Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton 14:10 - Oct 22 with 19247 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

Match Preview: Dale vs Sutton 22nd Oct 2021 14:09
Dale's search for a long-awaited win continues as newly-promoted Sutton United head to Spotland for the first time ever on Saturday. 0

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 23:55 - Oct 23 with 3975 views_Windydale

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 17:26 - Oct 23 by 442Dale

The three central defenders weren’t an issue today. Both wing backs were able to play further forward and we were able to start attacks from there with Jim indeed playing well.

Bar missing the chances we managed the game well apart from the obvious at set pieces. Whilst we shouldn’t ignore that we threw away a two goal lead, nor should we forget that we were pretty good in the main and were getting the ball into dangerous areas again much more.

That's the way I saw the game. On the whole, it was an entertaining game, with performances all around on the up. Nice to see Morley score and hope he makes a habit of scoring goals. He's got the talent.
Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 00:07 - Oct 24 with 3947 viewsmikehunt

I feel some reactions to todays result are a little skewed: blinded by the two (almost) disastrous goals from corners we gave away.
We played a very competent game against a team that had won 6 out of their last eight games. We were never under any serious pressure and were producing the kind of football we had started the season playing.
Corners are our problem though: we can't take them and we can't defend them. Our players aren't tall enough against a team like Sutton for a start off. Carry on playing like we did today though and we should be fine. I mean, next time, Coleman gets the punch right and it won't fall to one of their players. Also, he made a fantastic point blank save (not a flap) before their first goal. Just unfortunate one of them got to the ball first.
So, take the two lapses out and assess the match. We played bloody well.
Also, we seemed to score another sublime goal that was ruled offside. Shame as, from the Sandy, it looked better than Newby's.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 10:07 - Oct 24 with 3542 viewsDaleiLama

Were we perfect - absolutely not. Did we try from the first minute to the last, get the win we deserved and take another step forward as a young team with a young manager, doing the equivalent of what Simon and the board is doing upstairs? Absolutely. Jim confounded all expectations and rallied the team from the back but all 11 men played their part in a gutsy win yesterday. That winner felt more like 9 points than 3. Great game for a neutral...... I brought one yesterday and he loved it. Cant remember being entertained as much as that at Spotland for way too long. More of that please lads.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 10:58 - Oct 24 with 3418 viewsDaleiLama

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 11:12 - Oct 24 with 3379 views49thseason

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 21:30 - Oct 23 by BlueMessiah

Lots of positives from today, not least the result. Despite all the criticism (as much from me as anyone else) Big Jim had a really good game. The rest of the defence, without being spectacular, didn't do much wrong. Kelly was the best player on the pitch by a mile and was easily MOM, always making himself available and very rarely conceding possession, weighing in with a fabulous assist and a very well taken goal was the icing on the cake.
On the negative side I feel we're a bit weak up front, in that most 50/50s seem to go to the opposition - maybe we're a bit too nice? Our inability to defend corners though, must be legendary throughout the leagues. It seems no matter who is the manager, coaches or players, we just can't do it. 7 vs 11 in the penalty area for both their goals really does leave you scratching your head.
Still, a very welcome home win and 3 points and nice to be playing towards the Pearl Street second half for a change.
Onwards and upwards!
[Post edited 23 Oct 2021 21:31]

Maybe the corner problem lies in the fact that we do put 11 men into defending the corner, if we were to leave two men up the pitch, they would have to pull at least 2 men back to mark them, the area would be less congested the keeper would get an easier run at a catch or punch.
Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 11:27 - Oct 24 with 3340 viewsEllDale

One annoying thing to my mind is that opposition always seem to cause problems with their corners whilst ours are an anti-climax.
We’ve spent months moaning about Morley not being able to get the ball past the near post and on a couple of occasions yesterday Kelly fired the ball way over the far post and almost out of play!
We do seem to have a couple of neat short corner/free kick routines which shows that some work is going into the problem.
Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 11:32 - Oct 24 with 3327 viewsEllDale

