Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
European Super League 19:02 - Nov 2 with 11294 viewslonglostjack

Within 3 years. To be made up of 16 teams. Breaking news.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

European Super League on 12:58 - Nov 4 with 1147 viewsjackrmee

European Super League on 10:54 - Nov 3 by jack247

Every Premier League teams income is massively inflated by TV revenue. Obviously that makes more difference to the likes of Burnley than Man City. Using an artificially extreme example, if you take it away, the bigger clubs that have wealthy owners or generate more of their own income will have more of an advantage than they do now. Newcastle, West Ham, Leeds and Forest all fall into that category compared to us.

We are competing now, with the benefit of parachute payments and an academy/U23 setup that was quite heavily invested into while we had the PL revenue. For all the bad press Jenkins and co rightly get for the last couple of seasons, they deserve massive credit for that. I didn’t actually realise how much credit until this season.

We're not spending any of the parachute money though and our academy, whether paid for using PL money or not, is already there, so that gives us an advantage over most clubs.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

European Super League on 13:54 - Nov 4 with 1121 viewsjack247

European Super League on 12:58 - Nov 4 by jackrmee

We're not spending any of the parachute money though and our academy, whether paid for using PL money or not, is already there, so that gives us an advantage over most clubs.

Of course we’re spending the parachute money. Bony is on about £100k per week.

Yes, the academy gives us an advantage, I’ve already made that point a couple of times. Crowds of 18,000 and a smaller worldwide fan base put as at a disadvantage to all the clubs previously mentioned.

All this is based on the assumption the top clubs leave their domestic leagues. If this super league just replaces the champions league, then it’s much less of an issue for clubs like us, though as a neutral I’d like that competition to remain knockout from the second phase.
European Super League on 14:22 - Nov 4 with 1112 viewsCatullus

European Super League on 13:54 - Nov 4 by jack247

Yes, the academy gives us an advantage, I’ve already made that point a couple of times. Crowds of 18,000 and a smaller worldwide fan base put as at a disadvantage to all the clubs previously mentioned.

All this is based on the assumption the top clubs leave their domestic leagues. If this super league just replaces the champions league, then it’s much less of an issue for clubs like us, though as a neutral I’d like that competition to remain knockout from the second phase.

It can't just replace the Champions league though. You can't have a 16 team ESL running alongside the current national leagues. Where do they fit in all the extra games. The finalists currently face 13 games but it rises with this idea. Every club will have 16 games and that's if they don't have some kind of play off structure fior the top teams, like the MLS. Where do the 5 English teams fit in the extra games? They be withdrawing from from the Caraboa and/or the FA cup. Or demanding to be let in at a later stage again.

On the face of it there are a huge number of logistical problems, maybe too many to overcome but where there's profit involved the money men will usually find a way.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

European Super League on 14:55 - Nov 4 with 1097 viewswestwalesed

European Super League on 14:22 - Nov 4 by Catullus

It can't just replace the Champions league though. You can't have a 16 team ESL running alongside the current national leagues. Where do they fit in all the extra games. The finalists currently face 13 games but it rises with this idea. Every club will have 16 games and that's if they don't have some kind of play off structure fior the top teams, like the MLS. Where do the 5 English teams fit in the extra games? They be withdrawing from from the Caraboa and/or the FA cup. Or demanding to be let in at a later stage again.

On the face of it there are a huge number of logistical problems, maybe too many to overcome but where there's profit involved the money men will usually find a way.

I was listening to a detailed discussion of this on the radio on Friday night and the commentators were categoric that their understanding was that teams would still compete in their respective domestic leagues, and the "Super League" would replace the Champions League.

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

European Super League on 20:00 - Nov 4 with 1053 viewsphact0rri

European Super League on 14:55 - Nov 4 by westwalesed

I was listening to a detailed discussion of this on the radio on Friday night and the commentators were categoric that their understanding was that teams would still compete in their respective domestic leagues, and the "Super League" would replace the Champions League.

Not sure how it'd be different than the champions league already, aside from the fact if Bayern and Real have bad seasons they still compete in this super league. And then you still have the Europa league, do the best placed clubs not in the Super League go there? or is it going to be replaced as a second tier with no chance of being promoted into the top flight like the USA structure?

