Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Buying Electrical Goods 07:43 - Apr 26 with 2967 viewsSTID2017

Washing machine broke down yesterday and I know from past experience it will be silly money to get it repaired.
Anyone bougt one recently ?
Any experience with the better ones that offer 5 year guarantees - are they that much better .
Any thoughts ?

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Buying Electrical Goods on 09:21 - Apr 26 with 2399 viewsAmbergambler

How long have you had it?
Buying Electrical Goods on 09:39 - Apr 26 with 2387 viewsSTID2017

Buying Electrical Goods on 09:21 - Apr 26 by Ambergambler

How long have you had it?

About three years.
It's a Hotpoint which came with a standard one year guarantee.
My Hotpoint tumble dryer was sold to me by Hotpoint at a discounted price (they offered it in lieu of modifying one of those at risk of catching fire). That broke down after 15 months.
I tried the "not fit for purpose / only just over 12 months old" line.
They weren't interested and wanted to charge £130 to repair it or I could buy a new one from them for £170 !
Turned out to be the start switch which I replaced myself for £17 and is stiil going.
Suspect it might be the same fault with the washing machine but looking at alternatives

Buying Electrical Goods on 09:47 - Apr 26 with 2383 viewsstevethejack

I bought a Miele from ao.com a month ago, just short of £800. Expensive but have a fantastic reputation and life expectancy of 20 years.

In our house machine is on at least twice a day so gets used massively.
Buying Electrical Goods on 10:00 - Apr 26 with 2374 viewsdickythorpe

Bosch, superb make.
Buying Electrical Goods on 10:20 - Apr 26 with 2349 viewsAmbergambler

Buying Electrical Goods on 09:39 - Apr 26 by STID2017

About three years.
It's a Hotpoint which came with a standard one year guarantee.
My Hotpoint tumble dryer was sold to me by Hotpoint at a discounted price (they offered it in lieu of modifying one of those at risk of catching fire). That broke down after 15 months.
I tried the "not fit for purpose / only just over 12 months old" line.
They weren't interested and wanted to charge £130 to repair it or I could buy a new one from them for £170 !
Turned out to be the start switch which I replaced myself for £17 and is stiil going.
Suspect it might be the same fault with the washing machine but looking at alternatives

You have legal rights under the Sale of Goods act which gives you protection for up to 6 years from date of purchase.

I had a problem with a tv from Argos that broke down after 3 years. I contacted Argos and quoted the Sale of Goods act so they knew I knew my rights (don't be fobbed off with ''it's out of the 1 year guarantee" rubbish). They said I had to get a report from a tv repair person to say it was a fault with the tv and not misuse.

I did that, sent the report, Argos gave me a new tv, took the old one away and gave a refund for the cost of the report.

You must contact the head office of the retailer (not the manufaturer) and don't be fobbed off, make sure you know your rights (you can google it) and persevere.

Good luck!
Buying Electrical Goods on 10:21 - Apr 26 with 2345 viewsJohnw102

Bought a Miele about 8 years ago used at least once a day ever since, never missed a beat and still 2 years of its guarantee to run. Expensive to buy in first place, but you get what you pay for. Buy cheap, buy twice.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2018 10:23]

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

Buying Electrical Goods on 10:22 - Apr 26 with 2343 viewsJoe_bradshaw

We've had a John Lewis own brand for 6 years. 3 year guarantee and never given a problem.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Buying Electrical Goods on 10:27 - Apr 26 with 2337 viewsAmbergambler

Buying Electrical Goods on 10:21 - Apr 26 by Johnw102

Bought a Miele about 8 years ago used at least once a day ever since, never missed a beat and still 2 years of its guarantee to run. Expensive to buy in first place, but you get what you pay for. Buy cheap, buy twice.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2018 10:23]

From personal experience can't agree with that one. The Beko we've got cost less than £200 and it's brilliant and still going strong after 9 years of use. The one before was a cheap Indesit and that lasted 10 years.
Sometimes I think it's just down to luck.
Login to get fewer ads

Buying Electrical Goods on 10:32 - Apr 26 with 2334 viewsjackal

Buying Electrical Goods on 09:47 - Apr 26 by stevethejack

I bought a Miele from ao.com a month ago, just short of £800. Expensive but have a fantastic reputation and life expectancy of 20 years.

I've got a Miele too. Had it a long time and never a minutes problem. Touches wood!
Buying Electrical Goods on 10:38 - Apr 26 with 2330 viewsAmbergambler

It should last for 20 years at that price!
Buying Electrical Goods on 11:08 - Apr 26 with 2307 viewsSTID2017

Thanks Steve.
I was looking at Siemens which have five year guarantee and 10 years on the motor, for about £600

Buying Electrical Goods on 11:10 - Apr 26 with 2305 viewsSTID2017

Our first washing machine was a run of the mill make and last twenty years.
How times have changed !

Buying Electrical Goods on 11:40 - Apr 26 with 2265 viewsSTID2017

Buying Electrical Goods on 10:20 - Apr 26 by Ambergambler

You have legal rights under the Sale of Goods act which gives you protection for up to 6 years from date of purchase.

I had a problem with a tv from Argos that broke down after 3 years. I contacted Argos and quoted the Sale of Goods act so they knew I knew my rights (don't be fobbed off with ''it's out of the 1 year guarantee" rubbish). They said I had to get a report from a tv repair person to say it was a fault with the tv and not misuse.

I did that, sent the report, Argos gave me a new tv, took the old one away and gave a refund for the cost of the report.

