Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Early Retirement Yes or No 19:28 - Feb 25 with 8619 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Approaching 60, option to retire early, figures look okay. What would you do?

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Early Retirement Yes or No on 10:26 - Feb 27 with 1018 viewsnicky

Early Retirement Yes or No on 20:27 - Feb 25 by Dan_Swan

If things added up for me i'd jump at the chance! I've just turned 40, been working since I was 17, contributing to my pension since 19 & that time has just whizzed past, that tells me life does indeed fly by!

One chance we have, make the most of things whilst you have your health & are able to enjoy doing things. If things get tight financially maybe look at a part time job, something different from what you do now.

Good luck & enjoy whichever path you chose

Danny Boy the way tings are going there, stick it out and this time next year you'll be Head of bloody Finance mate!!!
Early Retirement Yes or No on 10:45 - Feb 27 with 1005 viewsnicky

Early Retirement Yes or No on 10:26 - Feb 27 by nicky

Danny Boy the way tings are going there, stick it out and this time next year you'll be Head of bloody Finance mate!!!

I spent the last 2 years of my working out wishing I could retire early. I'd worked out all the sums so I could go at 55.

Then serious ill health meant I retired at 50.

It was easy at first as my only concern was trying not to die for about a year. But now things have settled a bit so I'm living an almost normal early retirement at the age of 54.

Pros: you don't have to worry about any work related stuff any more; you don't know what day of the week it is most of the time; you can pretty well do what you want

Cons: unless you've saved well. even with an excellent private or works pension you will be worse off; therefore you've more time on your hands with less resources, it can get boring especially if you have a partner who is still working.

I had a year or so of trying not to die before all this hit me. The way I get round it, and to give my life a little structure when I'm well enough is to always get up reasonably early and always have something to do - no matter what. I constructed a small home office where I just sit and write, edit photos and video. All sorts of boring stuff. But it gives me a purpose.

I'm now thinking about starting some sort of small business and doing some voluntary work also

Of course, you could just veg out all day watching TV but that wasn't for me and it doesn't sound like it's for you either

Whatever you choose, and I would still choose to retire if it were me, the very best of luck to you Sir.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2018 10:46]
Early Retirement Yes or No on 11:04 - Feb 27 with 982 viewsBLAZE

No idea where you live or what your interests are, but if you're a handyman and enjoy tools, gardening and typical man stuff then check out Rough Edges. You can volunteer as little or as much time as you want and proceeds raised help the homeless in Swansea via Zac's Place

http://www.rough-edges.org.uk
Early Retirement Yes or No on 11:09 - Feb 27 with 973 viewstheloneranger

Early Retirement Yes or No on 11:04 - Feb 27 by BLAZE

No idea where you live or what your interests are, but if you're a handyman and enjoy tools, gardening and typical man stuff then check out Rough Edges. You can volunteer as little or as much time as you want and proceeds raised help the homeless in Swansea via Zac's Place

The best Man Cave known to man...!!!😁😁

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Early Retirement Yes or No on 11:35 - Feb 27 with 950 viewsProfessor

I used to want to retire at 55, but given that is now 5 years away its not going to happen. Partly will depend on what happens to the USS Pension Scheme. That said 60 is a realistic option with youngest 22 and mortgage paid. Even then it is unlikely I will ever fully retire as there is always consultancy and unpaid work.
Early Retirement Yes or No on 11:38 - Feb 27 with 948 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Early Retirement Yes or No on 11:04 - Feb 27 by BLAZE

Thanks for the tip, there's a couple of places that I can help near to me. I think I'll need something to give me that sense of purpose I've been 'turning up every day' for the best part of 40 years!

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Early Retirement Yes or No on 14:54 - Feb 27 with 878 viewsoldgrey

I was made redundant at 57. I reckoned the redundo payment would last me a few years and it did coupled with some well paid p/t consultancy. I always set extra money aside each month for the rainy day (thereby earning opprobrium and annual meanest man in British awards from the family). So when the rainy day came I was prepared. My first works pension paid out at 60 and coupled with rainy day savings I am financially secure.
I have no time for boredom. Walks most days. Looking after granddaughter. Reading. Karate. Playing guitar.
Go for it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024