Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Spotland 16:47 - May 9 with 4100 viewsbeat_the_bishop

I genuinely hope that the club strike a deal to own the ground very soon. It's gone on long enough now. What I'm curious about is how much it's actually being valued at, can anyone shine some light? It can only be the council stalling on matters, purely because they have weighed up you could squeeze 100 houses on there making the land miles more valuable than the ground.

Secondly... I was up there the other night and it could be just me but the place just feels run down. The club are obviously fully aware of that and reluctant to spend any money when they are at such a delicate stage which is understandle. I've always loved Spotland it's a 'proper' little stadium, but at the minute it feels about soulless. All the paint flaking off the brickwork at the mainstand main entrance, loads of smashed seats and all faded and brittle, rotten advertising boards, holes in the roof on TDS from the wind damage, frost covers still half heartedly rolled up and left along the Sandy lane end, all the interiors are cream with pine woodwork, rusty railings along the pitch side...

I know it sounds petty, and all reasonably easy and affordable fixes, but on match day I just turn up 15 minutes before kickoff, watch the game from the TDS and then leave. Having had a good nosey around the other night I just got chance to take it all in a little bit as from afar it looks alright (which probably answers my question).

If they own it I would love them to refurbish the bars and executive boxes in the main stand, bring them to life with a modern airy feel and get everything colour coded to our colours. Little things like getting rid of the red seats and replace them with blue in the mainstand, some would see it as a waste of money but to me all that stuff moves you forward with the speed of things on the pitch.

As a player debating if to sign for Dale what would appeal to you? No training ground, a small fan base, a dated stadium, the town in general isn't very great, and we don't pay the best wages. Its hard to see the attraction. I hold my hat off to Hill and his achievements, as much as the guy does my head in with his verbals as we've discussed before, you have to admire what he has achieved. In terms of status when telling people who you player for as a player... I reckon we are in the bottom half of League Two, along with our finances.

It was either this thread or revision. I apologise in advance. Anybody have any thoughts?

To summarise?

- How much is the stadium worth?
- Any one else think the ground is tired?
- ^^ What would you change about it?
- What would attract you as a player?
[Post edited 9 May 2015 16:53]
Spotland on 16:58 - May 9 with 4063 viewsKenBoon

There's zillions of brownfield sites around the town to build on before Metro Rochdale (Who own about 12%) started wanting to knock more things down. I imagine the ground is worth nowt. What's worth money is the Stadium Company debt.

The ground is run down though. Wander into the Pearl Street toilets to see what a mess its become. I think even the smokers avoid them at half time now.
Spotland on 17:05 - May 9 with 4044 viewsbeat_the_bishop

I doubt we could afford a new ground though, or could we? I went to the City EDS stadium last night to watch my friend, I was impressed. I know they have cash to burn but from a buildabilty perspective what they have built is so simplistic yet effective. A small football ground is one of the easiest things you will ever build! Although still probably £10m for anything of that standard, which Dale clearly can't afford.

So basically you are saying we are buying the debt that's on the stadium. Which is? £700k or something along them lines?
Spotland on 17:06 - May 9 with 4033 views100569

I wholeheartedly agree with what you say. I have said for a few months now that the ground both inside and out is beginning to look tired. I can only hope that when we do own the stadium all these things will get some attention and we can move forward at the same pace as Keith Hill !
Spotland on 17:08 - May 9 with 4019 viewsboromat

Not a clue what it's worth.

The ground is run down and needs a splash of paint. The gents urinals in the main stand really annoy me really do need replacing before they fall off the wall.

In terms of what attracts players to Spotland. Its the opportunity to be given a chance to progress either as a young player or someone who has lost their way. Our record especially under Hill speaks for itself. Buckley, Murray, Holt, Lambert, Le Fondre, Dawson etc.
[Post edited 9 May 2015 17:30]

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Spotland on 17:30 - May 9 with 3956 viewsbeat_the_bishop

It's weird really. The divide between us and the top flight/top half championship clubs is just astonishing really. And it continues to grown and it's astounding to think that billion pound TV deal goes into all their already bulging pockets and all we want is some new urinals and a couple of grand spent at Dulux paint centre. If a club like city gave each Greater Manchester football league club £1m with the guarantee it has to be spent on the club in general not the playing staff just imagine what Dale could buy with that? £1m seems like nothing these days to the top flight yet we have never sold a player for that fee.

