Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
European Super League 19:02 - Nov 2 with 11313 viewslonglostjack

Within 3 years. To be made up of 16 teams. Breaking news.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

European Super League on 20:15 - Nov 2 with 1523 viewscrix

European Super League on 20:13 - Nov 2 by Jackfath

Wouldn't there be other "big" teams in the top league then? Perhaps we may even (!?!?!) be able to compete at the top table?

the premier league will no longer be the top table, that table will of been shipped off to a place where we will never be able to sit.
European Super League on 20:15 - Nov 2 with 1517 viewsJackfath

European Super League on 20:14 - Nov 2 by pencoedjack

Why would people who are not interested in a subject bother to comment on it

Have I offended you, again?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

European Super League on 20:20 - Nov 2 with 1489 viewsJackfath

European Super League on 20:15 - Nov 2 by crix

the premier league will no longer be the top table, that table will of been shipped off to a place where we will never be able to sit.

But there would still be a top English league?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

European Super League on 20:21 - Nov 2 with 1484 viewscrix

European Super League on 20:20 - Nov 2 by Jackfath

But there would still be a top English league?

ofc there will be, but im sure you understand my point.
European Super League on 20:25 - Nov 2 with 1462 viewslonglostjack

European Super League on 20:02 - Nov 2 by Jackfath

Why would fans of Swansea City be bothered about this?

Dylan Thomas had a point 🤔

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

European Super League on 20:55 - Nov 2 with 1406 viewsjack247

European Super League on 20:13 - Nov 2 by Wingstandwood

And to add to that I reckon SKY money that feeds the PL and gives it all that glitz, glamour and sparkle could end up being either vastly lesser or maybe not at all? Money diverted to European Super League instead?

It’s not just the Sky money, it’s the global TV revenue. The average fan in America or Asia isn’t going to be much more interested in a Premier League without the glory teams than they are the Championship now.

It would end the days of clubs like us going up and having the 30th or 40th highest global turnover or whatever it was. Lower end PL clubs won’t be able to outbid bigger foreign teams and the PL will obviously become a much less attractive destination for players. Interesting times ahead if this gets off the ground.
European Super League on 21:01 - Nov 2 with 1392 viewsmajorraglan

There would be ructions if this came about, lots of issues with other teams in the respective leagues. Part of the attraction of football in the PL is the fact it’s competetive and teams can beat each other, compare that to Spain where invariably it’s a 2 horse race and the others are also rans.

Call me old fashioned, but I believe a teams place at the top table should be earned and not some kind of divine right.
European Super League on 21:08 - Nov 2 with 1383 viewsWingstandwood

European Super League on 20:55 - Nov 2 by jack247

It’s not just the Sky money, it’s the global TV revenue. The average fan in America or Asia isn’t going to be much more interested in a Premier League without the glory teams than they are the Championship now.

It would end the days of clubs like us going up and having the 30th or 40th highest global turnover or whatever it was. Lower end PL clubs won’t be able to outbid bigger foreign teams and the PL will obviously become a much less attractive destination for players. Interesting times ahead if this gets off the ground.

Very good and sensible take on things, interesting topic this, intriguing times ahead... My mind can go into absolute overtime just pondering all the what-if's and unanswered possibilities/outcomes. If and when a new European division actually happens?

You're right about PL worldwide appeal/status minus the likes of Man Unt, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal i.e The Premier League would turn into nothing more than a mere upmarket version of the Championship Division.

Argus!

Login to get fewer ads

European Super League on 21:09 - Nov 2 with 1380 viewsjackrmee

European Super League on 20:55 - Nov 2 by jack247

Still can't see it happening tbh.
Saying that though, if it does, we will defo have a chance of winning it in a few years. It's not all about money. Who gives a fuk about how much revenue you're getting if you can be competitive at the top level in the English (ffs) top league. Still prestigious.
Would be a bit sh;t though being at the top and not being able to look forward to welcoming some of the greatest teams to the Liberty and seeing the biggest and best players in the world playing on our pitch. Awesome feeling that. You have to pinch yourself. Be a shame that.
However, we could be playing european football and all sorts, so fuk the Euro Super League!

edit: *winning the English League, not the ESL
[Post edited 2 Nov 2018 21:11]

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

European Super League on 21:16 - Nov 2 with 1365 viewsjack247

European Super League on 21:09 - Nov 2 by jackrmee

Still can't see it happening tbh.
Saying that though, if it does, we will defo have a chance of winning it in a few years. It's not all about money. Who gives a fuk about how much revenue you're getting if you can be competitive at the top level in the English (ffs) top league. Still prestigious.
Would be a bit sh;t though being at the top and not being able to look forward to welcoming some of the greatest teams to the Liberty and seeing the biggest and best players in the world playing on our pitch. Awesome feeling that. You have to pinch yourself. Be a shame that.
However, we could be playing european football and all sorts, so fuk the Euro Super League!

