Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? 18:00 - Nov 17 with 9140 viewsLohengrin

Given that Wales are enjoying the best start to a qualifying campaign for a generation and with the resultant surge in interest what are the odds The Welsh FA will switch the remaining home fixtures from Malaygoland to The Millennium?

Demand is bound to far outstrip supply and the association that continually bleats about being on its arse wouldn't willingly throw away hundreds of thousands of pounds, would it?

Does anybody know if they are tied in by contract and, if so, could there be an out?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 10:22 - Nov 18 with 1624 viewsLe_Swans

If what JBT95 says is true (I've no reason to doubt it) and they are looking to get a friendly with Argentina at the end of March in the Millennium Stadium then we must use that as a guide as to move any other game or not, if that is priced right and we only get about 50,000 then I wouldn't bother moving the Belgium game, as playing in a 3/4 full stadium will lose all atmosphere and any home advantage that we can get.

This could be our best chance at qualifying for many years, why risk it to get extra money in one game against Belgium, the players are happy in the CCS, used to the environment and the atmosphere at games is getting better and better, if we get a result against Belgium it could set us up for second in the group. There is far more money to be made for the FAW if we actually qualify for a tournament.
What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 10:51 - Nov 18 with 1593 viewsCatullus

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 10:22 - Nov 18 by Le_Swans

If what JBT95 says is true (I've no reason to doubt it) and they are looking to get a friendly with Argentina at the end of March in the Millennium Stadium then we must use that as a guide as to move any other game or not, if that is priced right and we only get about 50,000 then I wouldn't bother moving the Belgium game, as playing in a 3/4 full stadium will lose all atmosphere and any home advantage that we can get.

This could be our best chance at qualifying for many years, why risk it to get extra money in one game against Belgium, the players are happy in the CCS, used to the environment and the atmosphere at games is getting better and better, if we get a result against Belgium it could set us up for second in the group. There is far more money to be made for the FAW if we actually qualify for a tournament.

I can't take that comment seriously. You can't compare the draw of a friendly to a competitive match. especially in the circumstances.
And even though it's Argentina, I would have doubts about going anyway, purely on financial grounds. There will probably be some who wouldn't go because it's Argentina (Falklands and that banner the team held up) but I would save the money for the qualifier.
I don't go to Swans friendlies because money is tight, and I won't be alone, but like many others (I think) who don't do friendlies, I always find the money for my season.
If you want a real guide, the last time we went close to qualifying, the games went to the Millenium and prices were reasonable. Then we had crowds of 70,000 plus.
I even bought a season ticket and around 30 of us went on two minibuses from Neath. As far as I know, none of them go any more, though follow the Swans.
And there is no problem transferring seats from CCS, hell, give them upgrades to keep them happy.
What it boils down to is, will the move benefit us. Well the FAW could m ake more money, the WRU will make money, more people will support the team and, at least for the first few games, the atmosphere will be good.
If they got to play on Saturday at 3, all the better.

PS, anybody who thinks moving it down here a good idea, is off their head!
[Post edited 18 Nov 2014 10:52]

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 11:03 - Nov 18 with 1583 viewsLe_Swans

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 10:51 - Nov 18 by Catullus

I can't take that comment seriously. You can't compare the draw of a friendly to a competitive match. especially in the circumstances.
And even though it's Argentina, I would have doubts about going anyway, purely on financial grounds. There will probably be some who wouldn't go because it's Argentina (Falklands and that banner the team held up) but I would save the money for the qualifier.
I don't go to Swans friendlies because money is tight, and I won't be alone, but like many others (I think) who don't do friendlies, I always find the money for my season.
If you want a real guide, the last time we went close to qualifying, the games went to the Millenium and prices were reasonable. Then we had crowds of 70,000 plus.
I even bought a season ticket and around 30 of us went on two minibuses from Neath. As far as I know, none of them go any more, though follow the Swans.
And there is no problem transferring seats from CCS, hell, give them upgrades to keep them happy.
What it boils down to is, will the move benefit us. Well the FAW could m ake more money, the WRU will make money, more people will support the team and, at least for the first few games, the atmosphere will be good.
If they got to play on Saturday at 3, all the better.

PS, anybody who thinks moving it down here a good idea, is off their head!
[Post edited 18 Nov 2014 10:52]

That's why I stated it at about 50,000 and if the tickets were priced fairly, I would have thought that the prospect of people watching Messi and Bale on the same pitch would be quite appealing, much more so than the friendlies that we have. Now if there is a high demand for that then, yeah look at moving the Belgium game.

