Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Halifax Town (H) Match Thread 17:16 - Aug 31 with 18386 viewsHullDale

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 17:49 - Sep 2 with 3617 viewsfrenzied

Its disappointing for sure.

But its all part of the learning curve for BJ.

Another 4 or 5 games and i think you will see a difference in the way we set up for games..

Sept is a tough month esp at home.
Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 17:50 - Sep 2 with 3612 viewsisitme

All credit to Halifax. They started quickly and it looked a matter of time before they scored, which they did after Jimmy had his pocket picked. We then woke up a bit but couldn't break them down. In the second half they were compact, disciplined and kept their shape well. Probably our best chance was Sinclair's square ball which would have been a tap in if Mitchell had gambled.

Ultimately we did not pass the ball quick enough or with enough accuracy and there is no pace down the middle to hit it longer. Without Rodney and Jez we lacked options to change it.

I agree with other that even giving one of the younger forwards a go on the bench would have been better than in effect a back four an McDermott on the bench.
Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 17:55 - Sep 2 with 3538 views442Dale

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 17:35 - Sep 2 by RAFCBLUE

The poor home form continues.

P4 W1 D1 L2 and with only 4 conceded that’s been enough for 3 away sides to take 7 points away from Spotland.

It’s a persistent and consistent Achilles heel. Teams know if they score first they can shut up and three out of four have come, scored first and we really struggle against it.

Except they didn’t shut up. Nor did we struggle against Bromley, it was our defensive deficiencies that cost us as we pushed for a third.

Halifax had a game plan to ensure we played through the centre of the pitcn and played well, happy to push players forward after winning the ball centrally and make us defend. We should have swapped the wide players to stretch them. A simple tactical decision that could have opened up the game.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2023 18:01]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 17:55 - Sep 2 with 3541 viewsJames1980

Of course one game is proof we must sack McNulty for the footballing equivalent of the drill sergeant from full metal jacket and play route one hoof ball.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 18:00 - Sep 2 with 3504 viewsDaleFan7

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 17:55 - Sep 2 by James1980

Of course one game is proof we must sack McNulty for the footballing equivalent of the drill sergeant from full metal jacket and play route one hoof ball.

Not sure anyone has said or implied that. His tactical naivety showed today there's no getting away from that.

We were found out and he didn't change anything. If he's to take the plaudits for getting things right which he rightly has so far. He's got to take the criticism when it's deserved. Which today it was.
Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 18:13 - Sep 2 with 3414 viewsJames1980

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 18:00 - Sep 2 by DaleFan7

Not sure anyone has said or implied that. His tactical naivety showed today there's no getting away from that.

We were found out and he didn't change anything. If he's to take the plaudits for getting things right which he rightly has so far. He's got to take the criticism when it's deserved. Which today it was.

As long as those that criticise have also praised when justified.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 18:37 - Sep 2 with 3255 viewsRAFCBLUE

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 18:13 - Sep 2 by James1980

As long as those that criticise have also praised when justified.

He’s definitely got the away games right so far. Apart from the second half at Woking we’ve been good value and should have full points from the away fixtures. 6 from 9 doesn’t reflect how well we have played away from home.

However, it’s the home games that need the same attention. It’s not defined to McNulty as BBM, Stockdale and Bentley all had dismal home records and two relegations in three years.

But it does need solving.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 18:49 - Sep 2 with 3169 views442Dale

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 18:37 - Sep 2 by RAFCBLUE

He’s definitely got the away games right so far. Apart from the second half at Woking we’ve been good value and should have full points from the away fixtures. 6 from 9 doesn’t reflect how well we have played away from home.

However, it’s the home games that need the same attention. It’s not defined to McNulty as BBM, Stockdale and Bentley all had dismal home records and two relegations in three years.

But it does need solving.

And two games out of four we solved it. There’s a danger that the mistakes of the past will tar the present reality.

Login to get fewer ads

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 19:05 - Sep 2 with 3090 viewsNorthernDale

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 17:25 - Sep 2 by Dalenet

For a club that has no money, we don't half scord own goals. A good uplift in new fans today and few of them will be back in two weeks time. Thats £10k at least down the pan.

After a shocking first half it needed a real fight. There was none. BJ looked clueless today.

I have to agree, there was a buzz at the start of the game and to give Halifax the credit they deserve, they were organised and were also prepared to attack with pace. I have said it before, we play over the 50's walking football and it is frustrating to watch at times, why did it take Halifax time and time again, six passes to get from their half to our penalty, but it takes us that many just to get to the half way line. Henderson was constantly asking for the ball to be played for him to run on to, but instead they passed it sideways or in triangles, rather to Hendo, which caused no issues for their defence and they seemed comfortable with the Dale passing sideways and backwards.

