Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Groundhog day ... again 16:28 - Feb 5 with 9341 viewswheniwasyourage

Ah, February 2nd, 2024 - Groundhog Day in Punxsutawney, a spectacle where, in a twist of fate, the groundhog saw the shadow of Little Jim McNulty and scurried back to its den. This act, folks, is the epitome of doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different outcome. So, brace yourselves for six more weeks of:

Execs weaving tales of doom and gloom, waxing lyrical about our sheer luck in having not just a team, but the right to have a team. Or was it the right to have the right to a team? It starts to sound like one of those movies that leaves you with a migraine.

Manager Little Jim, spinning tales so thick with clichés it feels like he graduated top of his class from the University of Baffle-speak, majoring in Chocolate Box Clichés 101.

Tactics? More like tip-toe tactics. Playing as if they're scared to dirty their kit because someone used the last of the Fairy Non-Bio. Seriously, at one point D'Mani Mellor was charging down their keeper, and I thought, "Here we go, it's on!" But no, after five passes, we're back with our defense, playing it as safe as a John Lewis display mannequin.

And the commentators? Listening to them is like tuning into the Chinese Communist Party's spokesperson — always on message. How about some guest commentators who sound like actual fans? A bit of Northern bluntness and humor wouldn't go amiss. There was a moment when D'Mani Mellor was subbed off, and the commentator actually said, "Great game from D'Mani, put in a real shift, no assists, no goals, but great effort." Really? If that's the bar for greatness, then I'm an undiscovered football prodigy.

So, it seems we're in for six more weeks of the team going through the motions, standing around like showroom dummies, probably daydreaming they were Manchester City.

Maybe I should've taken up golf. At least there, when you talk to yourself about doing the same thing and expecting a different result, it's just called practicing your swing.
Groundhog day ... again on 17:07 - Feb 5 with 4566 viewsD_Alien

Just wondering what happens in six weeks, after our game against Eastleigh on 16 March?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Groundhog day ... again on 17:25 - Feb 5 with 4505 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Groundhog day ... again on 17:07 - Feb 5 by D_Alien

Just wondering what happens in six weeks, after our game against Eastleigh on 16 March?

Obviously, it's Groundhog Day and off we go again, same shit.
Groundhog day ... again on 17:28 - Feb 5 with 4488 views442Dale

Groundhog day ... again on 17:25 - Feb 5 by Yorkshire_Dale

Obviously, it's Groundhog Day and off we go again, same shit.

On the pitch, is that what you believe this season has been?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Groundhog day ... again on 16:05 - Feb 6 with 3959 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Groundhog day ... again on 17:28 - Feb 5 by 442Dale

On the pitch, is that what you believe this season has been?

Yep, pretty much.....having watched on Twitter(X) our last meeting with D&R from 2010 I was thinking just how poor the fare we are being dished up at present. Back then when the joker Tony Roberts was in goal for D&R and his highly entertaining antics at the Sandy Lane end with our fans, it was an absolute pleasure to hitch up at San Spotty and get behind the players. It was not always good but far far better than this borefest.

Anyway, perhaps you might pen a rallying cry to the Team ,the Management and the coaching staff this week like you did to the fans last Saturday, surely, that will get them going?
Groundhog day ... again on 17:37 - Feb 6 with 3838 viewsblackdogblue

Interesting…

“Ive had enough and after 33 years”

of supporting the Dale I am leavening this forum.

Why come back to post shite?

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Groundhog day ... again on 17:47 - Feb 6 with 3813 views442Dale

Groundhog day ... again on 16:05 - Feb 6 by Yorkshire_Dale

Yep, pretty much.....having watched on Twitter(X) our last meeting with D&R from 2010 I was thinking just how poor the fare we are being dished up at present. Back then when the joker Tony Roberts was in goal for D&R and his highly entertaining antics at the Sandy Lane end with our fans, it was an absolute pleasure to hitch up at San Spotty and get behind the players. It was not always good but far far better than this borefest.

Anyway, perhaps you might pen a rallying cry to the Team ,the Management and the coaching staff this week like you did to the fans last Saturday, surely, that will get them going?

Was Altrincham the “same shit”? Was Barnet? Was York away? Was every game Groundhog Day? No. Or did Bill Murray actually wake up on different days in the film you saw?

