Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Making America Great Again 18:10 - Mar 16 with 2240 viewsShaky

. . .by slashing medical and scientific research (and installing a Christian fundamentalist bible basher as Education secretary)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/trumps-budget-would-slash

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Making America Great Again on 20:57 - Mar 16 with 1555 viewsHumpty

And a 31.4% cut for the Environmental Protection Agency.

Making America Polluted Again.
Making America Great Again on 21:20 - Mar 16 with 1534 viewsexiledclaseboy

Making America Great Again on 20:57 - Mar 16 by Humpty

And a 31.4% cut for the Environmental Protection Agency.

Making America Polluted Again.

And a13% funding cut for the department of education.

Making America stupid again.

Oh. Hang on...

Poll: Tory leader

Making America Great Again on 22:26 - Mar 16 with 1488 viewsLeonWasGod

You're all enemies of the people spreading fake noows.

Trump has already tripled spending on research, given away private health care to all citizens and turned everyone into a genius.

It's gonna be bigly.
Making America Great Again on 02:44 - Mar 17 with 1433 viewsDavillin

Two comments with not unkind intent.

1. Some of you sure fuss a lot about the U.S. when you might spend some time and energy fussing about the U.K.

2. With regard to the comments above, have you considered that the cuts are being made to over-bloated spending excesses in the fairly recent past? And those excesses all made primarily for political gain?

Of course, the o.p. quotes The Washington Post, one of the most feverishly anti-Trump rags in the States. Right up there with the The New York Times, CNN, CBS, and NBC,

And also of course, I've been pointing out for years -- literally -- the predilection of some posters on here to read and quote the most biased media outlets -- in both the U.S. and the U.K. A waste of my time, energy, and fingertips, really, I know.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Making America Great Again on 02:56 - Mar 17 with 1429 viewsHumpty

Making America Great Again on 02:44 - Mar 17 by Davillin

1. Some of you sure fuss a lot about the U.S. when you might spend some time and energy fussing about the U.K.

2. With regard to the comments above, have you considered that the cuts are being made to over-bloated spending excesses in the fairly recent past? And those excesses all made primarily for political gain?

Of course, the o.p. quotes The Washington Post, one of the most feverishly anti-Trump rags in the States. Right up there with the The New York Times, CNN, CBS, and NBC,

And also of course, I've been pointing out for years -- literally -- the predilection of some posters on here to read and quote the most biased media outlets -- in both the U.S. and the U.K. A waste of my time, energy, and fingertips, really, I know.

That's right Dav.

WaPo, NYT, CNN, CBS and NBC. And pretty much the rest of the worlds media. All feverishly anti Trump. All fake news.

I agree with you. You want the facts? Go with the real news outlets.

Breitbart, Fox News and Russia Today. Along with various white supremacist sites.
Making America Great Again on 08:07 - Mar 17 with 1397 viewsnantywatcher

I think the vast majority of us are anti-Trump because we dislike intensely all his actions and words. Apart from that he seems a decent guy. Personally I wouldn't trust him to run our local post office.
Making America Great Again on 08:36 - Mar 17 with 1377 viewsunion_jack

Regarding point no. 1.

I couldn't agree more. The amount of discussion on here makes us sound like the 51st state. Lots of it has nothing to do with us.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Making America Great Again on 08:46 - Mar 17 with 1360 viewscentrestandswan

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/donald-trump-scrap-arts-funding-

Ah well back to the Dark Ages for the States.

Poll: Will we be relegated ?

Login to get fewer ads

Making America Great Again on 08:54 - Mar 17 with 1349 viewsblueytheblue

Making America Great Again on 08:46 - Mar 17 by centrestandswan

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/donald-trump-scrap-arts-funding-

Ah well back to the Dark Ages for the States.

American Arts = Meryl Streep whining coz best mate Hillary lost along with endless Kardashian crap...

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Making America Great Again on 09:05 - Mar 17 with 1327 viewsnice_to_michu

You could've just listened to Mick Mulveney's press conference, that would've told you about the cuts that are being proposed. Pretty much right in line with what the press reports
Making America Great Again on 09:18 - Mar 17 with 1311 viewslondonlisa2001

Making America Great Again on 08:54 - Mar 17 by blueytheblue

American Arts = Meryl Streep whining coz best mate Hillary lost along with endless Kardashian crap...

It is the paucity of public arts funding that leads to endless Kardashian crap.

Scrapping it will encourage such banality, not prevent it.

Of course, it's presumably another example of what Davillin describes as bloated public spending.

Thank God Trump has identified that defence needs more money though. No bloated expenditure in defence budgets.

The arts, education, the environment, medical and scientific research, national parks - it's basically indicative that a formerly great country is being run by a giant, orange, small minded, badly educated, unthinking chav.

