Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale 16:20 - Apr 1 with 16227 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

Match Preview: Portsmouth vs Rochdale 1st Apr 2021 16:19
Rochdale return from the international break with a tough trip to Fratton Park to face promotion-chasing Portsmouth on Good Friday. 0

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 20:21 - Apr 2 with 2295 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 19:52 - Apr 2 by James1980

I'd like to think that if us arm chair 'experts' can see what is wrong. A professional football manager can also see those problems. Is it the resources at his disposal make it difficult to fix those issues.

Apparently Portsmouth and Dale both had Two 'big chances' we took one of ours unfortunately Pompey took both of theirs.

Portsmouth played the game in second gear, James.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 20:40 - Apr 2 with 2232 viewsHopwoodblue

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 19:52 - Apr 2 by James1980

I'd like to think that if us arm chair 'experts' can see what is wrong. A professional football manager can also see those problems. Is it the resources at his disposal make it difficult to fix those issues.

Apparently Portsmouth and Dale both had Two 'big chances' we took one of ours unfortunately Pompey took both of theirs.

That’s the problem, he can see the issues but still carry’s on playing the same way.
It highlighted the fact on Wednesday that even at the top end of the game if you play around at the back your going to slip up, granted a lot less than at our level. With respect to the players we have they are not capable of playing like that, we need to play the old fashioned way. If the keeper can’t roll the ball out to a defender without putting him under pressure then launch it up the field. I also blame the directors for not telling BBM to put aside his footballing ideals and find the best way to win with the squad we can afford, staying in league one should be the priority not our style of play.
If we don’t have the money to fund a squad capable of playing like BBM wants he either changes his style to suit or resigns, but no our CEO let’s him carry on and not only that, rewards him with another 12 months contract extension. The league table doesn’t lie James and as I’ve said before it’s not based on games like today it’s based on beating the teams in our own mini first div like it is every season. I wonder sometimes if you just like stirring things up by the things you say?
Everyone on this forum would like to see us doing ok under BBM but unfortunately managing a football team is based on winning games and not just being a great bloke.
It’s a shame that we have two people at RAFC who are not willing to put the club before their ego’s
and it looks like they are taking us into league two.
This day and age a bad season in league two for Dale could spell the end of the club.
The problem is if these two people are still employed this time next year I fear the worst for this football club, without which I wouldn’t have been fortunate to meet so many kind and generous people over the years.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2021 20:46]

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 20:48 - Apr 2 with 2175 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 20:11 - Apr 2 by 442Dale

We’ve been through it all season long. He hasn’t used the resources at his disposal well enough, something that was perfectly encapsulated today and described within this thread.

We don’t need to be ‘experts’ to see the bleeding obvious. Portsmouth didn’t even have to work for their chances and should have had more than two. We were woeful at even getting into situations where we even looked like creating chances, something the manager could have changed with his subs and tactics in the second half. That didn’t happen until the goal.

Will reiterate it again, irrespective of the squad and the injuries and Covid and impending international breaks where half our players could be starring against Gibraltar u17s, we could and should be ten points better off than we are now. This would be achieved by playing to our strengths, using players where they are most effective and being flexible tactically. All of those can be influenced by the manager of the team, and it’s a very valid point you raise that the manager should be able to see it. There is no other other real argument.

[Post edited 2 Apr 2021 20:16]

Is this the fourth, fifth or sixth time this has been patiently explained?

I admire your patience and perseverance, but its not sinking in

There's no "maverick free thinking" involved here, only a similar degree of insularity that can't see beyond its own limitations by both the fan and the manager

Harsh? Maybe, but its as boring and repetitive as the football; the same post-match attempts at justification which your rebuttals have no effect upon - and not because they're lacking in substance or clarity

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 21:09 - Apr 2 with 2107 viewsBlueMessiah

Decided not to watch today for the first time this season but listened to the first 20 minutes or so on Radio Bolton. It appeared that Pompey's opener came from our corner which we "worked back to our keeper" then piss arsed about with the ball for a bit then lost it and conceded.
Presumably if we hadn't lost the ball we'd have built from the back in the hope of maybe winning a corner or summat?
Brilliant positive tactical stuff from our very talented manager.