I went to all the qualifiers during the Hughes era and yes we did sell out and some games had great atmospheres, some didn't, especially the one that counted against Russia, until recently we have really struggled to get over 20,000 to games, it would be far better to have 30,000 fans creating an atmosphere in CCS, ones who have been there from the start of the campaign than have 40,000 extra plastic fans who probably wont add anything to the atmosphere and we end up playing in a soulless Millennium Stadium.

My point is that, its not worth upsetting the teams surroundings, where they are used to playing, for one game, when we have a real chance of actually qualifying for a tournament, and the FAW would gain far more money if we did.
What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 11:24 - Nov 18 with 1565 viewsSTEVE1

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 23:41 - Nov 17 by JBT95

Spain play at small grounds about the same size as the Liberty.

If they had bigger demand they could get bordering on 100k per game at the Nou Camp.

As has been seen INGURLAND can't sell out Wembley.

When you divide 3,063,456 (the official 2011 census population of Wales) by 74500 (the rough capacity of the Millennium Stadium) the answer is just over 41. So 1 in 41 people of the Welsh population filled that ground. I doubt there are many as well % of population countries supported international football teams about.

Iceland only get 20,000 crowds but that amounts to 6% of the population
What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 12:11 - Nov 18 with 1533 viewsJBT95

Basically people who have been recently want the CCS.

The people who don't know a thing about the set up and not been since 2003 want the Millennium.

Various points on this thread have been made that are completely nonsense.

The game will be on FRIDAY 12TH June 2015 at 2045 CET (1945 BST) at the CCS. FACT.

UEFA decided the fixture list, fixture dates & fixture times, all to do with TV deals. The associations have no input, the only thing they decide is where the game is to be played.

The FAW HAVE confirmed to the FSF Cymru group that there is 100% NO intention of moving the games on 12-06, 06-09 & 13-10-2015 away from the CCS.
What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 12:32 - Nov 18 with 1519 viewsChief

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 12:11 - Nov 18 by JBT95

Basically people who have been recently want the CCS.

The people who don't know a thing about the set up and not been since 2003 want the Millennium.

Various points on this thread have been made that are completely nonsense.

The game will be on FRIDAY 12TH June 2015 at 2045 CET (1945 BST) at the CCS. FACT.

UEFA decided the fixture list, fixture dates & fixture times, all to do with TV deals. The associations have no input, the only thing they decide is where the game is to be played.

The FAW HAVE confirmed to the FSF Cymru group that there is 100% NO intention of moving the games on 12-06, 06-09 & 13-10-2015 away from the CCS.

Not strictly true. Once the groups are drawn for qualifiers, the respective FA's meet up with each other to decide&negotiate when (within a framework priorly set out) they will play each other

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 12:46 - Nov 18 with 1509 viewsJBT95

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 12:32 - Nov 18 by Chief

Not strictly true. Once the groups are drawn for qualifiers, the respective FA's meet up with each other to decide&negotiate when (within a framework priorly set out) they will play each other

This just proves my point on people not knowing the set up .

That was the case before this campaign.

The draw was made in the morning of 23rd February when we played Liverpool away.
Before the game was over the fixture list had been confirmed. UEFA did it just like with the Europa League group draw / fixtures when we were in it.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2014 12:47]
What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 12:54 - Nov 18 with 1493 viewsChief

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 12:46 - Nov 18 by JBT95

The draw was made in the morning of 23rd February when we played Liverpool away.
Before the game was over the fixture list had been confirmed. UEFA did it just like with the Europa League group draw / fixtures when we were in it.

I stand corrected. I'll brush up on my trivial UEFA logistics / politics

Login to get fewer ads

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 12:57 - Nov 18 with 1483 viewsChief

Millennium should never have been built in Cardiff anyway. Aberystwyth, with a few improves transport links would have been far better and fairer for all Welsh supporters

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 13:00 - Nov 18 with 1481 viewsJackB4stard

President of the FAW said back in September that the games could be moved to the Millennium.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29061960
[Post edited 18 Nov 2014 13:01]
What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 14:03 - Nov 18 with 1426 viewsJBT95

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 13:00 - Nov 18 by JackB4stard

President of the FAW said back in September that the games could be moved to the Millennium.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29061960
[Post edited 18 Nov 2014 13:01]

In October, after the Cyprus game, the FAW told the FSF Cymru group games will not be moved away from the CCS.