I don’t want to resurrect the goalkeeping issues from earlier in the thread, but, after watching highlights, I’m wondering about Sutton’s first goal.
Yes, Coleman makes a great reflex save, but the header came from relatively close range.
Shouldn’t he have been punching that one clear and being first contact onto the corner?
Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 13:41 - Oct 24 with 3076 viewsShun

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 00:07 - Oct 24 by mikehunt

I feel some reactions to todays result are a little skewed: blinded by the two (almost) disastrous goals from corners we gave away.
We played a very competent game against a team that had won 6 out of their last eight games. We were never under any serious pressure and were producing the kind of football we had started the season playing.
Corners are our problem though: we can't take them and we can't defend them. Our players aren't tall enough against a team like Sutton for a start off. Carry on playing like we did today though and we should be fine. I mean, next time, Coleman gets the punch right and it won't fall to one of their players. Also, he made a fantastic point blank save (not a flap) before their first goal. Just unfortunate one of them got to the ball first.
So, take the two lapses out and assess the match. We played bloody well.
Also, we seemed to score another sublime goal that was ruled offside. Shame as, from the Sandy, it looked better than Newby's.

The offside goal was Newby’s! I also thought O’Keefe had a good shout for a penalty when we were 2-0 up. He does go down too easily a lot of the time but I thought this one seemed a foul, and I’m sure if we hadn’t been cruising at the time there would’ve been more of an appeal.
Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 14:11 - Oct 24 with 2995 viewsDrigdale

We use a zonal defence and put the 3 centre backs plus Beesley on the 6 yard line. Everyone leaves it to each other and no one takes individual responsibility. I'd much rather see defenders man marking and if an opponent does score you know who is at fault.
I also agree with the majority of posters and cannot find any reason whatsoever for not leaving at least one player on the half way line when we are defending a corner.
Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 15:34 - Oct 24 with 2841 viewsDaleiLama

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 13:41 - Oct 24 by Shun

The offside goal was Newby’s! I also thought O’Keefe had a good shout for a penalty when we were 2-0 up. He does go down too easily a lot of the time but I thought this one seemed a foul, and I’m sure if we hadn’t been cruising at the time there would’ve been more of an appeal.

I thought it was probably a pen - g/fs dad (neutral) who was an ex-pro said it was nailed on. I speculated it might not have been given as we were cruising v 10 men at the time but he rightly pointed out it should still be given regardless. On another day that could have cost us 2 points.

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 15:46 - Oct 24 with 2823 viewsdiver

Attendance 2248 I think bringing back cash turnstiles (especially on Sandy) would be worth considering to increase receipts.
Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 16:01 - Oct 24 with 2778 views49thseason

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 15:46 - Oct 24 by diver

Attendance 2248 I think bringing back cash turnstiles (especially on Sandy) would be worth considering to increase receipts.

Its a good point, I have a couple friends who might have gone to an occasional game who wouldn't pay anything except cash. The prospect of queuing up at the office to buy a ticket doesn't thrill them very much and on some match days you cant even do that ... Altogether too complicated for many occasional spectators and much easier not to bother.
Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 16:21 - Oct 24 with 2719 views442Dale

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 16:01 - Oct 24 by 49thseason

Its a good point, I have a couple friends who might have gone to an occasional game who wouldn't pay anything except cash. The prospect of queuing up at the office to buy a ticket doesn't thrill them very much and on some match days you cant even do that ... Altogether too complicated for many occasional spectators and much easier not to bother.

It’s really easy to do as well: have one cash turnstile with someone in where they issue the tickets which scan people through.

Surely it’s worth a trial? Plus it reduces the footfall at the ticket office before kick-off

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 16:29 - Oct 24 with 2689 viewsDalenet

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 16:21 - Oct 24 by 442Dale

It’s really easy to do as well: have one cash turnstile with someone in where they issue the tickets which scan people through.

