Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fans Forum 19:02 - Jul 18 with 35610 viewsJames1980

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2023/july/fansforum_august2023/

3rd August 7pm for 7:30pm

This seems to have slipped under the message board radar

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Fans Forum on 22:26 - Jul 18 with 14993 viewsJames1980

Something I said?

Fans Forum on 22:31 - Jul 18 with 14986 viewsmikehunt

Are you going?

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Fans Forum on 22:40 - Jul 18 with 14975 viewsJames1980

Fans Forum on 22:31 - Jul 18 by mikehunt

Are you going?

It coincides with my weeks rostered leave so I may well do.

Fans Forum on 22:46 - Jul 18 with 14965 viewsmikehunt

Time to prepare your speech šŸ˜€

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Fans Forum on 22:56 - Jul 18 with 14930 viewsTVOS1907

Fans Forum on 22:26 - Jul 18 by James1980

Something I said?

If nobody replies, James, it might be because either the topic doesn't interest them or they haven't been on the messageboard as regularly since it's still pre-season or the post has slipped down the board, which means it might get missed.

No other reason.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Fans Forum on 22:57 - Jul 18 with 14940 viewsJames1980

Fans Forum on 22:46 - Jul 18 by mikehunt

Time to prepare your speech šŸ˜€

Oh I'm the archetypal hide behind an online handle type

Fans Forum on 23:25 - Jul 18 with 14905 viewsJames1980

Fans Forum on 22:56 - Jul 18 by TVOS1907

If nobody replies, James, it might be because either the topic doesn't interest them or they haven't been on the messageboard as regularly since it's still pre-season or the post has slipped down the board, which means it might get missed.

No other reason.

Fair dos. Just the whole criticism of info coming out of the club are I'm surprised at the lack of response to the announcement of a fans forum.

Fans Forum on 08:20 - Jul 19 with 14777 viewsChaffRAFC

The forum was actually announced by the Trust and the club a few weeks back in the article about the fan engagement meetings:

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2023/june/supporterstrustmeetings_june23/

The new story is pretty much just a change of date.

I worry about the date change as it's two days before the season starts and it feels like there will be a fair amount of negativity towards the board which, whether just or unjust, won't bring in the excitement of a new season.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Login to get fewer ads

Fans Forum on 10:18 - Jul 19 with 14649 viewsJames1980

Fans Forum on 08:20 - Jul 19 by ChaffRAFC

The forum was actually announced by the Trust and the club a few weeks back in the article about the fan engagement meetings:

I worry about the date change as it's two days before the season starts and it feels like there will be a fair amount of negativity towards the board which, whether just or unjust, won't bring in the excitement of a new season.

So really the title of the article I posted a link for should be 'Fans Forum date changed. Be good if they had put an explanation for the date change.

Fans Forum on 10:27 - Jul 19 with 14636 viewsjudd

I sincerely hope the questioning format changes so that the room is no longer swept and controlled as in previous years.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Fans Forum on 11:06 - Jul 19 with 14562 viewsSandyman

I wonder if the megamouths on Facebook and Twitter, who are hyper-critical of everything at the club, will turn up and have the balls to ask a question in person rather than hiding behind a keyboard / mobile phone?

History suggests they are too cowardly to express their concerns face to face.
Fans Forum on 11:20 - Jul 19 with 14535 views49thseason

Q1. What are the management accounts showing in terms of your efforts to cut weekly losses of Ā£30 k?
Q2. What steps have been taken to increase income from other sources other than from the 2000 regular supporters or selling players?
Q3. How high are your expectations of attracting an investor in percentage terms?
Q4. Will the club be re-starting the Gold Bond lottery in November per their earlier announcement that they would not be renewing the current contract.
Fans Forum on 06:09 - Jul 20 with 14130 viewsTalkingSutty

Fans Forum on 08:20 - Jul 19 by ChaffRAFC

The real worry is that things just continue as they are with the majority of the fan base staying quiet rather than voicing their concerns. That's what will happen at the fans forum. There'll be talks about having meetings about meetings and deadlines and action plans and confidentiality and blaming of historic misdemeanours. Nearly everybody i speak to has concerns regarding the club and the Chairman but very few voice them openly and they also have concerns that so many good staff are leaving, that's another hot potato and its not just down to finances. How many desenting voices will we hear at the forum? In my experience of attending them very few and the ones that do are viewed as rabble rousers and trouble causers by the majority of those in attendance.

