Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The relegation run-in. 10:48 - Apr 21 with 12705 viewsDareToCalvin

AFC Wimbledon - 50 points
Portsmouth H
Lincoln A

Wigan - 48 points
Hull A
SWINDON H
––––––––––––––––––––––––––
ROCHDALE - 44 points
Doncaster H
MK Dons A

Northampton - 44 points
Blackpool H
Sunderland A

Swindon - 40 points - RELEGATED
Ipswich H
WIGAN A

Bristol Rovers - 38 points - RELEGATED
Crewe H
Blackpool A
[Post edited 27 Apr 2021 21:49]
The relegation run-in. on 08:13 - Apr 23 with 3686 viewsNigeriamark

The relegation run-in. on 11:30 - Apr 22 by pioneer

It looked like we were gone-ers.

Memories? Going to Barnsley who were to be promoted, and playing them off the park winning 3-0. Ex Leeds and England striker Allan Clarke was their manager and the game was televised on Yorkshire TV.

To some extent the last game, that we needed to win to get out of the reelection spots, was at Crewe.... yes we had to win at Crewe! And we do again 42 years later.

Unlike this season Crewe were bottom of the league and with us having won six from seven (the one loss was at Halifax) it was somewhat of an anticlimax. There was a big away following and as far as I can remember we were in control of the game most of the evening.

The season had started with no win until late october and then lost 6 of the next 7. Theboard finally recognised Mike Ferguson was out of his depth as manager and, instead of giving him a secret contract extension, brought Peter Madden back as Caretaker. Eventually Doug Collins was appointed as player manager and was responsible for the great escape.

So yes miracles happen!

That Friday night Crewe game is still in my top 3 games ever attended. I think the results the next day went in our favour anyway but at the time coming away from the ground it felt like promotion
The relegation run-in. on 09:01 - Apr 23 with 3614 viewsTVOS1907

The relegation run-in. on 08:13 - Apr 23 by Nigeriamark

That Friday night Crewe game is still in my top 3 games ever attended. I think the results the next day went in our favour anyway but at the time coming away from the ground it felt like promotion

There was only one game the day after - York v Huddersfield - and that was a mid-table clash. It was also the final fixture of the Division Four season.

Dale went to Crewe in 21st place on 37 points. The one team they could overhaul - Darlington - had finished all their fixtures and had the same points as Dale, so we only needed a draw at Gresty Road.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

The relegation run-in. on 12:15 - Apr 23 with 3496 viewspioneer

The relegation run-in. on 09:01 - Apr 23 by TVOS1907

There was only one game the day after - York v Huddersfield - and that was a mid-table clash. It was also the final fixture of the Division Four season.

Dale went to Crewe in 21st place on 37 points. The one team they could overhaul - Darlington - had finished all their fixtures and had the same points as Dale, so we only needed a draw at Gresty Road.

and Crewe were rock bottom having lost their last 7 or 8 games I think.

We couldnt have asked for a better matchup to get that elusive point.
The relegation run-in. on 07:40 - Apr 24 with 3351 viewstodmordendale

Despite our recent good wins, the results of the other clubs around us at the bottom have not really eased our plight. I am hoping that today’s results might be in our favour for a change, as we seek to continue our resurgence.
Up the Dale
The relegation run-in. on 09:36 - Apr 24 with 3231 viewselectricblue

Pivotal moment for Dale today with their league 1 status....
Its a must win game and nothing less than 3pts is required.

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

The relegation run-in. on 09:43 - Apr 24 with 3221 viewsMass_Debater

The relegation run-in. on 09:36 - Apr 24 by electricblue

No sh1t.......
The relegation run-in. on 11:13 - Apr 24 with 3118 viewsboromat

The relegation run-in. on 09:36 - Apr 24 by electricblue

Every game could be pivotal.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

The relegation run-in. on 10:01 - Apr 25 with 2845 viewsfunkkk

The relegation run-in. on 11:13 - Apr 24 by boromat

Every game could be pivotal.

With the most pivotal of all the pivotal games coming on Tuesday. Beat Wimbledon and you have to say we have the easier of the run in vs them and Wigan.

It’s the hope that kills you.
Login to get fewer ads

The relegation run-in. on 13:50 - Apr 25 with 2623 viewsDareToCalvin

Updated for you all.
Whilst yesterday's point wasn't ideal and Crewe were there for the taking, the equaliser does just about keep us in it, although we will now probably need 9 points from the last 3; a mammoth task.
Northampton have now gone for me, think its a 3 way shootout for the final relegation spot.
Wimbledon do have 2 hard games, although the Lincoln side may rest players for the play offs on the final day.
End of the day, all this is irrelevant. We have to win on Tuesday.
The relegation run-in. on 16:05 - Apr 25 with 2505 viewsJames1980

The relegation run-in. on 13:50 - Apr 25 by DareToCalvin

Updated for you all.
Whilst yesterday's point wasn't ideal and Crewe were there for the taking, the equaliser does just about keep us in it, although we will now probably need 9 points from the last 3; a mammoth task.
Northampton have now gone for me, think its a 3 way shootout for the final relegation spot.
Wimbledon do have 2 hard games, although the Lincoln side may rest players for the play offs on the final day.
End of the day, all this is irrelevant. We have to win on Tuesday.