Billy Bob and Bubba will be thrilled. I just can't imagine why anyone that has the brain power of anything but plankton could possibly agree with them.
Making America Great Again on 09:37 - Mar 17 with 1296 viewsWarwickHunt

Pretty rich from someone who's always been obsessed with the UK being in the EU...
Making America Great Again on 09:47 - Mar 17 with 1286 viewsblueytheblue

Making America Great Again on 09:18 - Mar 17 by londonlisa2001

It is the paucity of public arts funding that leads to endless Kardashian crap.

Scrapping it will encourage such banality, not prevent it.

Of course, it's presumably another example of what Davillin describes as bloated public spending.

Thank God Trump has identified that defence needs more money though. No bloated expenditure in defence budgets.

The arts, education, the environment, medical and scientific research, national parks - it's basically indicative that a formerly great country is being run by a giant, orange, small minded, badly educated, unthinking chav.

Billy Bob and Bubba will be thrilled. I just can't imagine why anyone that has the brain power of anything but plankton could possibly agree with them.

Nah, Kardashians emerged due to a dumbed down nation.

Arts funding is irrelevant to that - people these days tend to find high arts dull and boring. Want to live their lives vicariously through people famous for errm being famous.

We're living in an X-Factor culture these days. People get the culture they want - something where they believe they can get fame for 15 seconds...

Making America Great Again on 09:48 - Mar 17 with 1285 viewsperchrockjack

I simply believe our contemporary culture is linked with USA rather than EU countries many of whom we ve been at or wanted to be at wzrar.

I'm still traumatised by people from my home city openly defending the Putin regime with our former "ally"

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Making America Great Again on 09:56 - Mar 17 with 1277 viewslondonlisa2001

Making America Great Again on 09:47 - Mar 17 by blueytheblue

Nah, Kardashians emerged due to a dumbed down nation.

Arts funding is irrelevant to that - people these days tend to find high arts dull and boring. Want to live their lives vicariously through people famous for errm being famous.

We're living in an X-Factor culture these days. People get the culture they want - something where they believe they can get fame for 15 seconds...

Public arts funding provides at least some alternative to an X factor culture for those that aren't born terminally stupid.

Ask yourself why people like Trump all spend huge amounts to ensure that their own children are exposed to the arts. They agree with theatre, ballet, opera, museums, galleries, taking part in plays, art shows, musicals, concerts, poetry when it comes to their own kids - they just can't see the point of providing such opportunity for poor kids.

It's bollox bluey. And, by the way, is provided at a minuscule cost.

People don't get the culture that they want - they get the culture that makes the most money for advertisers.
Making America Great Again on 09:58 - Mar 17 with 1271 viewsperchrockjack

Interesting opinion Lisa .

I agree, Or at least I think I do

Making America Great Again on 10:02 - Mar 17 with 1268 viewsblueytheblue

Making America Great Again on 09:56 - Mar 17 by londonlisa2001

Public arts funding provides at least some alternative to an X factor culture for those that aren't born terminally stupid.

Ask yourself why people like Trump all spend huge amounts to ensure that their own children are exposed to the arts. They agree with theatre, ballet, opera, museums, galleries, taking part in plays, art shows, musicals, concerts, poetry when it comes to their own kids - they just can't see the point of providing such opportunity for poor kids.

It's bollox bluey. And, by the way, is provided at a minuscule cost.

People don't get the culture that they want - they get the culture that makes the most money for advertisers.

The arts as they used to be have declined in quality massively regardless, Lisa.

Look at Opera - it's now noticeable looks tend to count for more than vocal quality. Cheap pretty Eastern European sopranos have no problem getting roles...

Even that's dumbed down. Charlotte Church an opera star? Never having actually sung in an opera. Ditto Catherine Jenkins.

Plenty of reputable opera companies have been run abysmally - relying upon arts funding to cover excesses.

The problem is that society has changed. Visit a museum, hell even kick a ball round a park? Kids would rather play X-box. Or watch TV.

Of course there's revenue generation to be considered across all arts. People have the culture they want due to supporting shows like any Kardashian / "reality" crap.

Reality TV is cheap to produce. If people didn't watch it then there would be little to no value to advertisers.

Making America Great Again on 10:15 - Mar 17 with 1257 viewsNeath_Jack

Look out, the intellects are talking about light entertainment in regards to peoples intelligence levels.

Pompous tw*ts.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Making America Great Again on 10:22 - Mar 17 with 1251 viewslondonlisa2001

Making America Great Again on 10:02 - Mar 17 by blueytheblue

The arts as they used to be have declined in quality massively regardless, Lisa.

Look at Opera - it's now noticeable looks tend to count for more than vocal quality. Cheap pretty Eastern European sopranos have no problem getting roles...

Even that's dumbed down. Charlotte Church an opera star? Never having actually sung in an opera. Ditto Catherine Jenkins.

Plenty of reputable opera companies have been run abysmally - relying upon arts funding to cover excesses.

The problem is that society has changed. Visit a museum, hell even kick a ball round a park? Kids would rather play X-box. Or watch TV.

