Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Zamora - what is he good for? 12:22 - Oct 22 with 998 viewsSomersetHoops

Bobby Zamora appeared to be taking lethargy and disinterest to new depths yesterday. I know he was on his own for much of the game, but his movement was so slow and late as an attacker and he let Distin get away from him for their goal with no attempt to attack the ball.

If he is injured why was he playing? - and if he wasn't injured why wasn't he trying harder? This is just my opinion, but I think we were playing with 10 men most of the time he was on the pitch and the contrast with the energy and enthusiasm of Hoillet was plain to see. Why was he not taken off at half time when he was contributing nothing to our performance?

I know his strength is supposed to be his hold-up play, but there was little opportunity for it in the formation we were playing or evidence of it yesterday. It confirmed he cannot fulfill the lone striker role and to me he looked like a passenger and we can't afford those in our current predicament. Once again the change in taking him off was made far too late. This game was there for the taking and again bad management decisions meant we did not take the opportunity presented to us.

Who's Next?

Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:24 - Oct 22 with 688 viewsNorthernr

Four goals scored in a crap side isn't bad for somebody not contributing anything.
Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:25 - Oct 22 with 684 viewsOakR

I thought he was ok yesterday, he's not as fast as Hoilett of course. He was up against one of the best defences in the league, on his own, I think you're being harsh on him.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:25 - Oct 22 with 677 viewsklr

I think he's a good player of his type, but lets face it, he's never going to score a hatrick which is the problem here, we are getting to the stage where we need to win matches.

Something has obviously gone on with Cisse, "attitude problems" or whatever, I'm not sure, but something has gone on there.
Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:25 - Oct 22 with 675 viewswombat

he was poor even by his own standards yesterday , shame we let helgarson go , zamora is always on his heels when the balls brakes free for some reason as well bloody annoying .

we dont have anyone to replace him with though betty was crap, heidis gone to bardiff nobody else left in the squad to do his role

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:27 - Oct 22 with 661 viewsPizanti

I agree with this ...Bobby Zamora I just don't get it!

At the end of last season I put his lethargy down to the fact that allegedly he was injured ...but what about this season ...is he injured? ...seems to spend most the game walking/limping around ...doesn't seem to hold the ball up half as well as many would lead you to believe and doesn't seem to win much in the air ..when he does it doesn't seem to go where he intended.

Having said that he is our top scorer although not sure that says much about his quality or the lack of quality we have in general.
Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:29 - Oct 22 with 654 viewsthemodfather

Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:25 - Oct 22 by wombat

he was poor even by his own standards yesterday , shame we let helgarson go , zamora is always on his heels when the balls brakes free for some reason as well bloody annoying .

we dont have anyone to replace him with though betty was crap, heidis gone to bardiff nobody else left in the squad to do his role

for me, he loses the ball too often, many attacks break down and he won't chase back..ie spurs comes to mind.
he won't ride the foul from behind like holt, thereby winning a free kick and we can gain ground and set up a "set piece", he seems quite easy to knock off the ball to.

he can link the play but is not a target man, cisse is lost and aj injured...so goals are few and far between.
Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:32 - Oct 22 with 630 viewsWatford_Ranger

He was up against two superb centre-halves often with a lack of support from midfield. It was one of his worst games for us but over the course of this so far very poor season he's been one of our best players.

The alternative is Cisse who gets caught offside approximately once every 34 seconds but leathers one in every now and again so escapes half as much criticism.
Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:32 - Oct 22 with 627 viewsngbqpr

I think we've found the answer to last week's thread re who would be the scapegoat if SWP didn't play

Aaaah, the great QPR tradition...Mick Leach, Tony Sealy, Don Masson, Simon Barker, Martin Allen - so many players who turned out ok (or in some cases so much more than ok) have had it rough with our crowd at some point....

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Login to get fewer ads

Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:36 - Oct 22 with 617 viewsToast_R

He is what he is.

Think he's better then what we've had for years upfront to be honest.