edit: *winning the English League, not the ESL
[Post edited 2 Nov 2018 21:11]

Fan base will come into it much more with greatly reduced tv revenue. It would be very difficult for us to compete with the likes of Newcastle and West Ham for example as their match day etc sales will dwarf ours. That isn’t so relevant at the moment where all PL clubs have £100m or so TV money and can outbid the vast majority of foreign teams, bar the elite.
European Super League on 21:16 - Nov 2 with 1364 viewsbuilthjack

It won't happen

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

European Super League on 21:21 - Nov 2 with 1357 viewsjack247

European Super League on 21:01 - Nov 2 by majorraglan

There would be ructions if this came about, lots of issues with other teams in the respective leagues. Part of the attraction of football in the PL is the fact it’s competetive and teams can beat each other, compare that to Spain where invariably it’s a 2 horse race and the others are also rans.

Call me old fashioned, but I believe a teams place at the top table should be earned and not some kind of divine right.

I can also see this getting boring and eventually turning people off if it’s an American style no promotion/relegation affair. The Champions League feels a bit protracted at times, but at least the second half of it is an exciting knockout tournament.

A Super League with no relegation will invariably lead to Arsenal etc having no chance of winning it, no chance of being relegated and so having no real incentive to improve their squad. Teams would surely stagnate in that format.
European Super League on 21:26 - Nov 2 with 1343 viewsmajorraglan

European Super League on 21:16 - Nov 2 by builthjack

It won't happen

A lot of this will depend on the relationship between UEFA, FIFA and the players representatives. If this goes ahead without the backing of the the governing bodies, then it will be very difficult for players to move to and away from these clubs as transfers are registered etc. If there is no recognition of the league and transfers etc, once a player is deemed surplus to requirements for example a loss of form, getting old, it’s not good enough etc they could find it difficult to step back in to some kind of Uefa or Fifa structure. The superstars like a Ronaldo would be ok, but the youngsters may struggle.

Don’t you just despise some of these teams!
European Super League on 21:34 - Nov 2 with 1332 viewsjackrmee

European Super League on 21:16 - Nov 2 by jack247

Fan base will come into it much more with greatly reduced tv revenue. It would be very difficult for us to compete with the likes of Newcastle and West Ham for example as their match day etc sales will dwarf ours. That isn’t so relevant at the moment where all PL clubs have £100m or so TV money and can outbid the vast majority of foreign teams, bar the elite.

Again though, it's not all about the money. Look what GP is doing already with this "thin" squad. And what he did with Ostersunds. Imagine what he could do for us with more time and experienced players.
English League will still be attractive to foreigners, it always has. It's more competitive than other leagues even with the top 6.
We have a great manager, great academy, great facilities, decent fan base, lush beaches. Why wouldn't anyone want to sign for us over the rest? Especially if the rest can't afford to offer super wages any longer.

Also, if you do fancy a bit of cash to flash about, we can get it from flogging our academy superstars to the ESL for silly money init.

Also also, the Trust would have bought out the Yanks, as they wouldn't be interested any more and we would be running the club!!!

One step too far?
They may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one...
Am I?

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

European Super League on 21:36 - Nov 2 with 1330 viewsjackrmee

European Super League on 21:26 - Nov 2 by majorraglan

A lot of this will depend on the relationship between UEFA, FIFA and the players representatives. If this goes ahead without the backing of the the governing bodies, then it will be very difficult for players to move to and away from these clubs as transfers are registered etc. If there is no recognition of the league and transfers etc, once a player is deemed surplus to requirements for example a loss of form, getting old, it’s not good enough etc they could find it difficult to step back in to some kind of Uefa or Fifa structure. The superstars like a Ronaldo would be ok, but the youngsters may struggle.

Don’t you just despise some of these teams!

It's bound to be a FIFA league shirley?

European Super League on 22:03 - Nov 2 with 1305 viewsmajorraglan

European Super League on 21:36 - Nov 2 by jackrmee

It's bound to be a FIFA league shirley?

You may well be right, I would have thought it would fall under FIFA but UEFA is the richest and most powerful of the Confederations. With the European Championships and then the number Euro Nations leagues reducing the number of friendlies it could have huge ramifications between the different associations, especially if England has just about a third of the teams.
European Super League on 22:10 - Nov 2 with 1302 viewspikeypaul

The English teams in it may have reserve teams in the Premiership.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

European Super League on 05:25 - Nov 3 with 1204 viewsphact0rri

kind of feels it could be a great thing for some of the leagues. La Ligua, League Un, bundesliga, etc will be more competitve if the those big clubs scram to their privileged league.

