Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time will tell 11:58 - Aug 9 with 4582 viewsBarrySwan

But am I the only one who thinks getting £20.5m for Ayew and between £10m and £13 for Ashley Williams isn't too bad business?

Ayew came with a reported £5m to £6m signing on fee instead of a transfer fee, it's unclear whether he got that up front or whether it was linked to monthly wages and whether or not he won't now get all of it (or if there will be a settlement fee from the Swans) either way a plus £15m profit to reinvest isn't too shabby in my view.

He certainly isn't a poor player and worth a goal or two here or there but I'm not entirely sure that he ever found his best role here and £20.5m isn't a bad little sum to get a new player with who hopefully isn't looking around constantly to see if he can do 'better' at another club.

As for Ashley, what can you say, other than Swansea have had a great 8 years out of him, a rock at the back, supposedly a leader of men on and off the pitch, as determined and wholehearted as they come and a staggeringly impressive fitness record in regard to never being injured and always available.

However things will always move on at football clubs, personnel will always change as time always moves on.

Ashley is now approaching 32, for me he is still hugely responsible for those last ditch tackles and blocks which have saved a goal on so many occasions, but I would also say is a little tapped for pace and seems to get away with at least two clear cut handballs in the penalty box per game ( how I've no idea)

He obviously is still worth his place in the team but for how much longer? Perhaps just another season at most perhaps longer, nobody really knows, thats what making a call is all about.

I'm not totally confident in the alternatives, Ferdinand for me is not exactly a rock, his passing is dodgy, he concedes more fouls just outside the box due to quite obvious fouling than any central defender in the premier, Amat is clearly a decent player but prone to the odd gaffe, perhaps an extended run will highlight this trait or eradicate it from his game and who knows what the new Dutch guy is really like yet?

One thing is sure, that unfortunately none of us can hold back time and things move on.

Players will always look out for their own and their families best interests and clubs will always look after their own interests in regards to income and what the management team think is the best course of action.

I used to be really disappointed when decent players left the club now I just accept that the players will do what they feel is best for themselves and that new players will be signed who may or may not turn out to be better than those who have left for pastures new.

Life goes on at every football club whatever division they end up in.
Time will tell on 14:32 - Aug 9 with 1301 viewsjack247

Ayew is decent business. He unbalanced us last season but was crucial because of his goals. They wouldn't have been so vital had we had a competent centre forward. I'm not convinced we really need to replace his goals from wide if our striker(s) are scoring regularly.

Not so convinced about Ash. Totally get his age and that it's the biggest offer we are ever going to get for him, just concerned we won't have a real leader at the back and think we are throwing Amat in at the deep end a little bit.

Happy with Llorente and hopefully Borja though. Expecting them to work well with Gylfi and the wingers.
Time will tell on 15:15 - Aug 9 with 1270 viewstrampie

As regards the opening post, what we signed Ayew for should have no bearing on his current price in the market place, I would have hoped for another £5M for Ayew but the club has done well financially out of him as pointed out but that is not the point regarding his current value.
If Ayew was a reasonable transfer, Williams financially looks like a good one [unless we get relegated through defensive mistakes] due to his age and seemingly his best years being behind him etc and he cost something like 400k.
I wish Williams all the best he has been great for Swansea.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Time will tell on 22:52 - Aug 9 with 1117 viewsItchySphincter

Time will tell on 14:32 - Aug 9 by jack247

Ayew is decent business. He unbalanced us last season but was crucial because of his goals. They wouldn't have been so vital had we had a competent centre forward. I'm not convinced we really need to replace his goals from wide if our striker(s) are scoring regularly.

Not so convinced about Ash. Totally get his age and that it's the biggest offer we are ever going to get for him, just concerned we won't have a real leader at the back and think we are throwing Amat in at the deep end a little bit.

Happy with Llorente and hopefully Borja though. Expecting them to work well with Gylfi and the wingers.

Don't forget Islam Slimani too.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Time will tell on 23:44 - Aug 9 with 1088 viewsharryhpalmer

Time will tell on 14:20 - Aug 9 by Kerouac

I want them to do their badges and become coaches.

...you know, like Alan Curtis.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2016 14:24]

Leon is doing his badges and has been coaching some of the younger aged groups for the past season or two.

Not sure what Angel has been doing.

Poll: Who do you want as next Manager?

