Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next manager and reasons why... 17:17 - Aug 18 with 72647 viewsSheffield_dale

Shame it didn't work for Robbie. IMO he didn't get the team prepared for the season and unfortunately deserves to go. I can understand what he wanted to achieve with the formation but didn't coach them well enough/quick enough to put it into action. We would be too far adrift before things clicked into place.

So, who do we want next.

I'll throw in a suggestion.

Dave Artell.

Steadily built up a Crewe team on a low budget and got promoted.

Not perfect by any means but he would be within our budget and has decent L2 experience and success.

Next manager and reasons why... on 17:21 - Aug 18 with 21554 viewsblackdogblue

Ricky Tomlinson & Bradley Walsh.. 4-4 fooking 2 😀

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Next manager and reasons why... on 18:19 - Aug 18 with 21252 viewsChris1803

It's not easy to come up with a huge list of possible candidates is it?!

Being where we are in the season, the fact that the new manager will have someone else's newly built squad, and therefore presumably not much budget to get many of their own players in may make it a little bit more of a hard-sell than if we were a lot further into the season with more scope to shape the squad.

Mixed bag of names I could come up with (not saying they're all realistic mind!)...

Graham Alexander
Jim Bentley
David Artell
Mark Cooper
Nigel Adkins
Ian Holloway
Paul Tisdale
Chris Beech
Dean Keates
Tony Mowbray

I think it's definitely time for an experienced head, and a steady hand. Keep us up, look to reshape their squad over a year or two, then aim to kick on.
Rather than appointing someone looking for their first managerial role. Can't afford for this to be a risky looking appointment.

Edit:

An up and coming option from non-league, but again, I appreciate that may not be what's required for Dale at this time:

Luke Garrard at Boreham Wood - only 36 years old, but has earnt a lot of plaudits for the way he's had the side playing since taking over in 2015. A young manager, but with well over 300 games in management under his belt so far.

[Post edited 18 Aug 2022 18:35]
Next manager and reasons why... on 18:37 - Aug 18 with 21098 viewsdavidab2202

Next manager and reasons why... on 18:19 - Aug 18 by Chris1803

Being where we are in the season, the fact that the new manager will have someone else's newly built squad, and therefore presumably not much budget to get many of their own players in may make it a little bit more of a hard-sell than if we were a lot further into the season with more scope to shape the squad.

Mixed bag of names I could come up with (not saying they're all realistic mind!)...

Graham Alexander
Jim Bentley
David Artell
Mark Cooper
Nigel Adkins
Ian Holloway
Paul Tisdale
Chris Beech
Dean Keates
Tony Mowbray

I think it's definitely time for an experienced head, and a steady hand. Keep us up, look to reshape their squad over a year or two, then aim to kick on.
Rather than appointing someone looking for their first managerial role. Can't afford for this to be a risky looking appointment.

Edit:

An up and coming option from non-league, but again, I appreciate that may not be what's required for Dale at this time:

Luke Garrard at Boreham Wood - only 36 years old, but has earnt a lot of plaudits for the way he's had the side playing since taking over in 2015. A young manager, but with well over 300 games in management under his belt so far.

Out of that list I think it would be Tisdale for me
Next manager and reasons why... on 19:11 - Aug 18 with 20888 viewsscarrow

Next manager and reasons why... on 18:37 - Aug 18 by davidab2202

Out of that list I think it would be Tisdale for me

Christ no - he was an abject disaster at his last 2 clubs

Poll: Final position

Next manager and reasons why... on 19:50 - Aug 18 with 20690 viewsjonahwhereru

Next manager and reasons why... on 19:11 - Aug 18 by scarrow

Christ no - he was an abject disaster at his last 2 clubs

Absolutely right.

My question would be what sort of contact will be offered. A rolling one year contract would be my preference. Artell looks the standout option to me. But I know bugger all.
Next manager and reasons why... on 20:05 - Aug 18 with 20570 viewsDale92

I'm throwing out the name Roy Keane. Lives locally, would lift the club, managed above wants to manage again and hes talked about his willingness to move down the leagues if necessary. Hes known down at Salford for turning up. And wouldnt it be fun

This is the One, I've waited for

Next manager and reasons why... on 20:19 - Aug 18 with 20477 viewsFrog

Next manager and reasons why... on 20:05 - Aug 18 by Dale92

I'm throwing out the name Roy Keane. Lives locally, would lift the club, managed above wants to manage again and hes talked about his willingness to move down the leagues if necessary. Hes known down at Salford for turning up. And wouldnt it be fun

I would never want that tool near the club, absolute moron.
Next manager and reasons why... on 20:30 - Aug 18 with 20369 viewsrochedale

Graeme Alexander and Chris Lucketti.

