Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport 13:30 - Nov 7 with 13932 viewsaleanddale

I have just dropped off my elderly parents at Manchester airport.

WTF - for dropping off passengers ( I mean less than 5 minutes ) to drop them off with bags and a charge of £4.00.

this is £48 per hour!! Profiteering at its worse - Shame on you Manchester airport.

A definite boycott from me - Has any one managed to drop off friends / relatives and get around this charge?.

any ideas welcome.
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 07:42 - Nov 8 with 2386 viewsEllDale

Great explanation of the phrase "Death Valley". It was always known as that from the first week that that section of the motorway opened.

And Rochdale MBC regularly receive a dividend from the profits of Manchester Airport!
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 09:02 - Nov 8 with 2339 viewsDiddyDave

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 06:55 - Nov 8 by Sandyman

"We" own part of it!
https://www.magairports.com/about-us/corporate-structure/

So 35.5% is owned by IFM Investors,does that mean 35.5% of the profits head Down Under?
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 11:18 - Nov 8 with 2251 viewsMorden

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 15:12 - Nov 7 by rochdaleriddler

Agree it’s crap, Leeds Bradford is better, but they have had charges longer, and flights tend to be dearer. The direct link to the airport from the Calderdale line was supposed to be open now, but is postponed Indefinately due to not opening the extra platforms at Piccadilly . Whilst we piss away billions on HS2 northern transport updates that would make real difference are mothballed

Now here's a thing, going off topic a bit. I never really understood the rationale behind HS2 (cutting journey time London to Manchester from 2 to 1 hour is going to improve the northern economy - seriously?) and the Birmingham to Leeds section might not even happen. I always thought that it would be more useful to have a service where you could put a vehicle on a train in London (cars and lorries) and then have it delivered somewhere along the M62 corridor via a Midlands stop. There would be substantial savings in time, fossil fuel and hassle. There's even a successful precedent (Eurotunnel).

Thing is, I've no idea where to make the suggestion whereby the notion might gain traction. Can anybody suggest what I might do?
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 11:39 - Nov 8 with 2235 viewsDaleiLama

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 11:18 - Nov 8 by Morden

Now here's a thing, going off topic a bit. I never really understood the rationale behind HS2 (cutting journey time London to Manchester from 2 to 1 hour is going to improve the northern economy - seriously?) and the Birmingham to Leeds section might not even happen. I always thought that it would be more useful to have a service where you could put a vehicle on a train in London (cars and lorries) and then have it delivered somewhere along the M62 corridor via a Midlands stop. There would be substantial savings in time, fossil fuel and hassle. There's even a successful precedent (Eurotunnel).

Thing is, I've no idea where to make the suggestion whereby the notion might gain traction. Can anybody suggest what I might do?

Job done. Where better than a Dale message board? Only a matter of time now …………..

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 13:06 - Nov 8 with 2181 viewskrafty80

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 11:18 - Nov 8 by Morden

There was a similar idea proposed a few years ago https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Railway_(UK)

But generally speaking there is very little new rail freight infrastructure built; lorry carrying services do run but mostly through tunnels and stuff on very specific routes. It's common in the Alps in particular, but funded through road/truck taxes that dwarf anything in this country. The Swiss in particular have held a series of referendums approving the removal of trucks from their motorways and the construction of miles and miles of new railways; but most of the truck traffic is en route to other countries anyway (Germany > Italy etc).

In Britain we are incapable of developing long term infrastructure because we know the cost of everything and the value of nothing. The decisions in the mid-70s to halt the Picc-Vic rail tunnel under the centre of town and a decade later to close the Woodhead line between Mcr and Yorkshire both now look serious flawed in hindsight.
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 15:00 - Nov 8 with 2108 viewsflyerdale

If you don't want to pay the drop off charges then ask to be dropped off at the free park and ride at jetparks 1. The shuttle bus is every 15 mins to the terminals, if your in a taxi the driver isn't fussed where you get dropped off as they gain nothing by passing the cost onto the customer. There is a pass for taxi drivers but by the time you factor in the cost of it compared to the savings it just isn't worth it unless you are there many times a day. Manchester Airport had to do something about the congestion on the departure areas as alot of people were using it to pick up aswell which led to horrible congestion at peak times making for very nervous passengers who had to make flights. Again its those who are selfish that have caused those that follow rules etc to suffer. You cannot dodge the pick up fees though. Rumour is red lines and cameras are being put in place on all approach roads like Liverpool Airport has so beware!!!
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 15:09 - Nov 8 with 2101 viewsDaleiLama

