Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker 13:18 - Apr 2 with 2778 viewsHarbour

Tarbs inconsistent
Helguson missed a few
Now Remy

Why choose a striker ?

Everton have Baines
Scousers Gerrard
Scum Lampard
Hammers Noble ?

Who is the best deadball kicker we have?
Need someone who plays every week

I reckon Jenas might be worth a try seems to hit a ball cleanly
Any other takers?

Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 13:32 - Apr 2 with 2745 viewsbaz_qpr

Rednapp was furious, dont think Remy was meant to be taking it
Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 13:34 - Apr 2 with 2734 viewsNorthernr

What you're doing there is judging penalty taking as a skill, which I think is a mistake.

Sure, every now and again a player comes along who just seems to have a knack with penalties - Le Tissier, Alexander - and there are things you can do to help like practising and not changing your mind on the way up to the ball and so on. But nobody would make it as even a semi professional footballer if they weren't able to score more often than not with a free shot from 12 yards. No goalkeeper in the world is physically able to get down into the corners having waited for the ball to be kicked first and so they have to guess which way the player is going. The whole thing is probably about 90% mental and 10% physical.

I don't think it's any coincidence that last time we were relegated we missed three penalties in the season as well. When you add in the pressure of being in a relegation battle, the knowledge that your miss could by that costly, it's an added mental problem for the players taking the kicks. I fancy if we'd been safe in 12th Taarabt and Remy would both have scored their kicks because they'd have been far more relaxed about them.

So I don't really think it matters who takes them, unless Redknapp believes one of the players to be much mentally stronger than the others.
Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 13:35 - Apr 2 with 2732 viewsessextaxiboy

Some one who can burst the kin net .

Blast it and unless you hit the keeper its in .... IMO
Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 13:48 - Apr 2 with 2703 viewsheadhoops

Townsend - good technique and left footed.

or a senior pro who can step up to the mark and take the pressure like.....park, boswinger, SWP....errr no.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 14:00 - Apr 2 with 2675 viewsJonDoeman

piss poor.

It Is What It Is !!

Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 14:01 - Apr 2 with 2674 viewsHarbour

Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 13:34 - Apr 2 by Northernr

What you're doing there is judging penalty taking as a skill, which I think is a mistake.

Sure, every now and again a player comes along who just seems to have a knack with penalties - Le Tissier, Alexander - and there are things you can do to help like practising and not changing your mind on the way up to the ball and so on. But nobody would make it as even a semi professional footballer if they weren't able to score more often than not with a free shot from 12 yards. No goalkeeper in the world is physically able to get down into the corners having waited for the ball to be kicked first and so they have to guess which way the player is going. The whole thing is probably about 90% mental and 10% physical.

I don't think it's any coincidence that last time we were relegated we missed three penalties in the season as well. When you add in the pressure of being in a relegation battle, the knowledge that your miss could by that costly, it's an added mental problem for the players taking the kicks. I fancy if we'd been safe in 12th Taarabt and Remy would both have scored their kicks because they'd have been far more relaxed about them.

So I don't really think it matters who takes them, unless Redknapp believes one of the players to be much mentally stronger than the others.

Take your point North so I would add deadball expert with ability to handle pressure and zone out everything bar the posts and goalee in front of him.
The practice bit makes sense as it gives you belief.. I still think a dedicated Pen taker would be best even Helguson missed when we were ahead against Wigan last year. Its also not a coincidence that good penalty takers are also great at free kicks....

Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 14:01 - Apr 2 with 2668 viewsWeaverQPR

Pick your spot,decent run up and fcking blast it, im not a fan of the casual side foot penalty. When its a pressure kick just bury it, if your 3-0 then by all means go for a dink.

@WeavQPR

Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 14:04 - Apr 2 with 2659 viewsfakekerby

Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 13:34 - Apr 2 by Northernr

It's definitely a skill - look at Ricky Lambert, Craig Gardner - do they ever miss?

Look at the likes of Rooney who take them and frequently miss them - they don't have the skill.
Login to get fewer ads

Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 14:05 - Apr 2 with 2659 viewsLewes_r

I agree with Northen. Its all mental.

You'd need someone who has no doubts or underlying mental fragility.

I think that basically rules out our entire squad

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 14:06 - Apr 2 with 2656 viewsLewes_r

Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 14:04 - Apr 2 by fakekerby

It's definitely a skill - look at Ricky Lambert, Craig Gardner - do they ever miss?