Absolutely Tuesday's result is the most important. A few other results going our way would help a great deal. Hopefully Hull will be determined to go up as champions and Swindon will do us a favour on the last day like Northampton did against Oldham a few seasons back.
Also be handy if Lincoln have not confirmed their playoff spot come kick off of matchday 46

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

The relegation run-in. on 16:16 - Apr 25 with 2490 viewsboromat

The relegation run-in. on 16:05 - Apr 25 by James1980

Absolutely Tuesday's result is the most important. A few other results going our way would help a great deal. Hopefully Hull will be determined to go up as champions and Swindon will do us a favour on the last day like Northampton did against Oldham a few seasons back.
Also be handy if Lincoln have not confirmed their playoff spot come kick off of matchday 46

Be interesting to see how Wimbledon go about it on Tuesday as their main focus has to be not losing to us. Could be a cagey affair.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

The relegation run-in. on 16:27 - Apr 25 with 2477 viewsJames1980

The relegation run-in. on 16:16 - Apr 25 by boromat

Be interesting to see how Wimbledon go about it on Tuesday as their main focus has to be not losing to us. Could be a cagey affair.

I'm well aware I'm stating the obvious even if we do not win Tuesday, as long as Wigan don't win and we do on Saturday it could go down to the last day.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

The relegation run-in. on 20:35 - Apr 25 with 2221 viewsdingdangblue

The relegation run-in. on 16:27 - Apr 25 by James1980

I'm well aware I'm stating the obvious even if we do not win Tuesday, as long as Wigan don't win and we do on Saturday it could go down to the last day.

We need to be ahead of Wigan going into the last game - they won't drop points v Swindon. Tuesday is the big one - the confidence and momentum we'd get if we could somehow get 3 points could be season defining.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

The relegation run-in. on 22:12 - Apr 25 with 2113 viewsdingdangblue

The relegation run-in. on 16:16 - Apr 25 by boromat

I think the opposite. They've just won 4 out of their last 5 games - beating Accrington, Ipswich, Swindon and Oxford and scored 14 goals. They will be going for the win which will secure their League 1 status with 2 games to spare.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

The relegation run-in. on 10:47 - Apr 27 with 1717 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

The relegation run-in. on 11:30 - Apr 22 by pioneer

It looked like we were gone-ers.

Memories? Going to Barnsley who were to be promoted, and playing them off the park winning 3-0. Ex Leeds and England striker Allan Clarke was their manager and the game was televised on Yorkshire TV.

To some extent the last game, that we needed to win to get out of the reelection spots, was at Crewe.... yes we had to win at Crewe! And we do again 42 years later.

Unlike this season Crewe were bottom of the league and with us having won six from seven (the one loss was at Halifax) it was somewhat of an anticlimax. There was a big away following and as far as I can remember we were in control of the game most of the evening.

The season had started with no win until late october and then lost 6 of the next 7. Theboard finally recognised Mike Ferguson was out of his depth as manager and, instead of giving him a secret contract extension, brought Peter Madden back as Caretaker. Eventually Doug Collins was appointed as player manager and was responsible for the great escape.

So yes miracles happen!

I don't see how Collins was in any way responsible for "The Great Escape" in my opinion. It was Peter Madden who signed Creamer, Taylor and Jones who all made their debuts at high-flying Bradford City. We narrowly lost 1-0 and played well. The next game we demolished Scunny away 0-4. A point at promotion chasing Portsmouth and a narrow 3-2 defeat at Wimbledon(who were promoted), after leading 2-1 at halftime followed. A win at Darlington, 63 days after winning at Scunny left us needing to play virtually half the season in 10 weeks. This was a time when winters were proper!
The rest is history, winning 7 of the last 8, (10 of the last 14) and ended 2 points above 4th bottom Darlington. Collins proved his managerial prowess the following season and was quickly despensed with. I never thought for one minute that anyone other than Peter Madden was responsible for our amazing turnaround. Just my opinion of course.
The relegation run-in. on 12:31 - Apr 27 with 1616 viewspioneer

The relegation run-in. on 10:47 - Apr 27 by RooleyMoorBlue

I don't see how Collins was in any way responsible for "The Great Escape" in my opinion. It was Peter Madden who signed Creamer, Taylor and Jones who all made their debuts at high-flying Bradford City. We narrowly lost 1-0 and played well. The next game we demolished Scunny away 0-4. A point at promotion chasing Portsmouth and a narrow 3-2 defeat at Wimbledon(who were promoted), after leading 2-1 at halftime followed. A win at Darlington, 63 days after winning at Scunny left us needing to play virtually half the season in 10 weeks. This was a time when winters were proper!
The rest is history, winning 7 of the last 8, (10 of the last 14) and ended 2 points above 4th bottom Darlington. Collins proved his managerial prowess the following season and was quickly despensed with. I never thought for one minute that anyone other than Peter Madden was responsible for our amazing turnaround. Just my opinion of course.

