Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next season 09:17 - Apr 28 with 7906 viewsAllDaleArentWe

Considering relegation is now al but confirmed I just wanna see what people are thinking ahead of next season. How confident are we that BBM can steady the ship? And what players are we expecting to move on. Personally I would sack BBM and start from scratch, but we all know that isn’t gonna happen.

P.S: not even going to get into the boardroom issues, this thread is purely about what happens on the pitch
Next season on 09:21 - Apr 28 with 3582 viewsboromat

Recruitments been good if BBM gets better backing this next season to put a proper squad together rather than a shoestring one then I don't see why we can't be very competitive in League 2.

Unfortunately I feel like we may lose a lot of key players if that happens it's a complete restart and that can go either way.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Next season on 09:31 - Apr 28 with 3549 viewselectricblue

Next season on 09:21 - Apr 28 by boromat

Recruitments been good if BBM gets better backing this next season to put a proper squad together rather than a shoestring one then I don't see why we can't be very competitive in League 2.

Unfortunately I feel like we may lose a lot of key players if that happens it's a complete restart and that can go either way.

The problem about next is like you say lose a lot of key players and anything could happen.
Also what could also happen is that these key players move on and BBM signs replacements, the season becomes a mid table season the.
BBM is released the following summer and Dale mess about signing a new manager and that season becomes another squad rebuild season....

So it could be 2 seasons of frustrating football again with very little money on the playing budget..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Next season on 09:31 - Apr 28 with 3548 viewsseasidedale

The squad budget is going to be affected as there could be not money from the cup pools. As you know the gate receipts from cup matches are divided into 3. A third of that goes into a pool and distributed to the clubs at end of the season, as there have been to receipts nothing would be forthcoming and have a massive effect on recruitment next season, thank good the Dawson money is coming this summer, might be able to recruit with it
Next season on 09:33 - Apr 28 with 3545 viewselectricblue

Next season on 09:31 - Apr 28 by seasidedale

The squad budget is going to be affected as there could be not money from the cup pools. As you know the gate receipts from cup matches are divided into 3. A third of that goes into a pool and distributed to the clubs at end of the season, as there have been to receipts nothing would be forthcoming and have a massive effect on recruitment next season, thank good the Dawson money is coming this summer, might be able to recruit with it

Will the Dawson money not be ear marked to pay back RMBC for the pitch monies borrowed......

Next season on 09:47 - Apr 28 with 3499 viewsBigDaveMyCock

If BBM is to stay a new approach to how the team defends that isn’t just ball retention. Retaining players on genuine merit, that is, their performances. For example, how long has McNulty been here? Whether he’s out of contract or not his performances have in no way merited his tenure. Not taking so many gambles on persistently injured players. We’ll have no chance next season if half of the first team are only managing 10-20 games.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Next season on 10:06 - Apr 28 with 3408 viewsSuddenLad

It's obvious that players like McShane, Ryan and probably McNulty aren't going to be here another season, perhaps others like Done will be seen as a luxury we can no longer afford. Osho, Bazunu, Vale and other loanees are all going back.

Agents will be falling over themselves to get their players fixed up elsewhere and the budget will likely be cut again creating further restrictions as to the size of the squad.

It's already going to be a rebuilding job, wherever we kick off next season. Hopefully, the serious planning started a long time ago and there is a clear plan in place.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Next season on 10:16 - Apr 28 with 3367 viewsDaleFan7

We need to think long and hard about keeping players on that can't play 90 minutes more than once a month.

McLaughlin, Lund, Ryan, McShane etc. I'd say they either need to take wage cuts, pay per play or we need to get rid and replace with others. Given we're in a lower division, hopefully that will be cheaper to do.

Try to get some experience and physicality into the team. No doubt we'll be able to score goals against lesser opposition but we really aren't strong enough in any area of the pitch.
Next season on 10:24 - Apr 28 with 3334 views49thseason

I think the released list will reflect salary rather than ability. McNulty should be gone on either count and anyone who thinks Done is the answer didnt understand the question. I suspect O' Connell will be gone and maybe Rathbone.and probably Baah.
I think the last few weeks have proved that Lynch is better than a loan like Bazunu.
All this means the recruitment of 3 centre halves assuming McShane will retire, a left back, a new contract for McLaughlin, a box to box midfielder, and another striker.
Can Dunne and Brierley make meaningful contributions in L2? I guess it remains to be seen.
Tactically I would love to go back to the "footballing them to death" attitude but we will need pace and power, not tippy tappy in our own half.
Login to get fewer ads

Next season on 10:24 - Apr 28 with 3335 viewsDalenet

Next season on 10:06 - Apr 28 by SuddenLad

It's obvious that players like McShane, Ryan and probably McNulty aren't going to be here another season, perhaps others like Done will be seen as a luxury we can no longer afford. Osho, Bazunu, Vale and other loanees are all going back.