What is the same? It’s been established that we don’t play the same way, we just sometimes don’t get it right. And it’s frustrating. Comparing the current National League side to one from a successful era will always see you disappointed. How about comparing it to last season? Or the Barrow era?

As for any “rallying call”, it’s up to fans to do what they want. Rest assured that any negativity towards McNulty and the team won’t help when our efforts should be focused on the future of the football club. But that’s on individuals.

In the meantime we most certainly should find it a pleasure to get behind a set of players and a manager who are doing all they can for the fans on the terraces. They might not always get it right and the football might be a bit rubbish at times, but that’s Rochdale. Not sure what more you can expect.
[Post edited 6 Feb 17:49]

Groundhog day ... again on 20:25 - Feb 6 with 3594 viewsShun

The ‘borefest’ comments are tedious but also expected. I’m really pleased with how this season’s panned out, but some of the games have been dreadfully dull. I do though think this is just what football is these days. It isn’t a Dale thing, it’s a modern football thing.

There won’t be any team in England who currently plays football as exciting as what we saw under Hill’s first spell. That simply isn’t how football is played these days. Flair and speed don’t seem to be valued traits anymore.

I’ve bored my Twitter followers ad infinitum banging on about this, but I put it down to the Pep effect. One of the most successful managers ever plays football that’s heavy on possession and passing, but that’s also sterile and dull. The current trend is to emulate that, and you’ll see this style at grounds across England. It’s likely just a phase football is going through, and when the trends change, so will Rochdale.
Groundhog day ... again on 20:32 - Feb 6 with 3568 viewsRodingdale

Groundhog day ... again on 17:47 - Feb 6 by 442Dale

Was Altrincham the “same shit”? Was Barnet? Was York away? Was every game Groundhog Day? No. Or did Bill Murray actually wake up on different days in the film you saw?

What is the same? It’s been established that we don’t play the same way, we just sometimes don’t get it right. And it’s frustrating. Comparing the current National League side to one from a successful era will always see you disappointed. How about comparing it to last season? Or the Barrow era?

As for any “rallying call”, it’s up to fans to do what they want. Rest assured that any negativity towards McNulty and the team won’t help when our efforts should be focused on the future of the football club. But that’s on individuals.

In the meantime we most certainly should find it a pleasure to get behind a set of players and a manager who are doing all they can for the fans on the terraces. They might not always get it right and the football might be a bit rubbish at times, but that’s Rochdale. Not sure what more you can expect.
[Post edited 6 Feb 17:49]

It’s obviously not always shit. But I think a lot of frustration arises from how we give some really very poor opposing teams so much respect. We look to be so easy to play against if the opposition just don’t engage with the drawing out tactics. Wait for us to make a mistake score and game manage. We continue with plan A which wasn’t working in the first place and lose the game. Dagenham on Sat was a good example, Hereford in the cup, Bromley, Ebbsfleet. McNulty invariably witters on about the grit and fight he believes the team show, when that’s not how it looks to fans who’ve been served poor football for four years now. The odd good performance isn’t enough to build momentum to our season. It’s supposed to be entertaining - more often than not for Dale - the entertainment stops when the match starts.
[Post edited 6 Feb 20:43]
Login to get fewer ads

Groundhog day ... again on 20:45 - Feb 6 with 3527 views442Dale

Groundhog day ... again on 20:32 - Feb 6 by Rodingdale

It’s obviously not always shit. But I think a lot of frustration arises from how we give some really very poor opposing teams so much respect. We look to be so easy to play against if the opposition just don’t engage with the drawing out tactics. Wait for us to make a mistake score and game manage. We continue with plan A which wasn’t working in the first place and lose the game. Dagenham on Sat was a good example, Hereford in the cup, Bromley, Ebbsfleet. McNulty invariably witters on about the grit and fight he believes the team show, when that’s not how it looks to fans who’ve been served poor football for four years now. The odd good performance isn’t enough to build momentum to our season. It’s supposed to be entertaining - more often than not for Dale - the entertainment stops when the match starts.

Can’t disagree with some of that. There’s so much frustration around how we’ve done on the pitch these season because we have seen what we are capable of.

