Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RS and the board 19:04 - Aug 18 with 6632 viewssomdale

Got to get this off my chest.
I think the board have handled the RS situation terribly.
If they were going to sack him then surely end of last season was the time to do it.
Instead they gave him our Crown Jewels, they watched as he did the retain list and overlook the leaving of some of our better players who he would have rather kept, they watched as he worked tirelessly during close and pre season to get a new squad together, bringing in players which overall received good praise from the fans.
They watched as he had to wait till the pre season finished before he could fill the squad out with loaners, one who hasn't even played yet.
They watched as he worked hard to get a new squad to work together, showing glimpses of a good side, whilst showing frustrating lapses in concentration and missing many chances in front of goal.
They watched all this unfold and then after 5 yes just 5 games, including a very pleasing cup win, they sacked him.
Now we start again, only with a manager who doesn't know the players, who will have to instill his way of playing, maybe the players will be less suited to that style,it's a big gamble, and what happens if he loses his first 4 games??
RS and the board on 19:10 - Aug 18 with 5250 viewsMasher

To be fair Robbie didn't really instill his way of playing into the players over the 4 league games.
But i do think that the players he has brought in are far better than they have shown. Maybe an experienced manager can get them playing a bit without spending an arm and a leg.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2022 19:12]

Up The Dale!!

RS and the board on 19:10 - Aug 18 with 5247 viewsscarrow

1) O'Connell was never staying - Grant had a buy out clause - Corey was never staying - Dooley was offered a longer and better deal elsewhere

2) The fact that he new faces got praise is surely damning in itself

3) Those lapses in concentration have been evident for the last 50 games and show no sign of improving

4) Did you go to Gillingham or Stevenage - Two performances which were Steve Eyre esque in their ineptitude and an Eyre side might have even performed better and that's saying something

5) I bring you back to the good praise - an experienced manager should be able to work with the squad because there is experience etc

Poll: Final position

RS and the board on 19:16 - Aug 18 with 5167 viewsTrev

He wasn't sacked after five games, he was sacked after a full season + five games.
RS and the board on 19:21 - Aug 18 with 5101 viewsDalenet

RS and the board on 19:16 - Aug 18 by Trev

He wasn't sacked after five games, he was sacked after a full season + five games.

Indeed he was - and a decent pot of money spent to acquire new players.

The Board are the custodians of the club - they know we can't survive relegation into non-league. They need bums on seats and we need entertaining to achieve that. The Board had no choice but to act now before we did a Scunthorpe. Just sorry it didn't work out for Robbie
[Post edited 18 Aug 2022 19:28]
RS and the board on 19:23 - Aug 18 with 5069 viewssomdale

What were your expectations last season?Would have understood it a lot more if they had sacked him then.
They didn't they gave him all our money to spend on getting a new squad in
Had we drew with Crewe and beaten Grimsby like we should have done had the players done the basics right, and the win at Burton, he wouldn't be sacked yet he would be no better and no worse a manger.
RS and the board on 19:23 - Aug 18 with 5054 viewskel

RS and the board on 19:10 - Aug 18 by scarrow

1) O'Connell was never staying - Grant had a buy out clause - Corey was never staying - Dooley was offered a longer and better deal elsewhere

2) The fact that he new faces got praise is surely damning in itself

3) Those lapses in concentration have been evident for the last 50 games and show no sign of improving

4) Did you go to Gillingham or Stevenage - Two performances which were Steve Eyre esque in their ineptitude and an Eyre side might have even performed better and that's saying something

5) I bring you back to the good praise - an experienced manager should be able to work with the squad because there is experience etc

Good post and funny you should mention Steve Eyre actually…
RS and the board on 19:28 - Aug 18 with 4989 viewsleedsdale

RS and the board on 19:23 - Aug 18 by somdale

What were your expectations last season?Would have understood it a lot more if they had sacked him then.
Had we drew with Crewe and beaten Grimsby like we should have done had the players done the basics right, and the win at Burton, he wouldn't be sacked yet he would be no better and no worse a manger.

But as this is a results based business, he would be a better manager as we would have had 4 points.

