Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
£15 an hour 10:56 - Nov 13 with 7534 viewsVincent_Vega

For making Big Mac's. I could only dream of earning that!!

Question is will the price of the wrap of the day go up?

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

£15 an hour on 00:30 - Nov 14 with 1155 viewsNotLoyal

£15 an hour on 22:30 - Nov 13 by ItchySphincter

Well I’ve never been short of work as an engineer in my adult life. Owned my own company and travelled the world doing things you could only dream of. Not an academic qualification to my name. Too many like you around dumbing down what actually counts.

We are similar then, from the military I did the same, I need nothing, I ask for nothing and I decide what I do and when. Fair play to you.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

£15 an hour on 06:01 - Nov 14 with 1111 viewsjack247

£15 an hour on 20:35 - Nov 13 by Neath_Jack

Do you think teachers go into their profession for a high wage? Because they certainly don't get it. I'd do my job for half the wage I get now if that was the going rate, because i love doing it.

I don't want a communist state at all.

Not everyone aspires to do great things butty, again I can give you many real life people who could do so much better should they choose to, but they don't because they are happy with their lot. Not everyone is a greedy money driven person, in fact most of the nicest, kindest people i know are the exact opposite.

The unskilled are every much as an important cog as those engineers and teachers that you named.

All that is very true, particularly the last sentence. However the people that are happy with their lot and don’t want to push themselves in their working lives, shouldn’t be entitled to earn the same as people with more ambition. People happy to work at McDonald’s for whatever they pay, All the best to them.

If people want to earn £15 an hour or want more than they earn at McDonalds, then they need the drive to match that. Work their way up in McDonalds or find a different job.
£15 an hour on 07:37 - Nov 14 with 1070 viewsNeath_Jack

£15 an hour on 06:01 - Nov 14 by jack247

All that is very true, particularly the last sentence. However the people that are happy with their lot and don’t want to push themselves in their working lives, shouldn’t be entitled to earn the same as people with more ambition. People happy to work at McDonald’s for whatever they pay, All the best to them.

If people want to earn £15 an hour or want more than they earn at McDonalds, then they need the drive to match that. Work their way up in McDonalds or find a different job.

So is your issue with just McDonalds workers earning better money, or does it extend to other high paid, low skilled workers, such as those in Ford or Tata? Because there are people in both those plants earning £40/50/60k per year.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

£15 an hour on 08:11 - Nov 14 with 1061 viewsItchySphincter

£15 an hour on 00:30 - Nov 14 by NotLoyal

We are similar then, from the military I did the same, I need nothing, I ask for nothing and I decide what I do and when. Fair play to you.

I think we are. I assumed you had military background - I haven’t but I made my choices early and in pretty much deciding to step out in to the big bad world early, rather than staying in academia, and then sticking with it through thick and thin I kind of earned my stripes have that way.

There is the odd occasion when sometimes I wish I stuck around to pick up a degree but it’s rare and usually because I’m surrounded by a bunch of thick tw@ts who think they’ve made it it because they graduated uni. Truth is they haven’t even started learning yet and they sh*t the bed when actually faced with providing any kind of value.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

£15 an hour on 08:52 - Nov 14 with 1049 viewsjackrmee

£15 an hour on 19:15 - Nov 13 by Neath_Jack

And as someone else said, some of the subjects you can get degrees in now is laughable.

Why are some subjects laughable though? Surely benefit for becoming skilled in any subject? Much of the degree and the benefit of holding the qualification is in the work you do which is synonymous with any degree, ie. research, writing and communicating skills, referencing, IT, plus a lot more.
So basically, whatever degree you have, shows a lot of commitment and skills anyway.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

£15 an hour on 08:54 - Nov 14 with 1045 viewsjackrmee

£15 an hour on 19:21 - Nov 13 by PozuelosSideys

Its not a skilled job. If you start paying McDonalds employees £15 an hour, every other job will have to increase its rates of pay and therefore there will be an inflationary impact.

Theres a reason lots of young people, students and those lacking qualifications do it and its because any person can cos it really isnt hard.