He is though and this is our fundemental problem, isolated so bloody much. There just isnt enough attacking support to make his styles of play more effective. You can put great balls into the box as much as you like but if you dont get bodies in the box to attack it, whats the f@cking point?

He needs an out and out goalscorer next up with him. Hate to say it but AJ's injury is a massive blow. Them two were pairing well.
Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:36 - Oct 22 with 615 viewsNov77

It wasn't just the goal he was at fault for, the header that hit the bar and the header that led to Cesar making a great save in the 2nd half were all down to Zamora not bothering to challenge the guy he was marking. If I were taking free kicks and corners for the opposition I would just aim for whoever Zamora is supposed to be marking.
I put a quote of Martin Jol's about Zamora under the match thoughts...."He hated defence and later said he hated crosses as well and that was the moment I thought 'maybe it is better to sell' and that is what we did."

says it all, at least HH would help out defensively and never shirk a challenge.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:40 - Oct 22 with 589 viewsToast_R

Are we man marking or zone marking at set pieces?

If it's man, why is Zamora being allocated Evertons biggest ariel threat and not a f@cking defender????

Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:44 - Oct 22 with 580 viewsNeil_SI

I thought he had a poor game, particularly with regards to his defensive responsibilities to the team at set pieces, but then again, so many were all over the place in that respect.

It didn't really for for him at the top end of the pitch, but at the same time, we were kicking it up to him and sometimes he was actually going for the ball with three Everton defenders at the same time. They're good players too, so it's always going to be a lottery whether he can a) win the ball and b) actually do anything with it.

If we're going to use him to his strengths, we need to find him with the right type of service and more often than not, that's balls into him around chest height. He's not got the pace or technical ability to play a different style, but we've also got to get the right support around him for when we do get the ball to him in the right areas, so even if he did win the ball there isn't a great deal happening around him after that point and that sort of defeats the object of playing him in the first place.

Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:45 - Oct 22 with 576 viewsTacticalR

I like him. He may not always play well, and he can run out of steam, but he always tries to fulfil his role and does a variety of different things. In comparison Cissé is very one-dimensional (even if lethal if given a good opportunity).

Air hostess clique

Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:47 - Oct 22 with 565 viewsSomersetHoops

Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:24 - Oct 22 by Northernr

Four goals scored in a crap side isn't bad for somebody not contributing anything.

Fair point, but some of those , I think, were scored when we were playing two up. My point really related to the specific game yesterday, when he didn't score or ever look like he was going to in the formation we were playing. He seemed unable to contribute anything and didn't look as if he wanted to be there or play in that position and I think played a big part in their goal by failing to try hard enough to defend it.

I also worry when its necessary for some players to say they support Hughes as it leaves the thought that perhaps some of the others don't which is more obvious by their playing attitude than anything they say. Did Zamora look as if he was trying to you yesterday? - if so Imust have missed it.

Who's Next?

Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:47 - Oct 22 with 561 viewsSpiritofGregory

Zamora - Fulham must be laughing all the way to the bank. Don't get me started on Johnson.

Zamora was telling everyone else to mark Distin. Why didn't he do it himself?
Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:51 - Oct 22 with 549 viewsTacticalR

Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:47 - Oct 22 by SpiritofGregory

Zamora - Fulham must be laughing all the way to the bank. Don't get me started on Johnson.

Zamora was telling everyone else to mark Distin. Why didn't he do it himself?

That's a fair point. For whatever reason, marking in the box from set pieces is not Zamora's game.

Air hostess clique

Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:51 - Oct 22 with 546 viewsWokingR

I actually felt a bit sorry for him yesterday (apart from his defending).
In the warm up he was practicing knocking a high ball down while Anton challenged him from behind. The problem with our formation yesterday was that so often he was isolated on his own and there was no one to pick up the knock down or near enough to benefit from a quick lay off.
Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:55 - Oct 22 with 521 viewsToast_R

Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:51 - Oct 22 by WokingR

I actually felt a bit sorry for him yesterday (apart from his defending).
In the warm up he was practicing knocking a high ball down while Anton challenged him from behind. The problem with our formation yesterday was that so often he was isolated on his own and there was no one to pick up the knock down or near enough to benefit from a quick lay off.