Poll: Do I Know You?

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 21:20 - Apr 2 with 2077 viewsjudd

James, we are fookin gash on AND off the pitch.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 21:54 - Apr 2 with 1980 viewsJames1980

If BBM's ego finds us in league 2 and the club ends up ceasing to exist he will find himself without a job and a young family, I am sure he will look back and wish he swallowed his pride, unless.... There are other factors at play.
What it is hard to fathom is if the way to fix the malaise is so obvious why is Brian not able to enact the necessary changes. Are his hands tied? has he received bad advice from the medical team regards signings potential number of games? Does he just not know what to do? Does he know but is refusing to do it because if his 'principles' which takes us full circle to will he regret not being more flexible?

I know it didn't particularly impress but that video of MK Dons is how BBM wants to play. It seems to be working for Franchise FC. Is it because the players Martin has at his disposal are good enough. Is it that Martin and his coaching team are better. Is it the facility they have available or a combination of all of those? Preempting the response 'we need to worry about ourselves' what is wrong with looking at other clubs and seeing what they are doing right?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 22:07 - Apr 2 with 1928 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 21:54 - Apr 2 by James1980

If BBM's ego finds us in league 2 and the club ends up ceasing to exist he will find himself without a job and a young family, I am sure he will look back and wish he swallowed his pride, unless.... There are other factors at play.
What it is hard to fathom is if the way to fix the malaise is so obvious why is Brian not able to enact the necessary changes. Are his hands tied? has he received bad advice from the medical team regards signings potential number of games? Does he just not know what to do? Does he know but is refusing to do it because if his 'principles' which takes us full circle to will he regret not being more flexible?

I know it didn't particularly impress but that video of MK Dons is how BBM wants to play. It seems to be working for Franchise FC. Is it because the players Martin has at his disposal are good enough. Is it that Martin and his coaching team are better. Is it the facility they have available or a combination of all of those? Preempting the response 'we need to worry about ourselves' what is wrong with looking at other clubs and seeing what they are doing right?

I couldn't give two hoots what MK Dons are doing; I'm interested in Dale. End of.

Just look at the league table and stop over-thinking everything AGAIN.

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 22:37 - Apr 2 with 1852 viewsjudd

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 22:07 - Apr 2 by TVOS1907

I couldn't give two hoots what MK Dons are doing; I'm interested in Dale. End of.

Bottom of the league.

Humiliated in cup competitions.

About to run out of money.

Bulking up off field employees.

Desperately awaiting Halloween.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 22:49 - Apr 2 with 1810 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 22:07 - Apr 2 by TVOS1907

I can see exactly where we are in the league table. I am not overthinking and I am just asking if people on here can see what is wrong and how to fix it why can't someone who's job it is to do those things.

If I am overthinking it is that the phrase 'stop overthinking' is code for 'don't post your thoughts and opinions James'

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 23:10 - Apr 2 with 1739 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 22:49 - Apr 2 by James1980

I can see exactly where we are in the league table. I am not overthinking and I am just asking if people on here can see what is wrong and how to fix it why can't someone who's job it is to do those things.

If I am overthinking it is that the phrase 'stop overthinking' is code for 'don't post your thoughts and opinions James'

But the question posed in your first paragraph isn't a football question, rather its concerning insight into someone's psyche which is basically unanswerable

If you thought about it more carefully than using a scatter-gun approach, you'd also realise why its bloody irritating to many of us, who just want to watch our team giving L1 survival its best shot

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 23:20 - Apr 2 with 1714 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 22:49 - Apr 2 by James1980

It isn't James. I'm trying to help you, really I am.

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 23:50 - Apr 2 with 1668 viewsHopwoodblue

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 23:20 - Apr 2 by TVOS1907

It isn't James. I'm trying to help you, really I am.

