Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Early Retirement Yes or No 19:28 - Feb 25 with 8614 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Approaching 60, option to retire early, figures look okay. What would you do?

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Early Retirement Yes or No on 21:09 - Feb 25 with 1702 viewsDr_Winston

If you can retire and afford to maintain your current lifestyle then do it. If working a couple of days a week on top of any pension means you can afford a better one and stave off a bit of boredom at the same time then that's a better option IMO.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Early Retirement Yes or No on 21:10 - Feb 25 with 1699 viewsPacemaker

Early Retirement Yes or No on 20:39 - Feb 25 by londonlisa2001

Not sure as yet Brynnie.

We have a dog now, so less opportunity for going away for any length of time!

The big one for me was in 2010. I'd worked without a break since 1988, and the 5 years before 2010 I had literally not had a single day off email, conference calls etc etc apart from Christmas day. Most I was away from the office was a week at a time, and even then, I spent at least 3 or 4 hours a day working. I was absolutely stressed out of my head.

When my project came to an end, I decided to take some time before the next one. We went to India for 2 months a week after I finished. And it changed my outlook on everything. I realised if I carried on I'd be seriously ill. And single ;-)

I haven't worked full time for anyone else since. Scaled everything back. Decided I preferred time rather than handbags and shoes and 'stuff'.

I had a similar epiphany when I was 40 changed jobs and cleared my head. I retired Nov 2016 aged 55 but my Mrs is still working full time so I was somewhat limited as to my options.

I have plenty of things to do and lots of interests, no bills but decided to go back to work until I am 60 but that will be it then, if I get fed up before that I am jacking it all in. My attitude is I am going to give it my all but I know I can just go whenever I feel like.

I now try and travel as much as possible and use my new salary to go and do whatever I want. I take unpaid leave if necessary. I am at the age where friends and colleagues are now dying and going to funerals rather than weddings. If it wasn't for e fact my Mrs is still working I would have retired.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Early Retirement Yes or No on 21:27 - Feb 25 with 1661 viewsmonmouth

Early Retirement Yes or No on 20:39 - Feb 25 by londonlisa2001

Not sure as yet Brynnie.

We have a dog now, so less opportunity for going away for any length of time!

The big one for me was in 2010. I'd worked without a break since 1988, and the 5 years before 2010 I had literally not had a single day off email, conference calls etc etc apart from Christmas day. Most I was away from the office was a week at a time, and even then, I spent at least 3 or 4 hours a day working. I was absolutely stressed out of my head.

When my project came to an end, I decided to take some time before the next one. We went to India for 2 months a week after I finished. And it changed my outlook on everything. I realised if I carried on I'd be seriously ill. And single ;-)

I haven't worked full time for anyone else since. Scaled everything back. Decided I preferred time rather than handbags and shoes and 'stuff'.

You sound like you could be my twin sometimes :)

I still like the handbags and shoes though.....

The key for all of us is to find something we love doing. I was very lucky to find that while relatively still young, when, as like Lisa, I had been stressed up to the executive eyeballs for years. Plus of course very fortunate to have the financial security to do it. I can see me 'working' (I don't see it as work, more fun) now until I'm 70. When you don't actually have to do it, it all feels very different.

NTJ, You are amazing. Have you thought of using your experiences to try and inspire ohers? Motivational lectures maybe? I said this last week but we never realise how fragile we are and how everything hangs by a thread, and that healthy time is all we really should cherish.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Early Retirement Yes or No on 21:30 - Feb 25 with 1654 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Thanks for the posts all and the perspective from NTJ. You've confirmed my thoughts and the need to do something useful on a part time or voluntary basis.

Off to see the boss in morning for some form filing.

Early Retirement Yes or No on 21:43 - Feb 25 with 1633 viewsoldcob

I retired at 55, since I've hit 60 continuous ill health. So go when you can my friend, you never know for how long your health will last.
Early Retirement Yes or No on 21:45 - Feb 25 with 1629 viewsmalagajack

Early Retirement Yes or No on 20:53 - Feb 25 by Algorfajack

I used to go under the name of llanedeyrnjack & as some on here may remember, my son collapsed & died at 20. Since then I have been diagnosed with heart problems & am on medication for the rest of my time.

When diagnosed, I was working as a delivery driver for UPS parcel company & the stress involved with that job was'nt helping. I was about 57 at the time & carried on working with UPS for a few more years but eventually ended up on the sick more than I was in work.

In 2015 I consulted an IFA & together we sorted out the finances which has allowed my wife & I to retire. Now we spend most of our time in Southern Spain only returning home when necessary.

Do it if you can mate as I can honestly say, you do not know what is round the corner.

Sorry about your loss, are you down my way? Have heart issues myself and can recommend Carlos Haya hospital in malaga for any heart related problems.
Early Retirement Yes or No on 21:48 - Feb 25 with 1619 viewsskacrazy

Without a doubt, YES!

Enjoy every second of life without financial worries and find different ways to fill your days. It doesn't mean you have to stop working. Just enjoy doing whatever makes you happy and look for ways to pay it forward.
Early Retirement Yes or No on 21:57 - Feb 25 with 1607 viewsAlgorfajack

Early Retirement Yes or No on 21:45 - Feb 25 by malagajack

Sorry about your loss, are you down my way? Have heart issues myself and can recommend Carlos Haya hospital in malaga for any heart related problems.