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 15:00 - Nov 8 by flyerdale

If you don't want to pay the drop off charges then ask to be dropped off at the free park and ride at jetparks 1. The shuttle bus is every 15 mins to the terminals, if your in a taxi the driver isn't fussed where you get dropped off as they gain nothing by passing the cost onto the customer. There is a pass for taxi drivers but by the time you factor in the cost of it compared to the savings it just isn't worth it unless you are there many times a day. Manchester Airport had to do something about the congestion on the departure areas as alot of people were using it to pick up aswell which led to horrible congestion at peak times making for very nervous passengers who had to make flights. Again its those who are selfish that have caused those that follow rules etc to suffer. You cannot dodge the pick up fees though. Rumour is red lines and cameras are being put in place on all approach roads like Liverpool Airport has so beware!!!

It would be a very simple matter to give 15 free minutes in the short term car parks to remove the congestion and the charge. The only drawback with this solution is they want to charge. It's a revenue stream for doing sweet FA. Let's not pretend this is about congestion just because airport spokespeople say it is. Most countries around the world operate a system with 15 minutes free drop off. When I tell people abroad about this they cannot believe it.

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 15:13 - Nov 8 with 2099 viewsflyerdale

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 15:09 - Nov 8 by DaleiLama

It would be a very simple matter to give 15 free minutes in the short term car parks to remove the congestion and the charge. The only drawback with this solution is they want to charge. It's a revenue stream for doing sweet FA. Let's not pretend this is about congestion just because airport spokespeople say it is. Most countries around the world operate a system with 15 minutes free drop off. When I tell people abroad about this they cannot believe it.

The car parks aren't big enough at the moment for that, though once the new massive multi story one for the new terminal is open hopefully there might be that provision put in place but I can't see it. Manchester are one of the last airports to charge for drop offs on the country (Luton is £6 to drop off) so they did hold off for a few years. As a taxi driver things are getting better regarding drop off but worse for pick ups as the car parks aren't big enough at peak times.
Login to get fewer ads

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 15:33 - Nov 8 with 2084 viewsDaleiLama

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 15:13 - Nov 8 by flyerdale

The car parks aren't big enough at the moment for that, though once the new massive multi story one for the new terminal is open hopefully there might be that provision put in place but I can't see it. Manchester are one of the last airports to charge for drop offs on the country (Luton is £6 to drop off) so they did hold off for a few years. As a taxi driver things are getting better regarding drop off but worse for pick ups as the car parks aren't big enough at peak times.

I'm not holding my breath either flyer. Like I'm not holding my breath prices at the kiosks at Dale will come down, or the price of a bottle of water at the airport or on the plane will ever be reasonable or hotels for the world cup will be affordable etc etc etc. Fleecing captive audiences will go on til the end of time. I recently had to pay €300/night for a room during an expo in Madrid which would normally have been less than half of that.

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 02:30 - Nov 9 with 1972 viewspioneer

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 15:33 - Nov 8 by DaleiLama

I'm not holding my breath either flyer. Like I'm not holding my breath prices at the kiosks at Dale will come down, or the price of a bottle of water at the airport or on the plane will ever be reasonable or hotels for the world cup will be affordable etc etc etc. Fleecing captive audiences will go on til the end of time. I recently had to pay €300/night for a room during an expo in Madrid which would normally have been less than half of that.

Its all about what governments will allow - and the anything goes attitude in UK is the problem. I fly great deal with my work as well as for vacations etc and have not come across drop off charges at any airport outside of UK. I might just be flying to the wrong places.

Similarly some places charge huge supplements for public transport stops at airport stations while others see it as part of the regular public transport pricing structure.
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 10:18 - Nov 30 with 1756 viewsDaleiLama

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 02:30 - Nov 9 by pioneer

Its all about what governments will allow - and the anything goes attitude in UK is the problem. I fly great deal with my work as well as for vacations etc and have not come across drop off charges at any airport outside of UK. I might just be flying to the wrong places.