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Login to get fewer ads

Next manager and reasons why... on 20:31 - Aug 18 with 20375 viewsTyroneShoelaces

Next manager and reasons why... on 18:19 - Aug 18 by Chris1803

Graham Alexander
Jim Bentley
David Artell
Mark Cooper
Nigel Adkins
Ian Holloway
Paul Tisdale
Chris Beech
Dean Keates
Tony Mowbray

Edit:

Non League manager might have been an option last year.
Pete Wild from Halifax might have been a better call but who knows.
Someone with FL experience for me this time round. Not quite the last
roll of the dice for FL status but getting there. I quite like the make up of the
orchestra, we just need a bloody good conductor and first violinist
Next manager and reasons why... on 20:34 - Aug 18 with 20345 viewsBrierls

Calling for the managers head is the easy bit (I completely agree with the decision), it’s not no easy to be enthused when you look at potential replacements.

From the names mentioned above…

Graham Alexander - would be my choice out of an uninspiring bunch, win % is better than I thought
Jim Bentley - wasn’t overly convinced by him at Morecambe or KFC, nice guy
David Artell - seen his name mentioned a few times, no idea why when his Crewe side were awful
Mark Cooper - not sure he’s been liked anywhere he’s been, turnaround after his left Barrow
Nigel Adkins - belongs in a football museum
Ian Holloway - entertaining but not sure he’s done well since Blackpool
Paul Tisdale - absolutely not, a disaster anywhere but Exeter
Chris Beech - only positive would be his song when winning
Dean Keates - failed to do a decent job with Wrexham
Tony Mowbray - would be top of this list but I don’t think it’s realistic
Next manager and reasons why... on 20:51 - Aug 18 with 20248 viewsJames1980

Just looked on a betting site Robbie Fowler is at 16/1 to be our next gaffer whereas Ian Holloway is 25/1

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Next manager and reasons why... on 21:16 - Aug 18 with 20125 viewsHullDale

Next manager and reasons why... on 21:27 - Aug 18 with 19990 views442Dale

Next manager and reasons why... on 21:16 - Aug 18 by HullDale

Must be in talks whilst also managing in European competition. Talented.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Next manager and reasons why... on 21:43 - Aug 18 with 19853 viewsBrierls

Next manager and reasons why... on 21:27 - Aug 18 by 442Dale

Must be in talks whilst also managing in European competition. Talented.

4th kit of green and white hoops incoming…
Next manager and reasons why... on 00:05 - Aug 19 with 19378 views49thseason

I wonder if it might interest Paul McShane? Local(ish,) knows the club, qualified. Huge experience.
Next manager and reasons why... on 00:26 - Aug 19 with 19321 viewsBrierls

Next manager and reasons why... on 00:05 - Aug 19 by 49thseason

I wonder if it might interest Paul McShane? Local(ish,) knows the club, qualified. Huge experience.

Robbie Stockdale is infinitely more experienced than Paul McShane as a coach.

McShane wouldn’t even get a mention if he wasn’t a former player, I don’t get the fascination with former (or current) players every time there’s a managerial change. Hilly was incredible, but has it ever worked outside of that?

If McShane was interviewing for the physios assistant, that would be a different story.
Next manager and reasons why... on 00:45 - Aug 19 with 19292 viewsShun

Next manager and reasons why... on 20:34 - Aug 18 by Brierls

Calling for the managers head is the easy bit (I completely agree with the decision), it’s not no easy to be enthused when you look at potential replacements.

From the names mentioned above…

Graham Alexander - would be my choice out of an uninspiring bunch, win % is better than I thought
Jim Bentley - wasn’t overly convinced by him at Morecambe or KFC, nice guy
David Artell - seen his name mentioned a few times, no idea why when his Crewe side were awful
Mark Cooper - not sure he’s been liked anywhere he’s been, turnaround after his left Barrow
Nigel Adkins - belongs in a football museum
Ian Holloway - entertaining but not sure he’s done well since Blackpool
Paul Tisdale - absolutely not, a disaster anywhere but Exeter
Chris Beech - only positive would be his song when winning
Dean Keates - failed to do a decent job with Wrexham
Tony Mowbray - would be top of this list but I don’t think it’s realistic

Re. Artell, his Crewe side was only awful in his final season, culminating in their relegation from League One. Before that he’d steadily built them up from a relegation contender out of League Two, to a promotion-winning one. Nothing flashy, just steady and continuous improvement, all while using youth products and working with a small budget.