I didnt intend to suggest PM had no role in the escape....perhaps fair to say they both contributed to the amazing end to the season.
The relegation run-in. on 21:52 - Apr 27 with 1405 viewsDareToCalvin

Updated once again after tonight’s utterly sickening bottle. Wigan’s run in would give me hope if they didn’t have Swindon on the last day. We had to win tonight but have thrown it away in the most Rochdale way possible. 2 games left, 9 times out of 10 we go down, maybe even 99 out of 100. But, it’s not impossible yet so we’ve got to try and keep believing and get behind the lads after what was a mammoth performance regardless of the result, especially from Beesley and Done.
The relegation run-in. on 22:29 - Apr 27 with 1282 viewsdingdangblue

The relegation run-in. on 21:52 - Apr 27 by DareToCalvin

Updated once again after tonight’s utterly sickening bottle. Wigan’s run in would give me hope if they didn’t have Swindon on the last day. We had to win tonight but have thrown it away in the most Rochdale way possible. 2 games left, 9 times out of 10 we go down, maybe even 99 out of 100. But, it’s not impossible yet so we’ve got to try and keep believing and get behind the lads after what was a mammoth performance regardless of the result, especially from Beesley and Done.

Can see it now Saturday. We'll beat Doncaster and Wigan will score an unlikely injury time winner at Hull.

The relegation run-in. on 22:31 - Apr 27 with 1273 views442Dale

The relegation run-in. on 22:29 - Apr 27 by dingdangblue

Can see it now Saturday. We'll beat Doncaster and Wigan will score an unlikely injury time winner at Hull.

Or Wigan will concede in the last minute. Only for us to draw as Andy Butler sticks himself up front to get a goal for Doncaster at a minute to five.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

The relegation run-in. on 22:37 - Apr 27 with 1251 viewsTVOS1907

The relegation run-in. on 22:31 - Apr 27 by 442Dale

Or Wigan will concede in the last minute. Only for us to draw as Andy Butler sticks himself up front to get a goal for Doncaster at a minute to five.

You might be joking...

The relegation run-in. on 22:50 - Apr 27 with 1208 viewsdingdangblue

The relegation run-in. on 22:37 - Apr 27 by TVOS1907

You might be joking...

Or we win, Wigan and Wimbledon both lose then Will Grigg scores for MkDons in the 95th minute on the last day to finally send us down.

The relegation run-in. on 22:55 - Apr 27 with 1194 viewsTVOS1907

The relegation run-in. on 22:50 - Apr 27 by dingdangblue

Or we win, Wigan and Wimbledon both lose then Will Grigg scores for MkDons in the 95th minute on the last day to finally send us down.

I can see us beating Doncaster and Wigan lose to Hull, leaving another week to drag it all out.

At least there's a social media boycott across the weekend!

The relegation run-in. on 22:58 - Apr 27 with 1173 views442Dale

The relegation run-in. on 22:55 - Apr 27 by TVOS1907

I can see us beating Doncaster and Wigan lose to Hull, leaving another week to drag it all out.

At least there's a social media boycott across the weekend!

How on earth will we take it to the final day without a “morning Dale Fans”?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

The relegation run-in. on 23:10 - Apr 27 with 1133 viewsNorthernDale

We must go and win the next two games, and hope for an act of god, if we win Saturday and Wigan and Wimbledon lose, it is down to 1 and 3 points respectfully. Then it is down to the last game. Most of us expect Wigan to beat Swindon, but if they don't! if Wimbledon fail to get a point at Lincoln and we beat MK Dons, then we could survive.

I just hope that the team does not give up against Doncaster and accept relegation. I thought against Charlton on the final day, that we would go down, but we sneaked a win and Oldham did not, and we survived on goal difference. It may be a desperate hope, but while there is hope, no matter how slender, then we must seek to hope.
The relegation run-in. on 07:52 - Apr 28 with 963 viewsncfc_chalky

Dale are down and out I'm afraid,if they survive I will buy bdb a Notts shirt to wear in the beer garden of the Black Dog this summer....or a Dale shirt if he prefers

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024