It’s actually knowing that and doing something about it which is down to the manager. We shouldn’t shy away from pointing that out. It’s the nonsensical belief that it’s always the “same” or we’ve been awful to watch all season that is a bit disrespectful to a bloke working against the odds - odds which many believed were weighted towards the team to be battling against relegation.

It might just be me, but I’ve enjoyed games much more this season because it’s obvious how much the team are putting in. It’s that they’re not always great.

Of course it’s a shame Dagenham didn’t have a more entertaining keeper on Saturday, that might have made a difference. Even if his name was good.
[Post edited 6 Feb 20:46]

Groundhog day ... again on 20:49 - Feb 6 with 3502 views442Dale

Groundhog day ... again on 20:25 - Feb 6 by Shun

The ‘borefest’ comments are tedious but also expected. I’m really pleased with how this season’s panned out, but some of the games have been dreadfully dull. I do though think this is just what football is these days. It isn’t a Dale thing, it’s a modern football thing.

There won’t be any team in England who currently plays football as exciting as what we saw under Hill’s first spell. That simply isn’t how football is played these days. Flair and speed don’t seem to be valued traits anymore.

I’ve bored my Twitter followers ad infinitum banging on about this, but I put it down to the Pep effect. One of the most successful managers ever plays football that’s heavy on possession and passing, but that’s also sterile and dull. The current trend is to emulate that, and you’ll see this style at grounds across England. It’s likely just a phase football is going through, and when the trends change, so will Rochdale.

That covers it.

The game isn’t what it was. Players now are brought up differently. It can be modified, so let’s give McNulty credit for actually trying to do that now and again.

Groundhog day ... again on 21:21 - Feb 6 with 3423 viewsturnthescrew

Groundhog day ... again on 20:25 - Feb 6 by Shun

Why don't we change the trend? I'm sure we are a better team when we take the game to the opposition, rather than play the slower, predictable game.

We've been at our best playing with pace, so let's see more of it.
Groundhog day ... again on 22:11 - Feb 6 with 3347 viewsRAFCBLUE

I agree with that and think the entertainment factor shouldn’t be underestimated either.

The club stands at a crossroads of trying to attract the next generation of fans and build numbers to befinancially sustainable. An already ageing fanbase that needs increasing anyway continuesto age and decline.

To get out of this division you need to score 80+ goals so have to play a style that gives the chance to score 80+ goals.

The initiatives the club and Trust are trying are admirable but it’s an entertainment product first and foremost. If you can against Fylde for a £1 , paid full price for Dagenham how likely are you to come again and pay full price this season.

We all know that a few good wins bring more interest which is where Hill succeeded trying to score 3 or 4 knowing that if you did you’d likely win the game, more often than not.

The poorer performances under Hill were more readily forgiven because even the games we lost were good entertainment.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Groundhog day ... again on 22:24 - Feb 6 with 3310 views442Dale

Whilst results and performances will always be the most important thing, the club has been at that crossroads to grow the fan base for a very long time over numerous regimes with little in the way of a consistent plan. At the moment it’s commendable that we have maintained a level number of home fans despite recent declines on and off the pitch.

Anyway, back to the planning… weren’t we meant to hear more about the ‘half season tickets’ by now?
“ This will launch prior to the Dagenham & Redbridge home game”

Or is the plan now to have ‘Just A Bit More Than a Third Season Tickets’ available before the Solihull Moors game?

Groundhog day ... again on 22:31 - Feb 6 with 3289 viewsD_Alien

Groundhog day ... again on 22:24 - Feb 6 by 442Dale

Whilst results and performances will always be the most important thing, the club has been at that crossroads to grow the fan base for a very long time over numerous regimes with little in the way of a consistent plan. At the moment it’s commendable that we have maintained a level number of home fans despite recent declines on and off the pitch.

Anyway, back to the planning… weren’t we meant to hear more about the ‘half season tickets’ by now?
“ This will launch prior to the Dagenham & Redbridge home game”

Or is the plan now to have ‘Just A Bit More Than a Third Season Tickets’ available before the Solihull Moors game?

Could be waiting for the Dorking Wanderers fixture, when it'll be marketed as a 1/23rd season ticket

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Groundhog day ... again on 22:37 - Feb 6 with 3261 views442Dale

Groundhog day ... again on 22:31 - Feb 6 by D_Alien

Could be waiting for the Dorking Wanderers fixture, when it'll be marketed as a 1/23rd season ticket

Groundhog Day indeed.