We have a decent starting 11 and it will be even better Rodney and Uchegbulam returns to the squad, but Jim needs to realise or wake up to the fact, that his total options football is costing us points. I am not suggesting the return to the long ball, but you can play the passing game with pace to open the oppositions defence, but when you constantly play sideways and backwards you are playing into the hands of the opposition. Sadly no matter how much you like Jim, I feel that he cannot change his style of total football, which is a weakness that he needs to address, if he can do so.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2023 19:07]
Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 19:06 - Sep 2 with 3082 viewsDickydaler

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 17:50 - Sep 2 by isitme

All credit to Halifax. They started quickly and it looked a matter of time before they scored, which they did after Jimmy had his pocket picked. We then woke up a bit but couldn't break them down. In the second half they were compact, disciplined and kept their shape well. Probably our best chance was Sinclair's square ball which would have been a tap in if Mitchell had gambled.

Ultimately we did not pass the ball quick enough or with enough accuracy and there is no pace down the middle to hit it longer. Without Rodney and Jez we lacked options to change it.

I agree with other that even giving one of the younger forwards a go on the bench would have been better than in effect a back four an McDermott on the bench.

Agreed, credit to Halifax, they were the better team over 90 minutes. Right from the start they nullified our build up passing and we struggled in the first half and we were lucky to go in only one down at had time. If one of the three chances had gone in early in the second half the game might have had a different outcome but overall Halifax deserved their win.
Even though Gilmour was getting some slating from the Halifax fans I thought he was pretty good.
With our style of play I can see us winning more than we lose. Let's not forget we're quite a new team. I'm not disheartened over this result and am more than pleased with our present position.
One thing that does worry me is not a keeper on the bench. With only being allowed so few on the bench in this league I understand why, but it is a risk. I wonder who would be chosen to go between the sticks if Moulden did get sent off or was injured?
Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 19:11 - Sep 2 with 3056 viewsRAFCBLUE

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 18:49 - Sep 2 by 442Dale

And two games out of four we solved it. There’s a danger that the mistakes of the past will tar the present reality.

The better Dale teams of yesteryear rarely had to solve problems in home games as we were largely on the front foot. Something that Keith Hill installed as “normal” but Parkin and Hollins were also managers who changed the tide.

We’ve lost our way on home form since the then Board sacked Hill and then the impact of Covid.

The September run of home games is a good way to put that right and I think we will give all those teams a good game. 10 points or more in September will be a great return and hopefully 9 of those from home games.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2023 19:12]

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 19:12 - Sep 2 with 3045 views442Dale

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 19:06 - Sep 2 by Dickydaler

Agreed, credit to Halifax, they were the better team over 90 minutes. Right from the start they nullified our build up passing and we struggled in the first half and we were lucky to go in only one down at had time. If one of the three chances had gone in early in the second half the game might have had a different outcome but overall Halifax deserved their win.
Even though Gilmour was getting some slating from the Halifax fans I thought he was pretty good.
With our style of play I can see us winning more than we lose. Let's not forget we're quite a new team. I'm not disheartened over this result and am more than pleased with our present position.
One thing that does worry me is not a keeper on the bench. With only being allowed so few on the bench in this league I understand why, but it is a risk. I wonder who would be chosen to go between the sticks if Moulden did get sent off or was injured?

Agreed on Gilmour. He played well, in fact nobody was rubbish, more we didn’t change it up to give them something to think about.

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 19:21 - Sep 2 with 2976 viewsBarrowdale

Nobody was rubbish????
Try Mitchell and Saj for starters
Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 19:27 - Sep 2 with 2918 viewsDickydaler

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 19:21 - Sep 2 by Barrowdale

Nobody was rubbish????
Try Mitchell and Saj for starters

I agree, nobody was rubbish. Mitchell struggled in the first half but was more involved in the second. He's still young and learning. He'll have better games, but he wasn't rubbish.
Jim made a bad mistake leading up to their goal and was up against a very tricky winger, but he wasn't rubbish.
Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 19:31 - Sep 2 with 2891 views442Dale

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 19:11 - Sep 2 by RAFCBLUE

The better Dale teams of yesteryear rarely had to solve problems in home games as we were largely on the front foot. Something that Keith Hill installed as “normal” but Parkin and Hollins were also managers who changed the tide.

