Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border 08:03 - Mar 8 with 4604 viewswestwalesed

Can someone enlighten me?

As I understand it Switzerland is outside the EU and the Customs Union but has decided to be part of Schengen. Every time I drive into Switzerland there are zero border patrols? Is this not the case?

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 14:21 - Mar 8 with 1726 viewsBatterseajack

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 14:01 - Mar 8 by Lohengrin

Want what? How much dislocation to the everyday life of the boys who operate, say, the binwagons in Wexford would the presence of the Irish Taoiseach on a UK Economic Council bring?

Without digging for stats, Sherp, let’s assume roughly half of all Irish economic activity is linked directly to trade with the UK, Northern Ireland and mainland. What happens if The EU decide to go down a punitive tariff route? There will rapidly come a point where people will start to say what’s the alternative?

"There will rapidly come a point where people will start to say what’s the alternative?"

UK remaining in the EU?
Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 15:18 - Mar 8 with 1691 viewssherpajacob

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 14:01 - Mar 8 by Lohengrin

Want what? How much dislocation to the everyday life of the boys who operate, say, the binwagons in Wexford would the presence of the Irish Taoiseach on a UK Economic Council bring?

Without digging for stats, Sherp, let’s assume roughly half of all Irish economic activity is linked directly to trade with the UK, Northern Ireland and mainland. What happens if The EU decide to go down a punitive tariff route? There will rapidly come a point where people will start to say what’s the alternative?

Shirley Ireland would want to be Global Ireland, trading freely under WTO rules with the rest of the world.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 15:29 - Mar 8 with 1680 viewsLohengrin

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 15:18 - Mar 8 by sherpajacob

Shirley Ireland would want to be Global Ireland, trading freely under WTO rules with the rest of the world.

I’m not convinced that there would be quite the same demand for Kerrygold in Guatemala that there is here, Sherp?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 15:58 - Mar 8 with 1658 viewslondonlisa2001

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 15:29 - Mar 8 by Lohengrin

I’m not convinced that there would be quite the same demand for Kerrygold in Guatemala that there is here, Sherp?

I know you said 'ignoring stats' Loh, but the problem with your argument is the stats!

Ireland export a huge amount more to the combined EU than they do to us (they export more to Belgium alone than they do to the UK, including NI).

The US is also a far bigger export market for them. It's their biggest single county market by a long way.

Food and drink - we are their biggest market, but that pales when you look at the stuff where they make their real money - pharmaceuticals for example (which accounts for the Belgium connection).
Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 16:18 - Mar 8 with 1641 viewsLohengrin

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 15:58 - Mar 8 by londonlisa2001

I know you said 'ignoring stats' Loh, but the problem with your argument is the stats!

Ireland export a huge amount more to the combined EU than they do to us (they export more to Belgium alone than they do to the UK, including NI).

The US is also a far bigger export market for them. It's their biggest single county market by a long way.

Food and drink - we are their biggest market, but that pales when you look at the stuff where they make their real money - pharmaceuticals for example (which accounts for the Belgium connection).

The ‘ignoring the stats’ bit was just a reflection of my bone-idleness, I couldn’t be bothered to dig but I’ve roused myself a bit and found this from RTE. I’ll post it up because it bolsters my argument, and as you know I’m practiced in the art of selective quotation.

It is interesting though, my bias notwithstanding.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0913/904427-irish-exports-to-uk/
[Post edited 8 Mar 2018 16:20]

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 16:30 - Mar 8 with 1626 viewssherpajacob

Stop talking Ireland down you snowflake.

There will be a massive demand to go with all the Jam they will be buying from the UK.

It will happen, it just needs the doubters to start believing.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 16:49 - Mar 8 with 1605 viewsHighjack

After a quick google I can reveal that kerrygold is readily available in USA but trumps wall is making it difficult for smugglers to move it

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 16:54 - Mar 8 with 1596 viewsLoyal

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 11:08 - Mar 8 by trampie

We should have nothing to do with Northern Ireland it's a basket case, a drain on our resources.
Let them fight it out, without British involvement my money is on the South.

The irish both north and south can find a war in amongst a chess match and hide behind religion and politics.

