Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped 07:24 - Jul 20 with 5051 viewsNeathJack

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/40665659
Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 07:35 - Jul 20 with 3217 viewsPrivate_Partz

What a surprise. They have been preparing us for this for years. Similar to the Trauma Unit. I await the outrage from Messers James, Hedges and our Council Leaders.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 07:42 - Jul 20 with 3198 viewswestside

Maybe they could get money from the EU to do it ................or wait Swansea voted for brexit
Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 08:05 - Jul 20 with 3163 viewsfelixstowe_jack

It was never going to happen. The track speed between Swansea and Cardiff is too restricted for a High speed train. Some of the money saved could be used to update some of the sections as well as new stations at Landore and Cockett and dualling the bit of track between Gowerton and Loughor. The new trains can run as Bi mode trains anyway. I use the train to get from Felixstowe to Swansea for home matches.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 08:10 - Jul 20 with 3145 viewsunion_jack

This may not be popular but this decision probably makes sense.

Yes, we are all upset that Swansea is not included in the project but what are the overall benefits compared to the costs. I think the journey time was cut by c.7 mins with electrification?

The bi-mode trains will be faster now which will probably mean that reduced travel time can be achieved without the cost / disruption.

Can't knock this decision if we remain objective.

The barrage in the other hand would be a different argument as would the MTU.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 08:19 - Jul 20 with 3117 viewswaynekerr55

The bi fuel trains are heavier, aren't they? Won't this wear the tracks out faster and cost more in the long run?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 08:37 - Jul 20 with 3071 viewspikeypaul

Sensible decision . Massive cost for very little gain.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 08:38 - Jul 20 with 3064 viewsPrivate_Partz

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 08:19 - Jul 20 by waynekerr55

The bi fuel trains are heavier, aren't they? Won't this wear the tracks out faster and cost more in the long run?

Yes. And they reduce the time from Cardiff to London as they are heavier and therefore slower. The money saved will be used for projects in Swansea? Dream on guys. This will go to electrifying the Cardiff valleys. Also the argument about stopping in Cardiff because the Swansea line is slower is just plain daft. One of the slowest parts of the line is the Severn tunnel. Why not stop at Bristol? What grinds my gears is a prat from Cardiff Business School doing all the spouting on BBC Cardiff.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 8:39]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 08:42 - Jul 20 with 3052 viewsmonmouth

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 08:37 - Jul 20 by pikeypaul

Shame they don't apply the same logic to HS2, and maybe train some more doctors and nurses. Oh no, too many fat contracts and kickbacks.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Login to get fewer ads

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 08:49 - Jul 20 with 3035 viewsPrivate_Partz

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 08:37 - Jul 20 by pikeypaul

You could you use that argument for the whole project. It has gone ahead regardless.
It is a shocking decision. .this should have been extended right down to Pembrokeshire to support the main links to the ROI. Fat chance of that happening now. You can bet Treorchy to Splott will be electrified though.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 9:34]

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 09:07 - Jul 20 with 2998 viewsSwanzay

Just highlights that "investment" Terminates at Cardiff........
Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 09:10 - Jul 20 with 2993 viewsLandore_Jack

Investment stops at Cardiff. Not surprised by this decision.

#backtojack

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 09:14 - Jul 20 with 2982 viewswaynekerr55

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 09:07 - Jul 20 by Swanzay

Just highlights that "investment" Terminates at Cardiff........

And always will as long as turkeys keep voting for Christmas. Didn't Einstein define madness as doing the same thing yet expecting different results?

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 09:14 - Jul 20 with 2979 viewsLandore_Jack

Look at this. It makes my blood boil. For years people in Swansea have been asking the WAG to re-open Cockett Station and Landore Station.

New £25m rail station for South Wales with 10,000 new job business park on track for 2020 opening

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/new-25m-rail-station-south-1

#backtojack

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 09:20 - Jul 20 with 2967 viewswaynekerr55

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 09:14 - Jul 20 by Landore_Jack

Look at this. It makes my blood boil. For years people in Swansea have been asking the WAG to re-open Cockett Station and Landore Station.

New £25m rail station for South Wales with 10,000 new job business park on track for 2020 opening

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/new-25m-rail-station-south-1

I refer you to my post above.

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 09:22 - Jul 20 with 2958 viewsMarinaJack

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 08:10 - Jul 20 by union_jack

This may not be popular but this decision probably makes sense.

Yes, we are all upset that Swansea is not included in the project but what are the overall benefits compared to the costs. I think the journey time was cut by c.7 mins with electrification?

The bi-mode trains will be faster now which will probably mean that reduced travel time can be achieved without the cost / disruption.

Can't knock this decision if we remain objective.

The barrage in the other hand would be a different argument as would the MTU.

faster trains are not the issue , more trains at cheaper prices are the key

would the electrification have helped here?

I'm not au fait on trains can anyone clarify?
Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 09:27 - Jul 20 with 2944 viewsSwans_16

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 09:22 - Jul 20 by MarinaJack

Whilst this is short-termism on the UK Government's hands, yet again with infrastructure, i can't actually fault the decision in any other way.

For a 7 minute gain in journey time, the disruption that electrification would cause and the actual suitability of the tracks for faster trains is not ideal, so it's a compromise of a decision.

