Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton 14:10 - Oct 22 with 19207 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

Match Preview: Dale vs Sutton 22nd Oct 2021 14:09
Dale's search for a long-awaited win continues as newly-promoted Sutton United head to Spotland for the first time ever on Saturday. 0

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton (n/t) on 18:53 - Oct 23 with 2774 views_Windydale

For me, it means, standing tall one on one. blocking the shot and making it hard to score around him, through him.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2021 18:55]
Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 18:56 - Oct 23 with 2745 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 18:44 - Oct 23 by funkkk

There’s not many professional goalkeepers I would class as bad shot stoppers, always seems such a strange comment to make.

Indeed

It can never be used as an excuse for weaknesses in other areas of the role

Lynch would be being crucified (even more) for similar and imo there's little between them - both lower league keepers who'll have good & bad games

Robbie clearly prefers Coleman so we'll just have to put up with a few errors and hope they don't cost us

See Sanchez made an absolute howler to gift City the lead earlier too

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 18:58 - Oct 23 with 2730 viewsboromat

We needed a win and we got one. Yes it was looking like being much more comfortable than it ended up being but I'll take that. After a few weeks of struggling to finish we've scored 3. McNulty's distribution made such a difference, think I'd have Taylor instead of Graham but maybe pace is why he's in the team. Newby and O'Keefe linking up well again like earlier in the season. Morley and Kelly looked great in midfield.

The corners were awfully defended. One of them had Grant marking one of their Centre Half's complete mix match! The second one I'll have to look back there could have been a foul in there but on the first viewing I thought our players went down easy.

Comment on the red card as well. What a stupid thing to do?! Literally asking for an early bath.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 19:13 - Oct 23 with 2653 views_Windydale

https://www.skysports.com/football/rochdale-vs-sutton-united/448604
Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 19:32 - Oct 23 with 2546 viewsShun

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 18:56 - Oct 23 by D_Alien

Indeed

It can never be used as an excuse for weaknesses in other areas of the role

Lynch would be being crucified (even more) for similar and imo there's little between them - both lower league keepers who'll have good & bad games

Robbie clearly prefers Coleman so we'll just have to put up with a few errors and hope they don't cost us

See Sanchez made an absolute howler to gift City the lead earlier too

True, but can you recall Lynch having a game like Coleman did on Tuesday where he almost single-handedly (EOC helped) got us a result? I can’t. For me Coleman is far better.
Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 19:51 - Oct 23 with 2434 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 19:32 - Oct 23 by Shun

True, but can you recall Lynch having a game like Coleman did on Tuesday where he almost single-handedly (EOC helped) got us a result? I can’t. For me Coleman is far better.

I don't need to provide that type of game reference

The simple fact is that both can stop shots pretty well but both are prone to positioning/handling errors

Coleman certainly isn't far better, but he might be marginally better which is why the manager is selecting him ahead of Lynch. Should Coleman lose his confidence i really don't think our ability to achieve results would be significantly diminished if Lynch was between the sticks instead

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 19:56 - Oct 23 with 2411 viewsdownunder

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 16:04 - Oct 23 by Sheffdale

West Indies 49 for 8 as I take a h-t break! and 49 for 9 as football restarts.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2021 16:08]

55 all out I see. Just got up to watch NZ hopefully score more v USA. -Nice to get a home win, no matter how it was achieved.
Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 19:59 - Oct 23 with 2386 viewsShun

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 19:51 - Oct 23 by D_Alien

I don't need to provide that type of game reference

The simple fact is that both can stop shots pretty well but both are prone to positioning/handling errors

Coleman certainly isn't far better, but he might be marginally better which is why the manager is selecting him ahead of Lynch. Should Coleman lose his confidence i really don't think our ability to achieve results would be significantly diminished if Lynch was between the sticks instead

You don’t, but it would support your point as currently there’s little evidence to suggest the two keepers are of the same standard. You only have to look at their careers thus far to get an inkling to their abilities - Coleman is 26 and has only played at League One level and above. Lynch is 2 years older and before coming to Dale he’d never played league football before.
Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 20:03 - Oct 23 with 2362 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 19:59 - Oct 23 by Shun

You don’t, but it would support your point as currently there’s little evidence to suggest the two keepers are of the same standard. You only have to look at their careers thus far to get an inkling to their abilities - Coleman is 26 and has only played at League One level and above. Lynch is 2 years older and before coming to Dale he’d never played league football before.