In League One he had one good season before the team was stripped of its stars, the likes of Ng, Pickering and Kirk. He’s still highly regarded by most Crewe fans though.

For me, he and Alexander are top of the list so far.
Next manager and reasons why... on 01:06 - Aug 19 with 19227 viewsBrierls

Next manager and reasons why... on 00:45 - Aug 19 by Shun

Re. Artell, his Crewe side was only awful in his final season, culminating in their relegation from League One. Before that he’d steadily built them up from a relegation contender out of League Two, to a promotion-winning one. Nothing flashy, just steady and continuous improvement, all while using youth products and working with a small budget.

In League One he had one good season before the team was stripped of its stars, the likes of Ng, Pickering and Kirk. He’s still highly regarded by most Crewe fans though.

Aye, I’ve been Googling to find out a bit more about those mentioned so far.

Alexander & Artell look to be decent options, as does Askey if he could be tempted away from York. Mowbray feels unrealistic.

All of the above have experience. I think that’s key for where we are right now.
Next manager and reasons why... on 09:05 - Aug 19 with 18787 viewssamueloneils

Look up the playing careers of Graham Potter and Thomas Frank.

Who they?

Just the 2 managers of have beaten Man Utd this season.

Not exactly spectacular- see how many loan-outs GP had and how many non-league appearances.

TF started very low in Denmark but managed 3 promotions.

McNulty might make a good interim choice while the search is on. His view from the touchline could be very different from his playing style.
Next manager and reasons why... on 09:08 - Aug 19 with 18758 viewsJames1980

Put BB on the selection panel I say.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Next manager and reasons why... on 11:11 - Aug 19 with 18433 viewsCedar_Room

Amongst the list of managers in the betting odds (most of whom I’d imagine will never come anywhere near us, probably including this guy) a name that jumped out was Paul Lambert. I’d always rated him, he’s managed at this level before with Wycombe and Colchester, has tons of experience and has been out of work for 18 months so might be desperate to get back into management. Ultimately I’d imagine he’d want way more money than we could afford and would probably see his level as higher up than us but he’s the sort of appointment that would get me feeling hopeful.
Next manager and reasons why... on 11:42 - Aug 19 with 18259 viewsBrierls

Next manager and reasons why... on 11:11 - Aug 19 by Cedar_Room

Amongst the list of managers in the betting odds (most of whom I’d imagine will never come anywhere near us, probably including this guy) a name that jumped out was Paul Lambert. I’d always rated him, he’s managed at this level before with Wycombe and Colchester, has tons of experience and has been out of work for 18 months so might be desperate to get back into management. Ultimately I’d imagine he’d want way more money than we could afford and would probably see his level as higher up than us but he’s the sort of appointment that would get me feeling hopeful.

I'm not sure about his record in recent times, he was a bit of a disaster at Ipswich and Stoke. I suppose he'd be a name that gets a bit of attention.

I bet we haven't had a manager that's scored against the Faroe Islands before!
Next manager and reasons why... on 11:45 - Aug 19 with 18221 viewsSuddenLad

Steve O'Shaughnessy is a name you could throw in the hat. Former Dale player, has done a brilliant job with Airbus in the Welsh Premier league.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Next manager and reasons why... on 11:52 - Aug 19 with 18180 viewsThreeLions

Anybody that harks back to bloody Hill deserves a kick in the crown jewels. Move on!!!
Next manager and reasons why... on 11:56 - Aug 19 with 18112 viewsTomRAFC

Next manager and reasons why... on 00:45 - Aug 19 by Shun

Had a look around and I agree with you about Artell.

He was already working at Crewe when he got the job. He took them on as a project and did a good job building them up. Very similar to what Hill did in his first spell at Dale.

Obviously he won't have the inside knowledge he had when he took over at Crewe but he's definitely an interesting candidate.

Not that it's nice to think of it like this but he may well be a more affordable option compared to Alexander/Mowbray/Lambert.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024