Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Planet Swans members interview thread 20:10 - Jan 8 with 1228 viewsdickythorpe

Without being nasty or abusive, can we have a thread where we ask questions to one another?
I suppose this thread is meant to be cathartic and possibly informative as well as possibly fun (although I do understand that what one finds funny another may not)

Anyway be respectful.

My first question is to anyone really, and is

"do you feel that the simpler things in life make you feel happier rather than the big job, big salary, big car?"
Planet Swans members interview thread on 20:49 - Jan 8 with 1168 viewspikeypaul

Yes.

No job.
No Salary.
Wife has a small car and no need now to have a car now.

Never been happier.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2019 20:52]

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Planet Swans members interview thread on 23:13 - Jan 8 with 1085 viewsAl_Bundy

I think less pressure on us oldies 50+ if you have had a stable work career and a house with a smallish mortgage.

Health is the key - you have that you have most of what you need.

Lucky enough I have that and a nice car !
Planet Swans members interview thread on 00:01 - Jan 9 with 1068 viewslifelong

When you get into your 70’s you start to think where the hell has that gone, you don’t think about it in your 30’s and 40’s..enjoy it when you can.
Planet Swans members interview thread on 01:28 - Jan 9 with 1031 viewsPacemaker

It’s easy to say that the simpler things in life make you happier when you are older, wiser and richer!

I am in my late fifties, no mortgage, big house with only the wife and I living there now the kids have left, earn a decent wage with a good pension back up, I could buy a big fancy car if I wanted to or designer clothes but as a result of putting my family first as a younger person find it very difficult to “waste” money on luxuries. I know how hard my parents worked from a very underprivileged background to give my brothers and I the best start in life they could.

I have had a few health issues and I really value life now and my family are more important than anything. My parents are coming to the end of their lives and both have had had poor health for some time so therefore having those precious moments are of far more value to me than a fancy car or watch. My daughter and grandson are in New Zealand and spending the last three weeks with them has been priceless.

As lifelong has said life does flyby and before you know it you are in the position that you have lived longer than you are going to live. Keep on loving those closest to you guys, leave nothing but happiness and smiles behind.

Enjoy it chaps it’s a one off experience.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Planet Swans members interview thread on 09:08 - Jan 9 with 936 viewsBloodyhills

I think once you have the basics sorted, shelter, secure way of making a living etc then yes, I'd say the simpler things in life are better such as walk in nature, valuing friends and family.

However seeing the Swans promoted to the top level twice were pretty euphoric moments in my life. :-)

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Planet Swans members interview thread on 09:27 - Jan 9 with 924 viewsProfessor

So I have a relatively 'big' job and good salary, but even 50+ with 2 school aged kids and a family substantial mortgage (8 years left!) I am not particularly wealthy, so have a VW Up!. Ultimately it is not about salary, but a lot of research is as much about the kudos associated. and yes, even a degree of hubris around this. I enjoy simple things most and achievements around my children (daughter passing her GCSEs) and students completing their PhD studies are more important than my own. That said nothing still beats the euphoria of completing a great piece of science and nothing is as frustrating as the hoops to jump through to get it published or to get research funding in the first place.
Planet Swans members interview thread on 09:43 - Jan 9 with 907 viewsLeonWasGod

Yes.

I used to do a lot of work in developing countries and some of the largest smiles I've seen were from people with the least. One thing they all had in common though was a tight sense of family and community. They also took joy from giving rather than taking.

So although it's not something I've spent much time thinking about, I'd say learning to help or give yourself to the service of others (not being selfish, basically) and having good and plentiful personal relationships are far more important than money, a big job, flash car, etc. Health is obviously the other biggy that money can't buy.

This popped up in the Gurniad at the weekend. Might be of interest to the OP. - https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jan/06/happiness-index-wellbeing-survey-u
Planet Swans members interview thread on 09:48 - Jan 9 with 899 viewsswan65split

Planet Swans members interview thread on 00:01 - Jan 9 by lifelong

When you get into your 70’s you start to think where the hell has that gone, you don’t think about it in your 30’s and 40’s..enjoy it when you can.

I am not 70 yet (hope to get there) but mid 60s, and agree with this, have got to a stage where its too late, but do it when you can /want, have fun, show respect, Health and happiness outweighs money.

The old saying "one life, live it" has yet to be disproved.
Login to get fewer ads

Planet Swans members interview thread on 10:42 - Jan 9 with 862 views1983

Couple of years left on the mortgage,3 properties,3 vehicles (1 vintage) worked hard for them

Me and the missus will sell the lot in about 10 years time and retire to Isle of wight where I will enjoy my golden years having the grand kids over,walking the dogs around the coast , going to the pub and the occasional puff....Bliss

Planet Swans members interview thread on 10:54 - Jan 9 with 841 viewsProfessor

Planet Swans members interview thread on 09:43 - Jan 9 by LeonWasGod

Yes.

I used to do a lot of work in developing countries and some of the largest smiles I've seen were from people with the least. One thing they all had in common though was a tight sense of family and community. They also took joy from giving rather than taking.

So although it's not something I've spent much time thinking about, I'd say learning to help or give yourself to the service of others (not being selfish, basically) and having good and plentiful personal relationships are far more important than money, a big job, flash car, etc. Health is obviously the other biggy that money can't buy.

This popped up in the Gurniad at the weekend. Might be of interest to the OP. - https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jan/06/happiness-index-wellbeing-survey-u

Having worked in Africa, this echoes my experiences there. Generosity from those who have the least
Planet Swans members interview thread on 14:50 - Jan 9 with 762 viewsPegojack

As the old saying goes, money can't buy you happiness, but I wouldn't mind being rich and miserable for a while!

After the life choices I've made, I now find myself in my early sixties comfortably off, retired and living the dream in Spain. Who am I to lecture people on the simple things in life being more important than money?

A happy family life is precious though, and good health is priceless.
Planet Swans members interview thread on 15:06 - Jan 9 with 746 viewsdameedna

Have worked in developing countries, Africa in particular.

I use this experience to frame reality when working through the daily fun in the developed world.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024