Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Court overturns referendum! 01:36 - Apr 12 with 7154 viewsDJack

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/11/switzerland-court-overturns-refere
[Post edited 12 Apr 2019 1:36]

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Court overturns referendum! on 08:30 - Apr 12 with 3861 viewscostalotta

Isnt that what sensible democracies do, reflect and realise their mistakes rather than entrench, ridicule and burn the earth!
Court overturns referendum! on 08:57 - Apr 12 with 3829 viewssquarebear

But, but what about the will of the pe -??
Court overturns referendum! on 09:10 - Apr 12 with 3814 viewsbluey_the_blue

Completely different systems. Switzerland have regular referendums on all sorts of issues.
Court overturns referendum! on 09:15 - Apr 12 with 3806 viewsUxbridge

Court overturns referendum! on 09:10 - Apr 12 by bluey_the_blue

Completely different systems. Switzerland have regular referendums on all sorts of issues.

Which is utterly irrelevant.

We'd have had the same situation here of course if the ref had been legally binding, which has always made a mockery of the so-called moral requirement to implement of the 2016 ref.

When all this is said and one I'm rather looking forward to the inevitable public inquiry that will follow. It'll make Hutton look all rather quaint.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Court overturns referendum! on 09:27 - Apr 12 with 3790 viewsbluey_the_blue

Court overturns referendum! on 09:15 - Apr 12 by Uxbridge

We'd have had the same situation here of course if the ref had been legally binding, which has always made a mockery of the so-called moral requirement to implement of the 2016 ref.

When all this is said and one I'm rather looking forward to the inevitable public inquiry that will follow. It'll make Hutton look all rather quaint.

Not at all.

We also had the then chancellor claiming emergency budget would be needed, immediate recession. We also had BoE apologise for getting forecasts wrong.

Neither side were 100% accurte.
Court overturns referendum! on 09:37 - Apr 12 with 3777 viewsUxbridge

Court overturns referendum! on 09:27 - Apr 12 by bluey_the_blue

Not at all.

We also had the then chancellor claiming emergency budget would be needed, immediate recession. We also had BoE apologise for getting forecasts wrong.

Only one side was pulled up by the electoral commission and fined for it, and I don't recall legal advice commenting that if the vote had been to remain in a binding referendum, it would have had to be rerun.

This argument that both sides were equally dishonest is just nonsense. If Project Fear was guilty of anything, it's that it got its timings a bit off. Those things are coming soon enough, particularly quickly if we head down the WTO route.

Court overturns referendum! on 09:51 - Apr 12 with 3761 viewsbluey_the_blue

Court overturns referendum! on 09:37 - Apr 12 by Uxbridge

Only one side was pulled up by the electoral commission and fined for it, and I don't recall legal advice commenting that if the vote had been to remain in a binding referendum, it would have had to be rerun.

This argument that both sides were equally dishonest is just nonsense. If Project Fear was guilty of anything, it's that it got its timings a bit off. Those things are coming soon enough, particularly quickly if we head down the WTO route.

Indeed, only one side was pulled up. EC hardly covered itself in glory.

So you're saying Osbourne, BoE weren't dishonest just got timings wrong? So when will the emergency budget, immediate recession happen? It's all quit interesting given Britains economy holding up far better than anyone predicted.

Given predictions have been wrong so far, clinging to predictions to judge what might happen on leaving under WTO rules is a stretch.
Court overturns referendum! on 09:54 - Apr 12 with 3756 viewsWarwickHunt

Court overturns referendum! on 09:15 - Apr 12 by Uxbridge

6,000 civil servants stood down from ‘no deal’ duties after spunking £1.5 billion maintaining the Maybot’s blackmail strategy.

The woman’s a fûcking lunatic.
Login to get fewer ads

Court overturns referendum! on 10:04 - Apr 12 with 3735 viewscostalotta

Court overturns referendum! on 09:51 - Apr 12 by bluey_the_blue

So you're saying Osbourne, BoE weren't dishonest just got timings wrong? So when will the emergency budget, immediate recession happen? It's all quit interesting given Britains economy holding up far better than anyone predicted.

Given predictions have been wrong so far, clinging to predictions to judge what might happen on leaving under WTO rules is a stretch.

Bluey. ... two initials (and words) QE.
Court overturns referendum! on 10:09 - Apr 12 with 3728 viewsUxbridge

Ah yes, let's not listen to experts. Thanks Michael.

There's not one decent study that predicts the UK economy will be anything other than damaged significantly by a no-deal Brexit. Not that we need studies to tell us that, it's blindingly obvious and you only need to speak to business leaders and owners to get a sense of the difficulties and issues they'll face both on Day 1 and afterwards. There's also the rather awkward point that WTO rules have some rather large holes, particularly around services. There's no playbook for half of this, and it'd takes years to fill in the gaps. Years where the economy gets damaged as business move their operations and assets from the UK to elsewhere, just like the €1tn of assets that have already done so.

The change in tone of the debate is noticeable now. The best the Leave campaigners can come up with now is that it won't be that bad. Given the accuracy of their predictions, I won't give theirs much credibility either.

PS I'm with you on the EC. The way they've refused to investigate further evidence of irregularities on the vote leave side is disgraceful. I'm not aware of the similar issues on the remain side though, although that may be because they don't exist despite the attempts to compare the two.

Court overturns referendum! on 10:12 - Apr 12 with 3714 viewsLeonWasGod

Court overturns referendum! on 09:27 - Apr 12 by bluey_the_blue

Not at all.