Sounds a bit rude...
Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:59 - Oct 22 with 505 viewsnoauthority

Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:24 - Oct 22 by Northernr

Lies, damn lies and *statistics*! Of the four goals one was a tap in from a penalty rebound, another was a headed tap in from a saved shot, another was a decent finish after a sublime pass from Faurlin and I haven't seen the Walsall goal yet! It's not exactly prolific.
Zamora - what is he good for? on 13:00 - Oct 22 with 502 viewsNorthernr

Zamora - what is he good for? on 12:59 - Oct 22 by noauthority

Lies, damn lies and *statistics*! Of the four goals one was a tap in from a penalty rebound, another was a headed tap in from a saved shot, another was a decent finish after a sublime pass from Faurlin and I haven't seen the Walsall goal yet! It's not exactly prolific.

I disagree.
Zamora - what is he good for? on 13:00 - Oct 22 with 497 viewsDANRANGER

Yesterday it didn't work out for him but I feel it is a product of the amount of changes we are making to the team. He has played with various attacking midfielders and Hughes needs to stick to a settled side which will benefit Zamora. Cisse is not an option if we play one up front and right now our defensive side of our game is not good enough to play 4-4-2 so Cisse needs to keep getting his 20 minutes and score a few goals to put pressure on Hughes to pick him. At the moment that is far from happening.

Hoilett/Taarabt need a run of games as they are our match winners and you can see they are still lacking a little bit of match practise and seem to be heavy legged at times. The better they get the better Zamora will be.
Zamora - what is he good for? on 13:00 - Oct 22 with 497 viewsTacticalR

I don't know how far we can trust the words of a manager of a rival team, but Jol did say this about Zamora:

'He hated defence and later said he hated crosses as well'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2213475/Martin-Jol-accuses-Bob

Personally, I wouldn't use him in defence to defend crosses.

Air hostess clique

Zamora - what is he good for? on 13:04 - Oct 22 with 488 viewsPhilmyRs

He’s played well this season, yesterday wasn’t one of his best performances. Just as one top performance doesn’t make you a great player — as SWP will testify — one poor performance doesn’t make you a cr@p player. Zamora’s been one of our better players this season, to knock him with ‘what does he offer’ to the team comments is ridiculous.

Slowly but surely Hughes is moving towards the team we all want to see. Faulin for Park and we’re arguably there. The one ‘arguably’ for me is I still think Cisse, if he can get his head right, would be in it. Sadly this would be at the expense of Zamora, but I still value BZ and If I see his name on the team sheet, I don’t get disheartened, he’s a good player.
Zamora - what is he good for? on 13:05 - Oct 22 with 485 viewsdaveB

i didn't think he had a good game yesterday but take him out of the side as we don't hold the ball up and look a poor side, you only notice how good he is when he doesn't play, similar to Helguson.

We could go with Cisse and Hoilett up front but as we saw in the last 20 minutes yesterday that leads to a lot of offside decsions and us not keeping the ball in the final thrid
Zamora - what is he good for? on 13:10 - Oct 22 with 470 viewsjamois

Zamora - what is he good for? on 13:05 - Oct 22 by daveB

i didn't think he had a good game yesterday but take him out of the side as we don't hold the ball up and look a poor side, you only notice how good he is when he doesn't play, similar to Helguson.

We could go with Cisse and Hoilett up front but as we saw in the last 20 minutes yesterday that leads to a lot of offside decsions and us not keeping the ball in the final thrid

Totally agree. But it also highlights our lack of options. A new dynamic forward is required. And one who can hold the ball up. Won't be easy to find, particularly if we're still near the bottom come January.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024