Agents will be falling over themselves to get their players fixed up elsewhere and the budget will likely be cut again creating further restrictions as to the size of the squad.

It's already going to be a rebuilding job, wherever we kick off next season. Hopefully, the serious planning started a long time ago and there is a clear plan in place.

That last sentence frightens me to death. Rawlinson said they had a plan at the forum. Not sure he knew what was in it. The Board claimed they had a plan to keep us in League One. That worked! I have no confidence that there is a plan beyond "lets set a budget and muddle through".

I don't accept that players will struggle to find clubs this next season. The culture of the sport is to speculate and invest for success. Most of it doesn't work of course. But with most clubs owned by a backer, and with the prospects of fuller incomes for 2022, the majority will look to reinvest in their squads. We will have to fight for the scraps and pick off the crumbs. I would be less pessimistic if we could see some of the academy kids coming through. But the rumours imply not. And the youngsters with pro contracts didn't get a sniff this year.

The wider pandemic has taken its toll on my mood. The football could have been the counter balance. But it has made it worse. I am slowly falling out of love with Dale and I am hearing nothing at all from the Board, or the club to reassurance me that we are not in a downward spiral. I hope I snap out of it, but my chequebook remains closed until the so called plan is shared with us all. I certainly don't subscribe to soundbites that have no substance.
Next season on 10:39 - Apr 28 with 3301 viewsAtThePeake

Next season on 10:24 - Apr 28 by 49thseason

I think the released list will reflect salary rather than ability. McNulty should be gone on either count and anyone who thinks Done is the answer didnt understand the question. I suspect O' Connell will be gone and maybe Rathbone.and probably Baah.
I think the last few weeks have proved that Lynch is better than a loan like Bazunu.
All this means the recruitment of 3 centre halves assuming McShane will retire, a left back, a new contract for McLaughlin, a box to box midfielder, and another striker.
Can Dunne and Brierley make meaningful contributions in L2? I guess it remains to be seen.
Tactically I would love to go back to the "footballing them to death" attitude but we will need pace and power, not tippy tappy in our own half.

Lynch is better than a loan like Bazunu, but he's not better than a loan like Sanchez.

Doesn't matter whether they're on loan or not, what matters is how good they are. Lynch has been improved of late, but we can still do better.

Tangled up in blue.

Next season on 11:15 - Apr 28 with 3200 viewsSuddenLad

Next season on 10:24 - Apr 28 by Dalenet

That last sentence frightens me to death. Rawlinson said they had a plan at the forum. Not sure he knew what was in it. The Board claimed they had a plan to keep us in League One. That worked! I have no confidence that there is a plan beyond "lets set a budget and muddle through".

I don't accept that players will struggle to find clubs this next season. The culture of the sport is to speculate and invest for success. Most of it doesn't work of course. But with most clubs owned by a backer, and with the prospects of fuller incomes for 2022, the majority will look to reinvest in their squads. We will have to fight for the scraps and pick off the crumbs. I would be less pessimistic if we could see some of the academy kids coming through. But the rumours imply not. And the youngsters with pro contracts didn't get a sniff this year.

The wider pandemic has taken its toll on my mood. The football could have been the counter balance. But it has made it worse. I am slowly falling out of love with Dale and I am hearing nothing at all from the Board, or the club to reassurance me that we are not in a downward spiral. I hope I snap out of it, but my chequebook remains closed until the so called plan is shared with us all. I certainly don't subscribe to soundbites that have no substance.

Just to clarify - I'm not suggesting for a second that players will struggle to get clubs, but more that agents will instigate moves to get them better deals up the pyramid.

Additionally, previous managers and Chairmen (when we had one) were always quick to say that planning for the next season always began many months ahead in terms of recruitment options. I would hope the same policy has been adhered to, but I accept that the
likely outcome will inevitably affect those plans. Things scrawled on fag packets at Board meetings hardly constitutes policy.

Meanwhile, the collective omerta in the corridors of power is shameful. At least we get to hear from the players and manager, so those upstairs do know that we still exist. I think.

Next season on 11:24 - Apr 28 with 3175 viewsChaffRAFC

This recent form shouldn't paper over the issues we've seen this season. There are plenty out of contract and if we are confirmed as relegated I really wouldn't want to be rewarding failure.

