Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First band you saw live 20:35 - Jan 26 with 25304 viewsjoecooke

Saw this one on another forum and thought it was a belter.Got to be at a proper venue.

Mine was for my sins Haircut 100 around 82 at the Apollo .(free tickets obviously!)

Fortunately i managed to see The specials about 6 months later.

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

First band you saw live on 12:29 - Jul 14 with 1918 viewsJames1980

First band you saw live on 20:48 - Jan 26 by SalwaDale

Transvision Vamp - probably 1990 - Manchester Apollo. To be more precise though, maybe their support band - And Why Not? (I have no idea how I remember their name, they weren't very good).
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

A claim to fame of the village I live in is Wendy James went to the local school.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

First band you saw live on 12:45 - Jul 14 with 1876 viewsjudd

First band you saw live on 12:29 - Jul 14 by James1980

A claim to fame of the village I live in is Wendy James went to the local school.

I've played her at pool in a pub in Ireland.

Poll: What is it to be then?

First band you saw live on 12:57 - Jul 14 with 1840 viewsJames1980

First band you saw live on 12:45 - Jul 14 by judd

I've played her at pool in a pub in Ireland.

Who won?

First band you saw live on 13:17 - Jul 14 with 1807 viewsnordenblue

First band you saw live on 12:57 - Jul 14 by James1980

Who won?

Judd Trumped her
First band you saw live on 13:43 - Jul 14 with 1773 viewsDiddyDave

Brass Band with mum, dad and little brother, at the bandstand in Falinge Park on a Sunday in the late 50s, whether I wanted to or not.
First band you saw live on 13:53 - Jul 14 with 1757 viewsmingthemerciless

First band you saw live on 13:43 - Jul 14 by DiddyDave

Brass Band with mum, dad and little brother, at the bandstand in Falinge Park on a Sunday in the late 50s, whether I wanted to or not.

The band stand got pulled down a few years ago.
First band you saw live on 14:16 - Jul 14 with 1710 viewsDaleiLama

First band you saw live on 13:17 - Jul 14 by nordenblue

Judd Trumped her

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

First band you saw live on 16:08 - Jul 14 with 1610 viewsdavidab2202

Proubably David John and the Mood,but certainly The Fortunes around mid sixties.
Musical taste changed as I got a bit longer in the tooth and favourites were The Mavericks at the NEC in Birmingham and both trips to Grand Ole Opry in Nashville
Login to get fewer ads

First band you saw live on 16:40 - Jul 14 with 1566 viewsncfc_chalky

First band you saw live on 12:29 - Jul 14 by James1980

Does everyone from the village have to have James in their name James?

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

First band you saw live on 16:42 - Jul 14 with 1564 viewsJames1980

First band you saw live on 16:40 - Jul 14 by ncfc_chalky

Does everyone from the village have to have James in their name James?

LOL I wasn't born in the village I grew up in I'm an outsider wherever I go Chalky.

First band you saw live on 17:09 - Jul 14 with 1540 viewsblackdogblue

First band you saw live on 08:47 - Jul 14 by BlueMessiah

Rush - Deeside Leisure Centre 1980. Rubber mats covering the ice rink. Had cold feet.

Was there & think it was snowing as well outside, it was the Moving Pictures tour & awesome…

First concert was October 1980, Gillan at the Manchester Apollo.

To be honest have been to 100’s of gigs over the years & worked at the Apollo for a while when I was 17/18 so seen many genres play live as well…

Next ones I have tickets for are Saxon at the Apollo (moved about 3 times because of Covid so Jan next year I think) & Download weekend next year, Kiss / Iron Maiden fri/sat night.. not going on the Sunday as wouldn’t cross the street to see Biffy Clyro 😀

Still on the fence for a festival in Spain, Scorpions / Wihiesnake next year as well…

Would have gone to Genesis at the MEN but then saw the cost of tickets….

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

First band you saw live on 17:22 - Jul 14 with 1527 viewsfinberty

OK - to subvert the thread a little, how about those you'd rather not own up to?

Apart from the fact you might rather not own up to anything, I'm boldly going in with:

S-Club Juniors followed by S-Club, Manchester Arena, around 2007. Long night.

[Reasonable excuse - kids]
First band you saw live on 18:05 - Jul 14 with 1489 viewsncfc_chalky

Going the opposite way and I had tickets to see the Barenaked Ladies at Cambridge which I was hugely looking forward to but unfortunately it got cancelled due to the bug

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

First band you saw live on 18:11 - Jul 14 with 1486 viewsJames1980

A mate's older sister had two spare tickets to Therapy at Brixton academy. So me and Tim tagged along. Don't remember much about the gig (terrible episodic memory) I do remember someone in the band saying 'There's a riot outside, lets have a riot in here.' or something similar. When we got out turned out it was true. Quite the experience.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/december/13/newsid_2559000/2559
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 18:12]

First band you saw live on 18:28 - Jul 14 with 1456 viewsjudd

First band you saw live on 17:22 - Jul 14 by finberty

OK - to subvert the thread a little, how about those you'd rather not own up to?

