Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Depression 20:41 - Sep 24 with 1613 viewsomarjack

Around 1 out 4 of the world's population will experience depression at one point of their lives.

Every year, around 1 out of 300 people attempt suicide.

It's a sad world world we live in. All we can do is to give support to people in need.

The biggest problem is that it's not always easy to notice when people have suicidal tendencies.

Make sure your loved ones are truly feeling loved. If I did so, one of my best friends wouldn't have tried to take their own lives few years back. My friend was lucky and he survived. And I believe that he's doing ok now.

Be aware, notice small details, this is very important. You could save a life.

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Depression on 20:52 - Sep 24 with 1593 viewsdickythorpe

We're living in fascinating maybe bonkers times. Our forefathers could never have predicted how populated the world would get.
With that comes opportunity for many but also despair and missed opportunities for others.
Only so many of us can fit into perfect and comfortable lifestyles. The rest of us either make do or wither.
As always excess looks great to many and poverty looks miserable.
But there's the rub, many rich are unhappy,many poor are happy.

What is depression? What is success? What is rich? What is poor?
Who dares define these words?
Depression on 20:53 - Sep 24 with 1592 viewsomarjack

Depression on 20:52 - Sep 24 by dickythorpe

We're living in fascinating maybe bonkers times. Our forefathers could never have predicted how populated the world would get.
With that comes opportunity for many but also despair and missed opportunities for others.
Only so many of us can fit into perfect and comfortable lifestyles. The rest of us either make do or wither.

Well f*ck but that's deep and fair.

Depression on 21:05 - Sep 24 with 1575 viewsdickythorpe

Our brains are underrated. Begin to understand them and maybe we'll find help. I don't think we ever will fully understand them.
We are contrary.
One minute we are influenced and motivated, the next disinterested and lethargic.

How the hell can we be consistent?
Depression on 22:12 - Sep 24 with 1520 viewsNogginthenog

I suffered a bout of depression once and I hope I never have to go through it again. Strangely enough it co incided with a time in my life that should have been a happy time.I had been promoted at work and been given a new role that I was looking forward to. A few weeks after I started the job I found myself being unable to function.

Some days at work I would be alone in the office and I found myself actually having to lie down on the floor for hours. Eventually I became bed ridden unable to go outside or do anything at all. The doctor gave me some happy pills which had no effect. Luckily my wife was brilliant, showed me loads of love and kindness. I also had the invaluable support of my late sister who was fantastic.
Gradually it started to lift after about 8 weeks and I gradually returned to normal.

It was a very strange episode in my life and luckily I haven't suffered since despite some traumas, losing my mum, dad, and sister all in 12 months. I was fortunate to have support from family and my employers, some I fear are not so lucky.
Depression on 10:10 - Sep 25 with 1426 viewsCatullus

Depression on 20:52 - Sep 24 by dickythorpe

I reckon that's because the poor learn to appreciate what they have, even the smallest things while the rich have everything they every thought they wanted.

I/we/us, my family has enough. We don't live in a big house or have a flashy car, we don't holiday every year.
To my wife and myself simple things like taking the dog for a walk in the park, watching the wildlife, spending time with our son, it's enough.
When I first suffered depression I was still chasing money, it returned when my physical health went downhill but not as bad.
Don't be greedy, arrogant, vain or self serving, it's a sure path to depression. Learn to appreciate the small things and I'm sure you'll be happier. Of course there are many other reasons for depression, some people will always be prone to it.
Take our son, he was seemingly unhappy, prone to massive outbursts of temper for a while, I was called into school a few times and teachers said he seemd depressed. He was angry when we restricted his time on the PS4, PC and his phone, made him go outside to play more, but a few months later and he's much happier, has fewer, less volatile outbursts. It seems like modern life is not so great for our mental health.
The things we call progress may actually be taking us backwards, making people ill, unhappy and angry.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Depression on 13:36 - Sep 25 with 1365 viewsMrSwerve

I believe that social media has a big part to play in the increasing numbers of people growing up with depression and having depression in their adult life.
Also, the increasing ability to be able to lock yourself in a room or in the house, and not leave to do anything. You can work from home, shop from home, bank from home, etc etc. Very convenient if you have a balanced outgoing life but I think that it could be a negative thing to some people.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Depression on 14:11 - Sep 25 with 1356 viewstrinityann

Austerity since the 2008 crash has not helped much either. I can't remember a time where the cost of living eats so much of my pay and literally it's become a hobby now to see what I can cut back on.

On a personal level doing shift work for last 20 years is having a negative impact. I have to motivate myself to go to work and paying mortgage off is the only thing keeping me going to work. I just feel like sticking my two flicks up to the system and never doing another days work.
Depression on 19:08 - Sep 25 with 1292 viewsdickythorpe

Well worth a read.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/mens-anxiety-how-combat-middle-1330081
Login to get fewer ads

Depression on 19:22 - Sep 25 with 1285 viewsLeonWasGod

That's nuts. Modern life isn't working. Maybe that's the problem - if we were working like we used to have to, if just surviving was more of a challenge, then maybe it wouldn't be such an issue. Although I suspect that's bollox, but something structurally is very wrong to lead to those stats.
Depression on 19:43 - Sep 25 with 1272 viewsphact0rri

I am diagnosed clinically depressed (by way of bipolorism). I get depressed not from outward stimuli but certain chemical cocktails that occur in my brain. Basically means I can get depressed at anytime, for no reason at all. I can also get aggitated, or happy for no reason at all... stupid brain!