The bigger picture than the forum is the future of the club, it's more important than what happens on the pitch and all we ever hear is that they are in talk with potential investors, are they really or are they just kicking the can down the road? The Supporters Trust should know the answer because they should also be involved as the major shareholder and representative of over 1000 supporters.They should be front and centre and if not then maybe Simon Gauge can tell us why not, and i dont just mean paid lip service by keeping the Trust Director updated, that's not good enough. Perhaps the Trust Director can give us a indication as to whether he is included in the meetings with the potential investors, i'm assuming that he is. Maybe that's a question that can be asked of the Chairman on the night, he probably won't be able to comment either way though is my guess when it comes to the reply.

The club will continue to stagger on with no clear plan, direction and leadership before we see a sudden announcement that the game is up and we can't continue, i think thats the direction we are heading. Look at the state of the club, hundreds of fans have walked away, staff have walked away and there is absolutely no clear plan as how to drive the club forward and get it back up and running. Simon Gauge and the Directors produced a masterplan when they took over which they went public with. It spoke of how they would have all aspects of the club firing on all cylinders, each Director responsible for different aspects of the club, monthly meetings with aims and objectives, fully engaging with the Town to make it a community club. It hasn't happened, we now have a shell of a club and it's sunk like a stone into non league. We have regressed so quickly that we now view ourselves as the bottom feeders of the National League, clubs like Altrincham, Gateshead, Solihull Moors and Halifax etc have more pulling power and more ambition. The majority of fans that are left just put up with it all and keep quiet, thankful that we have a club, and that's the ambition summed up in a nutshell.

I wouldn't worry about the forum though and people asking bad mood questions before Saturdays game, the forum will be fine and the ones that would have properly voiced their concerns have probably either walked away from the club or can't be bothered doing so anymore. As fans i think we currently have the club that we deserve because we'll put up with anything and are too passive compared to every other fan base that i see. Challenging those who are responsible for running the club is seen as a act of treason, either keep quiet and accept things or join the board of Directors yourself. That's how far the club and some fans have deteriorated, either step up or shut up and accept what's served up. The McNulty interview the other evening summed this club up for me, sent out to bat on his own without any protection, a club and a boardroom in disarray, not even prepared for the start of the new season. No questions asked though, just an acceptance. It's sad to see what's happened to the club
Fans Forum on 06:25 - Jul 20 with 14115 viewspioneer

Fans Forum on 06:09 - Jul 20 by TalkingSutty

The real worry is that things just continue as they are with the majority of the fan base staying quiet rather than voicing their concerns. That's what will happen at the fans forum. There'll be talks about having meetings about meetings and deadlines and action plans and confidentiality and blaming of historic misdemeanours. Nearly everybody i speak to has concerns regarding the club and the Chairman but very few voice them openly and they also have concerns that so many good staff are leaving, that's another hot potato and its not just down to finances. How many desenting voices will we hear at the forum? In my experience of attending them very few and the ones that do are viewed as rabble rousers and trouble causers by the majority of those in attendance.