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

European Super League on 23:58 - Nov 4 with 1029 viewsjackrmee

European Super League on 13:54 - Nov 4 by jack247

I mean we are not spending it on strengthening, so it's irrelevant.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

European Super League on 21:58 - Nov 6 with 942 viewsjackrmee

This is what the world will lose if the ESL kicks in.
Anyone see the Liverpool game? Looked like an amazing atmosphere. 50000 serbian fans make for a hostile environment. Proper euro tie.

European Super League on 00:39 - Nov 7 with 918 viewsmajorraglan

European Super League on 14:22 - Nov 4 by Catullus

I think you are right in that they would either leave the FA and Caraboa Vups or come in at the end as the money from the Super League will dwarf any prize money from the domestic competitions and they won’t need to qualify for Europe as they will have a place guaranteed. In terms of games played, no doubt they would seek to increase the size of their squads and hoover up even more of the talent thereby making it very difficult for teams to challenge them. UEFA have come out against this, so it’s going to be interesting to see how it plays out and could become a power struggle between the bodies. If FIFA and UEFA stick together I doubt the idea will get off the ground especially if they want to remain in their own associations tournaments. Pure greed.
Login to get fewer ads

European Super League on 09:27 - Nov 7 with 857 viewsCatullus

European Super League on 00:39 - Nov 7 by majorraglan

I think you are right in that they would either leave the FA and Caraboa Vups or come in at the end as the money from the Super League will dwarf any prize money from the domestic competitions and they won’t need to qualify for Europe as they will have a place guaranteed. In terms of games played, no doubt they would seek to increase the size of their squads and hoover up even more of the talent thereby making it very difficult for teams to challenge them. UEFA have come out against this, so it’s going to be interesting to see how it plays out and could become a power struggle between the bodies. If FIFA and UEFA stick together I doubt the idea will get off the ground especially if they want to remain in their own associations tournaments. Pure greed.

I think the FA's of every country affected should get together and tell them to stop the madness or be evicted from their respective competitions.

You can't have a closed shop competition or it's not a competition and the fans will get bored just as they have become increasingly bored with the EPL. Plenty of empty seats at some big grounds these days. Maybe it works elsewhere but in Europe we are used to football having promotion and relegation. Also, just maybe the fans are having enough of the greed in this.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

European Super League on 09:36 - Nov 7 with 846 viewsjackrmee

Think they are proposing leaving the domestic competitions.

European Super League on 09:48 - Nov 7 with 840 viewsjack247

They would have to in order to get that many games in. I really can’t see UEFA/FIFA allowing the Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, Ligue 1 and Serie A to be destroyed for one super league, it’s way too much of a gamble.

Even if they stayed in the domestic leagues, the battle for top 4 would become irrelevant and more often than not the tension at the top of the table would be over by April.
European Super League on 10:12 - Nov 7 with 833 viewsjackrmee

European Super League on 09:48 - Nov 7 by jack247

They would have to in order to get that many games in. I really can’t see UEFA/FIFA allowing the Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, Ligue 1 and Serie A to be destroyed for one super league, it’s way too much of a gamble.

Even if they stayed in the domestic leagues, the battle for top 4 would become irrelevant and more often than not the tension at the top of the table would be over by April.

Don't think they've got a choice. From what I've read they are leaving to make an independent league. Shareholders will be the invited 11 and they would be privileged to stay in the league and be free from relegation for 20 years.

European Super League on 19:34 - Nov 7 with 789 viewsplasjack

European Super League on 10:12 - Nov 7 by jackrmee

Don't think they've got a choice. From what I've read they are leaving to make an independent league. Shareholders will be the invited 11 and they would be privileged to stay in the league and be free from relegation for 20 years.

FIFA have said that any player involved will not be able to play international football for their countries.
European Super League on 20:20 - Nov 7 with 760 viewsDr_Winston

European Super League on 19:34 - Nov 7 by plasjack

FIFA have said that any player involved will not be able to play international football for their countries.

Perfectly illustrates how little power FIFA/UEFA have. Only what the clubs allow them.

Seriously, is a top player earning tens of thousands a week at a top club really going to give two shits about International football if forced to choose between the two?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

European Super League on 20:24 - Nov 7 with 753 viewsplasjack

European Super League on 20:20 - Nov 7 by Dr_Winston

Perfectly illustrates how little power FIFA/UEFA have. Only what the clubs allow them.

Seriously, is a top player earning tens of thousands a week at a top club really going to give two shits about International football if forced to choose between the two?

Forgot to add world cup games as well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024