Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan 18:20 - Feb 14 with 2226 viewsHappy_Jack

This will be age dependant but what was your dagger through the heart moment?
The Adrian Heath winner in the 84 semi-final for me nothing has come close since

Millbrook Furnishing shop floor level banter
Poll: Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been?

Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 18:22 - Feb 14 with 2218 viewsgrumpy

I remember it well.
Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 18:27 - Feb 14 with 2208 viewsfranniesTache

Yup that's mine too, young enough to really believe it might happen but not old enough to know that Saints would let me down.
Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 18:32 - Feb 14 with 2200 viewsgrumpy

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't there a doubt over Steve Williams fitness for that game?
Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 19:16 - Feb 14 with 2150 viewsPatfromPoole

I wasn’t at the Adrian Heath game, was a bit too young.

Mine would probably be between:

- losing the League Cup Final to United
- the humiliation at Fratton
- Marcus Bent goal
- Everton’s 96th minute equaliser (Hoedt one goal)
- Tranmere (though I wasn’t at the game, whereas I was with the others)

Everton appear to be a fairly constant theme...
[Post edited 14 Feb 2020 19:17]

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 19:19 - Feb 14 with 2141 viewsTheMoog

Losing in extra time in the ‘86 semi for me. Having a rugby playing dad from Surrey I didn’t really become aware of Saints until after the centenary so don’t really have any recollection of ‘84.

Standby to standby

Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 19:21 - Feb 14 with 2134 viewsSaintsforeverj

Both relegations. That Tranmere game. Biggest gut wrenching for me though, was the recent cup final - That disallowed goal.

So close to our first cup win for so many years.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2020 19:28]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 19:30 - Feb 14 with 2120 viewsWints76

Everton in 84, though I was only 10 and my old man wouldn't take me

Spurs at home in the cup in 94/5 when we lost from 2-0 up

Villa at home in first relegation season when we capitulated at 2-0 up. Knew then we were going down

League Cup final, but more for my youngest son's reaction. When Zlatan scored, it was as if my lad had been filleted. He virtually collapsed. Was more upset for him than me.

Spurs last week wasn't good for me. Very pissed off on train home. I am sick of glorious failure. Would happily win a cup in a shithouse way and compare and contrast my feelings with playing really well and losing.
Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 19:49 - Feb 14 with 2091 viewsCity_boy

Agree - Semi against Everton and the 5-2 defeat against Watford in League Cup (2004).
Login to get fewer ads

Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 20:01 - Feb 14 with 2068 viewsRonManager

Some coont knicking my scarf that my Gran had knitted, on Hill Lane when I was 12.

I'm over it now.

Honestly.

I can remember when the internet was all fields

Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 20:04 - Feb 14 with 2061 viewsPatfromPoole

Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 19:30 - Feb 14 by Wints76

Everton in 84, though I was only 10 and my old man wouldn't take me

Spurs at home in the cup in 94/5 when we lost from 2-0 up

Villa at home in first relegation season when we capitulated at 2-0 up. Knew then we were going down

League Cup final, but more for my youngest son's reaction. When Zlatan scored, it was as if my lad had been filleted. He virtually collapsed. Was more upset for him than me.

Spurs last week wasn't good for me. Very pissed off on train home. I am sick of glorious failure. Would happily win a cup in a shithouse way and compare and contrast my feelings with playing really well and losing.

Yes, of course, that Villa game.

You are also right about Spurs last week. I am still gutted about that.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 20:15 - Feb 14 with 2045 viewsTheMoog

Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 20:01 - Feb 14 by RonManager

Some coont knicking my scarf that my Gran had knitted, on Hill Lane when I was 12.

I'm over it now.

Honestly.

I used to hide my King Edwards blazer in a carrier bag somewhere down Hill Lane if I went to an evening game straight from school having been bullied rotten the first time I naively went down in full clobber. Working class kids picking on a working class kid for doing well probably went some way to forming the views I have now.

Standby to standby

Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 20:23 - Feb 14 with 2035 viewsRonManager

Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 20:15 - Feb 14 by TheMoog

I used to hide my King Edwards blazer in a carrier bag somewhere down Hill Lane if I went to an evening game straight from school having been bullied rotten the first time I naively went down in full clobber. Working class kids picking on a working class kid for doing well probably went some way to forming the views I have now.