...yet, my city supporting friend was telling me last night that one of the players in the EDS squad was signed from Real Madrid at 14 year old for around £1.5m. I get a little sick come up into my mouth when you actually weigh up the situation... We really are the peasants of football and the premier league are the MP's happy to take all the cream time after time.

If we do buy the ground I look forward to a statement highlighting their plans. I feel our playoff chance this season suffered due to the ground situation, so I'm hoping it's worth it long term and assists the club in reaching 2015 off the field.
[Post edited 9 May 2015 17:31]
Spotland on 18:20 - May 9 with 3869 views442Dale

What exactly was said at the Shareholders AGM about the stadium? Any mention of an EGM?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Spotland on 22:04 - May 9 with 3636 viewsYorkshire_Dale

If you think it's bad now you should have seen it in the 1960/70's!

Open air pee-ing on the Wilbutts/Pearl Street corner while having a conversation with passers -by,............no need for cleaners, the rain washed away the stench.

Wooden telegraph poles for the flood lights and ashes to stand on......priceless.
Spotland on 22:21 - May 9 with 3597 viewsdalebolt

Spotland on 22:04 - May 9 by Yorkshire_Dale

If you think it's bad now you should have seen it in the 1960/70's!

Open air pee-ing on the Wilbutts/Pearl Street corner while having a conversation with passers -by,............no need for cleaners, the rain washed away the stench.

Wooden telegraph poles for the flood lights and ashes to stand on......priceless.

Those toilets were even better in the autumn, with all the leaves in the trough. NICE!!! Even the rain couldn't assist then.
Login to get fewer ads

Spotland on 22:26 - May 9 with 3586 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Spotland on 22:21 - May 9 by dalebolt

Those toilets were even better in the autumn, with all the leaves in the trough. NICE!!! Even the rain couldn't assist then.

We loved it though.......kids these days demand everything "right now".
Spotland on 22:46 - May 9 with 3549 viewsNinco

Where's all the money coming from to do up the ground? The club are trying to buy the rugby league and councils share in the stadium company, which would mean that instead of the football club owing 45% of the stadium company's debt, they would own 100% of the debt, so as soon as that contract is signed, the club will owe a fortune.

I would presume that if it does go ahead, the club will still keep a separate stadium company, although it would then be run by the club, as it makes sense. If the club was to go out of business, and the stadium isn't owned by a separate company, that would go too. I am guessing that things will continue as they are now with the club paying a rent fee to the separate stadium company then that rent fee would reduce the debt owed by the stadium company. I think it will be some time before the stadium company will be back in credit and will be able to invest in doing up the ground.
Spotland on 23:13 - May 9 with 3518 views49thseason

The value of the stadium is greater than the sum of its parts so once RAFC have control they can leverage loans against it. That money would allow a degree of expansion and modernisation of the facilities and income would rise accordingly. Currently there are no assets to borrow against and therefore everything has to be done out of revenue. Owning the stadium will give much more financial freedom and open up a number of income streams that are currently not possible (conference facilities, offices, storage etc.)

The delay has been caused (I understand) by RMBC wanting too short a repayment period on the debt (which RMBC currently underwrite) and the club trying to negotiate a longer repayment schedule.
Spotland on 00:12 - May 10 with 3466 views442Dale

Spotland on 22:26 - May 9 by Yorkshire_Dale

We loved it though.......kids these days demand everything "right now".

The ground was pretty much that way up until 1992. Nobody complained, it was part of the day.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Spotland on 08:57 - May 10 with 3322 viewsDomDale

I'll be glad when this saga is concluded, feels like forever since CD announced we were taking over the stadium.
I too hope the ground is tarted up. The bars, corporate areas, catering all need bringing into 2015. The Sandy IMO needs knocking down and rebuilding either as a proper steeped terrace or starting again with an all seater stand if we have realistic championship ambition.
The main thing I'd get out of the way though to help clear the Stad Co debt is to offer sponsorship galore. Some traditionalists will be dead set against renaming the ground but naming rights to a stadium is a potenital for income. I've also banged on for a while about us needing to get a "big screen" to advertise on (oh and show replays of contentious decisions). Something like Fleetwood's screen in the corner of the ground. It might cost £75k to build but over a 10 year life span imagine the revenue it would generate. Announcing the player sponsors, sponsored throw-ins etc, other in match advertising. No brainer.

