Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
WTF does this mean? 07:16 - May 11 with 2662 viewssaintwizzler

#WeMarchOn

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

WTF does this mean? on 08:00 - May 11 with 2616 viewsTripleNiemi

It means Ralphy baby will be allowed to have his photo taken whilst signing the contracts and shaking hands with the new recruit(s) queuing up to join.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

WTF does this mean? on 08:52 - May 11 with 2539 viewsSaintNick

It means exactly what they said when they arrived, that they wont be spending £50 million on a player etc, but will be fine tuning the system Saints have been running for the last 60 years.

That of finding players under the radar and cheaply and eventually selling them on to fund further purchases.

This is the only way we can survive in the Premier League, even if we spent £200 million this summer this would probably only see us vying for 8th place, so for most clubs big spending is a wate of time, they can't match the spending and pulling power of what was the top 6 and now with Newcastle is becoming 7.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

WTF does this mean? on 09:19 - May 11 with 2506 viewssaints__fan__73

Meet the new owners. Same as the old owners.

I assume what will happen is that, now we have finally ridded ourselves of Reed's financial millstones, we can go back to what Gao was doing in buying a couple of £15m players each window in the hope we may be able to flog them to a big team for £50m+ in 2 season's time if they don't turn out to be as inept as Hoedt/Lemina/Boufal/Gabbiadini/Carrillo.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

WTF does this mean? on 09:50 - May 11 with 2459 viewsRon11

WTF does this mean? on 09:19 - May 11 by saints__fan__73

I assume what will happen is that, now we have finally ridded ourselves of Reed's financial millstones, we can go back to what Gao was doing in buying a couple of £15m players each window in the hope we may be able to flog them to a big team for £50m+ in 2 season's time if they don't turn out to be as inept as Hoedt/Lemina/Boufal/Gabbiadini/Carrillo.

And continue to be completely baffled by Hassenhutl's starting line ups, tactics and substitutions.
WTF does this mean? on 10:44 - May 11 with 2421 viewsSaintNick

Essentially what we have done for the last 60 years, so who would you suggest we get, owners like Burnley who leverage the club up with debt ? owners like Newcastle who are tainted with blood ? Owners like Chelsea and Abramovich ?

Truth is there are at least 7 clubs far richer than the rest and then the likes of Everton & Villa who spend a lot but spend it badly

WTF does this mean? on 11:19 - May 11 with 2389 viewsMytchettSaint

WTF does this mean? on 09:50 - May 11 by Ron11

And continue to be completely baffled by Hassenhutl's starting line ups, tactics and substitutions.

And thar for me is the real danger we face next season.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

WTF does this mean? on 11:30 - May 11 with 2362 viewsSonicBoom

Why would anyone buy a PL club? If you don't have the money of the top 7 then you are in danger of being relegated. If you are relegated then you will lose most of your money.
For a smart businessman it seems a massive risk. I wouldn't do it.
WTF does this mean? on 11:30 - May 11 with 2361 viewsSaintNick

WTF does this mean? on 11:19 - May 11 by MytchettSaint

And thar for me is the real danger we face next season.

Give Hasenhuttl experienced coaching staff that he can consult and who can counsel him instead of two ex goalkeepers and another who has only coached at non league or youth level and we would see a big change

Login to get fewer ads

WTF does this mean? on 11:37 - May 11 with 2353 viewssaints__fan__73

WTF does this mean? on 10:44 - May 11 by SaintNick

Essentially what we have done for the last 60 years, so who would you suggest we get, owners like Burnley who leverage the club up with debt ? owners like Newcastle who are tainted with blood ? Owners like Chelsea and Abramovich ?

Truth is there are at least 7 clubs far richer than the rest and then the likes of Everton & Villa who spend a lot but spend it badly

Actually no, it's not what we have done for the last 60 years.

From the time I started supporting Saints in the late 70s up until Reed/Krueger took control what we did was buy players we thought would best improve us on the pitch, win more games and thus improve our league position.

What Kreuger started (and the new lot seem to be continuing) is try and use some form of baseball Moneyball 'player trading' strategy to 'game the market' where the end goal is actually to buy a player you can sell in 2 years for a tidy profit.

Sadly as well as this works in baseball I can't see any indication it will work in football. Certainly none of our previous £10m-£20m buys post Koeman have worked in the way intended.

This way of working also means the only players who fit the correct category who we can afford are young, unproven players we are 'taking a punt on'. This is exactly the reason why you constantly bemoan the fact we have 'no leaders on the pitch'...

WTF does this mean? on 11:48 - May 11 with 2340 viewsBerber

WTF does this mean? on 11:37 - May 11 by saints__fan__73

Actually no, it's not what we have done for the last 60 years.

From the time I started supporting Saints in the late 70s up until Reed/Krueger took control what we did was buy players we thought would best improve us on the pitch, win more games and thus improve our league position.

What Kreuger started (and the new lot seem to be continuing) is try and use some form of baseball Moneyball 'player trading' strategy to 'game the market' where the end goal is actually to buy a player you can sell in 2 years for a tidy profit.

Sadly as well as this works in baseball I can't see any indication it will work in football. Certainly none of our previous £10m-£20m buys post Koeman have worked in the way intended.

This way of working also means the only players who fit the correct category who we can afford are young, unproven players we are 'taking a punt on'. This is exactly the reason why you constantly bemoan the fact we have 'no leaders on the pitch'...