There has been a massive hit on growth though Bluey according to most calculations (not forecasts, actuals). A lot of forecasts were pretty good. +£50bn of QE softened the blow - that wasn't factored in to any forecasts.

Not that Osborne deserves any credit - he was spinning for all it's worth. None of the Tories at the head of the rival campaigns come out of this with any credit. I'm amazed people still trust them, but there we are.

"Trust economists, but not those with an axe to grind"
Court overturns referendum! on 10:16 - Apr 12 with 3707 viewsUxbridge

Court overturns referendum! on 09:54 - Apr 12 by WarwickHunt

6,000 civil servants stood down from ‘no deal’ duties after spunking £1.5 billion maintaining the Maybot’s blackmail strategy.

A strategy that anyone could have told you was utter lunacy.

There are silver linings though. After a generation of the press demonising the EU, politicians using it as a convenient shield to protect themselves against their own decisions etc, the public are starting to be made aware of the benefits of membership, how on plenty of occasions we're far better served by them than we have by Westminster and that most of the issues with this country are absolutely nothing to do with our membership. It won't last, obviously, but still

Court overturns referendum! on 10:23 - Apr 12 with 3694 viewsVincent_Vega

The money spent/wasted on this whole episode is truly staggering

This Government is mad!

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

Court overturns referendum! on 10:33 - Apr 12 with 3682 viewssherpajacob

Court overturns referendum! on 09:10 - Apr 12 by bluey_the_blue

So they have lots of experience and know how they work properly and what they are doing

Whereas the UK has referendums sparingly.

Seems to me we should ask Swiss Electoral officials to have a look at ours and tell us what we should do.

Daniel Hannan loves Switzerland, No idea what his reaction to this is, as he's blocked me.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Court overturns referendum! on 10:40 - Apr 12 with 3660 viewsEbo

Because we have not left yet you lunatic.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Court overturns referendum! on 11:16 - Apr 12 with 3622 viewsHighjack

Overturning it is so boring. Why don’t they just keep having referendums until they get the result the markets (holy praise be unto them) want then stop having referendums?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Court overturns referendum! on 11:39 - Apr 12 with 3603 viewssquarebear

I think that was probably the plan all along.
Court overturns referendum! on 12:40 - Apr 12 with 3547 viewschad

If only the governor of the Bank of England had got to Q in his dummies guide before making such inaccurate doomsday predictions

Oops never thought of QE

Surgeon tell me why you said this patient would die when he is fine

Well umm just slipped my mind I was able to operate, but it is just a matter of timing he definitely will die sometime
Court overturns referendum! on 12:55 - Apr 12 with 3536 viewslondonlisa2001

Closer to £4bn.

Plus the cost to UK business of preparing.
Court overturns referendum! on 12:58 - Apr 12 with 3528 viewslondonlisa2001

QE, plus an abandonment by the Tory party after a change of leadership to make any effort to balance the books. Their previous pledge to reduce debt etc was cast aside.

Plus, as links I’ve posted before show, the cost to the UK so far is estimated (conservatively) at £600m per week,
Court overturns referendum! on 13:00 - Apr 12 with 3524 viewslondonlisa2001

Court overturns referendum! on 12:40 - Apr 12 by chad

If only the governor of the Bank of England had got to Q in his dummies guide before making such inaccurate doomsday predictions

Oops never thought of QE

Well umm just slipped my mind I was able to operate, but it is just a matter of timing he definitely will die sometime

Decided whether the Isle of Man is in the EU or not yet Chad?
Court overturns referendum! on 13:06 - Apr 12 with 3512 viewsWarwickHunt

Court overturns referendum! on 13:00 - Apr 12 by londonlisa2001

Decided whether the Isle of Man is in the EU or not yet Chad?

Baby steps, Lis. Baby steps.
Court overturns referendum! on 13:11 - Apr 12 with 3502 viewscostalotta

Court overturns referendum! on 12:40 - Apr 12 by chad

Oops never thought of QE

Don’t start drowning near chad. If you ask for help she will not throw a life jacket, she’ll advise that you start drinking the water until your not drowning anymore.
Court overturns referendum! on 13:13 - Apr 12 with 3494 viewslondonlisa2001

Court overturns referendum! on 13:06 - Apr 12 by WarwickHunt

Baby steps, Lis. Baby steps.

I’m still laughing at Annunziata Rees Mogg being put forward as a working class heroine to be honest Warwick.

Didn’t go to university (after her education equals thick as sh*t), and spent a few years as an investment banker, journalist, stockbroker, publishing etc, deciding what she wanted to do.

Imagine a normal kid without a degree trying out journalism, investment banking, stockbroking, publishing, to see what they fancied.
Court overturns referendum! on 13:20 - Apr 12 with 3479 viewsWarwickHunt

Court overturns referendum! on 13:13 - Apr 12 by londonlisa2001

I’m still laughing at Annunziata Rees Mogg being put forward as a working class heroine to be honest Warwick.

Didn’t go to university (after her education equals thick as sh*t), and spent a few years as an investment banker, journalist, stockbroker, publishing etc, deciding what she wanted to do.

Imagine a normal kid without a degree trying out journalism, investment banking, stockbroking, publishing, to see what they fancied.

As a docker’s first son I could have had preferential treatment to work on the docks and spent my life unloading pig iron and carbon black. Privileged beyond!

Edit: I see one of our resident fûckwits has been busy. Aw bless! 😂😂😂
[Post edited 12 Apr 2019 18:17]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024