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

Spotland on 08:59 - May 10 with 3319 viewsdingdangblue

Spotland on 22:46 - May 9 by Ninco

Where's all the money coming from to do up the ground? The club are trying to buy the rugby league and councils share in the stadium company, which would mean that instead of the football club owing 45% of the stadium company's debt, they would own 100% of the debt, so as soon as that contract is signed, the club will owe a fortune.

I would presume that if it does go ahead, the club will still keep a separate stadium company, although it would then be run by the club, as it makes sense. If the club was to go out of business, and the stadium isn't owned by a separate company, that would go too. I am guessing that things will continue as they are now with the club paying a rent fee to the separate stadium company then that rent fee would reduce the debt owed by the stadium company. I think it will be some time before the stadium company will be back in credit and will be able to invest in doing up the ground.

Isn't the debt to Rochdale Council? I would imagine Dale wanting to pay half the debt ,or something like that, to secure the stadium? Would the other alternative be the Stadium company going into administration and the council get nothing?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Spotland on 09:24 - May 10 with 3293 viewselectricblue

Spotland on 22:46 - May 9 by Ninco

Well havent dale got money from 2 decent fa cup runs..
Then money from the hogan and Done sales....
Afterall it costs peanuts to buy paint.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Spotland on 12:36 - May 10 with 3101 viewstazzydjr

If worse comes to worst we could always do a Morecambe and build a stadium somewhere like lenny barn

Real Views From A Real Football Fan...http://rochdaleawaydayreview.wordpress.com
Poll: Who's Rochdale's Best Centre Midfielder?

Spotland on 12:45 - May 10 with 3096 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Spotland on 12:36 - May 10 by tazzydjr

If worse comes to worst we could always do a Morecambe and build a stadium somewhere like lenny barn

The ground would be in a better shape if folk didn't go around kicking the walls..!!
Spotland on 13:30 - May 10 with 3054 viewsSwissdale

I would imagine that at least some of the stadium company debt is owed to Rochdale Football club, in situations where we have paid for essential works when the Rugby club couldn't afford it.

I think large scale changes such as big screen and sandy redevelopment would be quite a way off (though I agree both would certainly enhance the match day experience). Top priority upon acquisition would be to ensure current assets are invested in to start churning more money. Modernising the players lounge to become a decent local venue for parties, refitting the boxes to a decent standard so that they can be used for meeting / conference facilities...

I also think the club could start looking at non-football related ways to generate revenue out of the real estate. Clubs like Chesterfield seem to do this really well and have numerous different facilitates at the Pro-act. There is tons of derelict space in the Wilbutts Lane, how about making some retail space available there? (I'm sure the likes of Labrookes would kill to open a bookies up under the stand). The 5-a-side pitch is an absolute joke, why not use this area for an indoor pay per use play centre? This could tie in really well with a junior dale offering for parties etc. I've mentioned before a £1 per use cash point built in to one of the stands would be a great way of generating a few hundred quid a season, and would support the other things I've mentioned above.
[Post edited 10 May 2015 13:32]
Spotland on 13:51 - May 10 with 3022 viewsmingthemerciless

Spotland on 12:36 - May 10 by tazzydjr

You çan forget Lenny Barn. When they recently wanted to rebuild and reposition Falinge Park High School they found out it was covenanted land. Therefore they weren't allowed by law to use any of the land not already built on there.
Spotland on 07:43 - May 11 with 2774 viewsaleanddale

I agree with a lot of the OP posts but being an old un I remember ( with some fondness ) watching one game from three sides of the ground.

Stood up in front of the main stand.. In the sandy and of course by the railings in wilbuts.

The rain used to poor through the roof - might as well not had a roof!!

In comparison Spotland is now light years ahead but I do see what the OP is getting at.

I hope it is the Dale football boards forcing the councils hand a bit. There needs to be a complete rebrand of the whole club and when we finally own the whole stadium maybe then we can start to see some action*

*no excuse leaving the frost covers at the side of the pitch for weeks on end though. They will end up rotting left in that state!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024