Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thread: Walsall (a) 14:17 - Feb 2 with 30700 viewsSheffdale

As last week isn't it?
Match thread: Walsall (a) on 11:32 - Feb 3 with 3825 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 10:56 - Feb 3 by aleanddale

I have been mightily impressed.

still loads of work to be done though.

Just had a look and it took 34 games to get to 34 points last season so we are doing a little better this season.

The date of the 34th game ( Wimbledon home ) was the 17th March!!

Just how did we pull that great escape off last season??? it still beggars belief!.

And we lost the 35th game 0-2 to Fleetwood. So we only had 34 points with 11 games to go.
34 points with 15 games to go now looks a far more reasonable position - and not having to play 2 games a week like last season. With Ebanks and Hamilton looking superb additions a win v Coventry will set us up superbly for the run in. Amazing what a boost 3 away points are - following it up with a home victory on Saturday and the squad will be buzzing before having a weekend off to refresh and give all the new lads more time to settle in.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 11:47 - Feb 3 with 3783 viewsisitme

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 10:18 - Feb 3 by richfoad32

Yup, doubtless Hill already has a list of potential targets for the off season, although that could be dependant on what division we're in. As I said, it's good to see that all the loanees who played yesterday seemed up for the battle, which isn't always the case. Very early days but maybe if Hamilton continues to impress and hopefully enjoys his time here then Man Utd might be well disposed to us taking him again next season. Holden is raw and looks lightweight on occasion but I like him and I think he's out of contract in the summer so maybe we could sort summat out. Ebanks unfortunately we've got no chance, regardless of our league status.

I just hope that there is at least some continuity in the squad and not a massive turnover of players in the summer, although there is some dead wood that definitely needs clearing out.

Players like McNulty, Done, Wilbraham, Nthle etc would free up a decent portion of the wage budget. As you say it depends what league we will be playing in, which will determine what that budget is.
Match thread: Walsall (a) on 12:09 - Feb 3 with 3722 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 17:25 - Feb 2 by Shun

Huge win, we needed that. And we got a bit of luck at times, but we were due that too. Lillis somehow dropped a regulation punt into his own net but a Walsall player who was standing in his vicinity was given offside so the goal was disallowed. I thought individually the back 4 were all excellent but we still have those gut-churning moments where someone switches off and it looks like a certain goal. Thankfully EEL did what EEL does and saved us time and again. My MOM again, just like last time I saw him.

I thought we were fairly poor in the first half, the first fifteen minutes excepted. Henderson was so isolated up front alone and Andrew was terrible on the right wing. Thankfully in the second half Holden switched to the wing, Andrew up top, and Henderson just behind and we looked much more effective. Some brilliant passages of play from Henderson today.

I really like Hamilton, and he seems to love being here too. I love that passion from a player. He’s forming a good partnership with Camps too.

Lillis fouled for the punt into the box - definite freekick.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 12:12 - Feb 3 with 3708 viewsscarrow

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 11:47 - Feb 3 by isitme

Players like McNulty, Done, Wilbraham, Nthle etc would free up a decent portion of the wage budget. As you say it depends what league we will be playing in, which will determine what that budget is.

The only one of those I could see being offered a new deal at the present time is McNulty. Doesn't matter what league I can't see deals being given.

Poll: Final position

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 12:18 - Feb 3 with 3690 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 12:09 - Feb 3 by dingdangblue

Lillis fouled for the punt into the box - definite freekick.

The free-kick was given for offside, which supersedes any foul.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 12:32 - Feb 3 with 3633 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 12:18 - Feb 3 by TVOS1907

The free-kick was given for offside, which supersedes any foul.

Lillis is still fouled rather than 'somehow dropping the ball'.

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 12:33 - Feb 3 with 3627 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 12:32 - Feb 3 by dingdangblue

Absolutely.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 14:19 - Feb 3 with 3435 viewsaleanddale

I feel better still watching the highlights.

One thing that is clear the lads on the pitch look like they have a togetherness that should stand us in good stead.
Login to get fewer ads

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 14:31 - Feb 3 with 3399 viewsColDale

Actually thought we played better at Peterborough and Barnsley than we did yesterday. Couple of moments that could have gone against us but didn't. Ref seemed a soft touch and gave a lot that most refs wouldn't, and we definitely came up on the right side of some of them.

That last five minutes will do us the world of good. Was a bit of an onslaught, and we could have handled it better on a couple of occasions as bad decision making allowed them to come at us. That last second chance seemed to go straight at Lillis and would have been a cert goal had it been aimed anywhere else. Felt like we were six minutes into the four minutes injury time then (we had a stop for Lillis and a very slow Dooley going off for a sub). A late equaliser could have been devastating for the season.

Think the relegation battle will be a straight fight between Wimbledon, Shrewsbury, Bristol Rovers, us, Gillingham, Walsall, Accy and at a push Oxford and Southend. Am sure we'll soon see Bradford pull away, as well as Plymouth. Wimbledon are gone for me, and I've felt Shrews would drop since last Summer. There's going to be a side down there who'll got 8 or 9 games without a win. I think we've got it in us for a 2 or 3 match winning run to make things a lot easier than last season.
Match thread: Walsall (a) on 14:46 - Feb 3 with 3367 viewsColDale

one other little post script to the game, the pitch was bloody awful. Bobbly everywhere.