My point I suppose is that human conditions and depression is rarely as cut and dry as, people aren't loved enough. And in my experience family and friends who take to much of it on themselves end of burning themselves out and unitentinally push those they love away-- not unlike holding your hand to close to fire. I've had many a loving relationships shatter because people felt like they could fix me if they gave me enough love. Like my family just didn't try hard enough.

So yes, if those you love are suffering from depression make sure they know you love them. But don't blame yourself or try to 'fix' them. Just be supportive, and don't get so stuck in that you forget its not your life.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Depression on 20:25 - Sep 25 with 1252 viewsCatullus

Depression on 13:36 - Sep 25 by MrSwerve

I believe that social media has a big part to play in the increasing numbers of people growing up with depression and having depression in their adult life.
Also, the increasing ability to be able to lock yourself in a room or in the house, and not leave to do anything. You can work from home, shop from home, bank from home, etc etc. Very convenient if you have a balanced outgoing life but I think that it could be a negative thing to some people.

I reckon you're right. Personally I have been better since I deleted facebook and tried to get out more, see more of my friends. Like I said earlier, my son developed some problems but they decreased as we made him get off the internet and play outdoors.
Kids must suffer because, when they have hard times they can't escape them. Even when they know bad things will be there, they can't help looking at their phones or computers to see what the bullies are saying, or their phone bleeps and it's more abuse. When I was young you could at least escape the bully by going home.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Depression on 20:30 - Sep 25 with 1251 viewsdickythorpe

I had a day off today and drove around gower. I had radio Wales on and of all people Jason mohammed on his show was tackling this subject in a very sensitive and careful way.
A caller who found out from his doctor that he was clinically depressed said he couldn't believe it as he was the happiest joker around and with wealth, friends, family and success.
But what he did say was that he was glad he'd had it to battle as now he was far more thoughtful and interested in people.
It made him a better person.
This is a seriously varied and Broad subject and to cut a long story short, keep talking and don't feel you are on your own or unique regardless of wealth, poverty, success, failure.

By the way on a day like today and I was lucky I was off a visit around gower is such a tonic. Worm's head, Pennard, Reynoldston were fantastic.
Depression on 20:37 - Sep 25 with 1244 viewspeenemunde

Stop eating refined carbohydrates and cut back on sugar.
Depression on 20:43 - Sep 25 with 1239 viewsCatullus

Depression on 20:37 - Sep 25 by peenemunde

Stop eating refined carbohydrates and cut back on sugar.

Now I agree with Peenemunde again. I developed a liver problem (Non Alcoholic Steatohepatitis) and was told to change my diet, I cut out a load of carbs and sugar and I've felt better for it physically and mentally, I lost 20lbs too!
I eat a lot more fruit, veg and salad, less meat and hardly any biscuits or cakes. It helps if you take a holistic approach. Few of us realise how addicted we are to sugar and how it affects our brains.

Depression on 20:49 - Sep 25 with 1230 viewspeenemunde

Depression on 20:43 - Sep 25 by Catullus

Now I agree with Peenemunde again. I developed a liver problem (Non Alcoholic Steatohepatitis) and was told to change my diet, I cut out a load of carbs and sugar and I've felt better for it physically and mentally, I lost 20lbs too!
I eat a lot more fruit, veg and salad, less meat and hardly any biscuits or cakes. It helps if you take a holistic approach. Few of us realise how addicted we are to sugar and how it affects our brains.

The truth is out there........

Some of us are just “ ahead of the curve”, and some aren’t.
Depression on 20:51 - Sep 25 with 1227 viewspeenemunde

Depression on 19:08 - Sep 25 by dickythorpe

Well worth a read.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/mens-anxiety-how-combat-middle-1330081

A load of bullshite.
Depression on 21:18 - Sep 25 with 1207 viewsCatullus

Depression on 20:51 - Sep 25 by peenemunde

A load of bullshite.

And now I disagree, there are many causes and we need to look at all the possibilities. A closed mind won't learn much.

Depression on 03:31 - Sep 26 with 1156 viewsMo_Wives

There's a lot more information and help for mental health issues these days, thank God. I remember my mother trying to diagnose my father back in the day. She looked into borderline personality disorder but that didn't quite fit...same with psychopathy, sociopathy and various other conditions all to no avail. In the end she had to accept he was just a f*cking asshole. True story.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Depression on 09:58 - Sep 26 with 1094 viewsomarjack

Depression on 03:31 - Sep 26 by Mo_Wives

There's a lot more information and help for mental health issues these days, thank God. I remember my mother trying to diagnose my father back in the day. She looked into borderline personality disorder but that didn't quite fit...same with psychopathy, sociopathy and various other conditions all to no avail. In the end she had to accept he was just a f*cking asshole. True story.

Being an asshole is a disorder Mo.

Unfortunately, the absolute majority of people have it.

Depression on 10:17 - Sep 26 with 1087 viewsMo_Wives

Depression on 09:58 - Sep 26 by omarjack

Being an asshole is a disorder Mo.

Unfortunately, the absolute majority of people have it.

Very true, my friend. I'm a long term sufferer myself...it's hardest on those around you, tbh.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Depression on 10:42 - Sep 26 with 1076 viewsCatullus

Depression on 10:17 - Sep 26 by Mo_Wives

Very true, my friend. I'm a long term sufferer myself...it's hardest on those around you, tbh.

I suffer from manic ass holism, I'm not an asshole all the time, only when I'm around other people or on the internet. When I'm at home, just myself and the dog, I'm fine.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024