The bigger picture than the forum is the future of the club, it's more important than what happens on the pitch and all we ever hear is that they are in talk with potential investors, are they really or are they just kicking the can down the road? The Supporters Trust should know the answer because they should also be involved as the major shareholder and representative of over 1000 supporters.They should be front and centre and if not then maybe Simon Gauge can tell us why not, and i dont just mean paid lip service by keeping the Trust Director updated, that's not good enough. Perhaps the Trust Director can give us a indication as to whether he is included in the meetings with the potential investors, i'm assuming that he is. Maybe that's a question that can be asked of the Chairman on the night, he probably won't be able to comment either way though is my guess when it comes to the reply.

The club will continue to stagger on with no clear plan, direction and leadership before we see a sudden announcement that the game is up and we can't continue, i think thats the direction we are heading. Look at the state of the club, hundreds of fans have walked away, staff have walked away and there is absolutely no clear plan as how to drive the club forward and get it back up and running. Simon Gauge and the Directors produced a masterplan when they took over which they went public with. It spoke of how they would have all aspects of the club firing on all cylinders, each Director responsible for different aspects of the club, monthly meetings with aims and objectives, fully engaging with the Town to make it a community club. It hasn't happened, we now have a shell of a club and it's sunk like a stone into non league. We have regressed so quickly that we now view ourselves as the bottom feeders of the National League, clubs like Altrincham, Gateshead, Solihull Moors and Halifax etc have more pulling power and more ambition. The majority of fans that are left just put up with it all and keep quiet, thankful that we have a club, and that's the ambition summed up in a nutshell.

I wouldn't worry about the forum though and people asking bad mood questions before Saturdays game, the forum will be fine and the ones that would have properly voiced their concerns have probably either walked away from the club or can't be bothered doing so anymore. As fans i think we currently have the club that we deserve because we'll put up with anything and are too passive compared to every other fan base that i see. Challenging those who are responsible for running the club is seen as a act of treason, either keep quiet and accept things or join the board of Directors yourself. That's how far the club and some fans have deteriorated, either step up or shut up and accept what's served up. The McNulty interview the other evening summed this club up for me, sent out to bat on his own without any protection, a club and a boardroom in disarray, not even prepared for the start of the new season. No questions asked though, just an acceptance. It's sad to see what's happened to the club

You raise many valid questions and your main answer appears to be removing the chairman and (some of ) the board.

I think we need to recognise there is not a queue of people eagerly anticipating replacing themā€¦.that I think is the main problem.

There is a suggestion that there might be a potential investor kicking the tyres at the moment, but we know nothing about them or the level of investment involved.

My sense is that the current chairman and his fellow board members are as eager to see a change as you are. They might be expecting too much for their shares which appear to be currently worth nothing. But if they up and left tomorrow we would be in a very big hole.

So what do you suggest? Who do we replace them with.?
Fans Forum on 07:14 - Jul 20 with 14086 viewsTalkingSutty

Fans Forum on 06:25 - Jul 20 by pioneer

You raise many valid questions and your main answer appears to be removing the chairman and (some of ) the board.

I think we need to recognise there is not a queue of people eagerly anticipating replacing themā€¦.that I think is the main problem.

There is a suggestion that there might be a potential investor kicking the tyres at the moment, but we know nothing about them or the level of investment involved.

My sense is that the current chairman and his fellow board members are as eager to see a change as you are. They might be expecting too much for their shares which appear to be currently worth nothing. But if they up and left tomorrow we would be in a very big hole.

Well I would have replaced the current Chairman with Chris Dunphy and allowed him to bring in some of his associates. I nailed my flag to the mast with that one from the start and was disappointed it didn't happen, I still am. They didn't need to purchase the Chairman's and Directors shares to do that did they, or is this the criteria that they are setting when it comes to bringing people in? If that's the case then what about everybody elses shares, they are just as important. Anyway, they weren't even given the courtesy of a welcome and received a hostile reception straight away. Even striking a deal to work together would have benefitted the club but Simon Gauge wouldn't even engage. The expertise that Dunphy and his associates had would have generated millions of pounds for the club and they would have had it up and running in quick time. I believe that's what their investment would have proved to be. So that's my answer to that, i appreciate others have a different view but it could have happened had there been the appetite. I now fear that we will look back on that as a missed opportunity to save the club, obviously i hope that's not the case.

