Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Running Watches 16:31 - Oct 30 with 3755 viewsfbreath

I am considering buying a sports watch to monitor running, heart rate etc.

Been looking on line at the Garmin Forerunner 235. Does anyone use one of these kind of devices, any information/recommendation would be appreciated.

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

Running Watches on 16:40 - Oct 30 with 3742 viewsJackfath

I’ve got a Tom Tom.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Running Watches on 16:44 - Oct 30 with 3733 viewsfbreath

Running Watches on 16:40 - Oct 30 by Jackfath

I’ve got a Tom Tom.

Which model do you have. Would you recommend it

Running Watches on 16:52 - Oct 30 with 3721 viewsJackfath

Running Watches on 16:44 - Oct 30 by fbreath

Which model do you have. Would you recommend it

I’ve got the spark 3 (I think). It’s got a built in hrm. Also has music capability via Bluetooth headphones. It also records my swims.

I’d recommend it. The app is improving all the time too. It’s a shame they’re trying to turn strava into Facebook.

I got mine on groupn for about £100

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Running Watches on 16:55 - Oct 30 with 3717 viewsmarchamjack

Running Watches on 16:40 - Oct 30 by Jackfath

I’ve got a Tom Tom.

Me too. Much better than the couple of Garmins I've had (last one which which I threw o er a hedge mid run in a fit of pique ad it had stopped again).

TomTom runner 3

Had it 2 years and never a problem. Easy to read and TomTom website synching runs is much better than the Garmin equivalent

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Running Watches on 16:59 - Oct 30 with 3708 viewsfbreath

Thanks for the replies will have a look at both these models.

Running Watches on 17:01 - Oct 30 with 3704 viewsJFSwan

Slightly different but I have the Garmin Edge 520 for cycling and I find the Garmin connect / strava platform excellent
Running Watches on 18:30 - Oct 30 with 3647 viewsHubert

Lots of debate about the accuracy of Heart Rate Monitors that are built into these watches - some evidence to suggest they are wildly inaccurate.

I have a Garmin Forerunner 220 with a standalone hrm that straps around just under my ribcage, and seems pretty accurate. Syncs nicely with Garmin Connect and Strava, and will be used in my VMLM2018 training :-)
Running Watches on 18:32 - Oct 30 with 3644 viewsJackfath

Running Watches on 18:30 - Oct 30 by Hubert

Lots of debate about the accuracy of Heart Rate Monitors that are built into these watches - some evidence to suggest they are wildly inaccurate.

I have a Garmin Forerunner 220 with a standalone hrm that straps around just under my ribcage, and seems pretty accurate. Syncs nicely with Garmin Connect and Strava, and will be used in my VMLM2018 training :-)

The TomTom is also a bit ropey when OW swimming. The GPS isn't too accurate. For the price though, it'll do for me.

Login to get fewer ads

Running Watches on 18:42 - Oct 30 with 3635 viewsjack247

Running Watches on 16:52 - Oct 30 by Jackfath

I’ve got the spark 3 (I think). It’s got a built in hrm. Also has music capability via Bluetooth headphones. It also records my swims.

I’d recommend it. The app is improving all the time too. It’s a shame they’re trying to turn strava into Facebook.

I got mine on groupn for about £100

I’ve got the previous model and it’s absolutely fine. Being waterproof was a big plus for me too. I’d also recommend it.
Running Watches on 19:28 - Oct 30 with 3615 viewsJohnw102

Just checked out the Which Best Buys and this is a copy of there rating for the Forerunner 35 which is about ½ the price of the 235 which they do not rte as highly.

"Don't let the rather basic look of the Forerunner 35 fool you; it's one of the best fitness watches we've ever tested. It's a well-made and accurate fitness watch that's crammed with useful features for both beginners and more-experienced runners. It's an ideal choice for tracking your exercise and it's one of the most user-friendly fitness watches available."

Hope this helps.

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

Running Watches on 19:40 - Oct 30 with 3604 viewsSY1973

I have a Apple Nike series 2 watch, it’s brilliant to monitor heart rate and other aspects of running, cycling, swimming etc.
Running Watches on 20:32 - Oct 30 with 3580 viewsAndy1300

I use the forerunner 235, so do quite a few that I run with, awesome kit for the money
I got one for the wife on an Amazon deal of the day for £179 about 8 weeks ago

if you're not fussy about the HRM built in then go for the 230, same watch without the HRM, can by a HRM chest strap seperately, more accurate apparently

Number 1 team in Wales

Running Watches on 20:34 - Oct 30 with 3580 viewsfbreath

Running Watches on 19:28 - Oct 30 by Johnw102

Just checked out the Which Best Buys and this is a copy of there rating for the Forerunner 35 which is about ½ the price of the 235 which they do not rte as highly.

"Don't let the rather basic look of the Forerunner 35 fool you; it's one of the best fitness watches we've ever tested. It's a well-made and accurate fitness watch that's crammed with useful features for both beginners and more-experienced runners. It's an ideal choice for tracking your exercise and it's one of the most user-friendly fitness watches available."

Hope this helps.

THanks for taking the trouble to look at which. What date was the test carried out?
How fo they rate the Tom Tom ones mentioned above.

Running Watches on 20:55 - Oct 30 with 3561 viewsleighton1318

I've just been sent the 235 as a replacement for the 230 which failed on me. Had it for just over a week. Garmin were decent about a replacement.

Initially I thought I'd have preferred a 230 but the 235 is pretty light and having the HRM added functionality is really good. I got some excellent data from a bike ride last week. I've been using it as an activity tracker (step counter) too. Battery life is excellent.

Google a guy called DC Rainmaker - he does fabulous detailed reviews online of all these items which allow you to really educate yourself before you buy.

Garmin Connect is good and if you are a cyclist Strava is brillliant. Both free.
Running Watches on 21:06 - Oct 30 with 3549 viewsgolly47

Im selling my garmin forerunner 10 and it's yours if your interested. Never been used, however the strap needs replacing.

Poll: What was worse?

Running Watches on 01:25 - Oct 31 with 3491 viewsLeonWasGod

I've got a Polar m400. Had a Garmin forerunner before that. Both chest strap HR types, and both fine for me. My missus has a wrist HR watch and it's readings are seriously suspicious, but I haven't checked it against a strap type. But others have reported they are reliable, so maybe she's just close to having a heart attack!

So just think about what features are important to you.

I look for simplicity and GPS as must haves. I rarely use HR these days as if you're running somewhere hilly it all goes to crap (to hit lower training zones I have to stop running or even walking quickly). And I roughly know what my heart rate's doing anyway.

I'd say it boils down to deciding:
a - do you want to record where you've run (if yes, need GPS), or do you only care about pace (if so get a cheaper foot pod version, also better for treadmills obviously).
b - do you want to regularly train using heart rate zones. If yes then a decent HR sensor is a must. I prefer chest types, but worth listening to experiences of others as I've rarely used them.
c - do you just like gadgets and having lots of things to play with. If yes, fill your boots - there's loads of flashy kit out there that'll do the basics and more.

I've never found much difference between brands once you get used to their interface.
Running Watches on 19:24 - Oct 31 with 3392 viewsDDCH

I have a Garmin vívoactive HR. It has GPS and Heart Rate monitor built in and has come right down in price as they are releasing a new model. The old rectangle one is now around £180

Have found it really good and the GPS is really reliable, and it syncs with other applications like Endomondo and Strava.

Halfords do a price match, and I have got a 7.5% off voucher somewhere I can dig out for you if you want it (digital print off type)

Good luck with the minefield of fitness tech

The poster formally known as DannyDyersChocolateHomunculus

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024