The new Bi-Mode trains are fast anyway, and are a huge improvement on what's there currently. However if the GW Mainline from Cardiff to London does end up going fully Electric in the future which i think it will then this will mean that these Bi-Mode trains will be purely operating the Cardiff - Swansea route.

There are other ways that would be better to spend the money, re-opening the stations mentioned above is just one of them. I see the Tidal Lagoon was mentioned, that (i think) is going to be announced shortly.
Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 09:30 - Jul 20 with 2932 viewsraynor94

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 09:27 - Jul 20 by Swans_16

Whilst this is short-termism on the UK Government's hands, yet again with infrastructure, i can't actually fault the decision in any other way.

For a 7 minute gain in journey time, the disruption that electrification would cause and the actual suitability of the tracks for faster trains is not ideal, so it's a compromise of a decision.

The new Bi-Mode trains are fast anyway, and are a huge improvement on what's there currently. However if the GW Mainline from Cardiff to London does end up going fully Electric in the future which i think it will then this will mean that these Bi-Mode trains will be purely operating the Cardiff - Swansea route.

There are other ways that would be better to spend the money, re-opening the stations mentioned above is just one of them. I see the Tidal Lagoon was mentioned, that (i think) is going to be announced shortly.

My feelings exactly

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 09:31 - Jul 20 with 2930 viewswaynekerr55

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 09:22 - Jul 20 by MarinaJack

I assume the transfer of rolling stock would be made easier given the amount of electric trains that run around the country.

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 09:37 - Jul 20 with 2911 viewsLandore_Jack

I wouldn't be surprised if the WAG announced that all electric trains would terminate in Cardiff, and people would need to catch a separate diesel train to Swansea and West Wales.

#backtojack

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 09:39 - Jul 20 with 2906 viewsHighjack

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 07:42 - Jul 20 by westside

Maybe they could get money from the EU to do it ................or wait Swansea voted for brexit

The EU would never hand over £800 mil of our money for a 40 mile stretch of railway mun. They'd prefer to let us have lots of other tiny amounts then force us into to spending it on pointless shyte and making us put up big blue plaques so that everyone knows how overly generous they are with our money.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 09:40 - Jul 20 with 2905 viewswaynekerr55

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 08:49 - Jul 20 by Private_Partz

You could you use that argument for the whole project. It has gone ahead regardless.
It is a shocking decision. .this should have been extended right down to Pembrokeshire to support the main links to the ROI. Fat chance of that happening now. You can bet Treorchy to Splott will be electrified though.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 9:34]

That would indicate joined up thinking based on long term planning. It's a fûcking joke PP. How on earth is the rest of Wales meant to prosper without appropriate infrastructure?

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 09:41 - Jul 20 with 2903 viewsfelixstowe_jack

GWR or more correctly the train leasing company have ordered enough Hitachi trains to replace their entire fleet. These will be maintained at the new depot just outside Swansea station. The current GWR depot at Landore will be completed closed meaning all the land inside the current triangle of Landore mainline and West Wales loops will be available for development and would provide an ideal site for a new Landore station.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 09:44 - Jul 20 with 2892 viewsPrivate_Partz

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 09:27 - Jul 20 by Swans_16

Why not stop at Bristol then? Disruption and tracks not suitable? How about living with short term pain of disruption? How about doubling the number of tracks to Swansea so that commuter trains can run separately to the express ones?
We are just making excuses to justify all transport infastructure ending in Cardiff when we should be looking to improve all links westwards and northwards from Swansea.

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 09:44 - Jul 20 with 2889 viewswaynekerr55

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 09:41 - Jul 20 by felixstowe_jack

GWR or more correctly the train leasing company have ordered enough Hitachi trains to replace their entire fleet. These will be maintained at the new depot just outside Swansea station. The current GWR depot at Landore will be completed closed meaning all the land inside the current triangle of Landore mainline and West Wales loops will be available for development and would provide an ideal site for a new Landore station.

I imagine it would cost a pretty penny just to deal with the knotweed infestation alone

Rail electrification to Swansea scrapped on 09:59 - Jul 20 with 2855 viewsjohnlangy

Letter to the EP already sent.

UK Government Treats Wales with Contempt

This week we've been treated to yet another example of how the UK government has absolute contempt for Wales and the Welsh people.

They announced a few days ago that HS2 is to start soon, the cost of which has risen to £104 billion. Then a few days later they announce that there's no money to complete rail electrification to Swansea.

When HS2 is completed £5 billion of that cost, which will benefit London and the South East firstly and the rest of England secondly and have virtually no benefit to Wales, will be allocated as 'Welsh non-identifiable expenditure'. Because it will be classed as a UK investment Wales will be assumed as having to pay our share of 5% based on population. This happens with every 'UK wide investment'. Wales gets saddled with 5% of the cost even though almost none of this 'UK wide investment' happens in Wales.

So remember this the next time you read in the biased Tory run UK press that Wales couldn't be independent because of the huge gap in revenue and expenditure. What you are reading is propoganda. You are being manipulated into believing that Wales and the Welsh people are not capable of governing themselves.

If Wales was NOT saddled with the cost of having to help England build its infrastructure the gap between revenue and expenditure would all of a sudden shrink remarkably.

Think about it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024