Their efforts to keep the pitch from freezing brought back memories before the game

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 14:56 - Feb 3 with 3321 viewsShun

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 12:32 - Feb 3 by dingdangblue

Fair enough. It certainly seemed at the game that he’d just mishandled it and the ball had gone in. And it’s not like it would be unexpected given some of the goalkeeping shocks we’ve seen this season.
Match thread: Walsall (a) on 15:24 - Feb 3 with 3235 viewsShun

One minor gripe I have with yesterday was that it could’ve so easily finished 3-1. To set the scene, it was the last few seconds of the game and we were withstanding heavy pressure from the home side. Walsall won a corner and their keeper went up for it. The corner came over and Lillis easily caught the resulting effort. He was stood up with the ball in his hands and Henderson was on the halfway line screaming for the ball, with not a single player in the Walsall half. All it would’ve taken was a throw or punt upfield from Lillis and it would’ve been a guaranteed goal.

With it being over a month since our last win I appreciate confidence was low and Lillis would’ve just been relieved to get the win and keep hold of the ball, but with our goal difference as bad as it is we really should be taking any gifts like that to improve it.
Match thread: Walsall (a) on 15:41 - Feb 3 with 3190 viewsNorthernDale

I would be tempted to keep the side that won yesterday, but we must somehow rotate the loan signings to keep everyone happy.

Do we rest Holden next week and put Bunney on the left wing and Clough and Pike on the bench or do we keep the team that started yesterday and just rotate the Clough and Pike every game. It is an interesting position that we have at the moment.

Hopefully we can get another 3 points next week before our enforced weekend off.
Match thread: Walsall (a) on 15:45 - Feb 3 with 3172 viewsColDale

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 15:24 - Feb 3 by Shun

One minor gripe I have with yesterday was that it could’ve so easily finished 3-1. To set the scene, it was the last few seconds of the game and we were withstanding heavy pressure from the home side. Walsall won a corner and their keeper went up for it. The corner came over and Lillis easily caught the resulting effort. He was stood up with the ball in his hands and Henderson was on the halfway line screaming for the ball, with not a single player in the Walsall half. All it would’ve taken was a throw or punt upfield from Lillis and it would’ve been a guaranteed goal.

With it being over a month since our last win I appreciate confidence was low and Lillis would’ve just been relieved to get the win and keep hold of the ball, but with our goal difference as bad as it is we really should be taking any gifts like that to improve it.

I suspect goal difference now has been and gone. There's such a differential between us and everyone else, it's just not going to be an issue. If we catch a team on goal difference, the points obtained in doing so will take us out of the equation anyway. If we're still down there battling, I think it will just be worse than anyone else and that extra point needed.
Match thread: Walsall (a) on 15:48 - Feb 3 with 3165 viewsrichfoad32

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 15:41 - Feb 3 by NorthernDale

I would be tempted to keep the side that won yesterday, but we must somehow rotate the loan signings to keep everyone happy.

Do we rest Holden next week and put Bunney on the left wing and Clough and Pike on the bench or do we keep the team that started yesterday and just rotate the Clough and Pike every game. It is an interesting position that we have at the moment.

Hopefully we can get another 3 points next week before our enforced weekend off.

And where does Keohane fit into all this? Only signed up until the end of the season so he's hardly here with a view to the future.
Match thread: Walsall (a) on 16:02 - Feb 3 with 3115 views442Dale

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 15:45 - Feb 3 by ColDale

I suspect goal difference now has been and gone. There's such a differential between us and everyone else, it's just not going to be an issue. If we catch a team on goal difference, the points obtained in doing so will take us out of the equation anyway. If we're still down there battling, I think it will just be worse than anyone else and that extra point needed.

Yeah, the target has to be 52 points for now. That may be revised the nearer we get to May.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 16:43 - Feb 3 with 3008 viewsDale23years

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 15:24 - Feb 3 by Shun

Glad you seen that as well, I was going mad at Lillis to throw it out to him, but everyone around me thought I not took my tablets again

Poll: Renewing your season ticket

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 19:06 - Feb 3 with 2762 viewssweetcorn

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 15:48 - Feb 3 by richfoad32

And where does Keohane fit into all this? Only signed up until the end of the season so he's hardly here with a view to the future.

I’d imagine it’s a 6 month contract with a view to extend, dependant on performances..

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 07:42 - Feb 4 with 2384 viewsEllDale

Going back to the Hesfords if I may, Steve was a legendary goalkicking fullback/winger for Warrington in the 1980's.
Scored plenty of points and I'm not sure if he was even inducted into their Hall of Fame.
Their father Bob had been a good goalkeeper as well.
Was the Sun the pub near the bakery? If so, has anything happened to the building since it was set on fire the other year?
It was a decent boozer but Littleborough, like so many other places, has lost some good pubs over the last 30 years or so.
I used to see Brian Kettleton in the Gale on Todmorden Road on Friday nights but I understand that it's now a Chinese restaurant.
Match thread: Walsall (a) on 09:56 - Feb 4 with 2243 viewsParkinsGimp

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 19:28 - Feb 2 by sweetcorn

Weird how quiet this board gets when we win a game eh..