Groundhog day ... again on 03:22 - Feb 7 with 3163 viewsSandyman

Beautifully written.
Pep's Man City have the players to make tippy tappy work and appear entertaining.
Rochdale doesn't. Nor do other lower level teams that buy into that style.
Watched the Plymouth V Leeds cup replay last night - a joy to watch. Both teams going forward, attacking, trying to score goals. Having a shot and scoring goals seemed to be the last thing Dale were interested in last Saturday. Not for the first time.
Entertaining > football coaching manual if you want people to turn up and be enthused and entertained of an afternoon, after paying their money. The weak Dale display last Saturday was one of those "why do I bother" times. 300 sideways backwards passes at Alty and lose or go and attack for a win. Over to you Jim.
Groundhog day ... again on 04:37 - Feb 7 with 3151 viewsJames1980

Groundhog day ... again on 03:22 - Feb 7 by Sandyman

Beautifully written.
Pep's Man City have the players to make tippy tappy work and appear entertaining.
Rochdale doesn't. Nor do other lower level teams that buy into that style.
Watched the Plymouth V Leeds cup replay last night - a joy to watch. Both teams going forward, attacking, trying to score goals. Having a shot and scoring goals seemed to be the last thing Dale were interested in last Saturday. Not for the first time.
Entertaining > football coaching manual if you want people to turn up and be enthused and entertained of an afternoon, after paying their money. The weak Dale display last Saturday was one of those "why do I bother" times. 300 sideways backwards passes at Alty and lose or go and attack for a win. Over to you Jim.

Maybe Jim would be better using Klopp as his inspiration I'd wager Gengenpress would be more entertaining than tippy tappy in the NL

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Groundhog day ... again on 07:17 - Feb 7 with 3045 viewsnordenblue

Groundhog day ... again on 04:37 - Feb 7 by James1980

Maybe Jim would be better using Klopp as his inspiration I'd wager Gengenpress would be more entertaining than tippy tappy in the NL

Sadly almost every manager is weirdly obsessed with the Pep style keep the ball all game and bore the fook out of folk for 75 mins of a game with a million passes. Spain did the same when they won everything, which is fine when you've got the talent and skillset to implement the idea, with lower league and more so non league players you're pissing against the wind for the majority of the games trying to "draw teams out' especially when you've literally no pace at all to counter anyway.
[Post edited 7 Feb 7:21]
Groundhog day ... again on 07:23 - Feb 7 with 3039 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Groundhog day ... again on 22:31 - Feb 6 by D_Alien

Exactly. It’s anything but “commendable” by the club is it? One half arsed effort for the Fylde game & apart from that it’s squeeze yet more hard earned cash from the same fans… There appears to be either a complete lack of vision from the club or a paralysis in the decision making process.
Groundhog day ... again on 11:03 - Feb 7 with 2842 viewsRAFCBLUE

Groundhog day ... again on 07:23 - Feb 7 by Plattyswrinklynuts

Exactly. It’s anything but “commendable” by the club is it? One half arsed effort for the Fylde game & apart from that it’s squeeze yet more hard earned cash from the same fans… There appears to be either a complete lack of vision from the club or a paralysis in the decision making process.

There is also massive amount of apathy and the economics of the town to consider.

There were swathes of people who bought a £1 ticket but actually felt for whatever reason it was better not to come to the game.

Since 1907, the club has mainly operated between the 71st and 92nd in the pyramid and having a highest placed finish of 52nd in the pyramid in 2014/15

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rochdale_A.F.C._seasons

The last column of the link has the average home attendance.

Apparently (from the link) the average home attendance was 3,029 last year and 3,098 in 2015/16 after our best ever season.

People can and do finger point on "effort" and have for many years but even when we were in League 1 the numbers show the town did not come out to support its team and it was and is a struggle.

£20 for the cheapest walk-up adult ticket where the average weekly take home pay is £422 is an ask at 5% of average takehome wage but a difficult balance because the losses incurred on 2,000+ cheap season tickets the club makes a loss of £0.5m which threatens its existence unless there is a one-off.

The season ticket works out about £9 a game. Its great value. The same average person earning £422 is 2% of average takehome wage and those people have confirmed a commitment to 23 games at the outset.