It would appear that Coleman is being selected ahead of Lynch (if we take your point) on the basis of greater football league experience then

Which is fine, but that basis alone doesn't make him a better keeper - although he might be. My point is simply that there's very little to choose between them based on performances for Dale alone

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 20:08 - Oct 23 with 2328 viewsboromat

I prefer Lynch but there's not alot in it.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 20:12 - Oct 23 with 2298 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 20:03 - Oct 23 by D_Alien

It would appear that Coleman is being selected ahead of Lynch (if we take your point) on the basis of greater football league experience then

Which is fine, but that basis alone doesn't make him a better keeper - although he might be. My point is simply that there's very little to choose between them based on performances for Dale alone

It's a bit like two bald men fighting over a comb.

Here's a good question though - who's better, Coleman, Lynch or Lillis?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 20:14 - Oct 23 with 2280 viewsswiggy

Jim is 480 games in front of all of us, that’s because he can play football. Mr Dorsett hasn’t been pulling up trees and in fact has been crap, in the future he may become a good footballer but at the moment isn’t fit to look lace Jim’s boots. See my earlier post re Mr Graham, please look as though you care or don’t bother. If you try and put in effort any teams supporters will back you but if you don’t care why should we?
Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 20:16 - Oct 23 with 2266 views442Dale

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 20:12 - Oct 23 by TVOS1907

It’s not even up for debate. Lillis played more games than any other Dale keeper and throughout one of our most successful ever eras.

It’s been done to death on here, but his relative consistency and presence is one that was perhaps taken for granted.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 20:21 - Oct 23 with 2215 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 20:14 - Oct 23 by swiggy

Jim is 480 games in front of all of us, that’s because he can play football. Mr Dorsett hasn’t been pulling up trees and in fact has been crap, in the future he may become a good footballer but at the moment isn’t fit to look lace Jim’s boots. See my earlier post re Mr Graham, please look as though you care or don’t bother. If you try and put in effort any teams supporters will back you but if you don’t care why should we?

Graham won four aerial duels today, made five clearances, one key pass and one block. He also made 53 passes with 77.4% accuracy.

So he was doing something.

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 20:55 - Oct 23 with 2093 views49thseason

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 20:21 - Oct 23 by TVOS1907

Graham won four aerial duels today, made five clearances, one key pass and one block. He also made 53 passes with 77.4% accuracy.

So he was doing something.

I thought he did OK today, there were a couple of occasions in the second half out on our right when he used some pace I didnt realise he had. I think we have to realise that a number of the lads we have brought in from playing academy football are learning the professional game in L2 on the job. As long as they continue to learn I can live with a few mistakes.

I don't know if Stockdale has his best team sorted out yet, I imagine Andrews is a big miss at the moment, and what is going on with Taylor who was recently given a 2 year contract?

It was important to force a win out of today's game no matter how they managed it and it will stand them in good stead mentally as it adds belief and focus from what was another visit to the land of the giants.
Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 21:07 - Oct 23 with 2034 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 20:55 - Oct 23 by 49thseason

I thought he did OK today, there were a couple of occasions in the second half out on our right when he used some pace I didnt realise he had. I think we have to realise that a number of the lads we have brought in from playing academy football are learning the professional game in L2 on the job. As long as they continue to learn I can live with a few mistakes.

I don't know if Stockdale has his best team sorted out yet, I imagine Andrews is a big miss at the moment, and what is going on with Taylor who was recently given a 2 year contract?

It was important to force a win out of today's game no matter how they managed it and it will stand them in good stead mentally as it adds belief and focus from what was another visit to the land of the giants.

Yep, agree with all that.

I'm not sure anything sinister is going on with Taylor. Maybe he wasn't involved recently for other reasons. The manager has preferred Dorsett and Graham in recent weeks (Taylor played in the PJT at Port Vale, don't forget) and maybe he wanted McNulty's greater experience today, but that's just guesswork.

I'm sure Taylor will be back in before too long and one of the aforementioned will have a spell on the bench.

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 21:12 - Oct 23 with 2013 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 20:12 - Oct 23 by TVOS1907

Don't try brushing it under the carpet!