See http://apostlewelshfootie.proboards.com/thread/3740/faw-today-minutes-available-
[Post edited 18 Nov 2014 14:11]
What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 14:38 - Nov 18 with 1403 viewsJackB4stard

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 14:03 - Nov 18 by JBT95

In October, after the Cyprus game, the FAW told the FSF Cymru group games will not be moved away from the CCS.

See http://apostlewelshfootie.proboards.com/thread/3740/faw-today-minutes-available-
[Post edited 18 Nov 2014 14:11]

"the FAW had no intention of moving the group games to the Millennium stadium" is completeley different to "0%" chance and it definitely doesn't mean that the FAW won't move the fixtures "no matter what" as you declared, especially when money is involved.
What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 16:07 - Nov 18 with 1364 viewsScoobyDoo

The only game i would move to the Miilenium would be the last game against Andorra if it was certain of qualification, the game would be a celebration which the whole of Wales would like to be part of. Until then we should stay as we are and hopefully progress to where we want to be.

That ain't no club bias, we are doing ok so why change it.
What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 16:13 - Nov 18 with 1356 viewsscottishjack

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 16:07 - Nov 18 by ScoobyDoo

The only game i would move to the Miilenium would be the last game against Andorra if it was certain of qualification, the game would be a celebration which the whole of Wales would like to be part of. Until then we should stay as we are and hopefully progress to where we want to be.

That ain't no club bias, we are doing ok so why change it.

I'm neutral when it comes to the Wales national side and I have to agree... On the playing side of things, it ain't broke, don't try fixing it!
What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 16:32 - Nov 18 with 1335 viewsEilian

A packed out CCS full of die hard Wales fans with under 2,000 away fans with a high quality pitch serves the national team far better than 70,000 johnny come latelys who have brought their wives and children because they got the tickets cheap all blowing those fuking voo voo zela things with 7,000 die hard Belgian or whoever fans out singing us on a cabbage patch of a football pitch.

Its a no brainier.
What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 17:20 - Nov 18 with 1315 viewsMrSwerve

JBT you sound like some people on here sounded when we got promoted to the Premier League and had a lot more fans jumping on the bandwagon. Football could be massive in this country if we show some signs of success. Just as when we were under Hughes, when we managed to pretty much fill the Millennium Stadium.

If we manage to qualify for the Euros, we really could see international football looking a lot like international rugby, which would be fantastic for Wales. We'll never progress if we stick with 10-15k 'hardcore' fans such as yourself.

The only thing against moving games to the Millennium Stadium would be the fact that it could disrupt our flow that we have at the moment.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 17:35 - Nov 18 with 1303 viewsJBT95

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 17:20 - Nov 18 by MrSwerve

JBT you sound like some people on here sounded when we got promoted to the Premier League and had a lot more fans jumping on the bandwagon. Football could be massive in this country if we show some signs of success. Just as when we were under Hughes, when we managed to pretty much fill the Millennium Stadium.

If we manage to qualify for the Euros, we really could see international football looking a lot like international rugby, which would be fantastic for Wales. We'll never progress if we stick with 10-15k 'hardcore' fans such as yourself.

The only thing against moving games to the Millennium Stadium would be the fact that it could disrupt our flow that we have at the moment.

Well I never said never to go back to the Millennium Stadium ever.

I seriously hope we can get a full, or a decent crowd at the Millennium again, and very soon. That would be fantastic.

But that's exactly what I want to avoid, a disruption to the current flow. By moving stadiums it would almost certainly disrupt the current flow.

Even if there's 70k+ plus there for this Tuesday night friendly vs Argentina in March with a cracking atmosphere, I'd still want the three remaining group home games to be played at the CCS to ensure we have everything going for us to reach France.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2014 17:36]
What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 18:12 - Nov 18 with 1274 viewsAquinas

The Belgium game has to be at the Mil stad.

Roof on, almost at capacity (cover most of the empty sections with a welsh flag), with the belgians up in a corner and the atmosphere will be fantastic.

The players will get a boost playing at the Mil stad because it will show that national support is rising and it will be the biggest stadium a lot of the younger lot will have played in.