The club could equalise or even increase its revenue by putting up the Sandy Lane season ticket to £12 a game (more than the £9) and see limited chance in Season Ticket holders vs the £20 walkup.

But the £20 walkup is where the club makes good money and you've got to have a reason and a motivation to walkup which the data shows was about 3,000 hardy souls in 2007/08 and is still about 3,000 hardy souls now.

In August 2007, RPI (a measure of inflation) was 207.3. In August 2023 it was 376.6.

That's an 82% increase in prices and that is an impact on people and their spending choices.

Football is a discretionary spend and an entertainment industry. If you don't feel you are going to be entertained (however you define that) then you'll keep your money in your pocket.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/

Groundhog day ... again on 14:40 - Feb 7 with 2643 views442Dale

Groundhog day ... again on 11:03 - Feb 7 by RAFCBLUE

There is also massive amount of apathy and the economics of the town to consider.

There were swathes of people who bought a £1 ticket but actually felt for whatever reason it was better not to come to the game.

Since 1907, the club has mainly operated between the 71st and 92nd in the pyramid and having a highest placed finish of 52nd in the pyramid in 2014/15

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rochdale_A.F.C._seasons

The last column of the link has the average home attendance.

Apparently (from the link) the average home attendance was 3,029 last year and 3,098 in 2015/16 after our best ever season.

People can and do finger point on "effort" and have for many years but even when we were in League 1 the numbers show the town did not come out to support its team and it was and is a struggle.

£20 for the cheapest walk-up adult ticket where the average weekly take home pay is £422 is an ask at 5% of average takehome wage but a difficult balance because the losses incurred on 2,000+ cheap season tickets the club makes a loss of £0.5m which threatens its existence unless there is a one-off.

The season ticket works out about £9 a game. Its great value. The same average person earning £422 is 2% of average takehome wage and those people have confirmed a commitment to 23 games at the outset.

The club could equalise or even increase its revenue by putting up the Sandy Lane season ticket to £12 a game (more than the £9) and see limited chance in Season Ticket holders vs the £20 walkup.

But the £20 walkup is where the club makes good money and you've got to have a reason and a motivation to walkup which the data shows was about 3,000 hardy souls in 2007/08 and is still about 3,000 hardy souls now.

In August 2007, RPI (a measure of inflation) was 207.3. In August 2023 it was 376.6.

That's an 82% increase in prices and that is an impact on people and their spending choices.

Football is a discretionary spend and an entertainment industry. If you don't feel you are going to be entertained (however you define that) then you'll keep your money in your pocket.

That we haven’t done enough to build our home crowds through the most successful period of the club’s history and since then is a collective failure of all involved. That’s not pointing fingers. It’s what’s happened and continues to happen because there has been no consistent effective planning. Little has changed if we go off examples like the ‘half season ticket’.

Edit: ‘Eight Game Ticket Bundle’ now available.
https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2024/february/eightgamebundle_feb24/

No one denies there is an apathy within the town. But as a football club we can only control what we do, and for 15 years and more it hasn’t been enough.

Interesting points about the club making “good money” from walk-ups. Is there any available evidence that illustrates this and how we target those who regularly pay on the gate? Presumably there are stats from each game which breakdown season ticket attendees and those who pay on the day, it could be that with absent season ticket holders that more may be paying on the day now than last season for example, as said, we need the actual information. Otherwise we are all just guessing.
If this info is available, has it been shared with the Trust to build on all the work they and fans did at the end of last season? It could then be utilised as part of a proper ongoing focus group plan involving supporters. Not just a meeting on Teams.

Also, on goalscoring: if we continue scoring at the rate we have so far, we’re on track to score 73-74 goals this season.

Since 17/18 only three teams have scored over 80 goals winning promotion from the National League - the anomalies that were 100pts+ Wrexham and Notts County last season and Stockport who got 87 the year before.
Other teams that were promoted in this time (Covid curtailed season not included) scored 68, 72, 66, 73, 77, 67, 78.