Hi Malagajack, thanks for your kind words.

I used to live in Algorfa which is near Torrevieja, Costa Blanca but have recently moved to Catral which is about 35 mins south of Alicante Airport, so not really near your good self.

I am still under the care of the cardiology dept in the Heath Hospital & in fact I have a follow up appointment in May as I am having some issues. This is why we return home every so often.

Thanks for the recommendation though

Prediction league winner 2016-2017 aka llanedeyrnjack

Login to get fewer ads

Early Retirement Yes or No on 22:14 - Feb 25 with 1575 viewsmonmouth

Sorry to plant this here, but this thread reminded me.

Can someone actually recommend a good financial planner/IFA. Not the usual commission based shark type. One of my best mates is retiring and pesters me for advice, but I'm not licenced, and my knowledge of personal financial planning, particularly tax and pensions, is pretty much antique these days. Plus I'd quite like to keep the friendship. He lives in the vale, so Swansea or Cardiff based would be grand.

Someone trustworthy with his interests rather than theirs in mind is the main thing. I am biased because I worked with a few, and I don't bloody trust any, not an inch! I always thought they should have 'salesman' as part of their name.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Early Retirement Yes or No on 22:38 - Feb 25 with 1547 viewsAlgorfajack

Early Retirement Yes or No on 22:14 - Feb 25 by monmouth

Can someone actually recommend a good financial planner/IFA. Not the usual commission based shark type. One of my best mates is retiring and pesters me for advice, but I'm not licenced, and my knowledge of personal financial planning, particularly tax and pensions, is pretty much antique these days. Plus I'd quite like to keep the friendship. He lives in the vale, so Swansea or Cardiff based would be grand.

Someone trustworthy with his interests rather than theirs in mind is the main thing. I am biased because I worked with a few, and I don't bloody trust any, not an inch! I always thought they should have 'salesman' as part of their name.

Hi Monmouth,

Can highly recommend Craig Palfrey of Penguin wealth mate. Thoroughly professional & extremely competent.

Contact details are:

Penguin, 2 Raleigh Walk, Brigantine Place, Cardiff, CF10 4LN
02920 450143

Colin

Prediction league winner 2016-2017 aka llanedeyrnjack

Early Retirement Yes or No on 22:50 - Feb 25 with 1534 viewsYossarian

Early Retirement Yes or No on 22:14 - Feb 25 by monmouth

I would highly recommend Lowndes Halsden in Cardiff- Costs me £5 a month and the advice given to me and the Mrs has been first class. You get a 2/3 hour meeting every 6 months to review everything but they’re always available for advice if you need it. Any forms are done by them for you to sign off. You won’t regret it.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

Early Retirement Yes or No on 22:53 - Feb 25 with 1531 viewsYossarian

And I retired at 54 and got a nice little part-time job for beer money. Saw a lot of people get nowhere near retirement age and peg it- Life is short, if you can, go for it and enjoy life- most of the best things happen to be free.....but it takes a lifetime for most of us to work that out. Good luck.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

Early Retirement Yes or No on 22:54 - Feb 25 with 1528 viewsAkinfenwa

Early Retirement Yes or No on 22:38 - Feb 25 by Algorfajack

Hi Monmouth,

Can highly recommend Craig Palfrey of Penguin wealth mate. Thoroughly professional & extremely competent.

Contact details are:

Penguin, 2 Raleigh Walk, Brigantine Place, Cardiff, CF10 4LN
02920 450143

Colin

These are the things that rattle around my head constantly. No fecking way I am working until 68. I am 40 now and already had a guts full of seeing people live happy lives when I am stressed to the max for a poxy £23k a year.

I have a nice house & car etc but is it all really worth it?

You only get one life so why waste it slaving away.

As soon as the mortgage is paid they can go and feck themselves. Be halving my hours and paying no tax. A grand a month and a happy life will do me anyday.
Early Retirement Yes or No on 23:05 - Feb 25 with 1507 viewsmalagajack

Early Retirement Yes or No on 21:57 - Feb 25 by Algorfajack

Hi Malagajack, thanks for your kind words.

I used to live in Algorfa which is near Torrevieja, Costa Blanca but have recently moved to Catral which is about 35 mins south of Alicante Airport, so not really near your good self.

I am still under the care of the cardiology dept in the Heath Hospital & in fact I have a follow up appointment in May as I am having some issues. This is why we return home every so often.

Thanks for the recommendation though

Best of luck with your appointment
Early Retirement Yes or No on 23:24 - Feb 25 with 1487 viewsPozuelosSideys

If the numbers stack up and youll be comfortable, walk away and enjoy life. Work is a means to an end, life is not about work.

As above, get a good financial planner. There are lots and lots of dodgy types around these days, particularly relating to pension advice. They dont give a toss about you, they just want to hit you with fees and commission. Word of mouth and actual examples you can talk to somebody about is the way forward.