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 21:30 - Oct 23 with 1936 viewsBlueMessiah

Lots of positives from today, not least the result. Despite all the criticism (as much from me as anyone else) Big Jim had a really good game. The rest of the defence, without being spectacular, didn't do much wrong. Kelly was the best player on the pitch by a mile and was easily MOM, always making himself available and very rarely conceding possession, weighing in with a fabulous assist and a very well taken goal was the icing on the cake.
On the negative side I feel we're a bit weak up front, in that most 50/50s seem to go to the opposition - maybe we're a bit too nice? Our inability to defend corners though, must be legendary throughout the leagues. It seems no matter who is the manager, coaches or players, we just can't do it. 7 vs 11 in the penalty area for both their goals really does leave you scratching your head.
Still, a very welcome home win and 3 points and nice to be playing towards the Pearl Street second half for a change.
Onwards and upwards!
[Post edited 23 Oct 2021 21:31]

Poll: Do I Know You?

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 21:37 - Oct 23 with 1890 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 21:30 - Oct 23 by BlueMessiah

Lots of positives from today, not least the result. Despite all the criticism (as much from me as anyone else) Big Jim had a really good game. The rest of the defence, without being spectacular, didn't do much wrong. Kelly was the best player on the pitch by a mile and was easily MOM, always making himself available and very rarely conceding possession, weighing in with a fabulous assist and a very well taken goal was the icing on the cake.
On the negative side I feel we're a bit weak up front, in that most 50/50s seem to go to the opposition - maybe we're a bit too nice? Our inability to defend corners though, must be legendary throughout the leagues. It seems no matter who is the manager, coaches or players, we just can't do it. 7 vs 11 in the penalty area for both their goals really does leave you scratching your head.
Still, a very welcome home win and 3 points and nice to be playing towards the Pearl Street second half for a change.
Onwards and upwards!
[Post edited 23 Oct 2021 21:31]

We've attacked Pearl Street in the second half in two home games this season - and won both!
[Post edited 23 Oct 2021 22:21]

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 21:55 - Oct 23 with 1806 views1907

What I’m finding most frustrating about this season is that we are very much more capable than our league position states.

Port Vale are second, Northampton third. We’ve beaten both of them away and neither were very good.

Forest Green are top of the league and they should never have beaten us either.

I don’t want this season to be a season of excuses about “how far we’ve come etc” because the squad assembled is good & extremely capable.

Stockdale needs to maximise what is available to him & start doing the right things

I feel like a broken record but this formation clearly isn’t working. Graham clearly needs a break from the team & we could actually end up having an unbelievably good year.

Today was a great and important result, but I’m struggling to understand how we conspired to make it so difficult.
Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 21:55 - Oct 23 with 1803 viewsnordenblue

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 21:37 - Oct 23 by TVOS1907

We've attacked Pearl Street in the second half in two home games this season - and won both!
[Post edited 23 Oct 2021 22:21]

To what?😉
Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 22:13 - Oct 23 with 1722 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Is there any reason that white is not starting? He must be a decent earner and should be one of the best players on the pitch ability wise, along with Kelly who is a class above anything in midfield in this league, let alone our squad.

Be nice to have 6 or 7 of the team picking itself every week (and not just because they are all we have)

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 22:22 - Oct 23 with 1682 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 21:55 - Oct 23 by nordenblue

To what?😉

Don't know what you mean.

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 23:05 - Oct 23 with 1542 viewsEllDale

First of all, has anyone seen a bigger team than Sutton?
Most of their side must be six feet plus.
One of the biggest got himself sent off though and that dismissal changed the game completely.
They weren’t just bullies though, there was one period in the first half where we didn’t see the ball at all for a couple of minutes.
We controlled the first 30 minutes of the second half and stretched and probed them relentlessly. Really impressed with that although one or two in the Sandy weren’t over happy.
But then all the old faults of the last six or seven years bubbled to the surface.
Giving free kicks away in dangerous areas, being unable to defend set pieces into the box, being unable to defend a lead.
Can’t really identify what happened to give them the whip hand but they really stepped up a gear, ironically when they brought on a smaller, more mobile forward upfront.
Three great goals though, and the first was a fantastic pass and a brilliant finish.
Now that Kelly is getting match fit he, O’Connell and Beesley should be the first three names on the team sheet every week.
As for selection, if Dorsett wasn’t available for whatever reason then Jim was the obvious replacement, purely and simply because he’s left footed.
Apparently he was at Port Vale the other Tuesday and looked classy today.
I
Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 23:18 - Oct 23 with 1504 viewsGatekeeper

Congratulations on you win. Was very impressed by your team fans and club.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024