Sadly because someone at the club has seen fit to give him a twelve month contract extension he can do what the hell he likes safe in the knowledge he will receive a Salary until June 2022, had the extension not happened he may have looked at things differently had he still been employed at this stage.
Unfortunately he could lose the next 9 games knowing full well one way or another he will receive an income until next June. I’m not sure we would sack him even if we did lose every game between now and the end of the season. I’m guessing his assistant also got the same extension ?

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 00:35 - Apr 3 with 1626 viewsBrierls

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 21:54 - Apr 2 by James1980

You are like a fcuking annoying child on a long car journey.

Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Why aren’t we there yet?
How long will it take?
Are we there yet?

It doesn’t matter what the question is, or what the answer is, there is always another fcuking question.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2021 0:36]
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 00:53 - Apr 3 with 1606 viewsFrog

The most exciting thing for me is we have another 12 months of this.
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 01:35 - Apr 3 with 1564 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 23:10 - Apr 2 by D_Alien

But the question posed in your first paragraph isn't a football question, rather its concerning insight into someone's psyche which is basically unanswerable

If you thought about it more carefully than using a scatter-gun approach, you'd also realise why its bloody irritating to many of us, who just want to watch our team giving L1 survival its best shot

The first paragraph was in response to the criticism that the manager is an stubborn egotist. And that his attitude will see the destruction of the club. If that happens he won't be in a job. What's that phrase about pride and falls.
I too want us to give staying in League One the best shot. My scattergun was to ask questions relating to some of the criticisms levelled at BBM. Whether we like it or not we are stuck with the current management team for the foreseeable future.

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 01:52 - Apr 3 with 1554 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 00:35 - Apr 3 by Brierls

You are like a fcuking annoying child on a long car journey.

Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Why aren’t we there yet?
How long will it take?
Are we there yet?

It doesn’t matter what the question is, or what the answer is, there is always another fcuking question.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2021 0:36]

I'm only asking if there are other factors at play. Rather than to(e)(w)ing the forum line that the manager is a clueless egotistical imbecile.

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 08:02 - Apr 3 with 1344 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 01:52 - Apr 3 by James1980

I'm only asking if there are other factors at play. Rather than to(e)(w)ing the forum line that the manager is a clueless egotistical imbecile.

There is no "forum line"

The majority who're posting will have taken into account when offering considered opinions on BBM all those "other factors" you seem to be fixated upon. It's in ignoring this, or being wilfully ignorant of it, that's causing the irritation

As per the promptings of TVOS and others - including me - there is no ill-will against you; rather the opposite. You've in the main found yourself, as a long-distance Dale fan, amongst friends on this forum. Don't ruin it by making false assumptions which are ignorant of the combined experience of many decades of watching and thinking about football, and Dale in particular

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 09:09 - Apr 3 with 1235 viewsRippDale

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 01:52 - Apr 3 by James1980

When something goes on for so long James, there is no need to keep over analysing things. The evidence is there that the 2 most important people at the club are no longer fit for purpose. Unfortunately, 1 is employed by the other. Until the the job of the CEO is under threat nothing will change
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 09:10 - Apr 3 with 1227 viewsBillyRudd

By eck James! I wish you had been my boss all those working years. I feel all my incompetence and inabilities would have been recognised for what it was "a philosophy".
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 09:12 - Apr 3 with 1220 viewsBillyRudd

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 20:40 - Apr 2 by Hopwoodblue

That’s the problem, he can see the issues but still carry’s on playing the same way.
It highlighted the fact on Wednesday that even at the top end of the game if you play around at the back your going to slip up, granted a lot less than at our level. With respect to the players we have they are not capable of playing like that, we need to play the old fashioned way. If the keeper can’t roll the ball out to a defender without putting him under pressure then launch it up the field. I also blame the directors for not telling BBM to put aside his footballing ideals and find the best way to win with the squad we can afford, staying in league one should be the priority not our style of play.
If we don’t have the money to fund a squad capable of playing like BBM wants he either changes his style to suit or resigns, but no our CEO let’s him carry on and not only that, rewards him with another 12 months contract extension. The league table doesn’t lie James and as I’ve said before it’s not based on games like today it’s based on beating the teams in our own mini first div like it is every season. I wonder sometimes if you just like stirring things up by the things you say?
Everyone on this forum would like to see us doing ok under BBM but unfortunately managing a football team is based on winning games and not just being a great bloke.
It’s a shame that we have two people at RAFC who are not willing to put the club before their ego’s
This day and age a bad season in league two for Dale could spell the end of the club.
The problem is if these two people are still employed this time next year I fear the worst for this football club, without which I wouldn’t have been fortunate to meet so many kind and generous people over the years.

