Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Positives and negatives 19:19 - Feb 27 with 1459 views49thseason

On the assumption that few of us really thought KH would come back and we would suddenly become promotion candidates given what he had to work with, I thought perhaps a few positives and negatives from last night’s game would be worth looking at:
Positives:
1. Rose looks a very capable fullback
2. Lillis has gained some confidence
3. SCS has added solidity
4. Midfield seems to protect the defence more than previously especially with the return of BBM
5. The team plays better possession football
6. The play acting has largely disappeared
7. We play wider (but the penalty box is empty)
Negatives
1. Can’t score goals
2. Have stopped shooting from distance (and we never have under KH)
3. We don’t get bodies in the box
4. Gornell ‘s form has deteriorated
5. We have no credible target man as there is little discernable improvement in Donnelly
6. We still need a right back (Bennett doing OK but probably not the answer).
Generally
KH had to steady the ship AND root out the dead wood AND stop the play-acting AND create a new system for the team. It’s still very much a work in progress and whilst 0-3 is a drubbing I didn’t feel we were easily beaten and certainly couldn’t single anyone out for specific criticism.
The worry at the back of my mind is that KH is fixated on a system that hasn’t worked for him since about 10 games from the end of our promotion season including his time at Barnsley. Just maybe its time he went back to the basics of his early managerial career and stopped trying to turn average lower league players into world beaters and concentrated on getting them to play a simple system really well?
Positives and negatives on 19:39 - Feb 27 with 1403 viewsphomem

I think it's a case of survive the season and rebuild

In Keith I trust!
Positives and negatives on 19:50 - Feb 27 with 1378 views_dezzy

On the play acting bit,

Do we really think coleman told them to roll around, if so that is very unprofessional,

KHBA

Positives and negatives on 19:59 - Feb 27 with 1361 viewsColDale

Positives and negatives on 19:50 - Feb 27 by _dezzy

On the play acting bit,

Do we really think coleman told them to roll around, if so that is very unprofessional,

of course that was the plan. The plan both on the field and on the touchline was to try and influence the officials as much as possible to try and win those decisions which might be the small margin which wins us the game - the diving, the crowding round the ref, the arguing with the 4th official etc. No one has ever claimed that we have always been a team with the ethics of a Saint, but it was done with such regularity that fans just turned off. The tragedy behind it was that there was little proof that we actually benefited from doing so.
Positives and negatives on 20:06 - Feb 27 with 1342 viewsD_Alien

Positives and negatives on 19:59 - Feb 27 by ColDale

of course that was the plan. The plan both on the field and on the touchline was to try and influence the officials as much as possible to try and win those decisions which might be the small margin which wins us the game - the diving, the crowding round the ref, the arguing with the 4th official etc. No one has ever claimed that we have always been a team with the ethics of a Saint, but it was done with such regularity that fans just turned off. The tragedy behind it was that there was little proof that we actually benefited from doing so.

Add to that the fact we were so bloody poor at it - unprofessional indeed!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Positives and negatives on 20:13 - Feb 27 with 1324 viewsphomem

Positives and negatives on 19:59 - Feb 27 by ColDale

With grant being booked for diving when he was fouled and the pens we gave away I'd say we were shite at it
Positives and negatives on 01:24 - Feb 28 with 1200 viewspioneer

"The worry at the back of my mind is that KH is fixated on a system that hasn’t worked for him since about 10 games from the end of our promotion season including his time at Barnsley."

Didn't it work for him in the first season in League 1? We played some tremendous football and comfortably beat several 'big' teams.

Rebuilding always revolves around sorting out the defence first and by and large he has done that.
Positives and negatives on 01:35 - Feb 28 with 1195 viewsDaley_Lama

On simple terms for me.

I don't feel embarrased by watching us any more. I'm not embarrased by Accy beating us 3-0 last night, fair play to them, two great strikes decided the game.

I was embarrased watching us. Same as most, the feigning, the rolling around, possibly Ricardo was the first to react and got a bit of stick on here for it re: winkygate but as the season wore on, it was more and more prevelent.

That's my only "at least we're not..." thought.

Poll: DF in or out

Positives and negatives on 10:20 - Feb 28 with 1105 views49thseason

Positives and negatives on 01:24 - Feb 28 by pioneer

"The worry at the back of my mind is that KH is fixated on a system that hasn’t worked for him since about 10 games from the end of our promotion season including his time at Barnsley."

Didn't it work for him in the first season in League 1? We played some tremendous football and comfortably beat several 'big' teams.

Rebuilding always revolves around sorting out the defence first and by and large he has done that.

Yes I think I agree with that, I was thinking more about the end of our promotion year than the 1st year in L1 when he changed to 433 and we stuggled.
Login to get fewer ads

Positives and negatives on 11:04 - Feb 28 with 1078 viewsAtThePeake

Positives and negatives on 10:20 - Feb 28 by 49thseason

Yes I think I agree with that, I was thinking more about the end of our promotion year than the 1st year in L1 when he changed to 433 and we stuggled.

We didn't struggle playing 4-4-3 in the first year in L1 though. We achieved our joint highest finish ever.

Tangled up in blue.

Positives and negatives on 11:54 - Feb 28 with 1040 views49thseason

Positives and negatives on 11:04 - Feb 28 by AtThePeake

We didn't struggle playing 4-4-3 in the first year in L1 though. We achieved our joint highest finish ever.