It’s the right decision, ultimately. As many have said it is a shame as he had a tough job last season which he faces up to well. Sadly, the qualities needed just aren’t there so we need someone else in charge.
RS and the board on 19:46 - Aug 18 with 4868 viewssince58

If my auntie had balls she would have been my uncle
Fook off.
Login to get fewer ads

RS and the board on 19:56 - Aug 18 with 4774 viewssomdale

It's 2022 your auntie probably is your uncle 😂
RS and the board on 20:08 - Aug 18 with 4660 views442Dale

RS and the board on 19:21 - Aug 18 by Dalenet

Indeed he was - and a decent pot of money spent to acquire new players.

The Board are the custodians of the club - they know we can't survive relegation into non-league. They need bums on seats and we need entertaining to achieve that. The Board had no choice but to act now before we did a Scunthorpe. Just sorry it didn't work out for Robbie
[Post edited 18 Aug 2022 19:28]

Again, why can’t we survive relegation into non-league? Evidence was provided elsewhere that clubs do survive at that level. We would have to adapt and it would be difficult, but if the board think that, let’s hear them say so.

This is not a defeatist post or one where I think it’s ok to be relegated, but the extremes surrounding non-league football are without substance.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

RS and the board on 20:13 - Aug 18 with 4604 viewsD_Alien

Whilst you're entitled to your opinion, you post as though you have only a very tenuous understanding of how things have developed - or more accurately failed to develop - under Stockdale's tenure, and within the club more broadly

For instance, as recently as July, you've asked if Jack the Kitman is still the kitman. (Nowt wrong with not knowing, but it illustrates my point)

The board gave Stockdale a great chance and enough financial resources (in Dale terms) to fashion a team that was worth watching. It's been bloody dire, and the board will have reached the conclusion that it wasn't going to change. They've therefore acted responsibly, professionally, and in good faith - whilst having to drag the club from the point of being lost to outside chancers and not only steadying us financially but having secured the COA for future generations. The fans have played a huge part in that process too, both with their time, effort, intellect and their pockets, and if we don't deserve to watch a team that at least competes and tries to entertain we never will. Ultimately, we know how difficult it is to compete in the EFL and what qualities are required to do so. Stockdale has fallen short, so your opinion is simply wrong

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

RS and the board on 20:40 - Aug 18 with 4447 viewssomdale

They gave him the money after last season, if they didn't know after that what sort of manager they had, then that's poor by them, 5 games, one including a good win, seems a bit soon to jump to conclusions considering it is literally a new squad.
We have lost 4 league games all by the odd goal, hardly a side being outclassed and non competitive.
RS and the board on 20:44 - Aug 18 with 4422 views442Dale

RS and the board on 20:40 - Aug 18 by somdale

They gave him the money after last season, if they didn't know after that what sort of manager they had, then that's poor by them, 5 games, one including a good win, seems a bit soon to jump to conclusions considering it is literally a new squad.
We have lost 4 league games all by the odd goal, hardly a side being outclassed and non competitive.

Putting the board to one side for a moment, what about supporters who have offered nothing but respect and reasoned analysis coming to a similar conclusion that the manager seemed to have reached the end of his time with the club?

There’s certainly nothing knee jerk about this.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

RS and the board on 20:47 - Aug 18 with 4390 viewsJames1980

To add to the forbidden 'If' statements here is an analogy.
Imagine there was a new manager of a shop and they have been tasked with just breaking even for that year. This is against a backdrop of some false but rather scathing reviews online. Many of the best members of staff have left and many of the new staff he was able to recruit had limited experience and had to learn on the job. There were days when sales targets were exceeded, some when they were only just met and other days were the sales didn't meet the daily overheads. But the new manager and team perceived and come the end of the financial year not only did they breakeven they had a little bit of profit.
So along comes the next year and the board make a decision and decide to give this manager a chance to really make a go of getting the shop turning a decent profit. He has plenty of time to add new recruits to his team, unfortunately some of his best staff including a customer service team leader, a marketeer and a salesperson move on to bigger stores. But he brings in some experience and eager young talent hoping to prove themselves.
Unfortunately the four days the shop has been open so far on each day it has made a loss. On 2 of those days the staff have been below par and despite a more positive attitude after lunch the tills haven't rung enough to cover the cost of opening that day. One day their have been plenty of enquiries and just as one of the sales team think they are closing a sale, each potential customer says 'I am going to think about' and just as they are about to close for the day. A customer with only a day left to return an item they had bought comes in for a refund.
Now this shop is owned by the people in the town and number of them have not been at all happy, with the fact the shop has had zero takings so far and can't see where the next profitable day is coming from. Other shareholders are not as concerned and think the team will put their training into practice and the sales will start to flow.
It seems a little unfair in those circumstances not to have given the manager in question a few more days trading.