Those who are calling people who are only taking interest in Wales again 'glory supporters'(after a terrible few years) are nearly as bad as the Cardiff fans who talk about us being too scared to follow Wales.

Together Stronger? Only if you've been to dozens of games in the past decade it seems.

It looks the like the Wales super fans' are scared that with the flourish of rekindled Welsh support will sweep their amazing, die-hard, fanatical support under the rug.

As someone mentioned, the more loyal fans will be getting tickets for Euro 2016 (provided we qualify). That is your reward. Don't chastise the welsh public who are taking an interest in their own national team.
What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 18:33 - Nov 18 with 1262 viewsmatt_the_jack

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 18:12 - Nov 18 by Aquinas

Roof on, almost at capacity (cover most of the empty sections with a welsh flag), with the belgians up in a corner and the atmosphere will be fantastic.

The players will get a boost playing at the Mil stad because it will show that national support is rising and it will be the biggest stadium a lot of the younger lot will have played in.

Those who are calling people who are only taking interest in Wales again 'glory supporters'(after a terrible few years) are nearly as bad as the Cardiff fans who talk about us being too scared to follow Wales.

Together Stronger? Only if you've been to dozens of games in the past decade it seems.

It looks the like the Wales super fans' are scared that with the flourish of rekindled Welsh support will sweep their amazing, die-hard, fanatical support under the rug.

As someone mentioned, the more loyal fans will be getting tickets for Euro 2016 (provided we qualify). That is your reward. Don't chastise the welsh public who are taking an interest in their own national team.

This debate still going on? Nice to see people taking an interest again I guess, but anyone who went to the Wales games at the Mill Stad in the latter years will tell you the atmopshere was awful.

The Belgium game will still be at the CCS for me, I don't want 10,000 Belgian fans in the away end either. As mentioned before Andorra home coincides with the Rugby World Cup, so I can't see it being played there.

And regarding another point, Spain would never play games at the Nou Camp

One again all Europe will hear, the Swansea City sound
Blog: Swans Away Days In Europe

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 18:41 - Nov 18 with 1256 viewssherpajacob

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 19:09 - Nov 17 by Lohengrin

It was in the Hughes era with a sensible pricing policy.

I remember paying £10 to see Wales beat Italy, when big john hartson terrorized maldini and nesta.
MS was sold out for matches against teams like Finland and Serbia.
Maybe faw should consider selling "season" tickets to cover all the remaining home matches

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 18:49 - Nov 18 with 1247 viewsDewi1jack

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 12:46 - Nov 18 by JBT95

Fixture list was provisionally confirmed that day.
The UK police forces/ Councils etc have the ultimate say on when a public event takes place.
They don't take decisions like that on the same day, sometimes not even the same week.
So no, it wasn't confirmed the day of the Liverpool game.
Before you have a pop at others for "not knowing the set up," I suggest you sort your own knowledge of public events out.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 18:58 - Nov 18 with 1232 viewsmatt_the_jack

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 18:41 - Nov 18 by sherpajacob

I remember paying £10 to see Wales beat Italy, when big john hartson terrorized maldini and nesta.
MS was sold out for matches against teams like Finland and Serbia.
Maybe faw should consider selling "season" tickets to cover all the remaining home matches

There were/are season tickets on sale. £75 for all 5 games

One again all Europe will hear, the Swansea City sound
Blog: Swans Away Days In Europe

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 20:02 - Nov 18 with 1187 viewsC_jack

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 18:12 - Nov 18 by Aquinas

The player have said they prefer playing in the CCS. It would be a terribly stupid decision to change that for the sake of a few quid, and not qualify. Which is why the FAW will probably do it.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 22:47 - Nov 18 with 1122 viewsAquinas

Don't really rate that type of art much, but I like the Jungle Book one.
What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 23:13 - Nov 18 with 1099 viewsblaenaugwentjack

What are the chances the Welsh FA will switch venue? on 20:02 - Nov 18 by C_jack

The player have said they prefer playing in the CCS. It would be a terribly stupid decision to change that for the sake of a few quid, and not qualify. Which is why the FAW will probably do it.

The FAW have moved venues before against players wish,s early 80,s i think? Wales were on a good run and playing and winning at wrexham, the FAW moved the remaining games to cardiff and the rest is history. Im not to keen on Wales playing at the ccs, but as others have said on here . if it broke dont fix it. And long term reward e.g qualification compared to short term gain e.g playing at the mil.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024