Similarly some places charge huge supplements for public transport stops at airport stations while others see it as part of the regular public transport pricing structure.

Quick further rant on this after my trip yesterday.

Blighty: 10 mins queue to get into multi-storey car park at T1 …….. entrance uses same service road as drop-off zone ……. so yeah, those charges have certainly relieved traffic congestion wonderfully well (not).

Dusseldorf: 10 minutes free drop off, no queue at rush hour, civilised farewell to distributor and traffic ran as smooth as a baby's backside.

So we are paying twice to use the airport road, once through road tax and once through a toll and suffering delays. The Jormans pay once and have no delays. To think we were ingenious enough to crack the enigma codes to win the war, but we end up with this 70+ years later. Hmmmm.

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 10:27 - Nov 30 with 1735 viewsnordenblue

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 10:18 - Nov 30 by DaleiLama

Quick further rant on this after my trip yesterday.

Blighty: 10 mins queue to get into multi-storey car park at T1 …….. entrance uses same service road as drop-off zone ……. so yeah, those charges have certainly relieved traffic congestion wonderfully well (not).

Dusseldorf: 10 minutes free drop off, no queue at rush hour, civilised farewell to distributor and traffic ran as smooth as a baby's backside.

So we are paying twice to use the airport road, once through road tax and once through a toll and suffering delays. The Jormans pay once and have no delays. To think we were ingenious enough to crack the enigma codes to win the war, but we end up with this 70+ years later. Hmmmm.

Having been over to Germany a few times and for my stag do, it would appear they replicate many things we as a country do only to refine them so they run like clockwork, as a friend said Germany is how England "could/should" be.

The train service is brilliant over there and the taxis,well I was most disappointed to get in a brand new merc rather than a Y reg Corolla that smells like a gone off pasty.
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 12:31 - Nov 30 with 1689 viewsmingthemerciless

Read your history. The Poles started us off with the " Enigma " machine.
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 12:59 - Nov 30 with 1661 viewsDaleiLama

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 12:31 - Nov 30 by mingthemerciless

Read your history. The Poles started us off with the " Enigma " machine.

And that stops the people at Bletchley Park being a very bright and ingenious bunch cracking the Enigma codes how exactly Ming?

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 13:12 - Nov 30 with 1636 viewsEllDale

As I understand things it was German traitors who leaked Enigma's existence to Polish intelligence in the mid-1930's?
We weren't able to decode it successfully until Bletchley Park was set up.
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 14:00 - Nov 30 with 1604 viewsD_Alien

It was the capture of an Enigma machine aboard U-559 by a British warship that enabled the code to be successfully deciphered - by mainly British intelligence (men & women) with the aid of some foreign nationals

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 17:24 - Nov 30 with 1528 viewssmaclad1

At the end of the day, ironically, it was German efficiency that did for them. They had a plan, but that meant the plan had to be broadcast through strategy being communicated to all branches of their armed forces leaving it open to interception.

Meanwhile, we Brits just bungled along. I sometimes think that the comedy capers in the likes of Allo Allo and Dad's Army actually overstated the competence and professionalism of the British war effort. We had a pre-James Bond-esque group including Barnes Wallis mucking about with over technical weapons, while another lot were in cahoots with the Americans wanting to blow up the world. Bomber Harris was given permission to carpet bomb German cities against considered opinion and he later objected to a change of targets because it would tale pressure of civilians. At the end of the day we were rescued by the Russians coming in from the east and the Americans from the west while we heap glory on ourselves by celebrating Dunkirk - which we celebrate but was again was another fu-ck up of the highest order.

We always seem to end up relying on others. Joining the EU rescued us from probable terminal economic decline that was becoming apparent in the early 70's and propelled Britain into one of the top 5 economies in the world - for which we should be as grateful to the EU as we are to those who saved us in the second world war. Ah...I see a flaw there...let's hope someone else comes along in 30 years to rescue us.
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 17:40 - Nov 30 with 1509 viewsD_Alien

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 17:24 - Nov 30 by smaclad1

At the end of the day, ironically, it was German efficiency that did for them. They had a plan, but that meant the plan had to be broadcast through strategy being communicated to all branches of their armed forces leaving it open to interception.