Surely it’s worth a trial? Plus it reduces the footfall at the ticket office before kick-off

Although there would then be moans that they can't sit where they choose. You can't win. Let's be honest, we have had attendances around 2100 before when we aren't winning games. Win a couple and they'll be back. Interesting that the Oldham game attracted over 3,700 fans that weren't too bothered about not being able to pay cash. I suspect there were hardly any queues for tickets yesterday
Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 16:48 - Oct 24 with 2649 views442Dale

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 16:29 - Oct 24 by Dalenet

Although there would then be moans that they can't sit where they choose. You can't win. Let's be honest, we have had attendances around 2100 before when we aren't winning games. Win a couple and they'll be back. Interesting that the Oldham game attracted over 3,700 fans that weren't too bothered about not being able to pay cash. I suspect there were hardly any queues for tickets yesterday

Meant in the Sandy Lane.

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 17:24 - Oct 24 with 2568 viewsdiver

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 16:29 - Oct 24 by Dalenet

After the fiasco at today’s match at Old Trafford we might attract some United fans!!
Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 17:28 - Oct 24 with 2543 views442Dale

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 17:24 - Oct 24 by diver

After the fiasco at today’s match at Old Trafford we might attract some United fans!!

Not sure there’s a worse manager of a top club than Solksjaer. He’s been in charge nearly three years and they still have no structure or defined set of tactics outside of pretending it’s 1999.

If he cares, he walks after this.

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 19:53 - Oct 24 with 2285 viewsboromat

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 11:32 - Oct 24 by EllDale

I don’t want to resurrect the goalkeeping issues from earlier in the thread, but, after watching highlights, I’m wondering about Sutton’s first goal.
Yes, Coleman makes a great reflex save, but the header came from relatively close range.
Shouldn’t he have been punching that one clear and being first contact onto the corner?

After watching the highlights he should catch it. It's straight at him.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 20:23 - Oct 24 with 2210 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 19:53 - Oct 24 by boromat

After watching the highlights he should catch it. It's straight at him.

It's fine margins

A top class keeper might've caught it, but my first thought was "well stopped"

The second goal is a different matter, but a point has been made earlier about congested penalty areas at corners that might have some relevance. We're just not getting it right but it's something that can be fixed; or at least, errors minimised

[Post edited 24 Oct 2021 20:24]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 21:54 - Oct 24 with 2026 viewsboromat

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 20:23 - Oct 24 by D_Alien

It's fine margins

A top class keeper might've caught it, but my first thought was "well stopped"

The second goal is a different matter, but a point has been made earlier about congested penalty areas at corners that might have some relevance. We're just not getting it right but it's something that can be fixed; or at least, errors minimised

[Post edited 24 Oct 2021 20:24]

I had the same first thought. I do think Coleman has a tendency to punch or palm rather than catch. But that's why he's an average league 2 keeper.

Second goal was poor defending out numbered and overpowered at the back post.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 08:21 - Oct 25 with 1731 viewsHullDale

Morley & Kelly in Lg2 team of the week.

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 10:15 - Oct 26 with 1275 viewsDaleiLama

Young 'uns getting in on the late goal action too!

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 10:28 - Oct 26 with 1232 viewsNigeriamark

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 10:15 - Oct 26 by DaleiLama

Young 'uns getting in on the late goal action too!

1st goal is a comedy classic.
Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 11:00 - Oct 26 with 1190 viewsisitme

Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 10:28 - Oct 26 by Nigeriamark

1st goal is a comedy classic.

Good to see a sighting of the lesser spotted Peter Thomas.
Match Thread: Dale vs Sutton on 12:19 - Oct 26 with 1098 viewsBucketBstard

Oh dear .... when praise is out for McNumpty , who out of his 160 odd games for Rochdale , has probably given us about 5 good performances LOL
He can go from Solid as a Rock to limp as a eunuchs cock in 5 seconds flat.
We are unfortunately stuck with the useless article. More worryingly RS brought in Sam Graham ( who isnt fit for league football) and Dorsett ( bloody hopeless) . We need to recruit in Jan or else we will suffer since Taylor shows glimpses of a decent defender then he must be listening to McNumpty in training , ......loses sight of ball and player.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024