Look at the likes of Rooney who take them and frequently miss them - they don't have the skill.

the "skill" is in their heads not technique

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 14:07 - Apr 2 with 2653 viewsQPunkR

A) Heidar isn't in a position to help us out with this now, and B) he only missed one pen for us, and that was in a game he'd previously scored from the spot in. He wasn't called the Iceman for nothing.

Apart from that, all 3 of our woeful pens were placed. If you're no good at placing 'em just do what Fat Frank does. Personally, I think a professional footballer should be able to pick out that spot the keeper can't reach, up in the corners, 90% of the time at least. If not, more and more practice at it. Of course it also comes down to mentality, but if you can consistently hit that spot then you've got more of a chance when the actually big moment arrives. Sorted!

QPR - "shit but local"

Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 14:21 - Apr 2 with 2631 viewsblacky200

Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 14:06 - Apr 2 by Lewes_r

the "skill" is in their heads not technique

I disagree with this statement. There is a lot of skill involved. The penalty needs to be disguised. Remy's last night was p*ss poor. He couldn't of made it more obvious to the keeper if he had pointed which way he was going. Look at the 2 pens last night and tell me which was more obvious.
Personally I hate these side footed penalties. If the keeper guesses the right way he has a good chance of saving it. Put your foot through the ball the way Lampard does and even if the keeper guesses right he still has a hell of job getting to it.
Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 14:25 - Apr 2 with 2628 viewsdaveB

Taarabts only missed one I think, hardly inconsistent, he's scored plenty but he had obviously been told not to take it as he handed the ball straight over with no complaints which was good to see.

All easy in hindsight but when they got the penalty I was hoping Remy would take it, I'm not sure I'd have fancied anyone else to take it. For one horrible second I thought Mbia was going to take it

Clives right though, it's all in the head. Taarabt never looked like missing a penalty in our promotion year, he looked a nervous wreck when he took the one against Norwich, it has to be all in your head.
Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 14:45 - Apr 2 with 2602 viewsingeminate

If anyone other than Remy had taken it and then missed I'd have wanted to know why Remy didn't take it.

Thems be the breaks at the moment.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 14:47 - Apr 2 with 2595 viewsJuzzie

Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 14:00 - Apr 2 by JonDoeman

piss poor.

Should have been retaken Duff clearly encroached allowing him to get to the ball first and clear itl.

Piss poor penalty though. Should have put his laces through it and staright down the middle.

Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 14:54 - Apr 2 with 2579 viewsDrewster

look how quick the Fulham players were to react in comparison to ours.
Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 14:55 - Apr 2 with 2572 viewsNov77

If cesar had of guessed right it would have been an easy save for him, berbatov's penalty was worse than remy's, however it doesn't matter how they go in as long as they do.

I was listening to Hoddle's ten greatest ten's the other night, he said he once saw maradona score a penalty that didn't even hit the back of the net!!!!

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 16:03 - Apr 2 with 2516 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 14:55 - Apr 2 by Nov77

If cesar had of guessed right it would have been an easy save for him, berbatov's penalty was worse than remy's, however it doesn't matter how they go in as long as they do.

I was listening to Hoddle's ten greatest ten's the other night, he said he once saw maradona score a penalty that didn't even hit the back of the net!!!!

Berbatov did what Helguson does and it clearly works. Their penalties are not good , not powerful and if the keeper dives the right way he would easily save it but they must do something to make the keeper go the wrong way, its a skill a technique, and it mostly seems to work, they basically score using their minds and not their feet

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 16:10 - Apr 2 with 2504 viewsTheBlob

Nobody's bothered to assess the skill of the keeper then.
It's not a god given right to score from a spot kick.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 16:13 - Apr 2 with 2493 viewsNov77

Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 16:10 - Apr 2 by TheBlob

Nobody's bothered to assess the skill of the keeper then.
It's not a god given right to score from a spot kick.

that's what bugs me about england, everyone says we are terrible at taking penalties, we are worse at saving them. In six penalty shoot outs I think our keepers have only made a total of one or two saves.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 21:24 - Apr 2 with 2386 viewsWestonsuperR

There is definitely a skill to taking pens, which is why you have successful takers however the mental side of it also plays a part, so bit split in this debate.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but think we are the first in the history of the Prem to miss 4 pens in a row.
Time to nominate a dedicated Penalty Taker on 21:32 - Apr 2 with 2384 viewsJigsore

that said Schwarzer is a better penalty saver than most

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024