Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Most Corrupt World Cup 20:22 - Jan 5 with 3972 viewsTim_Harry

I read a post on here a few months ago about the 1966 World Cup possibly being a little corrupt. Apparently it's known in the non-English, football-playing parts of the world that the whole thing was one massive stitch up.

Obviously in this part of the world we wouldn't know about this sort of thing. The English media would never investigate such stories and the Welsh media... well, they're too busy sobbing over their favourite club's problems to care.

It's difficult to find much out on the web because we only really get the English-speaking view.

Just had a quick scan and got this...

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/most-corrupt-world-cup-of-all-time.327000/

Here is what happened to the South American teams at the 1966 World Cup.

1) Brazil: (the favorite, coming off two WC titles). Pele is allowed to be butchered, as well as some of his teammates, as the English ref watched and became an accomplice and the perpetrators weren't even disciplined. Opponents constantly went for his ankles and knees until he was taken out and Brazil was eliminated.

2) After the first round, the Argentine and Uruguayan delegates claim that they were given the wrong time for the drawing of refs for the quarterfinals, and so were unable to attend. They were later informed that an English ref was assigned to Germany-Uruguay, and a German ref to England-Argentina. Coincidence, perhaps, but there was reason for the South American teams to be paranoid going into the matches, which were confirmed by the facts, as you will see.

3) Uruguay: Germany was given a questionable penalty early in the match, and two Uruguayan players were sent off by the English ref for arguing. Game over.

4) Argentina: The captain and soul of the team, Rattin, was thrown out in the first half for 'violence of the tongue'. Later the German ref said he threw him out because 'I didn't like the look he gave me'. Interestingly, the ref spoke no Spanish and had no way to know what Rattin said, and Rattin claims he was just telling him he was the captain and was asking for an interpreter. Some also claim that Hurst's winning goal was preceded by an uncalled offside, although from the tape I watched it is impossible to tell.

Anyway, there you have it. The greatest player of all time, Pele, is allowed to be butchered without any action taken, but the South Americans are thrown out of key matches merely for talking, by European refs who don't understand what they said. An obscene double standard.

After South American squads had won 3 of 4 post WWII cups, it seems likely that the FIFA powers didn't want it to happen again in 66.

Haven't read that whole thread yet, but I certainly will when I get a chance later.

So what do people here think?

Was it a fair World Cup?

Most Corrupt World Cup on 20:59 - Jan 5 with 3901 viewstrampie

It was probably my post butt, its my duty as a fair minded football fan to say it as it is.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2016 21:25]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Most Corrupt World Cup on 21:05 - Jan 5 with 3880 viewsHighjack

It was par for the course for the best players to be kicked out of games. They did it to John Charles in 58. George best was the victim of attempted assault every time he got the ball. It was just the game in those days.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Most Corrupt World Cup on 21:07 - Jan 5 with 3866 viewstrampie

'El robo del siglo'

The 1966 world cup was known as the ''the robbery of the century'' or ''el robo del siglo'' as the South Americans refered to it, where they thought that the English and Germans were collaborating to get them knocked out, the accusations being made well before the final, Pele was kicked out of the comp in the group stages, Brazil was only given English and German refs, Argentina had their captain sent off against England by a German ref in the Quarters, Uruguay had two players sent off and a good goal disallowed by an English ref against the Germans in the Quarters.

Then there was the last minute semi final switch of venue to ensure that England did not have to lose their base and their opponents had to travel to them at the last minute, people in Liverpool that had Goodison Park semi final tickets are still unhappy about it to this day, and then there was the 'ghost goal' in the final, the whole World knew it was not a goal, it took 30 years for England to accept it after Oxford scientists used modern photography techniques to prove it wasnt a goal and of course the Russian linesman or more correctly Azerbaijan linesman when asked on his death bed was it a goal replied 'Stalingrad', says it all really.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Most Corrupt World Cup on 21:22 - Jan 5 with 3837 viewstrampie

The English cant be trusted when it comes to sport, trying to win at all costs is a trait, 1966 WC was one of shame not honour, they tried the old expensive handbags trick to win favour with delegates wives to try and get a recent world cup, in rugby they deliberately played with 16 men at one point to prevent them losing in the rugby World Cup they won and they had bloodgate and the hand of Back in cross border competition, not forgetting a couple of infamous cricket test series, trying to hit people in the head in one and complaining in another so much that the umpires gave them every decision for the remainder of the series, they also demanded neutral umpires at one time then after that they wanted English only umpires.
In football they only allow English officials to officiate Welsh teams, so Swansea, Cardiff, Wrexham and Newport have been up against it over the years in football.
Never ever trust the English in sport.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2016 21:23]

Most Corrupt World Cup on 21:29 - Jan 5 with 3812 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Losers always squeal as England have done in every other World Cup.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Most Corrupt World Cup on 23:05 - Jan 5 with 3701 viewsdobjack2

The great South American conspiracy theory for 1966.

I raise you Argentina 6 Peru 0 in the 1978 World Cup. A game the host nation needed to win by 4 goals to qualify for the final. Google that game.
Most Corrupt World Cup on 23:12 - Jan 5 with 3689 viewsmonmouth

Most Corrupt World Cup on 23:05 - Jan 5 by dobjack2

I raise you Argentina 6 Peru 0 in the 1978 World Cup. A game the host nation needed to win by 4 goals to qualify for the final. Google that game.