Would the club have been worse off with the fans running the club and starting off at the bottom as a proper fan owned and fan run club? I think it would be preferable to how it is being run now and the atmosphere we currently have around the club . Could one of the current Directors do a better job than Gauge, I'd suggest they couldn't do much worse and would have better business credentials. Definitely better communication skills. I'm not sure the Chairman is eager to leave, I can see him staying.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2023 7:36]
Fans Forum on 07:24 - Jul 20 with 14066 viewsRodingdale

But there is an alternative. Gauge could change his approach and actually start to engage with the problems we face. Talking Suttys conversation with Gauge before a game last season said it all to me. Gauge believes he knows best. Now Rochdale is a quirky place, not much like Hertfordshire where SG is from. I think he did get into this with the best intentions but heā€™s way out his depth, RAFC is much more than being chairman of just another company. Ratcliffe and Dunphy were both from the area - understood the town. Gauge just isnā€™t going to get it, so he does have choice, he can start to listen to people who do understand the town and the club in that context. I completely agree with TSā€™s analysis of where we are, but I want the chairman to change his approach not change the chairman.
Fans Forum on 07:40 - Jul 20 with 14046 viewsTalkingSutty

Fans Forum on 07:24 - Jul 20 by Rodingdale

But there is an alternative. Gauge could change his approach and actually start to engage with the problems we face. Talking Suttys conversation with Gauge before a game last season said it all to me. Gauge believes he knows best. Now Rochdale is a quirky place, not much like Hertfordshire where SG is from. I think he did get into this with the best intentions but heā€™s way out his depth, RAFC is much more than being chairman of just another company. Ratcliffe and Dunphy were both from the area - understood the town. Gauge just isnā€™t going to get it, so he does have choice, he can start to listen to people who do understand the town and the club in that context. I completely agree with TSā€™s analysis of where we are, but I want the chairman to change his approach not change the chairman.

He can't change his approach, his personality tells you that unfortunately. The fact that he wouldn't even engage with our most successful Chairman ever at a time of crisis for the club also tells you that. He knows best.

Simon Gauge also obviously has a lot of good qualities and the money he has stumped up to save the club is a wonderful gesture and can never be forgotten but none of this means he is the right man to run the football club. He is probably a really good fella but it means nothing if the man is out of his depth. Is recouping the outlay on their shares now the priority over everything else? I think it is.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2023 8:13]
Fans Forum on 07:49 - Jul 20 with 14023 views442Dale

Where is there ā€œa suggestion that there might be a potential investor kicking the tyres at the momentā€?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Fans Forum on 07:57 - Jul 20 with 14004 viewsTalkingSutty

Fans Forum on 07:49 - Jul 20 by 442Dale

Where is there ā€œa suggestion that there might be a potential investor kicking the tyres at the momentā€?

Kicking cans, not tyres, i would suggest.
Fans Forum on 10:42 - Jul 20 with 13821 views49thseason

I think the Board probably need to appoint a General Manager, someone capable of overseeing the day to day running of the club and making the Boards job to take care of the finances and overall direction.
As supporters we see the day to day problems, the hive mind knows and remembers everything and the fact that the Board dont know what we know bothers us. But, Directors have to deal with a changing big picture, mainly on a part time basis. A savvy General Manager would be an unchanging constant at the club who would paint the detail of the picture that the Board envisages.
Fans Forum on 11:02 - Jul 20 with 13788 viewsD_Alien

Fans Forum on 07:40 - Jul 20 by TalkingSutty

He can't change his approach, his personality tells you that unfortunately. The fact that he wouldn't even engage with our most successful Chairman ever at a time of crisis for the club also tells you that. He knows best.