If I'd worn my Peter Symonds uniform I'd never have made it south of Shawford, lol.

I can remember when the internet was all fields

Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 20:37 - Feb 14 with 2020 viewsIngskneeslide

Any of the ones mentioned from the 90s onwards for me. Also strongly remember the sense of injustice when Shipperley had that goal disallowed at Old Trafford in the cup in 96. I doubt we would’ve won anyway, but realising how fundamentally unfair football is when you’re young is never a good experience.
Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 20:48 - Feb 14 with 1995 viewsthis_charming_man

Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 20:37 - Feb 14 by Ingskneeslide

Any of the ones mentioned from the 90s onwards for me. Also strongly remember the sense of injustice when Shipperley had that goal disallowed at Old Trafford in the cup in 96. I doubt we would’ve won anyway, but realising how fundamentally unfair football is when you’re young is never a good experience.

I was at the game, we were brilliant that night and typically a bad decision robbed us.

Oldham at home in the league cup was gutting too, lucky equalizer in the 4th minute of injury time, everyone knew we’d lose the reply on the plastic pitch.

84 I was only 7 but listened to the game on the radio, I had got into saints that season. The gateway to a lifetime of heroic failures opened up in front of me.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 20:57 - Feb 14 with 1976 views1teeminants

Top 3 for me

1 Adrian Heaths goal in the semi , no way back .

2. Losing 3-2 to Forest in the league cup final 1979

3. Losing to Man U in the league cup final again 3-2 .2017

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 00:57 - Feb 15 with 1899 viewsdarthvader

Inchi heaths goal . That hurt like hell and for ages too.

Darren bent equaliser (again everton tut) .

The united winner at wembly after we came back and played so well, i was convinced ,despite how utterly wänkered i was, that we would win . It felt like a dagger straight in my drunken soul .

We were cheated out of that against a more popular side . Much like last week . That hurt too ,but when ings scored our second i had seconds of flash foward visions of us winning the cup.

The emotional stress of watching saints is what will end me one day ...but as depeche mode once sang ...i just cant get enough.

keep the faith coyr

Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 10:57 - Feb 15 with 1773 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

You lot can't really complain about the League Cup final. Man Utd got their own back for the offside goal 40 years earlier. Even Clive Thomas said he thought the goal was offside.

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 11:11 - Feb 15 with 1764 viewsChesham_Saint

Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 20:23 - Feb 14 by RonManager

If I'd worn my Peter Symonds uniform I'd never have made it south of Shawford, lol.

You should have tried rocking up to the Dell in a PortsMouth Grammar School blazer in the 70’s..!

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 11:25 - Feb 15 with 1756 viewskernow

Most gut wrenching moment ?
Too many to recall and best forgotten about.
Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 11:35 - Feb 15 with 1746 viewsMeonsaint

Aged 13 watching Anderlecht at home in 77, had them on toast 2-0 up, Milton End erupting after Macdougall volleyed one in from the 6 yard box. Anderlecht players looked terrified as the Dell was absolutely rocking that night and we were going through on away goals then utter misery when Jim Steele gave the ball away for their goal. It was the same night as Chris Nicholl scored the winner for Villa in the League Cup final as my Dad was listening on the car radio on the way home to try and distract me from my painful disappointment.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2020 11:37]
Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 11:40 - Feb 15 with 1738 viewseastlondonsaint

Yeap - easily the Adrian Heath winner at Highbury. Though, Everton getting the crap booted out of them all over the pitch cheered me up no end. (Not that I condone that sort of behaviour these days 'cough')

"Sit down Bullseye"

Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 12:18 - Feb 15 with 1703 viewsFonzerelli_jnr

Your most gut wrenching moment as a Saints fan on 20:15 - Feb 14 by TheMoog

We used to bunk out at lunchtime (we were banned from leaving the school grounds at that time) and run down in full uniform to buy tickets and desperately race back before lessons restarted. The 'men' in the queue used to be great, they seemed to always know we were against the clock and would let us go to the front of the queue. Some of the teachers knew what we were doing and turned a blind eye. Particularly the one that was a Chelsea fan and would always ask us to buy him a ticket too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024