Of course there's revenue generation to be considered across all arts. People have the culture they want due to supporting shows like any Kardashian / "reality" crap.

Reality TV is cheap to produce. If people didn't watch it then there would be little to no value to advertisers.

No they haven't.

There are wonderful productions of plays, musicals, operas, ballets being put on every week all across the country.

Not only in big cities. Swansea has a brilliant jazz festival, a great classical music festival. You've the National Orchestra of Wales, the WNO, Swansea City Opera. A vibrant youth music scene (scandalously defunded by the council). Productions of modern dance in the Taliesin, plays in the Dylan Thomas, as well as the 'bigger' shows in the Grand.

I spend several weeks each year attending the spectacularly good Opera Holland Park, which is partially funded by the local council, and packed to the rafters every night for 8 weeks or so, with accessible tickets being provided at £12 a pop, free tickets given to local school children and the disadvantaged.

No one in the universe thinks Charlotte Church or Katherine Jenkins are opera singers, other than those whose only exposure to opera is if it happens to be used as intro music for an advert or footie tournament. Light classical singers have always been around - look at people like Harry Secombe, or even Mario Lanza. Doesn't detract from the great singers like Bryn Terfel or locally we've produced hugely talented people like Rebecca Evans in recent years. Fflur Wyn is an exciting local, emerging talent in opera (I mention Fflur because many on here will know her Dad, Eirian well, from his work at the Swans).

Yes, many people do want to watch the Kardashians. Plenty of people also want to read the Sun as a source of 'news'. But not everybody does. And the public purse is there to provide an alternative. Because the odd kid, maybe only 2 or 3 in 10, does want to visit a museum or watch a ballet, or listen to a concert. And once we tell them they can only do that if they're wealthy, then we, as a society, are truly buggered.

Edited as Perch pointed out my error in typing too quickly...
[Post edited 17 Mar 2017 10:31]
Making America Great Again on 10:26 - Mar 17 with 1242 viewslondonlisa2001

Making America Great Again on 10:15 - Mar 17 by Neath_Jack

Look out, the intellects are talking about light entertainment in regards to peoples intelligence levels.

Pompous tw*ts.

If you're referring to me, I'm actually talking about the provision of something other than light entertainment as necessary because I don't believe that people are as stupid as those like Trump would have anyone believe.

It's the diametric opposite to what you have said.

Light entertainment has never needed public funding.
Making America Great Again on 10:27 - Mar 17 with 1242 viewsperchrockjack

Caruso . Light !

The greatest heavyweight, full on hit in the guts tenor for whom serious Opera was made.

Making America Great Again on 10:30 - Mar 17 with 1232 viewslondonlisa2001

Making America Great Again on 10:27 - Mar 17 by perchrockjack

Caruso . Light !

The greatest heavyweight, full on hit in the guts tenor for whom serious Opera was made.

Sorry perch - you're right. I didn't mean Caruso, I actually meant Mario Lanza (he played Caruso in a film, and I typed the wrong name as I had him in my mind).

I've now edited the post attributing you !
[Post edited 17 Mar 2017 10:32]
Making America Great Again on 10:35 - Mar 17 with 1219 viewsblueytheblue

Making America Great Again on 10:26 - Mar 17 by londonlisa2001

If you're referring to me, I'm actually talking about the provision of something other than light entertainment as necessary because I don't believe that people are as stupid as those like Trump would have anyone believe.

It's the diametric opposite to what you have said.

Light entertainment has never needed public funding.

Of course alternatives to light entertainment need to be provided.

The wife knows quite bit about opera, especially the hiring practises these days. Quality has declined, hell look at Welsh Singer of the World. Riddled with bias and favouritism.

The point about Charlotte Church et al was the way they have cynically been portrayed - and benefitted from - PR bullshit. Survey people and most would agree her, cutesy Jenkins et al are opera singers. You know that's not true, I know that's not true - the masses however...

For all the good initiatives in the classical opera world, there have been massive wastes of public money also.

Making America Great Again on 13:04 - Mar 17 with 1169 viewsperchrockjack

You re worn down Lisa. You won't be the first lady

My ma was a great mezzo who put family before a singing career.

Mario Lanza ...fair point and the Student Prince defined him

Sadly, another to have eaten and drunk self to death

Greatest tenor... Gigli.

Baritones . Look at Gobbi

Making America Great Again on 13:19 - Mar 17 with 1158 viewswaynekerr55

Making America Great Again on 13:04 - Mar 17 by perchrockjack

You re worn down Lisa. You won't be the first lady

My ma was a great mezzo who put family before a singing career.

Mario Lanza ...fair point and the Student Prince defined him

Sadly, another to have eaten and drunk self to death

Greatest tenor... Gigli.

Baritones . Look at Gobbi

"A great mezzo"

I know a good Turkish restaurant on Stanmore Broadway. Tsk.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024