Meanwhile, we Brits just bungled along. I sometimes think that the comedy capers in the likes of Allo Allo and Dad's Army actually overstated the competence and professionalism of the British war effort. We had a pre-James Bond-esque group including Barnes Wallis mucking about with over technical weapons, while another lot were in cahoots with the Americans wanting to blow up the world. Bomber Harris was given permission to carpet bomb German cities against considered opinion and he later objected to a change of targets because it would tale pressure of civilians. At the end of the day we were rescued by the Russians coming in from the east and the Americans from the west while we heap glory on ourselves by celebrating Dunkirk - which we celebrate but was again was another fu-ck up of the highest order.

We always seem to end up relying on others. Joining the EU rescued us from probable terminal economic decline that was becoming apparent in the early 70's and propelled Britain into one of the top 5 economies in the world - for which we should be as grateful to the EU as we are to those who saved us in the second world war. Ah...I see a flaw there...let's hope someone else comes along in 30 years to rescue us.

On the other hand, but for our stubborn-as-bastards refusal to give up the fight when no-one else was fighting the most evil regime in modern history with all the tools of modern industry at it's disposal, there wouldn't have been a platform for the Americans to launch D-Day and the European Union wouldn't exist

The effort to maintain our freedom between 1940-42 cost us such a vast amount (when we'd barely recovered from the first conflict in terms of rebuilding our industrial base) that our economy was shattered again, whilst Germany received assistance to rebuild and then outstripped our economy. There's only one thing you're right about, and that's German efficiency
[Post edited 30 Nov 2018 17:41]

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 17:52 - Nov 30 with 1494 viewssmaclad1

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 17:40 - Nov 30 by D_Alien

On the other hand, but for our stubborn-as-bastards refusal to give up the fight when no-one else was fighting the most evil regime in modern history with all the tools of modern industry at it's disposal, there wouldn't have been a platform for the Americans to launch D-Day and the European Union wouldn't exist

The effort to maintain our freedom between 1940-42 cost us such a vast amount (when we'd barely recovered from the first conflict in terms of rebuilding our industrial base) that our economy was shattered again, whilst Germany received assistance to rebuild and then outstripped our economy. There's only one thing you're right about, and that's German efficiency
[Post edited 30 Nov 2018 17:41]

The 'standing alone' argument is one that seems to have a lasting currency but ignores the fact that Commonwealth countries declared war against Germany shortly after we did and contributed to the war effort, as did the displaced émigré services that gathered in Britain in the face of the German advance. Plus there was the tacit support of the US given despite their reluctance to get involved in European issues. Britain never stood alone - we were just the last stop on one front line.
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 19:46 - Nov 30 with 1446 viewsmingthemerciless

We were going down the blind alley of seeing the problem as one of linguistics. The Poles were the first to realise it was a problem that could only be solved using mathematical formulae. They did all the spade work in the early days. Not everything you see coming from Hollywood is true, you do know that don't you ?
[Post edited 30 Nov 2018 19:47]
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 19:57 - Nov 30 with 1437 viewsD_Alien

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 17:52 - Nov 30 by smaclad1

The 'standing alone' argument is one that seems to have a lasting currency but ignores the fact that Commonwealth countries declared war against Germany shortly after we did and contributed to the war effort, as did the displaced émigré services that gathered in Britain in the face of the German advance. Plus there was the tacit support of the US given despite their reluctance to get involved in European issues. Britain never stood alone - we were just the last stop on one front line.

My point is that your vapid dismissal of our effort, along with allied forces, is an attempt to re-write history and the EU only came about because we provided a platform for counter-attack which prevented the Russians from establishing their own form of European empire

It's not my opinion that "we won the war" but we sure as hell made sure we didn't lose it, at huge cost in blood and economic ruin which we're still paying for in terms of national debt

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 20:04 - Nov 30 with 1431 viewsDaleiLama

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 19:46 - Nov 30 by mingthemerciless

We were going down the blind alley of seeing the problem as one of linguistics. The Poles were the first to realise it was a problem that could only be solved using mathematical formulae. They did all the spade work in the early days. Not everything you see coming from Hollywood is true, you do know that don't you ?
[Post edited 30 Nov 2018 19:47]

Very true Ming. The daring showed by the Russian Air Force flying those Tupolevs in the Dambuster raids was something else.