You must contact the head office of the retailer (not the manufaturer) and don't be fobbed off, make sure you know your rights (you can google it) and persevere.

Good luck!

Thanks for your advice.
Phoned the manufacturer first just to check cost of repair and how old the machine was - turns out it was 7 years old.
Plus I couldn't find my original purchase details (although I am usually very careful about things like that) so it seems I cannot pursue it.
They wanted £120 to repair a six year old machine, when a new one would cost £250 from Currys.
Just for what would probably be a switch costing £20 - £30

Buying Electrical Goods on 12:05 - Apr 26 with 2242 viewsAmbergambler

Buying Electrical Goods on 11:40 - Apr 26 by STID2017

Thanks for your advice.
Phoned the manufacturer first just to check cost of repair and how old the machine was - turns out it was 7 years old.
Plus I couldn't find my original purchase details (although I am usually very careful about things like that) so it seems I cannot pursue it.
They wanted £120 to repair a six year old machine, when a new one would cost £250 from Currys.
Just for what would probably be a switch costing £20 - £30

Sometimes products are older than you would think when you buy them so the important thing is proof of purchase as it's the retailer you complain to. Without that, not sure what you can do

Worth remembering for next time - keep receipts!
Buying Electrical Goods on 12:24 - Apr 26 with 2231 viewsgadgetuk

Zanussi washing machine - had ours for years with no bother, at the time it was the 2nd most reliable machine after Bosch
Buying Electrical Goods on 12:41 - Apr 26 with 2216 viewsSPboy

Give these guys a try. Always found them reliable but there will be a call out charge. Whatever needs replacing they will tell you if it’s worth it. They will also recommend, supply & fit new at decent prices

http://www.directsuppliesskewen.co.uk/
Buying Electrical Goods on 14:37 - Apr 26 with 2166 viewsSTID2017

Buying Electrical Goods on 12:41 - Apr 26 by SPboy

Give these guys a try. Always found them reliable but there will be a call out charge. Whatever needs replacing they will tell you if it’s worth it. They will also recommend, supply & fit new at decent prices

http://www.directsuppliesskewen.co.uk/

I believe their call out charge is £60 ?
As their shop is about 150 yards from my house, it's quicker for me to unplug the machine and take it to them !
I am being flippant sorry.
Thanks everyone for your advice
[Post edited 26 Apr 2018 14:38]

Buying Electrical Goods on 15:16 - Apr 26 with 2139 viewsswanforthemoney

Buying Electrical Goods on 10:00 - Apr 26 by dickythorpe

Bosch, superb make.

Im with you on this one.
Miele are probably better machines, but cost a fortune.

I stand in the North Stand

Buying Electrical Goods on 15:21 - Apr 26 with 2132 viewsDJack

Buying Electrical Goods on 10:20 - Apr 26 by Ambergambler

Good luck!

"You have legal rights under the Sale of Goods act which gives you protection for up to 6 years from date of purchase. "

This does not include wearing parts.

Incidentally, the six year warranty rule was created and implemented by the EU - the barstards!

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Buying Electrical Goods on 15:57 - Apr 26 with 2113 viewsmajorraglan

A common fault with washing machines is the brushes, so it may be worth checking that out first.
We have a Siemens, it was a little more expensive than other brands but it has been excellent. We bought it from a local supplier in Carmarthen after our last one broke down. They were competitive on price, delivered, fitted the new machine and took the old one away all in the price, fantastic service!
Buying Electrical Goods on 18:49 - Apr 26 with 2030 viewsSTID2017

Buying Electrical Goods on 15:57 - Apr 26 by majorraglan

A common fault with washing machines is the brushes, so it may be worth checking that out first.
We have a Siemens, it was a little more expensive than other brands but it has been excellent. We bought it from a local supplier in Carmarthen after our last one broke down. They were competitive on price, delivered, fitted the new machine and took the old one away all in the price, fantastic service!

Just took the plung and bought a Siemens.
5 year parts and labour guarantee, with 10 years on the motor and brushes.
More expensive than the Hotpoint, but got a feeling it will be a better investment.
Plus I'll copy the reciepts in triplicate just in case I need them in 5 and a half years !

Buying Electrical Goods on 19:07 - Apr 26 with 2012 viewsjack2jack

Buying Electrical Goods on 11:10 - Apr 26 by STID2017

Our first washing machine was a run of the mill make and last twenty years.
How times have changed !

Built in Obsolescence, comes as standard with most things, keeps the wheels of industry turning.
Good luck with your new purchase.👍
Buying Electrical Goods on 19:53 - Apr 26 with 1987 viewsmajorraglan

Buying Electrical Goods on 18:49 - Apr 26 by STID2017

Just took the plung and bought a Siemens.
5 year parts and labour guarantee, with 10 years on the motor and brushes.
More expensive than the Hotpoint, but got a feeling it will be a better investment.
Plus I'll copy the reciepts in triplicate just in case I need them in 5 and a half years !

With a guarantee like that you need to make sure you scan it and e mail it to yourself. Lots of receipts are now printed using new technology and beleive it or not the ink or whatever they use starts to fade and will eventually disappear.
Buying Electrical Goods on 20:08 - Apr 26 with 1978 viewslifelong

We’ve had our washing machine for 50 years.

It’s similar to this one.

Buying Electrical Goods on 20:13 - Apr 26 with 1972 viewsexiledclaseboy

My washing machine plays a nice little tune when the cycle has finished. It didn’t cost £800. I’ve had cheaper cars.

Poll: Tory leader

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024