Yeah against a team in fee fall, one swallow doesnt make a summer, but it sure makes some KJH C""ksuckers happy :-) LOL
Match thread: Walsall (a) on 10:13 - Feb 4 with 2227 viewsSuddenLad

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 07:42 - Feb 4 by EllDale

Going back to the Hesfords if I may, Steve was a legendary goalkicking fullback/winger for Warrington in the 1980's.
Scored plenty of points and I'm not sure if he was even inducted into their Hall of Fame.
Their father Bob had been a good goalkeeper as well.
Was the Sun the pub near the bakery? If so, has anything happened to the building since it was set on fire the other year?
It was a decent boozer but Littleborough, like so many other places, has lost some good pubs over the last 30 years or so.
I used to see Brian Kettleton in the Gale on Todmorden Road on Friday nights but I understand that it's now a Chinese restaurant.

Thanks for adding the extras about Warrington !! I had it in my mind that one of them had a massive career in RL. Yes, the Sun was at the corner, just before the turning into the bakery at Whittle Street.

The Gale is a chinese reataurant and Brian Kettleton has since also joined the ranks of the departed.

Thanks again...

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 10:35 - Feb 4 with 2188 viewsEllDale

Someone was saying that David Kelly had also passed away recently.
He was a big mate of Brian's and was a retained firefighter at Littleborough.
I think his lad Lee played cricket at 'Boro.
I also believe that he was Andy Kelly's brother?
Match thread: Walsall (a) on 12:14 - Feb 4 with 2051 viewsBrierls

I thought we played OK. Not great, but not poor either.

Positives...

Ebanks-Landell is still a beast. Took his goal very well.
McNulty had a good game, only really providing one heart stopping moment where he got chased down.
Delaney did a good job at left back and was surprisingly comfortable putting a decent ball into the box.
McLaughlin looks decent. I hope his injury is just a knock.
Hamilton took his goal very well and looks to be up for the fight.
Defending our lead successfully in the final 10/15 mins will give the whole team a boost.

Negatives...

Andrew had one of those days where the ball just bounces off him. He gave the ball away a lot, one of which led to their goal. I like Calvin but he wasn't at the races at all.
Pyke is very raw! Obviously has the physical attributes but there's a lot of coaching to be done. Not really a criticism of Pyke but lets not get carried away about him being anything other than an impact sub.
I'm covered in bruises.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2019 12:19]
Match thread: Walsall (a) on 13:26 - Feb 4 with 1917 viewsDareToCalvin

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 12:14 - Feb 4 by Brierls

I thought we played OK. Not great, but not poor either.

Positives...

Ebanks-Landell is still a beast. Took his goal very well.
McNulty had a good game, only really providing one heart stopping moment where he got chased down.
Delaney did a good job at left back and was surprisingly comfortable putting a decent ball into the box.
McLaughlin looks decent. I hope his injury is just a knock.
Hamilton took his goal very well and looks to be up for the fight.
Defending our lead successfully in the final 10/15 mins will give the whole team a boost.

Negatives...

Andrew had one of those days where the ball just bounces off him. He gave the ball away a lot, one of which led to their goal. I like Calvin but he wasn't at the races at all.
Pyke is very raw! Obviously has the physical attributes but there's a lot of coaching to be done. Not really a criticism of Pyke but lets not get carried away about him being anything other than an impact sub.
I'm covered in bruises.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2019 12:19]

Agreed about Calvin, I love the bloke to pieces (as you can probably tell) but he has been awful with his feet recently, sometimes giving the ball away and leading directly to counter attacks/goals as we saw on Saturday. However, he is still immense in the air and for that reason is still a huge part of our squad, I remember a corner in added time being swung in by Walsall and it was cleared by another of his epic defensive headers.
As for Pyke, there's a player there for sure but given the choice I'd have Clough out the two 100%.
Still, I'm hugely impressed with Hill's signings and he's given us the best possible chance to survive, which I think we will as we've had our horrendous form and seem to be on the up whereas I feel teams like Accrington, Walsall and Shrewsbury might be about to slip into freefall.
Match thread: Walsall (a) on 13:43 - Feb 4 with 1881 viewsVespaDale

Match thread: Walsall (a) on 22:57 - Feb 2 by SuddenLad

Is this the match where Hesford was in goal for Maidstone and his brother had the Queens in Littleborough ? I remember some connection with Warrington RL club. Or am I rambling... ??

I'm good friends with the Hesfords. Iain RIP the keeper sadly died a few yrs ago at a young age. He finished his English career at Maidstone & played against us in the home game Tuesday night where they beat us & brought something like 6 fans, then went to HK to earn the big money. His brother Ste was the all time leading goal scorer for Warrington & just been inducted into the legends hall of fame there. The other brother Bob is rugby union and played for GB, monster of a man. Great family, Ste then Iain ran the Queens, Sun Hotel, Globe & Caldermoor.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2019 13:47]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024