Be careful as there are lots of scumbags out there.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Early Retirement Yes or No on 00:01 - Feb 26 with 1461 viewscontroversial_jack

If you can afford to retire, do it, I have.
Early Retirement Yes or No on 00:52 - Feb 26 with 1439 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Early Retirement Yes or No on 22:53 - Feb 25 by Yossarian

And I retired at 54 and got a nice little part-time job for beer money. Saw a lot of people get nowhere near retirement age and peg it- Life is short, if you can, go for it and enjoy life- most of the best things happen to be free.....but it takes a lifetime for most of us to work that out. Good luck.

The amount of boys and girls who left timet and died within a few years served as a warning to me.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Early Retirement Yes or No on 07:38 - Feb 26 with 1362 viewsraynor94

Been retired for three years now, was lucky enough to finish at 58, can thoroughly recommend it. If you get the chance and the figures are right do it!

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Early Retirement Yes or No on 08:50 - Feb 26 with 1311 viewsPegojack

I would say, if you can afford it, do it.

I am.

Please see the new thread I'm about to start - Goodbye HerefordJack, hello PegoJack.

Specially Malagajack and Algorfajack!
Early Retirement Yes or No on 09:16 - Feb 26 with 1294 viewsN_T_J

Early Retirement Yes or No on 20:57 - Feb 25 by londonlisa2001

Wow.

'I'll walk again without crutches".

You're a complete inspiration NTJ. And you absolutely will. Genuinely. With your attitude you will.

Thank you 😊😊
Early Retirement Yes or No on 09:26 - Feb 26 with 1282 viewsN_T_J

Early Retirement Yes or No on 21:30 - Feb 25 by JACKMANANDBOY

Thanks for the posts all and the perspective from NTJ. You've confirmed my thoughts and the need to do something useful on a part time or voluntary basis.

Off to see the boss in morning for some form filing.

Enjoy your meeting with the boss :)
Early Retirement Yes or No on 09:35 - Feb 26 with 1268 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Early Retirement Yes or No on 09:26 - Feb 26 by N_T_J

Enjoy your meeting with the boss :)

All done, papers signed by 8:30 and with HR for processing. Don't think the boss is awake yet, thinks he's signed a purchase order!

Hopefully out of here in the next couple of weeks.

All the very best on your recovery and thanks again on for your posts.

Early Retirement Yes or No on 09:37 - Feb 26 with 1266 viewsN_T_J

Early Retirement Yes or No on 21:27 - Feb 25 by monmouth

You sound like you could be my twin sometimes :)

I still like the handbags and shoes though.....

The key for all of us is to find something we love doing. I was very lucky to find that while relatively still young, when, as like Lisa, I had been stressed up to the executive eyeballs for years. Plus of course very fortunate to have the financial security to do it. I can see me 'working' (I don't see it as work, more fun) now until I'm 70. When you don't actually have to do it, it all feels very different.

NTJ, You are amazing. Have you thought of using your experiences to try and inspire ohers? Motivational lectures maybe? I said this last week but we never realise how fragile we are and how everything hangs by a thread, and that healthy time is all we really should cherish.

"NTJ, You are amazing. Have you thought of using your experiences to try and inspire ohers? Motivational lectures maybe? I said this last week but we never realise how fragile we are and how everything hangs by a thread, and that healthy time is all we really should cherish."

Thank you for your kind words Monmouth!

I fully intend on going back to the hospital I was in to speak with the people with the injures I had, I got off lightly compaired to a lot of the people in there. I was only in there 7 months compair to some who were in there over 2 years.
Early Retirement Yes or No on 09:58 - Feb 26 with 1241 viewsUxbridge

Early Retirement Yes or No on 21:10 - Feb 25 by Pacemaker

I had a similar epiphany when I was 40 changed jobs and cleared my head. I retired Nov 2016 aged 55 but my Mrs is still working full time so I was somewhat limited as to my options.

I have plenty of things to do and lots of interests, no bills but decided to go back to work until I am 60 but that will be it then, if I get fed up before that I am jacking it all in. My attitude is I am going to give it my all but I know I can just go whenever I feel like.

I now try and travel as much as possible and use my new salary to go and do whatever I want. I take unpaid leave if necessary. I am at the age where friends and colleagues are now dying and going to funerals rather than weddings. If it wasn't for e fact my Mrs is still working I would have retired.

Ha, sounds quite familiar. I took a similar view at 30 ... came to the realisation that the Life part of Work/Life balance was infinitely more important than the other. Career suicide in a way, particularly moving back to Swansea, but I'm much happier now than I was then and it's worked out pretty well.

If all goes to plan, hope to go to 4 days a week at 50 and then the odd bit of project work from 55. Plans don't always work out though!

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Early Retirement Yes or No on 10:04 - Feb 26 with 1226 viewsN_T_J

Early Retirement Yes or No on 09:35 - Feb 26 by JACKMANANDBOY

All done, papers signed by 8:30 and with HR for processing. Don't think the boss is awake yet, thinks he's signed a purchase order!

Hopefully out of here in the next couple of weeks.

All the very best on your recovery and thanks again on for your posts.

Bet it's a great feeling for you you!! Enjoy
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024