But then what point will the champion's league have? And what about the FAs will they no longer manage the top teams in their respective countries? Will the top teams have more power deny playing international football like has been the case in rugby?

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

European Super League on 05:36 - Nov 3 with 1202 viewsjack247

European Super League on 21:34 - Nov 2 by jackrmee

Again though, it's not all about the money. Look what GP is doing already with this "thin" squad. And what he did with Ostersunds. Imagine what he could do for us with more time and experienced players.
English League will still be attractive to foreigners, it always has. It's more competitive than other leagues even with the top 6.
We have a great manager, great academy, great facilities, decent fan base, lush beaches. Why wouldn't anyone want to sign for us over the rest? Especially if the rest can't afford to offer super wages any longer.

Also, if you do fancy a bit of cash to flash about, we can get it from flogging our academy superstars to the ESL for silly money init.

Also also, the Trust would have bought out the Yanks, as they wouldn't be interested any more and we would be running the club!!!

One step too far?
They may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one...
Am I?

Our league became attractive to foreign players when the Sky money started and then more so when the PL brand exploded globally. It hasn’t always been like this.

There is merit to what you are saying in that we will only be competing with our peers, but again, teams like Newcastle will have a far bigger advantage than they did when we were in the PL, simply due to the size of their fan base. Same goes for teams in our league like Leeds and Forest.

The academy, if we can sustain it at its current level with less TV income, would probably be our biggest weapon, even bigger than it is now.
European Super League on 06:56 - Nov 3 with 1187 viewsairedale

European Super League on 22:10 - Nov 2 by pikeypaul

Kin ell, never thought about that!
European Super League on 06:56 - Nov 3 with 1186 viewsairedale

European Super League on 20:25 - Nov 2 by longlostjack

Dylan Thomas had a point 🤔

He had a few pints too.
European Super League on 07:19 - Nov 3 with 1177 viewsyescomeon

European Super League on 22:10 - Nov 2 by pikeypaul

That shouldn't be allowed, that's for sure. I'd have no problem with them being in the league structure like they are in Spain and Germany, but they should be allowed no higher than the second tier.

Upthecity!

European Super League on 07:24 - Nov 3 with 1174 viewsjackrmee

European Super League on 05:36 - Nov 3 by jack247

Our league became attractive to foreign players when the Sky money started and then more so when the PL brand exploded globally. It hasn’t always been like this.

There is merit to what you are saying in that we will only be competing with our peers, but again, teams like Newcastle will have a far bigger advantage than they did when we were in the PL, simply due to the size of their fan base. Same goes for teams in our league like Leeds and Forest.

The academy, if we can sustain it at its current level with less TV income, would probably be our biggest weapon, even bigger than it is now.

The fanbase theory doesn't really hold up imo. We are keeping up with Leeds and Forest now, at arguably our skintest time and with a thin squad.
Yes they will have more money than us, but the gap will be nowhere near the gulf that's in the prem now.
The new ESL will bring us closer to clubs like Newcastle, not further away, Shirley?

edit: and I guess you're right about the foreign players, but if the influx reduces, that will give us benefit also, as we have never been a team full of foreigners anyway. I think it was maybe Roberto who started bringing them in in droves. Our academy would be key, along with our scouts. We will still find the odd gem like Walter Boyd or Pawel Abbot.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2018 7:34]

European Super League on 08:17 - Nov 3 with 1145 viewsthornabyswan

European Super League on 07:19 - Nov 3 by yescomeon

That shouldn't be allowed, that's for sure. I'd have no problem with them being in the league structure like they are in Spain and Germany, but they should be allowed no higher than the second tier.

Arsenal and Bayern have denied any involvement.
Liverpool and Man Utd have refused to comment.

Also allegations that Man City and PSG were given leniancy on FFP.

The competition would be dull as dishwater though with no relegation and fans would soon get sick of it.
You only have to look at the Champions League and Europa league group stages it's tedious can't remember the last time I watched a game.

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

European Super League on 08:30 - Nov 3 with 1124 viewsMrSwerve

European Super League on 19:51 - Nov 2 by exiledclaseboy

Won’t happen. Not in that timescale and in that form anyway.

Indeed, can’t see it happening, certainly not within the next ten years anyway.

It would be such a shake up of European football. There’ll be huge amounts of opposition from fans.

We need the big clubs in our league system. Playing Man Utd, City, Liverpool etc is all part of being in the premier league. If we had Everton at the top of the PL there wouldn’t be as much excitement in my opinion. Yes it could potentially make it more competitive, but you’d still have a select 4 or 5 at the top of the league - just less ‘glamorous’.

Also how would things like the FA cup work? Giant killings are probably the most important and exciting aspect of our cup competitions.

Just can’t see it happening, for a very long time at least.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024