans would declare Independence which they have since. Brussels fears them all because Independence does not rub with their one size fits all.
I suspect also that Poland, if stripped of their voting rights in Brussels regarding the Judiciary there, will almost certainly pull out of the EU too.
Fascinating political times we are living through and 2018 will likely see it all Kick Off. I'm not looking forwards to the Gibraltar negotiations against a backdrop of Spanish Nationalism the Catalan vote has brought up in recent months.
They also say that art of the North Coast on the Atlantic has some of the best surfing in the world. I did the Pamplona run several years back but never visited the coast, lovely drive north over the border where you only know you've left Spain and entered France because the road sign language has changed. So I must go and visit that coast. For all it's faults I love this crazy, crazy country.

More good info, Brighton, thanks.

I've travelled a fair bit and I love The Basque Country. I know the three French Provinces more than the four Spanish ones but towards the latter years I was drawn South around the arc and Westwards. It helped to be a Celt, because they freely chat about their ancestral links to the Celts - fishing, trading, smuggling etc - of Brittany, Cornwall, SW Wales and the South Coast of Ireland. I'm dark-haired so the fair and red-haired lads had a head start in the bars when we finished surfing, but my Gaelic was better and that used to swing things!

Of all the spots around Europe and further afield we used to surf The Basque Country caused us the biggest problems - great waves every morning, but great craic every night!

So far, I've only been to Catalunya, The Basque Country and The Canaries, but the rest of Spain is on my list without a doubt. The people are great.

'ere Brighton on 15:40 - Dec 22 with 2374 viewsShotKneesHoop

'ere Brighton on 15:17 - Dec 22 by BrianMcCarthy

More good info, Brighton, thanks.

I've travelled a fair bit and I love The Basque Country. I know the three French Provinces more than the four Spanish ones but towards the latter years I was drawn South around the arc and Westwards. It helped to be a Celt, because they freely chat about their ancestral links to the Celts - fishing, trading, smuggling etc - of Brittany, Cornwall, SW Wales and the South Coast of Ireland. I'm dark-haired so the fair and red-haired lads had a head start in the bars when we finished surfing, but my Gaelic was better and that used to swing things!

Of all the spots around Europe and further afield we used to surf The Basque Country caused us the biggest problems - great waves every morning, but great craic every night!

So far, I've only been to Catalunya, The Basque Country and The Canaries, but the rest of Spain is on my list without a doubt. The people are great.

Why not call them all part of Europe?

Makes complete sense unless your name is Johnson, Gove, Farage, Fox, Davies, Rees-Sodding- Mogg.

Otherwise we become part of the United States of Trumpton,

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

'ere Brighton on 15:50 - Dec 22 with 2362 viewskensalriser

'ere Brighton on 10:52 - Dec 22 by Lblock

Slowly slowly it collapses...

Oh to be free from the shackles of future bail outs, border issues and mass migration
We’ll have those issues sorted one way or another in two or three years and be ahead of the rest

How will we be free from bailouts? The bailouts of RBS, Lloyds/Halifax were entirely of our own government's invention. And as Home Secretary for six years, Theresa May seemed absolutely fine with the level of immigration.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

'ere Brighton on 16:29 - Dec 22 with 2331 viewsLblock

'ere Brighton on 15:50 - Dec 22 by kensalriser

How will we be free from bailouts? The bailouts of RBS, Lloyds/Halifax were entirely of our own government's invention. And as Home Secretary for six years, Theresa May seemed absolutely fine with the level of immigration.

I’d hazard a wild guess you knew I was referring to propping up the barmy economies of Greece, Italy etc but there you go

I don’t do politics on here much anymore but this angst over Brexit really is going from sublime to ridiculous throughout the wider population now. Leave won, it’s done and it’s happening. So what to do?
Shout from the rooftops about how unfair it is, want your ball back and hope it all implodes siding with the left wing right on trendy meejah who want turmoil and economic hardship to fawn over?
Or suck it up, get on with it and work hard to make the best of it for you and yours and hope it becomes a real positive?
Your choice of course. Amazingly, I didn’t agree with Blair’s government coming to power but I cracked on and didn’t look to spin or negate every decision and turn. In fact a few of their policies and approaches gave me some great opportunities which I not only grabbed with both hands but also wrapped my right leg around.