The likes of Done and Lynch have picked up form in recent weeks but Done especially, is 33 in summer. He's played well for about 3 months of his whole last three years and is reportedly a big earner. Lynch hasn't overly impressed and with the emergence of Wade, I'd much prefer us to release him and utilize the loan market for a keeper.

Jim McNulty hasn't been good enough for far too long in my own view. Very much a back up now but looks like he's heading to the coaching side so either a coaching contract or pay as you play deal with coaching included at most.

Ryan McLaughlin is a tricky one because of how injury prone he is. We've got 22 starts and 11 sub appearances out of him this season. Is that enough? I wouldn't be surprised to see him offered a new one and if it's a similar deal to last season then I'd be ok with it.

Eoghan O'Connell - Offer him a new deal and hope he signs it

Matt Lund - See above

Jimmy Keohane is one who has changed my mind over the season. A new deal fully deserved.

Jimmy Ryan hasn't played enough and should probably be released to save a big wage while Paul McShane is mid 30's and on a big wage as well and we've seen how much we struggle to get him on the pitch so I don't expect him here next season, nor would I offer him a deal.

Stephen Dooley hasn't done enough to warrant a new deal, even on reduced terms.

Obviously if we do go down, we will probably have teams looking at the stats man Aaron Morley and the likes of Humphrys and we may struggle to keep those two as well it should be another big summer in the transfer market for Dale you'd think and it would be interesting to see how the finances are and what we can offer and what we can't.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Next season on 11:29 - Apr 28 with 3149 viewsfitzochris

Next season on 11:24 - Apr 28 by ChaffRAFC

This recent form shouldn't paper over the issues we've seen this season. There are plenty out of contract and if we are confirmed as relegated I really wouldn't want to be rewarding failure.

The likes of Done and Lynch have picked up form in recent weeks but Done especially, is 33 in summer. He's played well for about 3 months of his whole last three years and is reportedly a big earner. Lynch hasn't overly impressed and with the emergence of Wade, I'd much prefer us to release him and utilize the loan market for a keeper.

Jim McNulty hasn't been good enough for far too long in my own view. Very much a back up now but looks like he's heading to the coaching side so either a coaching contract or pay as you play deal with coaching included at most.

Ryan McLaughlin is a tricky one because of how injury prone he is. We've got 22 starts and 11 sub appearances out of him this season. Is that enough? I wouldn't be surprised to see him offered a new one and if it's a similar deal to last season then I'd be ok with it.

Matt Lund - See above

Jimmy Keohane is one who has changed my mind over the season. A new deal fully deserved.

Jimmy Ryan hasn't played enough and should probably be released to save a big wage while Paul McShane is mid 30's and on a big wage as well and we've seen how much we struggle to get him on the pitch so I don't expect him here next season, nor would I offer him a deal.

Obviously if we do go down, we will probably have teams looking at the stats man Aaron Morley and the likes of Humphrys and we may struggle to keep those two as well it should be another big summer in the transfer market for Dale you'd think and it would be interesting to see how the finances are and what we can offer and what we can't.

Agree with all that - and you can add Baah and Rathbone to the list of those likely to disappear also.

I can see it being very much a case of back to the drawing board this summer, for whoever may be manager.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Next season on 11:58 - Apr 28 with 3081 viewsboromat

Next season on 10:24 - Apr 28 by Dalenet

The plan is to hire a Sporting Director with a plan isn't it?

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Next season on 12:14 - Apr 28 with 3048 viewsChaffRAFC

Next season on 11:29 - Apr 28 by fitzochris

Agree with all that - and you can add Baah and Rathbone to the list of those likely to disappear also.

I can see it being very much a case of back to the drawing board this summer, for whoever may be manager.

Absolutely, luckily Rathbone is contracted and will command a fee and presumably we've offered Baah one so we at least get compensation.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Next season on 12:16 - Apr 28 with 3040 viewsIOMDale

Next season on 12:14 - Apr 28 by ChaffRAFC

Absolutely, luckily Rathbone is contracted and will command a fee and presumably we've offered Baah one so we at least get compensation.

... So long as Baah doesn't head up to Scotland or abroad.

UTDNFS

Next season on 12:17 - Apr 28 with 3040 viewselectricblue

Next season on 11:58 - Apr 28 by boromat

The plan is to hire a Sporting Director with a plan isn't it?

Its a tad to late for that imo....

If the board where serious in a director of football then that person should have been hired several mo ths ago..........

Anyway a director of football is a wasted wage if the playing budget gets slashed again....

What is important is which direction the board are heading tbis needs to be resolved asap, not in several months time.....