So, putting all the valid conversations about style of play to one side for a moment, facts currently point to this Dale team scoring the same or more goals per game than five of the ten promoted sides in recent years.
[Post edited 7 Feb 15:08]

Groundhog day ... again on 16:44 - Feb 7 with 2491 viewsRAFCBLUE

Groundhog day ... again on 14:40 - Feb 7 by 442Dale

That we haven’t done enough to build our home crowds through the most successful period of the club’s history and since then is a collective failure of all involved. That’s not pointing fingers. It’s what’s happened and continues to happen because there has been no consistent effective planning. Little has changed if we go off examples like the ‘half season ticket’.

Edit: ‘Eight Game Ticket Bundle’ now available.
https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2024/february/eightgamebundle_feb24/

No one denies there is an apathy within the town. But as a football club we can only control what we do, and for 15 years and more it hasn’t been enough.

Interesting points about the club making “good money” from walk-ups. Is there any available evidence that illustrates this and how we target those who regularly pay on the gate? Presumably there are stats from each game which breakdown season ticket attendees and those who pay on the day, it could be that with absent season ticket holders that more may be paying on the day now than last season for example, as said, we need the actual information. Otherwise we are all just guessing.
If this info is available, has it been shared with the Trust to build on all the work they and fans did at the end of last season? It could then be utilised as part of a proper ongoing focus group plan involving supporters. Not just a meeting on Teams.

Also, on goalscoring: if we continue scoring at the rate we have so far, we’re on track to score 73-74 goals this season.

Since 17/18 only three teams have scored over 80 goals winning promotion from the National League - the anomalies that were 100pts+ Wrexham and Notts County last season and Stockport who got 87 the year before.
Other teams that were promoted in this time (Covid curtailed season not included) scored 68, 72, 66, 73, 77, 67, 78.

So, putting all the valid conversations about style of play to one side for a moment, facts currently point to this Dale team scoring the same or more goals per game than five of the ten promoted sides in recent years.
[Post edited 7 Feb 15:08]

I think Data Protection laws prevent details of who seeing buys what tickets outside of those who work within the club as employees.

We are all customers and customer data is treated under data protection laws. I think those who represent the Trust are also bound by data protection law so unless the club have the consent of those purchasing to share their data with the Trust I don't think it can be shared.

The 8 game ticket announced today will silence those who wanted an offer but for the 8 games its:
* Sandy: £120 rather than £160. Saving £40. Cost per game £15.00
* Pearl Street: £132 rather than £176. Saving £44. Cost per game £16.50

How much was a season ticket for all 23 games in the Sandy again? £9 a game?

Effectively, we are targeting the non-season ticket holding community for 8 games, 4 on Saturday and 4 non-Saturday games and asking them to find at least £120 before Noon on the 17th.

£120 to the average wage earner in Rochdale is 28% of a week's takehome wage; not easy to find even if you are motivated to buy. Not easy to find in the current economic circumstances. Not easy to find if you think you will be bored rigid with unexciting football.

So, we've tried, it won't attract that many because of a combination of (a) cost (b) the mix of fixtures and (c) general apathy out of recent results / performances. As the OP noted - groundhog day.

I do wonder if the £15 offer price for the Sandy / £16.50 offer price for the Pearl Street and a matchday price of £20 / £22 is a signpost that season tickets will have to rise next season to become more financially sustainable in 2024/25 with the loss of EFL monies?

That would make a Sandy Lane season ticket £345.00 and a Pearl Street ticket £379.50. Still excellent value and a number of games discounted but would that put existing ST holders off? It would certainly narrow the gap of the finances at the club.

Food for thought.
[Post edited 7 Feb 16:49]

Groundhog day ... again on 17:00 - Feb 7 with 2450 views442Dale

Groundhog day ... again on 16:44 - Feb 7 by RAFCBLUE

I think Data Protection laws prevent details of who seeing buys what tickets outside of those who work within the club as employees.

We are all customers and customer data is treated under data protection laws. I think those who represent the Trust are also bound by data protection law so unless the club have the consent of those purchasing to share their data with the Trust I don't think it can be shared.

The 8 game ticket announced today will silence those who wanted an offer but for the 8 games its:
* Sandy: £120 rather than £160. Saving £40. Cost per game £15.00
* Pearl Street: £132 rather than £176. Saving £44. Cost per game £16.50

How much was a season ticket for all 23 games in the Sandy again? £9 a game?

Effectively, we are targeting the non-season ticket holding community for 8 games, 4 on Saturday and 4 non-Saturday games and asking them to find at least £120 before Noon on the 17th.