All said and done; politics and religion are a load of old sweaty dangly bollox and I’ve no interest in any of the aforementioned

Merry Christmas

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

'ere Brighton on 19:22 - Dec 22 with 2260 viewskensalriser

'ere Brighton on 16:29 - Dec 22 by Lblock

I’d hazard a wild guess you knew I was referring to propping up the barmy economies of Greece, Italy etc but there you go

I don’t do politics on here much anymore but this angst over Brexit really is going from sublime to ridiculous throughout the wider population now. Leave won, it’s done and it’s happening. So what to do?
Shout from the rooftops about how unfair it is, want your ball back and hope it all implodes siding with the left wing right on trendy meejah who want turmoil and economic hardship to fawn over?
Or suck it up, get on with it and work hard to make the best of it for you and yours and hope it becomes a real positive?
Your choice of course. Amazingly, I didn’t agree with Blair’s government coming to power but I cracked on and didn’t look to spin or negate every decision and turn. In fact a few of their policies and approaches gave me some great opportunities which I not only grabbed with both hands but also wrapped my right leg around.

All said and done; politics and religion are a load of old sweaty dangly bollox and I’ve no interest in any of the aforementioned

Merry Christmas

But we weren't party to the bailout of Greece, it was a Eurozone matter the UK was ringfenced from. I don't remember any bailout of Italy.

You do make a lot of political comments for someone who has no interest in politics. But if you are going to make them, why not base them on fact rather than fiction?

Merry Christmas to you too!

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

'ere Brighton on 01:01 - Dec 23 with 2144 views2Thomas2Bowles

Brighton
Just wondering how long you have been living in Spain

I have a friend that's just moved back, nothing to do with leaving the EU just could not get work over there.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

'ere Brighton on 03:39 - Dec 23 with 2103 viewsBrianMcCarthy

'ere Brighton on 19:22 - Dec 22 by kensalriser

But we weren't party to the bailout of Greece, it was a Eurozone matter the UK was ringfenced from. I don't remember any bailout of Italy.

You do make a lot of political comments for someone who has no interest in politics. But if you are going to make them, why not base them on fact rather than fiction?

Merry Christmas to you too!

And in the case of Ireland the "bailouts" were loans, despite often false reporting. Ireland is paying exorbitant interest on the loans from the EU, IMF, Denmark, Britain and Sweden.

'ere Brighton on 09:14 - Dec 23 with 2037 viewsMrSheen

'ere Brighton on 03:39 - Dec 23 by BrianMcCarthy

And in the case of Ireland the "bailouts" were loans, despite often false reporting. Ireland is paying exorbitant interest on the loans from the EU, IMF, Denmark, Britain and Sweden.

How much is this "exorbitant " interest, Brian? I'm guessing they went to the governments because the markets would have charged more at the time, or not lent for as long.
'ere Brighton on 11:07 - Dec 23 with 1990 viewsBoston

'ere Brighton on 01:01 - Dec 23 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Brighton

I have a friend that's just moved back, nothing to do with leaving the EU just could not get work over there.

Oh, Brighton doesn't work....

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

'ere Brighton on 12:12 - Dec 23 with 1943 viewsBrianMcCarthy

'ere Brighton on 09:14 - Dec 23 by MrSheen

How much is this "exorbitant " interest, Brian? I'm guessing they went to the governments because the markets would have charged more at the time, or not lent for as long.

We didn't go to the EU/IMF. They told us to take the loans to protect the bondholders and banks and our pathetic Government agreed meekly.

Not sure what the rates of interest were but the loan from the UK was £3.2 bn stg and we've already paid over 300m interest, so that would indicate 10-15% by the time that one's done?

'ere Brighton on 15:18 - Dec 23 with 1861 viewsBrightonhoop

'ere Brighton on 01:01 - Dec 23 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Brighton

I've been down here about 5 years. I'd been living between Brighton and Italy for the 3 years before that, so had a bit if a head start. I run a couple of small businesses online, advertising,do a bit of webdesign and a bit of photography.
The cost of living here is much lower than the UK, especially the SE, so it's doable, and the Eurozone is picking up, but same as anywhere, you have to work. Unemployed Benefit ends after 6 months and people are then expected to rely on family. Lowish taxes helps too, but without work it would be impossible. Unemployment rate is still high at 17%, 30% amongst the under 25's . So some UK folks have to go back when work dries up, it's ok if you've got the language it helps, but otherwise you can be over reliant on ex-pats.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024