We’ve lost our way on home form since the then Board sacked Hill and then the impact of Covid.

The September run of home games is a good way to put that right and I think we will give all those teams a good game. 10 points or more in September will be a great return and hopefully 9 of those from home games.

Facts are for 50% of the home games this season we’ve dominated games and also looked like winning comfortably. That we didn’t win one of this was because we actually became a bit too open when the game was won at 2-1.

None of this is relatable to the past. Spectacular shoehorning of the previous board noted once more.

We can only control the here and now. Anyone who knows football can see what could have led to a better result today, full backing to the manager to recognise that as well going forward.

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 19:53 - Sep 2 with 2775 viewsRAFCBLUE

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 19:31 - Sep 2 by 442Dale

Facts are for 50% of the home games this season we’ve dominated games and also looked like winning comfortably. That we didn’t win one of this was because we actually became a bit too open when the game was won at 2-1.

None of this is relatable to the past. Spectacular shoehorning of the previous board noted once more.

We can only control the here and now. Anyone who knows football can see what could have led to a better result today, full backing to the manager to recognise that as well going forward.

“Facts are for 50% of the home games this season we’ve dominated games and also looked like winning comfortably.”

Which means in 50% we haven’t!

The opposition so far:
Ebbsfleet: National League South Winners last season
Bromley: 7th in National League last season
Eastleigh: 9th in National League last season
Halifax: 11th in National League last season.

We lost because we didn’t have a plan B today and they scored first.

And then an attempt to have a think of a Plan B in the half time break didn’t materialise. Credit to Halifax for watching all of our games so far and working out how to kill our game plan. I thought they managed the game really well.

The next three home games are the proper tests as Barnet, Chesterfield and Southend are all of a standard that will be in the top half of this league.

Barnet/Chesterfield look to be the title contenders based on the early form.

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 20:01 - Sep 2 with 2736 viewsEllDale

I think we’re now beginning to grasp the standards in the league.
We’re good enough to beat the Eastleighs, Oxford City’s and Yorks but not quite there when it comes to matching the better sides like Ebbsfleet and Halifax.
A lot of that is down to having a wafer thin squad of course.
If Rodney is going to be out for a prolonged period then perhaps BJ needs to be asking the board for another striker.
He obviously feels that Afoye and Shuabber aren’t ready to be thrown in.
As ever the chances were there though and on another day a goal could have gone in.
How close was Mitchell to Sinclair’s pass across goal in the first half?
Their keeper made a couple of decent saves after the break and Sinclair slammed one wide from a short corner routine.
Halifax have the template for doing well in this league. Big physical side with a tricky winger and a good high press. They don’t score a lot of goals though and only drew 1-1 at home to Oxford the other week.
One other thing; I’ve always seen Halifax as a sort of Derby match but their fans don’t seem to see it the same way. They see their derby at the moment as being with York!
I was told that Oldham were our derby game. Suppose they have a point.
Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 20:11 - Sep 2 with 2696 views442Dale

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 19:53 - Sep 2 by RAFCBLUE

“Facts are for 50% of the home games this season we’ve dominated games and also looked like winning comfortably.”

Which means in 50% we haven’t!

The opposition so far:
Ebbsfleet: National League South Winners last season
Bromley: 7th in National League last season
Eastleigh: 9th in National League last season
Halifax: 11th in National League last season.

We lost because we didn’t have a plan B today and they scored first.

And then an attempt to have a think of a Plan B in the half time break didn’t materialise. Credit to Halifax for watching all of our games so far and working out how to kill our game plan. I thought they managed the game really well.

The next three home games are the proper tests as Barnet, Chesterfield and Southend are all of a standard that will be in the top half of this league.

Barnet/Chesterfield look to be the title contenders based on the early form.

Yes, I think everyone can work out what 50% means.

The fact is there is no correlation to the past, as we’ve already illustrated we do have alternative ways of playing to get results. Today we didn’t react to a team who knew to push our wide players inside to contest play. Simply out-thought on the day.

Thanks for the breakdown on opposition. If we look like winning half of the games comfortably, that is clear difference to recent years and would result in gaining an average of two points a game that will result in at least 22 points from half our home games (or 24 if counting twelve as half). Being more open to changing formation/positions was obvious, it’s no big thing as McNulty has done ok so far. He could do with players being back from injury/illness too.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2023 20:13]

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 20:18 - Sep 2 with 2669 viewsSandyman

Dale were terrible today. We were overwhelmed by a much better team and failed to react effectively. For that, the finger points at the manager. He may claim we are low on resources, I'll give him that, but tactically, we were one track and clueless. Halifax moved forward as a unit - We didn't. No change from the sideways backwards tippy tappy lose possession plan. We didn't work as a team / unit that wanted to win a game.