Absolutely, nailed on the head.
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 09:55 - Apr 3 with 1152 viewsdawlishdale

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 20:40 - Apr 2 by Hopwoodblue

I couldn't watch the game on I follow yesterday (first one I've missed) but still managed to listen to the GMR coverage in the second half.

They don't cover us that often, and the co-commentator probably hasn't seen us at all before yesterday (Robbie Blake I think) but he managed to suss us out straight away.

Too many sideways passes....too slow...too cautious etc etc. he also pointed out that Pompey were there for the taking if we had thrown caution to the wind and attacked them . At the end they both basically said that Dale have only themselves to blame for not getting something from the game. Kind of sums us up perfectly over the season.

If Andrew Kelly is serious about being Chairman (even in an interim basis) then he simply has to act to remove the root cause of many of our issues. The CEO is out of his depth and is ruining the club. BBM's lack of ability is simply the most visible manifestation of the CEO's shortcomings. I'd hate Kelly to be remembered as the man who let him stay .
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 10:32 - Apr 3 with 1071 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 08:02 - Apr 3 by D_Alien

There is no "forum line"

The majority who're posting will have taken into account when offering considered opinions on BBM all those "other factors" you seem to be fixated upon. It's in ignoring this, or being wilfully ignorant of it, that's causing the irritation

As per the promptings of TVOS and others - including me - there is no ill-will against you; rather the opposite. You've in the main found yourself, as a long-distance Dale fan, amongst friends on this forum. Don't ruin it by making false assumptions which are ignorant of the combined experience of many decades of watching and thinking about football, and Dale in particular

I'm sorry everyone. I am not trying to be deliberately controversial or a wum. I am just finding hard to fathom, why a professional football manager has not been able to identify the problems and make the changes, people, on here have seen and suggested.

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 10:33 - Apr 3 with 1065 viewstodmordendale

The situation is so demeaning to us supporters who are being treated as fools. We are not stupid. In all probability, we have all played football at some level, so there is an understanding about how to kick the ball, where to kick it and where the goal is.
For two years we have been treated with such contempt watching our team play facing our own goal with a pedestrian pace.
It is not working, it is desperate to watch, and results in defamation of individuals which is not good. We all make mistakes but the poor quality of the overall method of play will inevitably lead to such criticism. Persistence with these tactics continue. We are fed with all sorts of tripe about how good it is in training, how good morale is, how unlucky we were and how good we were.
It is all wearing a little thin.
The time to wake up has probably passed.
I like BBM but unless he changes his failed tactics then it necessary to change.
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 10:44 - Apr 3 with 1040 views442Dale

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 10:32 - Apr 3 by James1980

I'm sorry everyone. I am not trying to be deliberately controversial or a wum. I am just finding hard to fathom, why a professional football manager has not been able to identify the problems and make the changes, people, on here have seen and suggested.

Think the answer to that is illustrated in interviews and what was said at the forum. The management staff believe they know best. Don’t think it’s anything more complicated than that.

Is it hard to believe and difficult to accept as a supporter? Yes. Unfortunately, that’s the situation we are in.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 10:59 - Apr 3 with 1789 viewsBillyRudd

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 10:44 - Apr 3 by 442Dale

Think the answer to that is illustrated in interviews and what was said at the forum. The management staff believe they know best. Don’t think it’s anything more complicated than that.

Is it hard to believe and difficult to accept as a supporter? Yes. Unfortunately, that’s the situation we are in.

Agree.
However I think their notion that "they know best" will be severely tested when the Season ticket returns start dropping on Bottomleys desk.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024