Perhaps I'll reference Thomas Rutherford or Isaac Newton next time I make a reference to figures of historical British intelligence. It might prove less controversial and will save you from conceding we might have had some wonderful minds in our intelligence service who helped us win the war. The latter is a matter of public record and nothing to do with Hollywood. They have even been recognised as such now (albeit some posthumously).

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 21:54 - Nov 30 with 1378 viewsrochdale_ranger

THis threads turned into quite a juicy one. The people at Bletchley Park should be lauded it’s a shame about the Cold War otherwise they could have been celebrated in their lifetimes. It was also a disgrace how Alan Turing was treated and if I was him I would have probably defected to the Soviet Union rather then receiving chemical castration or prison for homosexuality (but we mustn’t judge to harshly as they were different times). Mings reaction and shrugging it off as a minor achievement aided by Poland isn’t surprising he’s one of many anti British posters on here one of whom used British colonialism as an excuse for the Pakistani grooming gangs in town.

Now personally knowing what went on in the Soviet Union and the Ukraine under Stalin I regard communism and nazism as two totalitarian, corrupt, anti individual cheeks of the same putrid arse. We should of let the Germans have at the Soviets. We got nothing out of declaring war with Germany. And as D-alien pointed out we are still paying for it today.

Or better still Britain and France should have never have put such harsh terms on Germany in the treaty of Versailles. Demilitarisation, occupying the Rhine, taking material and natural resources out of Germany. Perfect ingredients for a despot like Hitler to sprout.
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 06:58 - Dec 1 with 1277 viewssmaclad1

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 19:57 - Nov 30 by D_Alien

My point is that your vapid dismissal of our effort, along with allied forces, is an attempt to re-write history and the EU only came about because we provided a platform for counter-attack which prevented the Russians from establishing their own form of European empire

It's not my opinion that "we won the war" but we sure as hell made sure we didn't lose it, at huge cost in blood and economic ruin which we're still paying for in terms of national debt

You said "when no-one else was fighting" in your earlier post. I pointed out that this was not so and that we had the Commonwealth countries, exiled armed forces and tacit US support.

You have now come back acknowledging the contribution of allied forces (thanks for agreeing with my response). Yet because this acknowledgement of allied support knocks on the head all this 'we stood alone' nonsense you're interpreting this as my dismissal of our effort?

I'm not suggesting that a few random observations on a football supporters' message board are in any way comparable to the learned thoughts of the esteemed historian AJP Taylor, but it does seem that this country holds a particular collective narrative about the second world war and the role of Britain in it, and that anyone who expresses what might be regarded as a slightly different interpretation gets jumped on.
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 09:38 - Dec 1 with 1224 viewsD_Alien

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 06:58 - Dec 1 by smaclad1

You said "when no-one else was fighting" in your earlier post. I pointed out that this was not so and that we had the Commonwealth countries, exiled armed forces and tacit US support.

You have now come back acknowledging the contribution of allied forces (thanks for agreeing with my response). Yet because this acknowledgement of allied support knocks on the head all this 'we stood alone' nonsense you're interpreting this as my dismissal of our effort?

I'm not suggesting that a few random observations on a football supporters' message board are in any way comparable to the learned thoughts of the esteemed historian AJP Taylor, but it does seem that this country holds a particular collective narrative about the second world war and the role of Britain in it, and that anyone who expresses what might be regarded as a slightly different interpretation gets jumped on.

I'm not concerned about the narratives of any particular historian; they each have their own points of reference. Learned? Tch

What does concern me is why you think we should feel beholden to the EU and the US. If we'd succumbed to the German war machine in 1940-42, there would be no EU, a point you blithely ignore. The US joined the conflict out of self-interest, not in our support, and their supplies previous to that were paid for - and are still being paid for - but not just in monetary terms. Those on the Atlantic convoys, which the Enigma codebreakers prevented from being overwhelmed, paid with their blood. We stood alone in western Europe, before the German pact with Russia broke down. Were we lucky that the Russians and US came into it? They had no choice after being attacked themselves

Trying to score cheap points about my "acknowledging" the contribution of allies is unworthy. Never forget that your freedom to do so was secured by previous generations, and no point I've made is incorrect. We owe it to them to get it right
[Post edited 1 Dec 2018 9:42]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024