Next season on 12:33 - Apr 28 with 2979 views49thseason

"Lynch is better than a loan like Bazunu, but he's not better than a loan like Sanchez"
Or a loan like Heaton or Fielding or Lonergan or any number of goalkeepers we have had on loan. I wont say there are no 18 year olds good enough but they are few and far between, I can understand the club trying to get closer to a giant like City but there has to be some application of common sense, taking their number 5 keeper with little match experience to be our number 1 was just silly and doomed to failure and probably not at all helpful in the players development.
Next season on 12:40 - Apr 28 with 2952 viewsjonahwhereru

Next season on 11:24 - Apr 28 by ChaffRAFC

Matt Lund - See above

Chaff your right McLaughlin is a tricky one. When he signed a low wage deal with us, I thought if we get 20 starts out of him that is reasonable business. However the sporadic nature of the appearances has disrupted the back four / five frequently. With Keohane and Done being the main sufferers.
I think Mc and Jimmy both deserve to get new deals. However I am not sure I could tolerate another year of the fickle ones on this site scapegoating the pair of the for another season. Mc for being absent and Jimmy whenever we concede or he doesn’t score.
I know we now has Shaughnessy for the negatives to crack into incessantly but will that be enough for them. I am just not sure.
Next season on 12:45 - Apr 28 with 2926 viewsfitzochris

Next season on 12:14 - Apr 28 by ChaffRAFC

We turned down £250k from Hull in the early part of this season. I reckon the same again will see him gone this time, sadly.

Baah may travel somewhere that makes him exempt from comp too - which would be a disaster for us.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Next season on 12:45 - Apr 28 with 2923 viewsBucketBstard

Looks like we are stuck with BBM , if so his style of football and the "plan" or "project" whatever he calls it , didnt work in League 1 even if we stay up by a miracle . It certainly wont work in L2.
Please dear good get rid of McNumpty , and I'm afraid I dont have the confidence some people have in McShane's ability , he has been at fault for quite a number of goals of late.
I think he will retire anyway.
We could have a similar season again if we persist with this philosophy of football. Especially if we throw more kids in . L2 is now much tougher than it was when we climbed out twice before in recent years.
Next season on 12:49 - Apr 28 with 2903 viewsSuddenLad

Next season on 12:17 - Apr 28 by electricblue

Its a tad to late for that imo....

If the board where serious in a director of football then that person should have been hired several mo ths ago..........

Anyway a director of football is a wasted wage if the playing budget gets slashed again....

What is important is which direction the board are heading tbis needs to be resolved asap, not in several months time.....

I'm sure our esteemed CEO said that the appointment of a Sporting Director had attracted a wave of interest, but that the appointment was to be made 'in the future'. I presumed that meant after the conclusion of this season, but before the next one.

Budgets will be tight, so I doubt if it will be a 'headline' appointment. Unless Eva Speakman has untapped talents.

Next season on 12:54 - Apr 28 with 2883 viewsTVOS1907

Next season on 12:45 - Apr 28 by BucketBstard

Looks like we are stuck with BBM , if so his style of football and the "plan" or "project" whatever he calls it , didnt work in League 1 even if we stay up by a miracle . It certainly wont work in L2.
Please dear good get rid of McNumpty , and I'm afraid I dont have the confidence some people have in McShane's ability , he has been at fault for quite a number of goals of late.
I think he will retire anyway.
We could have a similar season again if we persist with this philosophy of football. Especially if we throw more kids in . L2 is now much tougher than it was when we climbed out twice before in recent years.

On what evidence is League 2 much tougher than when we were promoted from it twice in the last 11 years?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Next season on 13:03 - Apr 28 with 2850 viewsD_Alien

Given recent forays into the non-league pool of possibilities, i'm expecting more of the same during the close season

Out of 10 for their first season in league football (where 6 can be counted as a useful signing):

Beesley - 7
Newby - 5.5

Plus youngsters not catching first team squads from higher up the chain (which might well include L1):

Grant - 6.5
Shaughnessy - 5

There's sure to be room for improvement in them all (in particular, Shaughnessy has begun to show signs of not being totally useless) but the end result would be a side lacking experience and with key players leaving, leadership

As we know all too well, L2 is no place for naivety, but that's what we'll be watching again, i'm afraid. From the top down

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Next season on 13:20 - Apr 28 with 2789 views49thseason

5 is a bit harsh on Shaughnessy given that he is short of 1st team experience and simply seems to have taken a bit longer to integrate. He is improving with every game and has enough height to be more than useful in the ariel battles of L2 . Grant has done better so far but no two players are the same and some will take longer than others to adapt. I think he might surprise you next year. Assuming of course that there is a next year......
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024