Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT 22:17 - Aug 13 with 12872 viewsTheResurrection

Dr Winston posted this in another thread...

"""We pissed away gobsmacking amounts of money by moving away from a system that worked. Huw Jenkins presided over that act of stupidity when all he had to do was keep doing what worked. Instead he decided to tear all that up when he promoted his snitch to the managers job and ape what every other club was doing."""

------

You'll get too many agreeing with this most simplistic of explanations.

And it's not fair or particularly accurate.

You say we moved away from a system that worked.

But for how long long in the EPL did we have that system?

* We were promoted in May 2011
* From August 2013 to January 2014 we struggle
* There were well documented upsets in the ranks
* We had a manager and his agent who attempted to manipulate our transfer policy to a model that would see them make on every deal

* THIS WAS A CLEAR STEP AWAY FROM WHAT COULD BE ARGUED WORKED FOR US UNTIL THIS POINT

* Garry Monk, who I know you blame for moving us away from our recruiting system stepped up in February 2014
* Monk steered us to safety
* In 2014/2015 Monk took us to our highest finish by GOING BACK TO THE MODEL THAT GOT US TO THE EPL IN THE FIRST PLACE - NOT THE PLAYING STYLE - BUT THE RECRUITMENT MODEL

Now had Leon, instead of Monk, been able and available to take the reigns at that time we would no doubt have seen a completely different playing style and type of player coming in.

But he wasn't available and Monk came in and in the eyes of the footballing world, the EPL finish we had, and obviously from the Board of Directors perspective, did a good job.

OK, we didn't like the style of play and we can all too easily say that's where it all went wrong, but it's such a weak argument in so many aspects it deserves being called out as rubbish.

* In the EPL we had one season under Rodgers who recruited as we did post Monk ie the transfer committee
+ we then had one and a half seasons with Laudrup who changed it to his way
+ we then had the rest going back with the transfer committee

If we moved away from anything it was to accommodate Laudrup's agent and that only brought success for ONE TRANSFER WINDOW..... ONE!!!

it really is now time for people to start evaluating our recent history and not just jump on bandwagons or choose the sound bites that match their own narratives just to confirm their own bias.

It's time to see things as they really were and now are. The blame game is doing us no favours. This is a great chance to rebuild and start again.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 22:21 - Aug 13 with 7098 viewsDarran

God you’re fuçking boring aye.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 22:25 - Aug 13 with 7053 viewsEasternJack

No credibility left.

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 22:26 - Aug 13 with 7037 viewsSwansea93

How much is Huw paying you?

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 22:27 - Aug 13 with 7013 viewsHugeEnkins

Have you been formatting this all night? Off to bed now butt
WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 22:30 - Aug 13 with 6993 viewslonglostjack

It was Jenkins who signed the commission agreement with Bayram. In the three years that followed Laudrup’s sacking we managed to spunk away far greater sums of money on crocks and pampered mercenaries.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2018 22:31]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 22:31 - Aug 13 with 6987 viewsDrizzy

Yawn. Massive f*cking yawn. When will this end?

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 22:35 - Aug 13 with 6933 viewsTheResurrection

Nobody can argue with the points made so you revert to type, which starts off the way most threads go.

Moved away from what worked FFS??!! We'd only been in the EPL for one season before we did that.

Hopefully some will want to contribute to decent Swans related football chat apart from the usual vvank non contributers that have responded to date.

Try it, it would be a novel idea.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 22:41 - Aug 13 with 6878 viewsAl_Bundy

We are really beating this horse to death !!! However its dressed up this subject tedious at best
Login to get fewer ads

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 22:41 - Aug 13 with 6874 viewsDarran

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 22:42 - Aug 13 with 6850 viewsbyron

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 22:41 - Aug 13 by Darran

Beautiful

Benny

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 22:45 - Aug 13 with 6830 viewsSwanjaxs

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 22:41 - Aug 13 by Darran

Can you do a Byron and loyal one mate?

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 22:47 - Aug 13 with 6816 viewsTheResurrection

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 22:30 - Aug 13 by longlostjack

It was Jenkins who signed the commission agreement with Bayram. In the three years that followed Laudrup’s sacking we managed to spunk away far greater sums of money on crocks and pampered mercenaries.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2018 22:31]

Yes, and it looked as though we could move into this model.

If we'd had the success we did in Laudrup's first season and were able to sustain this no doubt we'd be still doing it.

Truth of the matter is though we didn't. We couldn't find a Michu or a Chico in his second summer window, we couldn't even find a Pablo.

What we did find was a struggling team that had unrest in the playing squad.

And as for the boring posts, this subject is brought up over and over again, as evidenced in the Besic thread, where even discussing a potential new recruit is brought back to the pathetic blame game practised by too many.

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 23:14 - Aug 13 with 6680 viewsDyfnant

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 22:47 - Aug 13 by TheResurrection

Yes, and it looked as though we could move into this model.

If we'd had the success we did in Laudrup's first season and were able to sustain this no doubt we'd be still doing it.

Truth of the matter is though we didn't. We couldn't find a Michu or a Chico in his second summer window, we couldn't even find a Pablo.

What we did find was a struggling team that had unrest in the playing squad.

And as for the boring posts, this subject is brought up over and over again, as evidenced in the Besic thread, where even discussing a potential new recruit is brought back to the pathetic blame game practised by too many.

Laudrup told the club which players he wanted, pierre emerick aubameyang being one. The club signed different ones. Who’s fault does that make the inability to sustain the model/success of his first season

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 23:35 - Aug 13 with 6611 viewsTheResurrection

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 23:14 - Aug 13 by Dyfnant

Laudrup told the club which players he wanted, pierre emerick aubameyang being one. The club signed different ones. Who’s fault does that make the inability to sustain the model/success of his first season

Laudrup could've told the Club any amount of players, it didn't mean they would've wanted to have come to us.