I'm thinking about the youngsters, the products of a non conflict generation, and so should you mate, regardless of your own politics.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Login to get fewer ads

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 17:00 - Mar 8 with 1585 viewslondonlisa2001

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 16:18 - Mar 8 by Lohengrin

The ‘ignoring the stats’ bit was just a reflection of my bone-idleness, I couldn’t be bothered to dig but I’ve roused myself a bit and found this from RTE. I’ll post it up because it bolsters my argument, and as you know I’m practiced in the art of selective quotation.

It is interesting though, my bias notwithstanding.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0913/904427-irish-exports-to-uk/
[Post edited 8 Mar 2018 16:20]

Indeed, but you will note from that very article, exports to the UK are 17% which is quite a long way short of the 'about half' argument.

They will undoubtedly lose out, as will all other EU partners. Unfortunately for us, they will not lose out anywhere near as much as we will, and certainly not enough to consider bombing out the EU to come all aboard the ship stupidity with us (which was your point)...

Ireland's economy has changed to the point of being almost unrecognisable from the largely agricultural based economy of a couple of decades ago when your argument would have been far more valid (ignoring the whole 'not liking us very much' aspect).
Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 17:20 - Mar 8 with 1561 viewstrampie

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 16:54 - Mar 8 by Loyal

The irish both north and south can find a war in amongst a chess match and hide behind religion and politics.

I'm thinking about the youngsters, the products of a non conflict generation, and so should you mate, regardless of your own politics.

Charity begins at home, Ireland is nothing to do with me, what about Palestinian or Kurdish children ?

The English should keep their beaks out of foreign lands and then they will be safer in their own beds.

Britannia should have nothing to do with Northern Ireland, Northern Ireland is a basket case full of nutters.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 17:21 - Mar 8 with 1557 viewsLohengrin

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 17:00 - Mar 8 by londonlisa2001

Indeed, but you will note from that very article, exports to the UK are 17% which is quite a long way short of the 'about half' argument.

They will undoubtedly lose out, as will all other EU partners. Unfortunately for us, they will not lose out anywhere near as much as we will, and certainly not enough to consider bombing out the EU to come all aboard the ship stupidity with us (which was your point)...

Ireland's economy has changed to the point of being almost unrecognisable from the largely agricultural based economy of a couple of decades ago when your argument would have been far more valid (ignoring the whole 'not liking us very much' aspect).

Did you make mental note of the line “but that figure leaps to 44% when foreign-owned firms are excluded?” It’s worth honing in on that because as south Wales has bitterly experienced over the last decade or so when these firms consider the tax and grant teat has been milked dry they up sticks.

Sands do have the nasty habit of shifting beneath our feet.

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 17:25 - Mar 8 with 1545 viewsLoyal

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 17:20 - Mar 8 by trampie

Charity begins at home, Ireland is nothing to do with me, what about Palestinian or Kurdish children ?

The English should keep their beaks out of foreign lands and then they will be safer in their own beds.

Britannia should have nothing to do with Northern Ireland, Northern Ireland is a basket case full of nutters.

As a british subject and having served in northern Ireland I met many British people so as much as Scotland the north of ireland deserves our support and protection. Our politics are different, we will never agree.
As for Plestinian children, what about Israeli ? Same principles, different politics.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 17:30 - Mar 8 with 1528 viewslondonlisa2001

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 17:21 - Mar 8 by Lohengrin

Did you make mental note of the line “but that figure leaps to 44% when foreign-owned firms are excluded?” It’s worth honing in on that because as south Wales has bitterly experienced over the last decade or so when these firms consider the tax and grant teat has been milked dry they up sticks.

Sands do have the nasty habit of shifting beneath our feet.

Yes I did, but in this context it doesn't matter. The Irish have worked hard to attract those companies in and won't throw them out with the bath water. Their whole economic growth is based on them being there. It's those companies that account for that enormous figure for pharmaceutical exports I mentioned earlier.

The average Irish youngster sees their future as part of a booming Europe.
Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 17:32 - Mar 8 with 1528 viewstrampie

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 17:25 - Mar 8 by Loyal

As a british subject and having served in northern Ireland I met many British people so as much as Scotland the north of ireland deserves our support and protection. Our politics are different, we will never agree.
As for Plestinian children, what about Israeli ? Same principles, different politics.

