Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe-THROUGH APRIL 6 19:13 - Mar 3 with 2631 viewsTummer_from_Texas

UPDATED THROUGH APRIL 6 FIXTURES - I'm going to assume Man City wins today and re-claims 2nd in the table; moving Arsenal to #3 and Man U to #4.

I’ll continue to update this as long as the Swans are still mathematically in the chase for a Top 7 position in the table.

(5) Liverpool (8 points ahead of Swansea)
7 fixtures remaining:
* 3 home, 4 away
* 2 vs top half of the table, 5 vs bottom half
* opponent table average (i.e., a higher number is an easier schedule): 12.43

(6) Spurs (8 points ahead of Swansea)
7 fixtures remaining:
* 3 home, 4 away
* 3 vs top half of the table, 4 vs bottom half
* opponent table average: 10.86

(7) Southampton (7 points ahead of Swansea)
7 fixtures remaining:
* 3 home, 4 away
* opponent table average: 12.29

(8) Swansea
7 fixtures remaining:
* 3 home, 4 away
* opponent table average (i.e., a higher number is an easier schedule): 10.14

So to update the summary...well, unfortunately, all three of the teams who are within mathematical striking distance have an easier schedule remaining than Swansea, especially Liverpool, who only play two teams in the top half of the table (Chelsea and Stoke).

While Southampton seems to be the team people think we have the faintest hopes of catching, it's actually Spurs who have the more difficult schedule remaining.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2015 18:56]

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 19:15 - Mar 3 with 2621 viewsJackfath

Let's hope our roster are up for it.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 19:17 - Mar 3 with 2608 viewsAngelRangelQS

I can't see this happening.

Let's hope the masses don't go after Monk when it's not achieved
Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 19:34 - Mar 3 with 2549 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 19:17 - Mar 3 by AngelRangelQS

Indeed, I was a bit more hopeful after Saturday...until I saw that our remaining schedule is more difficult than the next two teams in front of us.

Obviously the next two fixtures are huge. If we can just get something, especially tomorrow, we then likely have one of the easiest schedules with 9 fixtures to go.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 19:49 - Mar 3 with 2509 viewsJethroJack

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 19:34 - Mar 3 by Tummer_from_Texas

Indeed, I was a bit more hopeful after Saturday...until I saw that our remaining schedule is more difficult than the next two teams in front of us.

Obviously the next two fixtures are huge. If we can just get something, especially tomorrow, we then likely have one of the easiest schedules with 9 fixtures to go.

What's all this stuff about easier & harder remaining schedules based on current league position? With respect, it doesn't mean a damn thing....don't forget, in this league, anybody can beat anybody, bottom can beat top, especially from now on when teams facing relegation may well be more "up for it" than those in a more comfortable position.
Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 19:56 - Mar 3 with 2485 viewsSwansNZ

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 19:49 - Mar 3 by JethroJack

What's all this stuff about easier & harder remaining schedules based on current league position? With respect, it doesn't mean a damn thing....don't forget, in this league, anybody can beat anybody, bottom can beat top, especially from now on when teams facing relegation may well be more "up for it" than those in a more comfortable position.

Southampton, Spurs and West Ham all have 5 of the bottom 6 to play - as you say, that does not mean those are easy games, far from it

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 20:00 - Mar 3 with 2477 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 19:49 - Mar 3 by JethroJack

Your opinion is duly noted, and yes I know that anyone CAN beat anyone.

But I still think we stand a better chance in our fixtures against Leicester and Aston Villa than we do against Man City and Arsenal. Otherwise, we wouldn't be surely solid favorites in the former and massive underdogs in the latter.

However, if you are correct, I suggest you bet a boatload on all the underdogs from here on out.

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 21:47 - Mar 3 with 2349 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Tell ya what - Leicester City is a 12/1 underdog to win against Man City tomorrow.

But obviously these oddsmakers don't realize (like you do) that league position "doesn't mean a damn thing" and "anybody can beat anybody." So how about we bet and you give me Man City straight up?

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 22:23 - Mar 3 with 2294 viewsLeonisGod

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 19:17 - Mar 3 by AngelRangelQS

Innit. Last time people started talking about Europe it all went tits up for a month. Mid-table will be a great season for us given all the changes pre-season and losing Wilf.
Login to get fewer ads

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 22:38 - Mar 3 with 2275 viewsazjack

Irrespective of opposition, I think any team that is both safe from relegation and highly unlikely to be making a run for the top four, must be very difficult to motivate. Aiming for the Europa seems more like a poisoned chalice to me but let GM continue to surprise me.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2015 22:39]
Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 22:42 - Mar 3 with 2266 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 22:23 - Mar 3 by LeonisGod

Innit. Last time people started talking about Europe it all went tits up for a month. Mid-table will be a great season for us given all the changes pre-season and losing Wilf.

So we should refrain from any conversation about moving up 1 or 2 spots in the table over the final 11 fixtures, lest people get their hopes up?

Are we that fragile?