Be gentle when you pull this to pieces please

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

RS and the board on 20:50 - Aug 18 with 4362 viewsD_Alien

We've not been outclassed because we're talking about League Two - there's rarely any real class on show. We have been outfought, out-thought, and sides have known that the one goal would almost certainly be enough. In short, it's unacceptable and after watching Dale for more than half a century it's not difficult to discern when players are playing for the manager or taking the field with a weight on their backs

That weight is now lifted. It's not a cause for rejoicing, but simple realism
[Post edited 18 Aug 2022 20:51]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

RS and the board on 20:54 - Aug 18 with 4321 viewsRippDale

I think the opposite and feel the board have been decisive and acted swiftly before there was irreparable damage. Unlike Bottom who stuck with BBM until it was too late, the current board gave RS the chance to bring new players in and to change the style from the previous season. However, it was obvious the same glaring mistakes in management style and tactics remained and they acted swiftly.

Easy with hindsight but we missed out on Pete Wild in the summer and he had supposedly previously applied for the job when RS was appointed, so perhaps he should have gone at the end of last season
RS and the board on 21:46 - Aug 18 with 4082 views49thseason

RS and the board on 20:54 - Aug 18 by RippDale

I think the opposite and feel the board have been decisive and acted swiftly before there was irreparable damage. Unlike Bottom who stuck with BBM until it was too late, the current board gave RS the chance to bring new players in and to change the style from the previous season. However, it was obvious the same glaring mistakes in management style and tactics remained and they acted swiftly.

Easy with hindsight but we missed out on Pete Wild in the summer and he had supposedly previously applied for the job when RS was appointed, so perhaps he should have gone at the end of last season

I think they probably spoke to Stockdale yesterday and realised he wasn't for changing and consequently had a board meeting either last night or earlier today and decided to call time.
Not that wondering why, when or how makes any difference, the 64,000 dollar question is "what happens next"? Is there a plan? Do they have a replacement in mind, if not who is in charge on Saturday? would anyone actually want the job? there are a few days of the transfer window left, and a couple of loan places and of course, people not contracted at the moment, but is there any more money to put into a new managers plans?
RS and the board on 21:54 - Aug 18 with 4032 viewsBrierls

If we manage to find a manager who’s style suits the players less, we’ve appointed somebody from a different sport.

Your post smacks of somebody who hasn’t watched an awful lot of Dale games under Stockdale.

The only point I agree, with hindsight, Stockdale should have gone in the summer. We’d have probably appointed Pete Wild.
RS and the board on 22:21 - Aug 18 with 3875 viewsTyroneShoelaces

RS and the board on 21:54 - Aug 18 by Brierls

If we manage to find a manager who’s style suits the players less, we’ve appointed somebody from a different sport.

Your post smacks of somebody who hasn’t watched an awful lot of Dale games under Stockdale.

The only point I agree, with hindsight, Stockdale should have gone in the summer. We’d have probably appointed Pete Wild.

Lets take the next few games. After last Saturday id written off the next 2
That would have made us 5 and 0. Then Crawley was a must win game and then
Salford. So lets say 7 and 6. Thats still less than one point a game and a relegation
scrap was/is inevitable under Stockdale.
Nice guy as he seemed but niceness doesn’t win football matches
RS and the board on 22:51 - Aug 18 with 3685 viewsR17ALE

I've seen a lot of managers relieved of their duties. Normally I'm glad, but on this one I'm sad. Sad for RS and his reluctance to change things round. Tactically he is naive, but I'd happily go for a pint with him, if only to knock some sense into him.

However, the Board have definitely made the right call. But the benefit of this call can only be felt with a good follow up appointment.

I just hope we break with tradition and go for someone who isn't untried. Years ago there was a 4th division svengali called Ray Mathias who popped up everywhere to rescue NW clubs with some success. See also, John Rudge, Jonny King, and until they came here, Graham Barrow and Alan Buckley.

They're probably all dead now, but someone more modern (not too modern), and of that ilk would do me.

I'm not sure I want to see us re-appoint either. The choices are: Hill, Flitcroft and Parkin.

