Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hogan 20:56 - Mar 1 with 6377 viewsdingdangblue

Could he be the best we've ever had? Got everything , lightening fast, strong, good in the air, skillful, great shot on him and even his misskicks find the back of the net! Unplayable today .

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Hogan on 08:11 - Mar 2 with 1991 viewsThacks_Rabbits

I rate Holt by far the highest - Lambert I would say appeared more lazy than he was - if you look at where he is playing now and his number he reminds me of a former Southampton player who was considered lazy by some. I think he was just better than the players he was with and this caused the apparant lazyness.

Partnership wise I think Holt/Lambert would certainly be regarded as the best in recent years.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Hogan on 08:27 - Mar 2 with 1969 viewsdingdangblue

Hogan on 08:00 - Mar 2 by nordenblue

Surely Alfie should be higher than Murray and Cog if its off their careers due to his time in the prem and goals there?

With 2 hat tricks now since Hogan turned down the move to Peterborough you would have to say his stock and pricetag will have risen even more. The club could be thanking their lucky stars come season end if he's led us to promotion and doubled his worth. I imagine he will get a lot of coverage for the live game on Friday too. All good.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Hogan on 09:25 - Mar 2 with 1891 viewsTalkingSutty

Hogan on 08:27 - Mar 2 by dingdangblue

With 2 hat tricks now since Hogan turned down the move to Peterborough you would have to say his stock and pricetag will have risen even more. The club could be thanking their lucky stars come season end if he's led us to promotion and doubled his worth. I imagine he will get a lot of coverage for the live game on Friday too. All good.

Agree, is that 7 goals since the transfer window closed (2 hat tricks)? Its a double whammy with Scott because him not leaving in the January transfer window looks like it will ensure that we will finish the season there or thereabouts and every time he hits the net his stock rises.
Hogan on 10:02 - Mar 2 with 1840 viewsaleanddale

He certainly has been the marquee signing Hilly promised!!

Holt Lambert Hogan - Le fondre Dagnall Taylor Murray.

I never saw Reg but stuff of legend must be up there.

His stock has risen further.

Lets hope he rattles bury on Friday live on sky!!
Hogan on 11:03 - Mar 2 with 1790 viewsAlexF

surprised no mention of Dave Cross here - he's the best striker I've ever seen at Dale, and I think he went on to prove his quality. He's listed as a club legend at West Ham, and was a consistent decent scorer in the top league for years. Reg was brilliant for his dedication, effort and his ability to hit a football, you had to love him, somehow he was a perfect match for the club, but skill wasnt his great strength, lets put it that way. More important than the best sriker, we've seen easily the best quality of football in my lifetime in the two Hill spells, so lets recognise him as the real hero, however long it may last...
Hogan on 11:13 - Mar 2 with 1771 viewsdingdangblue

Hogan on 09:25 - Mar 2 by TalkingSutty

Agree, is that 7 goals since the transfer window closed (2 hat tricks)? Its a double whammy with Scott because him not leaving in the January transfer window looks like it will ensure that we will finish the season there or thereabouts and every time he hits the net his stock rises.

Now I know £750k was a great offer from Peterborough but the problem now arrises - what can the club afford to turn down and what is Hogans true value if he can produce these goals in the Championship or even Premiership? Imagine what Peterborough would be saying had he joined them and just scored 2 hat tricks? They'd be talking at about a Dwight Gayle type of situation. Should we be offering Hogan an improved deal ourselves like we did with Dawson? Could certainly do with a longer deal than he's on now even if we know he's 99% certain to go in the summer.

Hogan on 12:01 - Mar 2 with 1693 viewsNR_Dale

Hogan on 11:13 - Mar 2 by dingdangblue

Now I know £750k was a great offer from Peterborough but the problem now arrises - what can the club afford to turn down and what is Hogans true value if he can produce these goals in the Championship or even Premiership? Imagine what Peterborough would be saying had he joined them and just scored 2 hat tricks? They'd be talking at about a Dwight Gayle type of situation. Should we be offering Hogan an improved deal ourselves like we did with Dawson? Could certainly do with a longer deal than he's on now even if we know he's 99% certain to go in the summer.

Why offer him a new deal??? If I am correct he signed a 2 year deal in summer with an option of a 3rd year, don't know if it's the player or the club that can exercise this 3rd year option.
Hogan on 12:05 - Mar 2 with 1689 viewsDaleFan7

Got to be Holt by far for me. I've watched Dale since 93/94 and Holt is the best player I've seen in a Dale shirt and will possibly ever see in a Dale shirt. His class was obvious and I said at an early stage in his Dale career he'd be a premiership striker and a good one at that someday. He was overlooked by England, I don't know why?