Apart from the fact you might rather not own up to anything, I'm boldly going in with:

Ollie Murs.

Unintentionally of course. He was "entertaining" the crowds at fun run in Manchester and did the same song 3 times.

The Dooleys. On a race trip and we were a captured audience.

Poll: What is it to be then?

First band you saw live on 19:35 - Jul 14 with 1412 viewsblackdogblue

Whilst working.. (ahem) & truly honestly here’s a few I remember (non rock bands)…

Police (were actually ok but shhhh..)
Duran Duran
Haircut 100
Gary Newman
The Clash
Depesche Mode
The Smiths
Happy Mondays I think???
Specials
Madness
Kraftwork
Tangerine Dream

My job was down at the front stopping people leaving seats to stand in the “mosh pit” as it was when the lights went down about 8:45pm as the headliners came on… I will admit, Rock heritage & long hair aside, I did see Ultravox & was actually blown away by Hymn, still
Love that song to this day

First band you saw live on 22:52 - Jul 14 with 1331 viewsBlueMessiah

First band you saw live on 17:09 - Jul 14 by blackdogblue

Was there & think it was snowing as well outside, it was the Moving Pictures tour & awesome…

First concert was October 1980, Gillan at the Manchester Apollo.

To be honest have been to 100’s of gigs over the years & worked at the Apollo for a while when I was 17/18 so seen many genres play live as well…

Next ones I have tickets for are Saxon at the Apollo (moved about 3 times because of Covid so Jan next year I think) & Download weekend next year, Kiss / Iron Maiden fri/sat night.. not going on the Sunday as wouldn’t cross the street to see Biffy Clyro 😀

Still on the fence for a festival in Spain, Scorpions / Wihiesnake next year as well…

Would have gone to Genesis at the MEN but then saw the cost of tickets….

It was the Permanent Waves tour I saw them first and I'm pretty sure it was June so doubt it was snowing - even in Wales! Maybe a year or so before the Moving Pictures tour?
They were supported by a shit Brummie band called Quartz who's lead singer was an Ian Anderson wannabe. They were giving away flexi-discs in the foyer which were then used as frisbees during the Rush set.
Funnily enough I was also at the Gillan gig.

Poll: Do I Know You?

First band you saw live on 22:54 - Jul 14 with 1324 viewsBlueMessiah

Fairground Attraction to pacify a girlfriend at the time. Truly horrific.

First band you saw live on 00:55 - Jul 15 with 1275 viewsD_Alien

Steps, McFly & (worst of all) Tiny Tempah, down with the kids

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

First band you saw live on 06:51 - Jul 15 with 1215 viewsblackdogblue

First band you saw live on 22:52 - Jul 14 by BlueMessiah

It was the Permanent Waves tour I saw them first and I'm pretty sure it was June so doubt it was snowing - even in Wales! Maybe a year or so before the Moving Pictures tour?
They were supported by a shit Brummie band called Quartz who's lead singer was an Ian Anderson wannabe. They were giving away flexi-discs in the foyer which were then used as frisbees during the Rush set.
Funnily enough I was also at the Gillan gig.

Your right, just googled it, I went in 1981, it was Nov & Exit Stage Left tour…

Quartz supported Gillan as well with White Spirit (Bought the White Spirit Album & still have it in the loft 😀)

First band you saw live on 07:48 - Jul 15 with 1190 viewsBlueMessiah

First band you saw live on 06:51 - Jul 15 by blackdogblue

Your right, just googled it, I went in 1981, it was Nov & Exit Stage Left tour…

Quartz supported Gillan as well with White Spirit (Bought the White Spirit Album & still have it in the loft 😀)

There were some awful support bands in the NWOBHM days. I remember enduring Starfighters 2 nights running on the AC/DC Back in Black tour. On the other hand, like you I've also seen some belters. Cardiacs supported Marillion around 1984 at the Apollo and were absolutely destroyed by the audience (someone even tried setting the stage curtains on fire to get them off stage) I loved them and they're still one of my favourite bands.

Maybe another thread here...

First band you saw live on 09:49 - Jul 15 with 1134 viewsSalegraham

The first gig I saw(or can remember, it's an age thing) was The Beatles at the Odeon on Oxford Road M/C. Best gig was Little Richard at the Kubiclub
First band you saw live on 10:44 - Jul 15 with 1084 viewsjoecooke

Tanita Tikarum ( free tickets and keeping girl at the time happy!) Dreadful experience from start to finish.

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

First band you saw live on 11:10 - Jul 15 with 1065 viewsEllDale

First gig was Maria Muldaur
I was lucky enough to be a student at Lancaster in the 1970's when they had a star studded list of bands and also fortunate to be able to work at the gigs.
My favourite two were Blondie and John Martyn. Different styles but great stuff. Debbie Harry whipped the crowd up bigstyle that night.
The worst were Sparks. Came with a big reputation but must have had an off-night that Friday!
First band you saw live on 13:34 - Jul 15 with 1470 viewswimborne_dale

Siouxie and the Banshees
at Plymouth Elephant Fair in 1982

Edgar Allan's Crow

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024