As a Welsh person that would never serve the English crown I have met many Welsh people that think we should have nothing to do with Northern Ireland, that we should pull out of there and let the real and the plastic paddies sort their own differences out.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 17:35 - Mar 8 with 1524 viewslondonlisa2001

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 17:20 - Mar 8 by trampie

"Northern Ireland is a basket case full of nutters."

The irony...
Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 17:53 - Mar 8 with 1498 viewsLoyal

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 17:32 - Mar 8 by trampie

As a Welsh person that would never serve the English crown I have met many Welsh people that think we should have nothing to do with Northern Ireland, that we should pull out of there and let the real and the plastic paddies sort their own differences out.

Of course when you say 'we' you mean Britain, your trying to have it both ways.

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 17:53 - Mar 8 with 1498 viewstrampie

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 17:35 - Mar 8 by londonlisa2001

"Northern Ireland is a basket case full of nutters."

The irony...

The death toll speaks volumes.

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 18:01 - Mar 8 with 1480 viewstrampie

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 17:53 - Mar 8 by Loyal

Of course when you say 'we' you mean Britain, your trying to have it both ways.

I have heard and occasionally been part of conversations over the years and most people during those conversations didn't think we should have anything to do with Northern Ireland, 'nothing to do with us' , 'not our problem' etc.
Those people were Welsh, you can call them British if you like, it makes no odds, the bottom line is they did not think we should be out there.

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 18:41 - Mar 8 with 1449 viewsacejack3065

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 18:01 - Mar 8 by trampie

I have heard and occasionally been part of conversations over the years and most people during those conversations didn't think we should have anything to do with Northern Ireland, 'nothing to do with us' , 'not our problem' etc.
Those people were Welsh, you can call them British if you like, it makes no odds, the bottom line is they did not think we should be out there.

I love the conversations that you have with yourself tramp. Amazingly they always seem to reaffirm your world view.
Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 18:53 - Mar 8 with 1442 viewstrampie

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 18:41 - Mar 8 by acejack3065

I love the conversations that you have with yourself tramp. Amazingly they always seem to reaffirm your world view.

We are products of our environment , it was a very common valley Welsh viewpoint.

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 19:00 - Mar 8 with 1430 viewsLohengrin

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 18:53 - Mar 8 by trampie

We are products of our environment , it was a very common valley Welsh viewpoint.

This mythical valley, the Welsh Brigadoon, that only you encounter where they have communism in place of Gene Kelly’s winning smile...

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 22:59 - Mar 8 with 1366 viewsKilkennyjack

Brits out of the north of Ireland. Its obvious.

A united Ireland is inevitable.

The only question left is when. ☘️

Beware of the Risen People

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 23:31 - Mar 8 with 1338 viewsParsSwans

Switzerland does have border controls I go out 4-5 times per year my son Lives there and have spent a lot of time out there. In fact they are as tight as anywhere you will find. Schaffhausen and Konstanz on north have tight German / Swiss controls and the Swiss are very anti Albanian immigration coming through from Austria and Germany
Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 08:18 - Mar 9 with 1288 viewsNookiejack

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 17:00 - Mar 8 by londonlisa2001

We run a £60bn trade deficit with the EU. So the EU will undoubtedly lose out.

Ireland's economy has changed because of its 10% Corporate Tax Rate - which has enabled multi nationals to set up companies there for tax avoidance. The EU are not very happy about it.

https://www.ft.com/content/d6a75b56-215b-11e8-a895-1ba1f72c2c11

"Multinational companies have made such extensive use of Ireland to funnel royalties – a common way to shift profits and avoid tax – that these payments averaged 23 per cent of the country’s annual gross domestic product between 2010 and 2015, according to a European Commission report seen by the Financial Times."

Why is it also sheer stupidity not to want even more political integration if we remain, i.e. United States of Europe, having to adopt a single currency, continuing mass immigtaion?
Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 14:01 - Mar 9 with 1226 viewsacejack3065

Switzerland Border vs Northern Ireland Border on 18:53 - Mar 8 by trampie

Oh yeah? Which valley?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024