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 23:59 - Mar 3 with 2179 viewsJethroJack

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 20:00 - Mar 3 by Tummer_from_Texas

Your opinion is duly noted, and yes I know that anyone CAN beat anyone.

But I still think we stand a better chance in our fixtures against Leicester and Aston Villa than we do against Man City and Arsenal. Otherwise, we wouldn't be surely solid favorites in the former and massive underdogs in the latter.

However, if you are correct, I suggest you bet a boatload on all the underdogs from here on out.

Not ALL the underdogs, but maybe one or two....even that'll be enough to upset your analysis
Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 00:03 - Mar 4 with 2174 viewsJethroJack

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 21:47 - Mar 3 by Tummer_from_Texas

Tell ya what - Leicester City is a 12/1 underdog to win against Man City tomorrow.

But obviously these oddsmakers don't realize (like you do) that league position "doesn't mean a damn thing" and "anybody can beat anybody." So how about we bet and you give me Man City straight up?

That's my point, you've picked just one example, but what about all the other possible "underdogs" wins/draws that may happen. Like I said, that'll be enough to screw your analysis.
Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 05:54 - Mar 4 with 2125 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 00:03 - Mar 4 by JethroJack

That's my point, you've picked just one example, but what about all the other possible "underdogs" wins/draws that may happen. Like I said, that'll be enough to screw your analysis.

Alrighty then. If you really think oddsmakers giving Leicester a 1 in 12 chance of upsetting Man City tomorrow proves that it "doesn't mean a damn thing" whether we play teams at the top or bottom of the table, since "anybody can beat anybody," even a whopping 8% of the time, then I am happy for you.

But sorry, I'm not buying it. On the other hand, nor am I saying that schedule difficulty on paper is the end-all/be-all conversation, either. Because unlike you (at least in the case), I don't deal exclusively in absolutes.

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 06:05 - Mar 4 with 2122 viewsItchySphincter

I think we'll finish above WHU and Soton.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 09:08 - Mar 4 with 2043 viewsJethroJack

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 05:54 - Mar 4 by Tummer_from_Texas

Alrighty then. If you really think oddsmakers giving Leicester a 1 in 12 chance of upsetting Man City tomorrow proves that it "doesn't mean a damn thing" whether we play teams at the top or bottom of the table, since "anybody can beat anybody," even a whopping 8% of the time, then I am happy for you.

But sorry, I'm not buying it. On the other hand, nor am I saying that schedule difficulty on paper is the end-all/be-all conversation, either. Because unlike you (at least in the case), I don't deal exclusively in absolutes.

It's a pity you've got so upset over me challenging your analysis. I can see you must have put a lot of effort into it, but it was probably a pointless exercise
Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 09:14 - Mar 4 with 2031 viewsPegojack

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 06:05 - Mar 4 by ItchySphincter

I think we'll finish above WHU and Soton.

I don't think we've a hope in hell of finishing above Soton. it will be a major achievement to hang on to eight place, which is something we are capable of if we beat the teams we're expected to beat and pick up two or three draws as well.
Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 09:23 - Mar 4 with 2019 viewsPrivate_Partz

Many thanks for that. I was going to ask if someone in the know could do something like this. It gives us something to aim for and I will follow with interest if it is kept updated :-)

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 17:49 - Mar 6 with 1856 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe on 09:23 - Mar 4 by Private_Partz

Many thanks for that. I was going to ask if someone in the know could do something like this. It gives us something to aim for and I will follow with interest if it is kept updated :-)

Thanks; I've updated.

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe-THROUGH APRIL 6 on 18:55 - Apr 6 with 1651 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Updated again (see OP).

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe-THROUGH APRIL 6 on 19:21 - Apr 6 with 1599 viewslonglostjack

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe-THROUGH APRIL 6 on 18:55 - Apr 6 by Tummer_from_Texas

Updated again (see OP).

Great post Tummer. It's the kind of information I'd like to know anyway and of course football is never simple but makes for a good read.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe-THROUGH APRIL 6 on 19:30 - Apr 6 with 1579 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe-THROUGH APRIL 6 on 19:21 - Apr 6 by longlostjack

Great post Tummer. It's the kind of information I'd like to know anyway and of course football is never simple but makes for a good read.

Thanks - I know it seems crazy to think we can catch any of the 3 teams in front of us, but 7-8 points in 7 games isn't impossible. Particularly when we just need any one of them to have poor form (while we go on a tear ourselves, of course).

Remaining schedules of Swans and the other clubs chasing Europe-THROUGH APRIL 6 on 19:41 - Apr 6 with 1562 viewsDull1Thomas

I absolutely loved our season last year
(Redundancy pay off and straight into another job, just paid off the mortgage and kids working away meant I got to all but the Russian game - waaaaaahoooooooo for me. Never done anything like it before and probably won't again. Brilliant)

But with the massive money coming into the Prem in season 16/17 maybe Europe won't be a good idea for a club the size of ours next season. We wouldn't overspend as others would in order to be stable on both fronts so, I surprise myself here, by saying No to Europe next season.

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins step down?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024