I remember watching that. Bent as f**k. I couldn't believe there wasn't a massive row about it at the time...or at least I don't remember one.

And yes of course the england win was with loaded dice, though not in the systematic way it is set out. They just got the benefit of every call. They were a better side and unlucky in 1970 I thought. The only side to get close to Brazil.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Most Corrupt World Cup on 23:33 - Jan 5 with 3653 viewsClinton

Most Corrupt World Cup on 23:05 - Jan 5 by dobjack2

The Argies antics in the final were also a total disgrace. The fact is that the game was played so differently in South America and in Europe in those days, it was impossible for any referee to appear 'fair'. Remember that grainy footage of world club championship games, which mostly ended up as acrimonious wars.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Login to get fewer ads

Most Corrupt World Cup on 23:43 - Jan 5 with 3632 viewsLoyal

How anyone could give Hursts goal off the bar is beyond me. Stinks of corruption.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Most Corrupt World Cup on 23:51 - Jan 5 with 3623 viewsClinton

Most Corrupt World Cup on 23:43 - Jan 5 by Loyal

How anyone could give Hursts goal off the bar is beyond me. Stinks of corruption.

There's an apocryphal story that soviet linesman, when asked why he gave the goal, gave a one word answer: Stalingrad.
Maybe it was old fashioned national bias rather than corruption, but who knows?

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Most Corrupt World Cup on 23:53 - Jan 5 with 3615 viewsperchrockjack

And now fifty years ago

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Most Corrupt World Cup on 23:57 - Jan 5 with 3601 viewsdobjack2

Most Corrupt World Cup on 23:12 - Jan 5 by monmouth

I remember watching that. Bent as f**k. I couldn't believe there wasn't a massive row about it at the time...or at least I don't remember one.

And yes of course the england win was with loaded dice, though not in the systematic way it is set out. They just got the benefit of every call. They were a better side and unlucky in 1970 I thought. The only side to get close to Brazil.

Yes it was a strange game to watch.

There have been numerous theories and allegations about that game, the net is full of them. Against a fix was Peru hitting the post twice in the first half. Many of the accusations originated from Argentinas bitterest rivals Brazil who had looked all set to reach the final. Peruvian players have allegedly confirmed and denied a fix. The truth is out there somewhere.

The host nations games kicked off last so they knew exactly what they needed to do each round, the format was repeated in Spain in 1982. I think the host country had the same advantage then. The format was changed for 1986.

There was also all the last minute shenanigans over the plaster cast on the wrist of one of the van Der kerkhov brothers which delayed the kick off for the final and wound the crowd up even further.

It will never be proven one way or another whether the Peru game was fixed but one thing was clear - the home team had all the breaks from the organisers.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2016 23:59]
Most Corrupt World Cup on 00:09 - Jan 6 with 3581 viewsdobjack2

Most Corrupt World Cup on 23:33 - Jan 5 by Clinton

The Argies antics in the final were also a total disgrace. The fact is that the game was played so differently in South America and in Europe in those days, it was impossible for any referee to appear 'fair'. Remember that grainy footage of world club championship games, which mostly ended up as acrimonious wars.

I remember the build up to man Utd and estudiantes game in 1968, the papers were expecting trouble after what had happened to Celtic when they played the South American champions of the year before. From memory the game in Argentina was especially violent and the game at old Trafford little better.
Most Corrupt World Cup on 00:12 - Jan 6 with 3578 viewsdobjack2

Not the last ref to give a goal when the ball hasn't gone in the net though. Home team getting benefit of a dodgy decision.
Most Corrupt World Cup on 13:58 - Jan 6 with 3420 viewssherpajacob

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Rous

The 1966 world cup was a fix from start to finish.

The rest of the world just laugh at English complaints about the fifa hierarchy and awarding of world cups.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Most Corrupt World Cup on 15:39 - Jan 6 with 3359 viewsStarsky

Most Corrupt World Cup on 21:22 - Jan 5 by trampie

The English cant be trusted when it comes to sport, trying to win at all costs is a trait, 1966 WC was one of shame not honour, they tried the old expensive handbags trick to win favour with delegates wives to try and get a recent world cup, in rugby they deliberately played with 16 men at one point to prevent them losing in the rugby World Cup they won and they had bloodgate and the hand of Back in cross border competition, not forgetting a couple of infamous cricket test series, trying to hit people in the head in one and complaining in another so much that the umpires gave them every decision for the remainder of the series, they also demanded neutral umpires at one time then after that they wanted English only umpires.
In football they only allow English officials to officiate Welsh teams, so Swansea, Cardiff, Wrexham and Newport have been up against it over the years in football.
Never ever trust the English in sport.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2016 21:23]

This thread and your massive chip on shoulder is an embarrassment.
50 years ago FFS

It's just the internet, init.

Most Corrupt World Cup on 22:37 - Jan 6 with 3264 viewstrampie

Most Corrupt World Cup on 15:39 - Jan 6 by Starsky

This thread and your massive chip on shoulder is an embarrassment.
50 years ago FFS

Lots of other stuff in the post is fairly recent.

Most Corrupt World Cup on 08:29 - Jan 7 with 3210 viewsKilkennyjack

Its only bent if the Russian linesman wears a white belt. Always a sure sign that.

Beware of the Risen People

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024