Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watching Portsmouth 09:46 - Mar 24 with 1774 viewsSaintNick

They have Port Vale at Fratton park tomorrow, does anyone ever go to see them anymore when Saints havent got a gate, I know back in the 1950/60's etc it was common for fans of both teams to watch each others games and that was the case around the country.

I also know Saints fans these days who will go if they have a soft spot for the opposition,

Back in the 1980's it was till common for a minority of fans to pop along every now and then if they had decent opposition

But today rivalry is more polarised, so does anyone ever pop down to see them if they have a spare afternoon

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Watching Portsmouth on 10:06 - Mar 24 with 1735 viewsPatfromPoole

I used to go in the away end at Fratton fairly regularly in the 90’s.

I can remember supporting Sunderland twice, Bristol City, Notts County and a few others.

It was great fun.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Watching Portsmouth on 11:04 - Mar 24 with 1692 viewsNYC_Saint

I think at some teams it's quite common. When I first moved to London for work my boss was a Chelsea season ticket holder (this is pre Abramovic) but didn't travel to away games. On away weekends he would go to Loftus Road and watch QPR - 30!years on he still does. He said a lot of Chelsea fans still do it to this day, however, there is no reciprocal QPR fans watching Chelsea. If I lived back home again I'd probably be happy to go and watch Bournemouth every now and then as I have a few friends that are supporters.
Watching Portsmouth on 12:30 - Mar 24 with 1623 viewsfranniesTache

back in the 90's i used to know a fair few who didn't do aways who'd do bournemouth one week and saints the next, it was probably part of the reason most saints fans like bournemouth and feel no animosity towards them.

Personally living in london i've done a few london games as a casual observer because friends have offered me tickets, but watching football isn't really the same if you don't care about the sides in my experience.
Watching Portsmouth on 13:45 - Mar 24 with 1568 viewssaints__fan__73

My grandparents family used to have s/ts at both The Dell and Fratton Park in the 40s/50s so they could watch football every weekend.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Watching Portsmouth on 13:55 - Mar 24 with 1561 viewsSaintNick

Watching Portsmouth on 12:30 - Mar 24 by franniesTache

back in the 90's i used to know a fair few who didn't do aways who'd do bournemouth one week and saints the next, it was probably part of the reason most saints fans like bournemouth and feel no animosity towards them.

Personally living in london i've done a few london games as a casual observer because friends have offered me tickets, but watching football isn't really the same if you don't care about the sides in my experience.

I find that these days if I havent got an investment in the game, I don't mean money I rarely bet, but I need to have an interest in the team or the result to watch it on tv these days

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Watching Portsmouth on 13:58 - Mar 24 with 1554 viewseastlondonsaint

Personally... I would prefer to sh+t in my hands and clap.

"Sit down Bullseye"

Watching Portsmouth on 14:21 - Mar 24 with 1546 views1ASIN12

Watching Portsmouth on 10:06 - Mar 24 by PatfromPoole

I used to go in the away end at Fratton fairly regularly in the 90’s.

I can remember supporting Sunderland twice, Bristol City, Notts County and a few others.

It was great fun.

I went in the 90’s a couple of times to see Wolves , Stoke and Barnsley and as you say in the away end .

They won’t admit it but they were getting 9000 crowds back then .
Watching Portsmouth on 14:42 - Mar 24 with 1531 viewsBLEEDRED

Watching Portsmouth on 13:45 - Mar 24 by saints__fan__73

My grandparents family used to have s/ts at both The Dell and Fratton Park in the 40s/50s so they could watch football every weekend.

Even in the 60's fans had season tickets for both clubs. I was based in Portsmouth in the 70's and free tickets were made available to many games (something their fans deny to this day) I went to a few games on the back of free tickets!!
Login to get fewer ads

Watching Portsmouth on 14:50 - Mar 24 with 1524 viewsBerber

Watching Portsmouth on 12:30 - Mar 24 by franniesTache

But in those days, you could get into almost any area. Most grounds used to have an area where genial, witty and knowledgeable local fans would congregate, and you could have a great time with the crack on, even if the footy was iffy.
Watching Portsmouth on 15:34 - Mar 24 with 1498 viewsBuggalugs

Watching Portsmouth on 13:55 - Mar 24 by SaintNick

I find that these days if I havent got an investment in the game, I don't mean money I rarely bet, but I need to have an interest in the team or the result to watch it on tv these days

Same. I watch hardly any football on tv anymore and don't even bother with the goals/highlights a lot of the time.

I have however had a bit of a push over the last 2-3 seasons of chalking off grounds I've not been to before when Saints don't have a game. Been to Wycombe, Crawley, Exeter, Forest Green, Wimbledon, Bolton, Bradford and Accrington....probably half of which were in with the away fans. Apart from an entertaining 3-3 draw at Wycombe, every other game was a tough watch. Still enjoy the days out though, which only reinforces the actual football is secondary.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Watching Portsmouth on 15:57 - Mar 24 with 1475 viewsChesham_Saint

Been a coupe of times to the leper colony to see them play Man City (when they were shit and still beat them) and also enjoyed standing in the fratton end one New Year's Eve when they contrived to lose 1-4 to Fulham. Also made the effort to see them play Aldershot and Watford away which was a bit surreal.

My mate's dad had season tickets at Saints and the Skates back in the 60s/70s.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Watching Portsmouth on 18:16 - Mar 24 with 1365 views1teeminants

My brother and I used to pop down in the mid 70’s now and again just to watch a game if saints weren’t playing. I wanted them to lose of course but I wouldn’t give them the time of day now.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Watching Portsmouth on 09:45 - Mar 25 with 1161 viewsGasGiant

Watching Portsmouth on 18:16 - Mar 24 by 1teeminants

My brother and I used to pop down in the mid 70’s now and again just to watch a game if saints weren’t playing. I wanted them to lose of course but I wouldn’t give them the time of day now.

I've watched all the Hampshire teams in my time - Southampton, Pompey, Bournemouth and Aldershot. I've got friends who support each of them and always had a good time watching them, before and after the games. I've never done the hatred thing - quite frankly it's pathetic coming out of the mouths of adults.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024