Simon Gauge also obviously has a lot of good qualities and the money he has stumped up to save the club is a wonderful gesture and can never be forgotten but none of this means he is the right man to run the football club. He is probably a really good fella but it means nothing if the man is out of his depth. Is recouping the outlay on their shares now the priority over everything else? I think it is.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2023 8:13]

Add to that, a member of the board (at the time) was sent out to discredit Dunphy on social media rather than actively engage in a form of negotiation which could (and probably should) have yielded a positive result, if all parties had had the best interests of Dale at heart

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Fans Forum on 11:28 - Jul 20 with 13734 viewsTalkingSutty

Fans Forum on 11:02 - Jul 20 by D_Alien

Add to that, a member of the board (at the time) was sent out to discredit Dunphy on social media rather than actively engage in a form of negotiation which could (and probably should) have yielded a positive result, if all parties had had the best interests of Dale at heart

Yes, that was a disgrace and a poor reflection on the rest of those in the Boardroom. Trashing a ex Chairman who many supporters hold in high regard.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2023 12:04]
Fans Forum on 11:34 - Jul 20 with 13711 viewsD_Alien

Fans Forum on 11:28 - Jul 20 by TalkingSutty

Yes, that was a disgrace and a poor reflection on the rest of those in the Boardroom. Trashing a ex Chairman who many supporters hold in high regard.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2023 12:04]

And before anyone steps in with the "Dunphy was out of order / Dunphy hadn't done his homework" lines - ask yourselves this:

Would any of the other potential investors the club has been talking to have that kind of public rebuke made against them?

Fans Forum on 13:29 - Jul 20 with 13543 views49thseason

The case for bringing Dunphy back was holed below the waterline when he walked away and sold his shares to the Americans. He was fortunate not to be around when the club was closed to fans for 18 months Ć²r more whilst still paying wages or getting government loans to do so which have to be repaid at some point.

There was nothing stopping him from buying a lot of shares, except when he found out how much would be required to put himself and his associates into the Boardroom, they apparently couldnt afford it. Equally you cant just walk into a directorship, it lies in the discretion of the existing board members or an AGM has to vote directors off the Board to create a vacancy and then fill it with someone who owns or is prepared to buy Ā£25k worth of shares.

I think the Dunphy ship has sailed and his supporters need to move on and either find an alternative to sit on the board by creating a vacancy or find some alternative ways to help and support the current incumbent Directors. Perhaps if someone knows Dunphy well, they could sit down with him and ask what he would do differently and what he thinks the current Board is doing wrong. Does he even still go to games? Has he bought a SC?
Fans Forum on 13:53 - Jul 20 with 13482 viewsD_Alien

Fans Forum on 13:29 - Jul 20 by 49thseason

The case for bringing Dunphy back was holed below the waterline when he walked away and sold his shares to the Americans. He was fortunate not to be around when the club was closed to fans for 18 months Ć²r more whilst still paying wages or getting government loans to do so which have to be repaid at some point.

There was nothing stopping him from buying a lot of shares, except when he found out how much would be required to put himself and his associates into the Boardroom, they apparently couldnt afford it. Equally you cant just walk into a directorship, it lies in the discretion of the existing board members or an AGM has to vote directors off the Board to create a vacancy and then fill it with someone who owns or is prepared to buy Ā£25k worth of shares.

I think the Dunphy ship has sailed and his supporters need to move on and either find an alternative to sit on the board by creating a vacancy or find some alternative ways to help and support the current incumbent Directors. Perhaps if someone knows Dunphy well, they could sit down with him and ask what he would do differently and what he thinks the current Board is doing wrong. Does he even still go to games? Has he bought a SC?

Missing the point entirely

This was about how a prospective investor was publicly treated - think about that a bit more. Would any prospective investor who might've been considering getting involved around that time have thought better of it if they'd read what was being put out there?

NDAs, anyone?

FWIW, i've certainly moved on from Dunphy - although not indefinitely, but his business with this current board is done

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024