As for Hogan, I'd put him second. It was obvious in preseason he'd be class this year and the bids for him so early in his football league career and the goals he's scored back that up. He's certainly a good championship striker, whether the premiership would be a step too far I don't know. He will 99% be gone after this season so let's enjoy him while we can!
Login to get fewer ads

Hogan on 14:40 - Mar 2 with 1604 viewsroccydaleian

Arf! https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bhun6owCYAEOJ4P.png:large
Hogan on 15:07 - Mar 2 with 1556 viewsShun

Hogan on 22:32 - Mar 1 by RotherhamDale

I'll always remember Murray's winner at Saltergate against Chesterfield. I think it was our 4th in a 4-3 win.

Stanton cleared it, Murray collected, turned and beat a couple of defenders, rounded the keeper and put it in without even breaking a sweat.

Quality goal, complete with long-hand man.

Hogan on 15:11 - Mar 2 with 1543 views49thseason

Hogan on 11:13 - Mar 2 by dingdangblue

As I said before the transfer window closed, stick a £2m price tag on him and wait to see who bites. You can always negotiate down but its hard to negotiate up.
Hogan on 15:18 - Mar 2 with 1521 viewskirbys

Like many i have seen a good number of forwards that have excelled at Rochdale. Without doubt Scot has the potential to be included with some of the greats. There are a couple of reasons for suggesting it may be premature to say he is already the best.
.1 Scot is playing in a truly special team. In my view this is probably the best all round team I have seen in over 55 years of supporting the dale. Scot is benefiting from this fact. He is proving he can finish, but he has the advantage over a number of those mentioned that players the quality of Hendo, Vincenti, young Allen who by the way is improving so quickly he could well turn out to be a very special player also, lund, Rose and Done, Cav etc etc. The quality supporting him is awesome. Others never had this kind of support yet we won many games through their more individual contribution.
2. Scot is still learning and I am sure his coaches and self would admit he has more to learn about finding his colleagues when his scoring opportunity is less than theirs. He has to lift his head and look for others and make a decision and find them. This will improve I am sure with experience, then I believe we have an all time great.

Many have intimated in this thread that we are simply custodians of his talent for a short period. Maybe he would benefit for another season to develop, to prove himself at a higher level (with Dale I hope) and secure the right fee for his potential.
Hogan on 15:19 - Mar 2 with 1520 viewsD_Alien

Hogan on 11:03 - Mar 2 by AlexF

surprised no mention of Dave Cross here - he's the best striker I've ever seen at Dale, and I think he went on to prove his quality. He's listed as a club legend at West Ham, and was a consistent decent scorer in the top league for years. Reg was brilliant for his dedication, effort and his ability to hit a football, you had to love him, somehow he was a perfect match for the club, but skill wasnt his great strength, lets put it that way. More important than the best sriker, we've seen easily the best quality of football in my lifetime in the two Hill spells, so lets recognise him as the real hero, however long it may last...

Was thinking of mentioning Dave Cross, but the most talented striker from that era was Tony Buck, whose broken leg ended what would have been a fabulous career. He was rated the best forward in the old Div 3 (L1) after we were promoted.

I'd rate Hogan on a par with Tony Buck, so that tells you how much potential he has.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Hogan on 17:46 - Mar 2 with 1412 viewsAlexF

Hogan on 15:19 - Mar 2 by D_Alien

Was thinking of mentioning Dave Cross, but the most talented striker from that era was Tony Buck, whose broken leg ended what would have been a fabulous career. He was rated the best forward in the old Div 3 (L1) after we were promoted.

I'd rate Hogan on a par with Tony Buck, so that tells you how much potential he has.

Dave was a little after Tony, who was a great player. The difference was that Tony was very tackle-shy which limited him quite a bit. He would never have made the top grade, which Dave did. I well remember waiting for Tony to emerge after a game to get an autograph and out he came, big smile on his face, fag in mouth and happily signed, Great days.

I agree that Tony's broken leg was a huge blow for us, made him tackle=shy to the point where he couldnt continue for us, very sad.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2014 18:03]
Hogan on 18:33 - Mar 2 with 1356 viewsdogboy

Hogan on 15:18 - Mar 2 by kirbys

Like many i have seen a good number of forwards that have excelled at Rochdale. Without doubt Scot has the potential to be included with some of the greats. There are a couple of reasons for suggesting it may be premature to say he is already the best.
.1 Scot is playing in a truly special team. In my view this is probably the best all round team I have seen in over 55 years of supporting the dale. Scot is benefiting from this fact. He is proving he can finish, but he has the advantage over a number of those mentioned that players the quality of Hendo, Vincenti, young Allen who by the way is improving so quickly he could well turn out to be a very special player also, lund, Rose and Done, Cav etc etc. The quality supporting him is awesome. Others never had this kind of support yet we won many games through their more individual contribution.
2. Scot is still learning and I am sure his coaches and self would admit he has more to learn about finding his colleagues when his scoring opportunity is less than theirs. He has to lift his head and look for others and make a decision and find them. This will improve I am sure with experience, then I believe we have an all time great.