Hence my comment above, I just think it takes time to assemble a team capable of playing that system. when currently we have the ongoing implementation of a new(ish) system with some new players, some quite young players and some fairly ordinary players in the squad. It kind of smacks of the end of the promotion season - decent football but no end result with the occasional disaster (Torquay away?). Having said that its far better than what was going on before KH returned.
We need to get over the line and finish the process of putting square pegs in the square holes ready for next season.
Positives and negatives on 12:16 - Feb 28 with 1007 viewsNerazzurri

Was it really far better than under Coleman? Or are people analysing the tiniest of things to take crumbs of comfort?

What was different on Tuesday night as opposed to the 1-0 home defeats by Burton and Wimbledon?

I'm pleased that we look a lot more solid and understand that this has probably taken something away from our attacking play but I've been generally underwhelmed by what I have seen since Keith Hill has been back.

It all looks good on paper, good signings, more solid but I'm not really feeling it on the pitch. We look so laboured and just don't seem to pose a threat. The Chesterfield game took the customary wonder goal to get us a point, the Torquay game was quite dull after a promising start and Tuesday was just boring!

Roll on next season hopefully with Hill at the helm and a summer to build his own squad.

Forza Nerazzurri

Positives and negatives on 15:09 - Feb 28 with 890 viewsStudiousDale

Positive - Hill is here
- He isn't setting the world alight, so hopefully will sign a 2 year deal in the summer. He has a lot of scope for changing the squad in the summer.

I'd much prefer this than for us to finish 8th and for him to leave us come the end of the season.
Positives and negatives on 15:21 - Feb 28 with 879 viewsaleanddale

Positives and negatives on 15:09 - Feb 28 by StudiousDale

Positive - Hill is here
- He isn't setting the world alight, so hopefully will sign a 2 year deal in the summer. He has a lot of scope for changing the squad in the summer.

I'd much prefer this than for us to finish 8th and for him to leave us come the end of the season.

Dont worry Studios!!

there is no chance of finishing 8th!!

seriously though lets get a win under our belt and then get over the 50 point mark.

Hilly is learning more and more about the squad with every passing day.

Grant coming back is Huge. we all know what he can bring to the team. Hopefully Henderson can add some presence and and some firepower up front.

Positives and negatives on 16:17 - Feb 28 with 837 viewsSalwaDale

Positives and negatives on 01:35 - Feb 28 by Daley_Lama

On simple terms for me.

I don't feel embarrased by watching us any more. I'm not embarrased by Accy beating us 3-0 last night, fair play to them, two great strikes decided the game.

I was embarrased watching us. Same as most, the feigning, the rolling around, possibly Ricardo was the first to react and got a bit of stick on here for it re: winkygate but as the season wore on, it was more and more prevelent.

That's my only "at least we're not..." thought.

This is so true. I wasn't one who wanted Coleman out as I thought things could get even worse (although I did want rid for the current manager). I did hate what we had become and I actually quite enjoyed the way we tried to play on Tuesday and I was entertained again. And that is all I really want, I'd lost so much love for the Dale since Hill left. Got it back now and looking forward to Morecambe.

TBBT

Positives and negatives on 16:25 - Feb 28 with 823 viewsD_Alien

Lets not forget that we had some very ordinary performances under KH whilst he built the squad during the latter part of 2006/7 and then through to 2009/10

We all remember very fondly the great victories but for instance, the 7-2 at Stockport was followed by a 0-3 reverse at Shrewsbury.

Even on the verge of promotion, we had the 0-1 defeat at home to Darlington who went out of the league!

What I'm getting at is that last Tuesday fits into a category of game/result that wasn't unknown during Hilly's previous spell, so its quite wrong to be thinking negatively about his impact in such a short space of time. Lets also not forget that he'd been familiar with the squad he inherited through his role at the club, as part of the Dale family under Steve Parkin.

We do need to get a couple of wins under our belt, and I'm sure no-one is more aware of that than KH.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Positives and negatives on 16:41 - Feb 28 with 796 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Positives and negatives on 16:25 - Feb 28 by D_Alien

Lets not forget that we had some very ordinary performances under KH whilst he built the squad during the latter part of 2006/7 and then through to 2009/10

We all remember very fondly the great victories but for instance, the 7-2 at Stockport was followed by a 0-3 reverse at Shrewsbury.

Even on the verge of promotion, we had the 0-1 defeat at home to Darlington who went out of the league!

What I'm getting at is that last Tuesday fits into a category of game/result that wasn't unknown during Hilly's previous spell, so its quite wrong to be thinking negatively about his impact in such a short space of time. Lets also not forget that he'd been familiar with the squad he inherited through his role at the club, as part of the Dale family under Steve Parkin.

We do need to get a couple of wins under our belt, and I'm sure no-one is more aware of that than KH.

.....agree,don't forget under Hilly earlier this season,Barnsley walloped Brum against all odds.

Wierd results are us.
Positives and negatives on 16:56 - Feb 28 with 775 viewsTalkingSutty

Lets not forget Hilly does have form for poor end of season form, if you know what i mean. Lets hope he bucks that trend this season.
Positives and negatives on 17:36 - Feb 28 with 747 viewsShun

Good post. I agree especially with the bit regarding Hill's role as youth team manager prior to him taking the job last time, meaning he knew the players and the staff then - a luxury he doesn't have this time.
Positives and negatives on 23:16 - Feb 28 with 634 viewsNotEyreClue

Negative:

He didn't bring Sir David Philip Perkins back with him from Baaaarnsley.

The modern pioneer of mealy mouthed bollocks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024