Time will tell on 23:45 - Aug 9 with 1082 viewsjasper_T

Time will tell on 23:44 - Aug 9 by harryhpalmer

Leon is doing his badges and has been coaching some of the younger aged groups for the past season or two.

Not sure what Angel has been doing.

Feeding the homeless.
Time will tell on 03:25 - Aug 10 with 1022 viewsWanderer

As Rush sung "Changes aren't permanent but change is".
Surely FG will use his knowledge of Italian football and suggest a centre half to keep an eye on for Jan if it goes tits up in defence.
Time will tell on 06:42 - Aug 10 with 961 viewsAnotherJohn

I thought that both fees were on the low side in today's market. Interesting that the Twitterati seem to regard the Williams deal as a bargain.

http://www.footballinsider247.com/absolute-bargain-twitter-reacts-to-williams-ev
Time will tell on 07:50 - Aug 10 with 896 viewsWhiterockin

Time will tell on 06:42 - Aug 10 by AnotherJohn

I thought that both fees were on the low side in today's market. Interesting that the Twitterati seem to regard the Williams deal as a bargain.

http://www.footballinsider247.com/absolute-bargain-twitter-reacts-to-williams-ev

If Williams went for £12M and is on 100K a week that is £22M over his two year contract. As I expect him to have no resale value at 34 that is £11M a season he is costing Everton. Good deal for Williams, good deal for us, as for Everton we will have to wait and see but defiantly not a bargain. Also he has been very, very lucky with injuries, as you get older you tend to pick up more and it takes longer to recover.
Login to get fewer ads

Time will tell on 09:00 - Aug 10 with 860 viewstylagarwjack

Time will tell on 07:50 - Aug 10 by Whiterockin

If Williams went for £12M and is on 100K a week that is £22M over his two year contract. As I expect him to have no resale value at 34 that is £11M a season he is costing Everton. Good deal for Williams, good deal for us, as for Everton we will have to wait and see but defiantly not a bargain. Also he has been very, very lucky with injuries, as you get older you tend to pick up more and it takes longer to recover.

It's a good financial deal for us, though I still think it could be better, but he leaves a massive hole, his consistency (both in terms of appearance and performance) and his leadership qualities will be extremely difficult to replace. Do we really think Amat can do that? He's looked very steady when he has played but it's a big ask to do it over 38 games. Fernandez has looked good on occasions but not all the time. Really think we need to bring in a senior CB and play Amat alongside him but the type of player we need is hard to find and won't come cheap.
Time will tell on 09:10 - Aug 10 with 839 viewsjasper_T

Time will tell on 06:42 - Aug 10 by AnotherJohn

Shelvey was thought to be a bargain, too.
Time will tell on 09:13 - Aug 10 with 833 viewsraynor94

Time will tell on 07:50 - Aug 10 by Whiterockin

Spot on post, £22 million for two seasons is not cheap for a centre half in the twilight of his career, Huw did a fine job, but that won't stop the negative bleating of some on here

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Time will tell on 09:14 - Aug 10 with 832 viewsWhiterockin

Time will tell on 09:00 - Aug 10 by tylagarwjack

It's a good financial deal for us, though I still think it could be better, but he leaves a massive hole, his consistency (both in terms of appearance and performance) and his leadership qualities will be extremely difficult to replace. Do we really think Amat can do that? He's looked very steady when he has played but it's a big ask to do it over 38 games. Fernandez has looked good on occasions but not all the time. Really think we need to bring in a senior CB and play Amat alongside him but the type of player we need is hard to find and won't come cheap.

Strange as it may seem I thought that Fernandez played better with Amat than with Williams. Ash has a leadership style that is hard to replace, but a new captain with a different style could breath new life into our team.
Time will tell on 09:18 - Aug 10 with 820 viewsjasper_T

Time will tell on 09:14 - Aug 10 by Whiterockin

Strange as it may seem I thought that Fernandez played better with Amat than with Williams. Ash has a leadership style that is hard to replace, but a new captain with a different style could breath new life into our team.

Ash's leadership style was to yell at everyone. Not sure how effective that was on some of our players.
Time will tell on 09:22 - Aug 10 with 815 viewstylagarwjack

Time will tell on 09:14 - Aug 10 by Whiterockin

Certainly they looked good in the few games they played together at the end of last season, I guess how we go defensively in the opening few games will help decide whether they can be our main pair of CB's. I guess the question is then who is the new captain, Fernandez doesn't seem to be the leader type and Amat will be too new to the team in terms of playing consistently.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024