Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Clucas 6m 10:38 - Aug 9 with 7491 viewsmagicdaps10

Well well well!!

12 months on from 14 odd million.

How is Jenkins still in a job?

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Clucas 6m on 11:38 - Aug 9 with 1487 viewsomarjack

Clucas 6m on 11:36 - Aug 9 by TheResurrection

He could well have been. In fact it's the most obvious answer. You don't know how it works mate and what metrics they use.

Surely..a player like Clucas could have fit the "Moneyball bill"..but there signings are supposed to be very economical and that's the whole point of them..like Celina and Asoro etc..

But for 15 m? That's on the high end of what we'd pay for a transfer..that's the exact opposite of the point of using a different scouting system.

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Clucas 6m on 11:40 - Aug 9 with 1488 viewsMorfa_Same

So he'd rather play for Stoke in the Championship than Burnley in Europe just because they'll pay him a bit more?

We're well rid.
Clucas 6m on 11:41 - Aug 9 with 1468 viewsjack247

Clucas 6m on 11:36 - Aug 9 by Jango

Just going over old ground here lads. We know we overpaid but nothing can change that now. If potter thinks we need clucas out to sign woods and £6m allows that to happen then we bite the bullet. We are starting from scratch and rebuilding, taking the same swipe at the club time and time again is not gonna change anything.

Absolutely. We’re never getting back anything like what we paid for Clucas. He didn’t have much of a season and we’re in the midst of a fire sale.

Don’t look at it as a £9m loss or a player losing half his value in a season or whatever. Look at it as getting rid of a player who doesn’t want to be here and the manager doesn’t want, hopefully freeing up the funds to sign Potters top target.
Clucas 6m on 11:47 - Aug 9 with 1409 viewsTom1912

If Clucas a “moneyball” signing that means someone at the club thought he was undervalued at £14m or whatever it was we paid for him.

Which is even more alarming.
Clucas 6m on 11:51 - Aug 9 with 1387 viewsjack247

Clucas 6m on 11:47 - Aug 9 by Tom1912

If Clucas a “moneyball” signing that means someone at the club thought he was undervalued at £14m or whatever it was we paid for him.

Which is even more alarming.

The only positive from that is they do at least seem to have learned their lesson, albeit it took them far too long. On the face of it, we seem to have a manager and recruitment team that know the type of player they want and can work within a restrictive budget.
Clucas 6m on 11:52 - Aug 9 with 1376 viewshobo

He could well have been. In fact it's the most obvious answer. You don't know how it works mate and what metrics they use.

Paying £17m for someone who doesn't do much is incompetence. If he cost us £1m then I'd agree it would be a moneyball signing. Fact is that he wasn't. End of story
Clucas 6m on 11:58 - Aug 9 with 1314 viewsJackSomething

I have only a superficial understanding of moneyball and I can tell you that a 26-year old at around £14m is practically the opposite of a moneyball signing. The system doesn't even translate properly from baseball with it's endless statistics used as a means to measure performance.

A young player like Mawson would be closer to a good example, someone who played well for us and who we made a huge profit on (which would have been even more had we not been relegated). It's not rocket science and it's something most clubs try and do, sign a young player you can develop, or a good player who's flopped at his current club and you think will turn it around at your club, a player who you think would be better in a different position...

Clucas clearly had nothing to do with a 'moneyball' system (and has anyone at the club ever confirmed we were using such an approach?), he had to do with selling Gylfi late without planning ahead for new signings and the club panicking. They thought buying an average player at a vastly inflated price was better than signing no-one. The kind of thinking that has pervaded the club the last few years and which they are now paying for.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Clucas 6m on 12:12 - Aug 9 with 1235 viewsKrisP

Clucas 6m on 10:47 - Aug 9 by hobo

Been doing it for years. If we'd have got a more realistic figure for Mawson then we wouldn't have to offload 3 players just to get Woods.

Surely a realistic fee is one someone will pay? Any other fee is fantastical. Don't forget we also rejected a £7m bid for Jordan Ayew in the hope of getting something more "realistic" and now we are all but giving him away.
Login to get fewer ads

Clucas 6m on 12:21 - Aug 9 with 1155 viewsangryjack

Am I the only one who thinks stoke are overpaying by paying us 6 million because in all honestly he worth half that
Clucas 6m on 12:23 - Aug 9 with 1125 viewsomarjack

Clucas 6m on 12:21 - Aug 9 by angryjack

Am I the only one who thinks stoke are overpaying by paying us 6 million because in all honestly he worth half that

A club that spends 5 m on 29 years old McClean and 10 m on Ince is hardly to expected to make smart decisions.

But tbf..Clucas did well at Hull at that level..So I'd say 6 m on him is better than the 6 m they spent on that Etebo guy for example.

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Clucas 6m on 12:29 - Aug 9 with 1076 viewsangryjack

Clucas 6m on 12:23 - Aug 9 by omarjack

A club that spends 5 m on 29 years old McClean and 10 m on Ince is hardly to expected to make smart decisions.

But tbf..Clucas did well at Hull at that level..So I'd say 6 m on him is better than the 6 m they spent on that Etebo guy for example.