The players looked like they'd been on the pop last night compared to a bright and sober Halifax. We were slothful in movement.

As bad as the worst of BBM and Stockdale. Of course, every team is entitled to a bad day, but to look so lacking in passion for a derby game is not on.

4 home games - won one, drawn one (that we should have romped home in) and lost two.
Same old, same old.

Through gritted teeth, Halifax fully deserved 3 points today. Rochdale deserved, and got, nowt.
Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 23:48 - Sep 2 with 2217 viewsdawlishdale

Well done to Halifax today. They looked well organised and stopped us from attacking for the most part.
I'm amazed that nobody has commented on our lack of forward movement from midfield. I thought that our holding midfield players were 10 yards too deep and too concerned with passing to the wingbacks on either flank; neither of whom played at all well. Infact, I'd say that the wingback were mainly the difference between the two sides today.

Both Keohane and John were very poor today..Keohane especially exposed numerous times for a lack of pace and a staggering willingness to pass forwards.

Its a mystery how he lasted 65 minutes.

Mitchell was also anonymous and ineffective as a target man, which rendered Henderson almost redundant.

Sinclair was our only threat...but is very right footed, and would perhaps benefit from an occasional switch to the right hand wing ...just to change things round.

In conclusion Halifax deserved their win but Jim made both selection and tactical errors which helped them massively.
Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 08:22 - Sep 3 with 1926 viewsNorthernDale

I agree about Sinclair, I would have Sinclair on the right and Conway on the left, with Gilmour, Clayton and East in the midfield this would mean dropping either Hendo or Mitchell, but could stretch the oppositions defence and create opportunities. Yes, Halifax were more organised and well disciplined, but we did not real test them, because we constantly over passed the ball sideways, like it was a practise game. We lacked the ability to make incisive passes and combine this with the fact, we seemly do not place with pace, but are coached to play possession football.
Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 09:28 - Sep 3 with 1807 viewsTVOS1907

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 19:11 - Sep 2 by RAFCBLUE

"We’ve lost our way on home form since the then Board sacked Hill and then the impact of Covid."

Our home form after winning promotion in 2014 up to Christmas 2016 was pretty good - we even won ten consecutive home matches in the autumn of 2016.

But since beating Shrewsbury at the end of December 2016 up to Hill's final home game v AFC Wimbledon in February 2019, we played 50 home fixtures in the league, which yielded 60 points, so an average of 1.2 points per game.

From the next home game v Shrewsbury (with BBM in caretaker charge) up to yesterday, we have played 95 home games, accruing 109 points at an average of 1.15 points per game.

So, we have lost our way since "the then Board sacked Hill" (not sure why there's a reference to "the then Board", but there you go) by a MAHOOSIVE 0.05 points per game at home.

In other words, the home form was already on a downward spiral long before "the then Board sacked Hill" and to just pick that point in time is re-writing history.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 09:33 - Sep 3 with 1780 views442Dale

Controlling the narrative can fall down when facts and information are put forward.

Though it could always be ignored. Again.

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 10:53 - Sep 3 with 1654 views49thseason

But home form is the key to so many other things, its too important to dismiss it as being no worse as other periods. There were 4 or 500 more home supporters there yesterday who left the ground disappointed, they may well go to work on Monday and tell their friends it was the " same old same old " and rebuilding that support will become harder...it may well be the case that the regular football aficionados will have seen enough to convince themselves that 4 points from 4 games is OK but paying hard cash to watch 1 win in every 4 games is hardly a winning formula to attract bigger crowds
Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 11:13 - Sep 3 with 1624 viewsTVOS1907

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 10:53 - Sep 3 by 49thseason

But home form is the key to so many other things, its too important to dismiss it as being no worse as other periods. There were 4 or 500 more home supporters there yesterday who left the ground disappointed, they may well go to work on Monday and tell their friends it was the " same old same old " and rebuilding that support will become harder...it may well be the case that the regular football aficionados will have seen enough to convince themselves that 4 points from 4 games is OK but paying hard cash to watch 1 win in every 4 games is hardly a winning formula to attract bigger crowds

I'm not sure anyone is dismissing the poor home form in any way, shape or form, but merely pointing out that it hasn't been good enough for the last six or seven years and not just since "the then Board sacked Hill".

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024