Many have intimated in this thread that we are simply custodians of his talent for a short period. Maybe he would benefit for another season to develop, to prove himself at a higher level (with Dale I hope) and secure the right fee for his potential.

Totally agree with Kirby, the best thing that has happened to Hogan is that he is finding his level in this league, and as Steve Claridge said when the ball bobbles and you can still knock it in that makes a great striker! (Love the bit about keeping his head up as he will really develop this skill and make him a real quality striker)
Hogan on 13:31 - Mar 3 with 1225 viewsTalkingSutty

Glowing tribute from one of the Oxford defenders (Michael Raynes) in todays Sun newspaper.

"Scott is one of the best centre forwards I have ever played against. I hold my hands up...I felt a million miles off. Everything just fell to him. Hes very good and you cant give players of his quality chances like that "
Hogan on 15:37 - Mar 3 with 1148 viewspioneer

Hogan on 17:46 - Mar 2 by AlexF

Dave was a little after Tony, who was a great player. The difference was that Tony was very tackle-shy which limited him quite a bit. He would never have made the top grade, which Dave did. I well remember waiting for Tony to emerge after a game to get an autograph and out he came, big smile on his face, fag in mouth and happily signed, Great days.

I agree that Tony's broken leg was a huge blow for us, made him tackle=shy to the point where he couldnt continue for us, very sad.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2014 18:03]

Albert Whitehurst would also be in this list but for the fact that no one on here is old enough to have seen him play I suspect. Scored goals both before and after the change in the offside law like they were going out of fashion.
Hogan on 16:21 - Mar 3 with 1114 viewsYadHoDale

Its unlikely but not impossible that someone living will remember Albert Whitehurst. I met an old chap 3 years ago in Manchester who remembered watching City at Hyde Road - so pre-1922! Albert was playing for Dale in the mid-1920s, so you never know.
Hogan on 16:59 - Mar 3 with 1072 viewsPDIDDY

Hogan on 13:31 - Mar 3 by TalkingSutty

Glowing tribute from one of the Oxford defenders (Michael Raynes) in todays Sun newspaper.

"Scott is one of the best centre forwards I have ever played against. I hold my hands up...I felt a million miles off. Everything just fell to him. Hes very good and you cant give players of his quality chances like that "

Nice brace for hogan... Hat trick? Ryan Lowe school of claiming goals

Gissa job

Hogan on 17:23 - Mar 3 with 1036 viewsTalkingSutty

Hogan on 16:59 - Mar 3 by PDIDDY

Nice brace for hogan... Hat trick? Ryan Lowe school of claiming goals

Never a wise move to belittle the achievements of the enemy prior to a local derby, not when its the leagues leading goalscorer, that's just asking for trouble !!
Hogan on 17:43 - Mar 3 with 1010 viewsBrierls

Hogan on 05:46 - Mar 2 by Londondale

Depends how you're comparing them:

a) Time at Dale:

1. Holt (best striker the club has ever seen IMO)
2. CoG (IMO his signing got basically got us promotion - an absolute machine)
3. Hogan (Not yet achieved quite what CoG did!)
4. Lambert (Bit lazy though had sheer class about him)
5. Murray (somehow just don't remember his spell in the same light as the above)
6. Dagnall (hard working, great season in 2009-10, not as good a finisher as ALF)
7. ALF (probably our best goal-getter but wasn't even catching the team ahead of Daggers when he was here)

b) In terms of time after the Dale:

1. Lambert (probably regarded as being the most prestigious by media, Roy Hodgson etc)
2. Holt (awesome at Norwich and should have at least had a call from England)
3. Murray (Superb for Brighton/Palace)
4. CoG (Never going to be a prem player somehow)
5. ALF (Played and scored in prem but not up to that level IMO)
6. Dagnall (As above)
?. Hogan?

The 'Time at Dale' is the order I'd put them in too. Holty is top of the list by some distance, my favourite Dale player ever.
Hogan on 17:48 - Mar 3 with 998 viewsPDIDDY

Hogan on 17:23 - Mar 3 by TalkingSutty

Never a wise move to belittle the achievements of the enemy prior to a local derby, not when its the leagues leading goalscorer, that's just asking for trouble !!

I'm not belittling anybody, just saying what I see, remember plenty doing the same when Lowe claimed a goal, more to life than falling out... Friends will be friends

Gissa job

Hogan on 18:04 - Mar 3 with 985 viewsrod_leach

Ryan Lowe did nothing wrong. I'd expect any footballer to do the same. And for England which makes it even better!
Hogan on 18:05 - Mar 3 with 978 views442Dale

Hogan on 18:04 - Mar 3 by rod_leach

Ryan Lowe did nothing wrong. I'd expect any footballer to do the same. And for England which makes it even better!

Lowe's claiming Nugent's cap now too? He never stops.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Hogan on 18:07 - Mar 3 with 967 viewsrod_leach

Hogan on 18:05 - Mar 3 by 442Dale

Lowe's claiming Nugent's cap now too? He never stops.

Oops!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024