So for the past 40 years then (not the 60 Nick cited) we have been operating a model for failure? I think not. It won’t work every season for perpetuity, but it is a better scenario that taking the risk on more expensive players that may our may not actually improve the performances. We just need more players that are likely to develop well into the pipeline. Which is what I am anticipating for the most part, along with occasional top ups into key roles, like getting a proper striker.

I do agree however with comments elsewhere that RH needs to up his game tactically.
WTF does this mean? on 12:04 - May 11 with 2334 viewssaints__fan__73

WTF does this mean? on 11:48 - May 11 by Berber

So for the past 40 years then (not the 60 Nick cited) we have been operating a model for failure? I think not. It won’t work every season for perpetuity, but it is a better scenario that taking the risk on more expensive players that may our may not actually improve the performances. We just need more players that are likely to develop well into the pipeline. Which is what I am anticipating for the most part, along with occasional top ups into key roles, like getting a proper striker.

I do agree however with comments elsewhere that RH needs to up his game tactically.

What are examples of players we bought in the 80s up until Koeman left which were bought for the main aim of selling in two years time for a profit?

WTF does this mean? on 12:08 - May 11 with 2329 viewsdwayne_dibley

basically like a lot of former PL clubs Southampton are in a slow terminal decline

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

WTF does this mean? on 13:03 - May 11 with 2255 viewsA1079

WTF does this mean? on 10:44 - May 11 by SaintNick

On that basis then Nick, beyond the financial gain of being in the PL (and if you put that to one side) from a competitive point of view, would you say there is any point in being in the PL if we (and some other similar clubs) can never hope to realistically challenge on and off the pitch and we can expect to see us lose more than we win and likely to be trounced several times a season?
WTF does this mean? on 13:49 - May 11 with 2194 viewsBuggalugs

WTF does this mean? on 13:03 - May 11 by A1079

On that basis then Nick, beyond the financial gain of being in the PL (and if you put that to one side) from a competitive point of view, would you say there is any point in being in the PL if we (and some other similar clubs) can never hope to realistically challenge on and off the pitch and we can expect to see us lose more than we win and likely to be trounced several times a season?

Not for me. The Premier League is rotten to the core and it's pretty pointless us being there. We massively over-achieved in the Poch/Koeman years and got lucky with the gems the Black Box unearthed over that period, but unless you have serious investment, you can't keep hold of those players/managers and end up back at square one. Re-investing is really not sustainable as it's near on impossible to compete with all the other clubs in Europe for under the radar talent. Our failures to successfully re-invest all the money our sales produced see's us where we are today.

As a fan I want my club to achieve as much as it possibly can, but when you know you're just making up the numbers in the "Greatest League in the World", what's the point?

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

WTF does this mean? on 14:05 - May 11 with 2185 views1885_SFC

WTF does this mean? on 13:49 - May 11 by Buggalugs

Not for me. The Premier League is rotten to the core and it's pretty pointless us being there. We massively over-achieved in the Poch/Koeman years and got lucky with the gems the Black Box unearthed over that period, but unless you have serious investment, you can't keep hold of those players/managers and end up back at square one. Re-investing is really not sustainable as it's near on impossible to compete with all the other clubs in Europe for under the radar talent. Our failures to successfully re-invest all the money our sales produced see's us where we are today.

As a fan I want my club to achieve as much as it possibly can, but when you know you're just making up the numbers in the "Greatest League in the World", what's the point?

My thoughts exactly mate.

Even though we're in the Premier League, wealthy, bigger teams have - and always will do - pick our best young players and make us weaker.

Even if we were in the Championship it would be the same ; mid-to-lower Premier League sides come along & rob your best players.

Saints will never be owned by someone with more money than they know what to do with. We're not big enough & we don't have the history. I accept that we are currently just a feeder club to the 'big boys' - but the time has come now where I am bored & fed up with us being that kind of model club. After so many years of the same old, same old, it's quite frankly... boring.

Old School is Cool

WTF does this mean? on 14:15 - May 11 with 2166 viewssaints__fan__73

WTF does this mean? on 13:49 - May 11 by Buggalugs

We had a chance to rid ourselves of the Big boys with the ESL but for some reasons the fans didn't want it.

When you say Blackbox, you mean Koeman, yes?

WTF does this mean? on 14:28 - May 11 with 2133 viewsChesham_Saint

Exactly. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

I was unimpressed when they came in and have seen nothing to change that opinion. I find it hard to believe that a club with the potential (including geographical location) of SFC couldn’t find a wealthier owner.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

WTF does this mean? on 16:50 - May 11 with 2009 viewsBerber

WTF does this mean? on 12:04 - May 11 by saints__fan__73

What are examples of players we bought in the 80s up until Koeman left which were bought for the main aim of selling in two years time for a profit?

I am using the timescales you referred to in your post. 😂
WTF does this mean? on 17:51 - May 11 with 1946 viewsMytchettSaint

WTF does this mean? on 11:30 - May 11 by SaintNick

Give Hasenhuttl experienced coaching staff that he can consult and who can counsel him instead of two ex goalkeepers and another who has only coached at non league or youth level and we would see a big change

Alternatively, get a manager/head coach who has a bit of tactical nous and flexibility when it comes to reading a game and you would also see a big change.

Stick with Ralph and this time next year, we’ll be having the same conversations we’re having now and have been having since March….just like last season in fact.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

WTF does this mean? on 17:58 - May 11 with 1941 viewssaint68

WTF does this mean? on 11:30 - May 11 by SaintNick

Sammy Lee

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

WTF does this mean? on 20:21 - May 15 with 1551 viewsAndylad63

Sammy Lee's not a bad shout
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024