And what sort of scouting was he?? He'd finished second top scorer in the French league on 19 goals, had 8 assists and was voted in the League 1's team of the yea!!!

Any old mug could've recommended him.

But that's a classic example. He'd had an offer to go and play Champions League football in Dortmund, who the season before were the runners up in that tournament and awash with prestige and money. He was never going to come here.

To even mention him in the context of the argument you're trying to put over actually does the opposite.

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 23:43 - Aug 13 with 6594 viewsomarjack

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 23:48 - Aug 13 with 6571 viewsDarran

Nut Boy will be all over this when he gets back from Mars tomorrow,he couldn’t get a direct flight so he’s having a stopover on the Moon.

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 23:55 - Aug 13 with 6555 viewsItchySphincter

I don’t buy in to the whole ‘Laudrup was the bees knees’ thing. Well documented.

Had he stayed we would have been relegated and probably bankrupted in 14-15. He was brilliant for about eight months though, brilliant.

Garry Monk was doomed, and it was ugly. Saved from relegation and highest ever PL finish.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 23:57 - Aug 13 with 6548 viewsKerouac

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 23:35 - Aug 13 by TheResurrection

Laudrup could've told the Club any amount of players, it didn't mean they would've wanted to have come to us.

And what sort of scouting was he?? He'd finished second top scorer in the French league on 19 goals, had 8 assists and was voted in the League 1's team of the yea!!!

Any old mug could've recommended him.

But that's a classic example. He'd had an offer to go and play Champions League football in Dortmund, who the season before were the runners up in that tournament and awash with prestige and money. He was never going to come here.

To even mention him in the context of the argument you're trying to put over actually does the opposite.

He got Aubemeyang over here to sit down and talk with us.
The lad was humble and spoke respectfully after the meeting but indicated he was hoping for a Champions League club...but what if we had put serious money on the table?
That is one "gamble" that would have paid BIG.

Laudrup and his team could spot real talent.

He also wanted to sell Ash at the top of his value and bring in Hector Moreno to replace him for about 25% of Ash's likely transfer fee.
That would have been smart.
We should have backed him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 00:03 - Aug 14 with 6526 viewsDarran

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 23:57 - Aug 13 by Kerouac

He got Aubemeyang over here to sit down and talk with us.
The lad was humble and spoke respectfully after the meeting but indicated he was hoping for a Champions League club...but what if we had put serious money on the table?
That is one "gamble" that would have paid BIG.

Laudrup and his team could spot real talent.

He also wanted to sell Ash at the top of his value and bring in Hector Moreno to replace him for about 25% of Ash's likely transfer fee.
That would have been smart.
We should have backed him.

Yeah of course we should have.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/22699324

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 00:04 - Aug 14 with 6528 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Hey, confused gwas - How can one come back to something if one hasn't deviated away from it ?
[Post edited 14 Aug 2018 0:09]

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 00:04 - Aug 14 with 6526 viewsTheResurrection

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 23:55 - Aug 13 by ItchySphincter

I don’t buy in to the whole ‘Laudrup was the bees knees’ thing. Well documented.

Had he stayed we would have been relegated and probably bankrupted in 14-15. He was brilliant for about eight months though, brilliant.

Garry Monk was doomed, and it was ugly. Saved from relegation and highest ever PL finish.

Precisely but this is too boring to speak about apparently.

Or too close to the truth that the usual suspects want to brush under the carpet.

Dr Winston, who made the comment, although he's not the only one, doesn't want to analyse facts and information, it's much easier for them to pluck platitudes from thin air and exacerbate them.

It's poor form.

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 00:18 - Aug 14 with 6477 viewsKerouac

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 00:03 - Aug 14 by Darran

Yeah of course we should have.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/22699324

Everything he states in that article is true.

Why are you laughing?
Do you think he is actually proposing that we should spend £200m we don't have?
He doesn't ever say that, he is merely pointing out that those are the figures being spent by the clubs above us and therefore improving on his 1st season (top 10 and a Cup) is nigh on impossible.
Clearly that is true.

The most interesting quote from that article is the words attributed to Tutumlu;

However, he added that the extension was signed after the club's board had given assurances about team strengthening.

Our board sold Laudrup down the river and then tried to force Garry Monk on him in the January window that we signed fecking Emnes and Ngog.
I tend to agree with Laudrup's assessment of the backroom shenanigans; "Silly!"

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 00:25 - Aug 14 with 6460 viewsKerouac

E20, school's in sucker!

You will observe that a subject that has been discussed to death, a subject we are all board of, has been raised and I have made a contribution to the debate.

You will now note that having made my points clearly, concisely and coherently, that I am going to walk away...

...somebody else can have the last word, I can live with that

Class dismissed.

[Post edited 14 Aug 2018 0:28]

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 00:33 - Aug 14 with 6426 viewsKrisP

People take issue with the fact that managers had little say on players coming in from Monk onwards. Martinez, Rodgers, Laudrup identified players they wanted. This is what worked for us, for years before the Premier league as well as our first years in it. Moving from this system to Jenkins playing Director of Football is the systemic change people speak of. Do you honestly think Bony was Clement's choice? Or that Andre Ayew was the man Carvahal wanted?

Now Potter is seemingly being allowed to highlight the players he wants to build the team he wants. This is what worked for us.
WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 00:47 - Aug 14 with 6405 viewsswan65split

WE DIDN'T MOVE AWAY FROM WHAT WORKED FOR US, WE WENT BACK TO IT on 23:48 - Aug 13 by Darran

Nut Boy will be all over this when he gets back from Mars tomorrow,he couldn’t get a direct flight so he’s having a stopover on the Moon.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024