£120 to the average wage earner in Rochdale is 28% of a week's takehome wage; not easy to find even if you are motivated to buy. Not easy to find in the current economic circumstances. Not easy to find if you think you will be bored rigid with unexciting football.

So, we've tried, it won't attract that many because of a combination of (a) cost (b) the mix of fixtures and (c) general apathy out of recent results / performances. As the OP noted - groundhog day.

I do wonder if the £15 offer price for the Sandy / £16.50 offer price for the Pearl Street and a matchday price of £20 / £22 is a signpost that season tickets will have to rise next season to become more financially sustainable in 2024/25 with the loss of EFL monies?

That would make a Sandy Lane season ticket £345.00 and a Pearl Street ticket £379.50. Still excellent value and a number of games discounted but would that put existing ST holders off? It would certainly narrow the gap of the finances at the club.

Food for thought.
[Post edited 7 Feb 16:49]

Not actual information about individual customers, simple numbers of fans attending who are season ticket holders/pay on the day for each game. Much in the same way they split the amount of home and away fans on the scoreboard.

The initial article on the OS is missing a breakdown of the cost of each ticket bundle, so it’s good of you to do that. Maybe it could be passed onto the club to add so that the actual price is there for people before they ring up/attend the ticket office. Especially as some who attended the Fylde game would be unaware of our normal matchday prices.
Edit: the article has now been updated with the prices of the bundle tickets for each stand.

Also, who were the fans who wanted such an eight game offer? Not sure why they’d need to be silenced for having an idea like that, because surely any suggestions should be encouraged, looked at and discussed.

Establishing a consistent plan with regular involvement from the Trust and supporters can only improve the chances of success.

To confirm, to get out of this division do you need to score 80+ goals or not?
[Post edited 7 Feb 18:31]

Groundhog day ... again on 17:12 - Feb 7 with 2431 views442Dale

Oh, and if there was an intention to capitalise on the increased attendance v Fylde and if fans had been involved in a clear, identifiable planning process to maximise our crowds, personally I’d have suggested marketing a £150 ten game ticket (TGT, not half season), £20 for kids in the form of leaflets/follow up emails to every fan who paid their quid for Boxing Day. Others would no doubt have had other ideas that could be looked at with the best option then utilised.

On that idea: Retaining just 50 of those fans would have brought in £7500. Of course before making such a decision, the figures for ‘pay on the day’ customers could be analysed to work out the costings ie. if all those bought a TGT, opposed to paying on the day. It might be that the offer would have to be readjusted depending on the numbers.

If numbers are allowed that is. Either way, there was an opportunity missed.

Or, Groundhog Day. Again
[Post edited 7 Feb 18:30]

Groundhog day ... again on 19:28 - Feb 7 with 2278 viewswatford_dale

Groundhog day ... again on 17:12 - Feb 7 by 442Dale

Oh, and if there was an intention to capitalise on the increased attendance v Fylde and if fans had been involved in a clear, identifiable planning process to maximise our crowds, personally I’d have suggested marketing a £150 ten game ticket (TGT, not half season), £20 for kids in the form of leaflets/follow up emails to every fan who paid their quid for Boxing Day. Others would no doubt have had other ideas that could be looked at with the best option then utilised.

On that idea: Retaining just 50 of those fans would have brought in £7500. Of course before making such a decision, the figures for ‘pay on the day’ customers could be analysed to work out the costings ie. if all those bought a TGT, opposed to paying on the day. It might be that the offer would have to be readjusted depending on the numbers.

If numbers are allowed that is. Either way, there was an opportunity missed.

Or, Groundhog Day. Again
[Post edited 7 Feb 18:30]

I don't think there would have been many takers because everyone will use the £175 sandy ticket as a comparator that provides entrance to 23 games equating to £7.60 a game.

The current offer of £120 for an 8 game bundle may attract a few (I personally don't think it will as there is no jeopardy involved - promotion or relegation) but, based on the season ticket pricing, this ticket is massively overpriced and should have been priced at £60 (the exact amount is £60.87). Why am I going to pay £120 for 8 when I can get another 15 for £55, which would be the season ticket.

As stadium occupancy is only 22 - 23%, that is an opportunity missed because the matchday experience is certainly not being sold on entertainment at all.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024