Wild card? Gareth Griffiths though I suspect he's earning more in business than we could pay him, and he's been out of the game for about 15 years.

The Board will get nearly 100 applicants. It's their job to be football savvy, and not get hoodwinked by a smooth talker.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

RS and the board on 23:13 - Aug 18 with 3550 viewsTVOS1907

RS and the board on 22:51 - Aug 18 by R17ALE

I've seen a lot of managers relieved of their duties. Normally I'm glad, but on this one I'm sad. Sad for RS and his reluctance to change things round. Tactically he is naive, but I'd happily go for a pint with him, if only to knock some sense into him.

However, the Board have definitely made the right call. But the benefit of this call can only be felt with a good follow up appointment.

I just hope we break with tradition and go for someone who isn't untried. Years ago there was a 4th division svengali called Ray Mathias who popped up everywhere to rescue NW clubs with some success. See also, John Rudge, Jonny King, and until they came here, Graham Barrow and Alan Buckley.

They're probably all dead now, but someone more modern (not too modern), and of that ilk would do me.

I'm not sure I want to see us re-appoint either. The choices are: Hill, Flitcroft and Parkin.

Wild card? Gareth Griffiths though I suspect he's earning more in business than we could pay him, and he's been out of the game for about 15 years.

The Board will get nearly 100 applicants. It's their job to be football savvy, and not get hoodwinked by a smooth talker.

More chance of appointing Mr Griffiths from Grange Hill!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

RS and the board on 23:14 - Aug 18 with 3540 viewsR17ALE

RS and the board on 23:13 - Aug 18 by TVOS1907

More chance of appointing Mr Griffiths from Grange Hill!

As caretaker?

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

RS and the board on 23:19 - Aug 18 with 3515 viewsTVOS1907

RS and the board on 23:14 - Aug 18 by R17ALE

As caretaker?

If we don't pick up points soon, we'll need Terry Griffiths!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

RS and the board on 00:14 - Aug 19 with 3371 viewsmikehunt

I was at Stevenage. I expected some kind of reaction to the disappointment of the Grimsby game. Instead we got a pedestrian performance by players that either didn’t know what to do or didn’t care. If the manager couldn’t lift the team or change tactics (whatever they might have been) then he showed he didn’t have the ability to compete in this league.
So, rather than stumble on in some kind of blind hope that things would click, the board had to make a decision. I think the correct one.
Sorry Robbie, I think you recruited reasonably well, you just couldn’t seem to motivate them.
Scary times ahead.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

RS and the board on 02:53 - Aug 19 with 3245 viewsEllGazzell

RS and the board on 20:47 - Aug 18 by James1980

To add to the forbidden 'If' statements here is an analogy.
Imagine there was a new manager of a shop and they have been tasked with just breaking even for that year. This is against a backdrop of some false but rather scathing reviews online. Many of the best members of staff have left and many of the new staff he was able to recruit had limited experience and had to learn on the job. There were days when sales targets were exceeded, some when they were only just met and other days were the sales didn't meet the daily overheads. But the new manager and team perceived and come the end of the financial year not only did they breakeven they had a little bit of profit.
So along comes the next year and the board make a decision and decide to give this manager a chance to really make a go of getting the shop turning a decent profit. He has plenty of time to add new recruits to his team, unfortunately some of his best staff including a customer service team leader, a marketeer and a salesperson move on to bigger stores. But he brings in some experience and eager young talent hoping to prove themselves.
Unfortunately the four days the shop has been open so far on each day it has made a loss. On 2 of those days the staff have been below par and despite a more positive attitude after lunch the tills haven't rung enough to cover the cost of opening that day. One day their have been plenty of enquiries and just as one of the sales team think they are closing a sale, each potential customer says 'I am going to think about' and just as they are about to close for the day. A customer with only a day left to return an item they had bought comes in for a refund.
Now this shop is owned by the people in the town and number of them have not been at all happy, with the fact the shop has had zero takings so far and can't see where the next profitable day is coming from. Other shareholders are not as concerned and think the team will put their training into practice and the sales will start to flow.
It seems a little unfair in those circumstances not to have given the manager in question a few more days trading.

Be gentle when you pull this to pieces please

Eyup Tazzy, where have you been hiding?

Poll: If possible tomorrow, which model do you choose for Dale?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024