The main difference is stoke want get back up and willing to gamble and spend wheras we happy just to make money and hopefully survive
Clucas 6m on 12:33 - Aug 9 with 1029 viewsjasper_T

Clucas 6m on 12:29 - Aug 9 by angryjack

The main difference is stoke want get back up and willing to gamble and spend wheras we happy just to make money and hopefully survive

We'll do better than them this season.
Clucas 6m on 12:36 - Aug 9 with 988 viewsJango

If we sign Woods and keep Fernandez I genuinely think we’ve got a better and more balanced starting 11 than last year whilst significantly reducing wage bill and bring a large sum of cash in. We have the loan window to fill any gaps if need be which potter has said we’ll use.

* when everyone is fit.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2018 12:37]
Clucas 6m on 12:41 - Aug 9 with 926 viewsangryjack

Clucas 6m on 12:33 - Aug 9 by jasper_T

We'll do better than them this season.

Stop smoking the crack Jasper mush it's no good for you
Clucas 6m on 12:43 - Aug 9 with 905 viewsangryjack

Clucas 6m on 12:36 - Aug 9 by Jango

If we sign Woods and keep Fernandez I genuinely think we’ve got a better and more balanced starting 11 than last year whilst significantly reducing wage bill and bring a large sum of cash in. We have the loan window to fill any gaps if need be which potter has said we’ll use.

* when everyone is fit.

Let's hope we get no injuries then because we got f uk all on bench or backmup
Clucas 6m on 12:43 - Aug 9 with 904 views34dfgdf54

Clucas 6m on 12:36 - Aug 9 by Jango

* when everyone is fit.

Fernandez looks to be off.
Clucas 6m on 12:45 - Aug 9 with 879 viewsjack247

The main difference is they’ve got a phenomenally wealthy owner who is willing to bankroll them.
Clucas 6m on 12:48 - Aug 9 with 855 viewsangryjack

Clucas 6m on 12:45 - Aug 9 by jack247

The main difference is they’ve got a phenomenally wealthy owner who is willing to bankroll them.

And we've got starving k unts who want take take take
Clucas 6m on 12:50 - Aug 9 with 824 viewsicecoldjack

Clucas 6m on 12:43 - Aug 9 by 34dfgdf54

Fernandez looks to be off.

It will be a massive upheaval if we lose Fernandez along with the other centre halves .

Doesn't this mean we've got just 1 senior centre half only ?

It's crazy stuff and especially how heartening it was for all the jacks last week at Sheffield, there was real green shoots of recovery.

It's shades of Sousa in his first season when we had nobody fit and Martinez stole.tge family silver.

Clucas goes for 6m because in this crazy market that's what he's worth. Something seems odd that we paid £15m for him, not even Huw is that fookin dull like.. must have been a kick back somewhere surely ?
Clucas 6m on 12:52 - Aug 9 with 800 viewsgiantstoneater

Clucas 6m on 10:46 - Aug 9 by pembsjack

What is the Yanks attraction to Huw? Overpaying and selling at cut price. Not exactly the ideal man at the helm of an organisation trying to keep their shareholders happy.

He knows too much!!
Clucas 6m on 13:06 - Aug 9 with 697 viewsBadlands

We were desperate and there was money which should have kept us up.
Lucas didn't work
Bony was injured.
Clements dealings flopped.
Mawson was hyped to high heaven and was never a high price CB IMO.
When things haven't worked we've moaned when hey have (Sigurdsson, Bony, Fabianski) the player takes the plaudits.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Clucas 6m on 13:10 - Aug 9 with 670 viewsTheResurrection

Clucas 6m on 11:38 - Aug 9 by omarjack

Surely..a player like Clucas could have fit the "Moneyball bill"..but there signings are supposed to be very economical and that's the whole point of them..like Celina and Asoro etc..

But for 15 m? That's on the high end of what we'd pay for a transfer..that's the exact opposite of the point of using a different scouting system.

That shit system may have worked at one point, in baseball or whatever Shite sport it sprang up from, but every club chews data analytics now, so it doesn't mean you'll get them that cheap anymore, it just means they looked at his total sprints, km covered, left foot touches etc etc. Clucas ran his guts out for Hull in 2017, he'd have shown up well on the stats.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Clucas 6m on 13:12 - Aug 9 with 649 viewshobo

Clucas 6m on 13:10 - Aug 9 by TheResurrection

That shit system may have worked at one point, in baseball or whatever Shite sport it sprang up from, but every club chews data analytics now, so it doesn't mean you'll get them that cheap anymore, it just means they looked at his total sprints, km covered, left foot touches etc etc. Clucas ran his guts out for Hull in 2017, he'd have shown up well on the stats.

But the whole point of that scouting system is to unearth gems for peanuts. This evidently wasn't one of those
Clucas 6m on 13:13 - Aug 9 with 645 viewsmagicdaps10

Fact is.

We signed Clucas from a relegated club for 14-16m.

We get relegated a year later and sell for 6m.

Tells you how much of a joke our club has become.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Clucas 6m on 13:13 - Aug 9 with 638 viewsAguycalledJack

Yes we have made a substantial loss. There's no Defending the fact that we overpaid for him.

However, if the player wants out, Id rather cut our losses and get rid. We do not need self serving t**ts in the dressing room this season.

If making a loss on Clucas means we get a player/players in that Potter wants, then so be it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024