However, i do feel for those under the age of say, 21 who get paid a lower minimum age rate for doing exactly the same job as those over 21. That to me is discriminatory and im amazed it hasnt been looked at.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2019 19:23]

I kind of think that it's not all about whether the job is skilled or not, but more about how difficult it is and who may or may not want to do it.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

£15 an hour on 09:06 - Nov 14 with 1035 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

McDonald’s could afford to give It’s workers a pay rise and still make multi millions

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

£15 an hour on 09:12 - Nov 14 with 1033 viewsjack247

£15 an hour on 07:37 - Nov 14 by Neath_Jack

So is your issue with just McDonalds workers earning better money, or does it extend to other high paid, low skilled workers, such as those in Ford or Tata? Because there are people in both those plants earning £40/50/60k per year.

I don’t have an issue with anyone earning what their job pays. I’m sure there are loads of people doing unskilled (but physically demanding) jobs in both of those companies earning a fair bit more than I do.

I could apply for a job in the steelworks if and when they take on again. So could anyone physically capable earning less than £40/50/60k, including people at McDonalds.
Login to get fewer ads

£15 an hour on 09:34 - Nov 14 with 1028 viewsNeath_Jack

£15 an hour on 09:12 - Nov 14 by jack247

I don’t have an issue with anyone earning what their job pays. I’m sure there are loads of people doing unskilled (but physically demanding) jobs in both of those companies earning a fair bit more than I do.

I could apply for a job in the steelworks if and when they take on again. So could anyone physically capable earning less than £40/50/60k, including people at McDonalds.

So it’s only McDonalds workers earning £15ph that you have an issue with then?

Why is it ok for unskilled Tata/Ford workers to earn good money but not McDonalds workers?

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

£15 an hour on 09:53 - Nov 14 with 1009 viewsNeath_Jack

£15 an hour on 08:52 - Nov 14 by jackrmee

Why are some subjects laughable though? Surely benefit for becoming skilled in any subject? Much of the degree and the benefit of holding the qualification is in the work you do which is synonymous with any degree, ie. research, writing and communicating skills, referencing, IT, plus a lot more.
So basically, whatever degree you have, shows a lot of commitment and skills anyway.

A masters degree in stand up comedy. You don’t find that a load of nonsense?

I know what you are saying about research, report writing etc, but come on ffs.

£15 an hour on 10:09 - Nov 14 with 994 viewsjack247

£15 an hour on 09:34 - Nov 14 by Neath_Jack

So it’s only McDonalds workers earning £15ph that you have an issue with then?

Why is it ok for unskilled Tata/Ford workers to earn good money but not McDonalds workers?

Are you implying that all unskilled workers should be paid broadly the same amount?

I’d have no issue with McDonalds deciding to pay their employees £15ph. They’d probably have a slightly different demographic working for them, as they’d have a lot more applicants, some of whom would be skilled workers just looking to earn more than is possible in their trades.

As far as I’m concerned, either accept what they pay, or look for a job that pays better.
£15 an hour on 10:17 - Nov 14 with 986 viewsjackrmee

£15 an hour on 20:35 - Nov 13 by Neath_Jack

Do you think teachers go into their profession for a high wage? Because they certainly don't get it. I'd do my job for half the wage I get now if that was the going rate, because i love doing it.

I don't want a communist state at all.

Not everyone aspires to do great things butty, again I can give you many real life people who could do so much better should they choose to, but they don't because they are happy with their lot. Not everyone is a greedy money driven person, in fact most of the nicest, kindest people i know are the exact opposite.

The unskilled are every much as an important cog as those engineers and teachers that you named.

TOtally agree.
And I wonder how many of those engineers or teachers would quit the job they love, simply because they could work in McDs for the same money. I bet they would find that job far more difficult and stressful than the one they have got and have become a master of.

Who cares what other people are earning for whatever job...
AS long as you're happy in your job and the wage is fair, stop comparing init.

£15 an hour on 10:19 - Nov 14 with 982 viewsjackrmee

£15 an hour on 20:53 - Nov 13 by Dr_Winston

So if they cut your wage by 50% tomorrow you'd keep doing it?

Question not aimed at me granted, but want to reply...

Probably not, but if one was offered a job cleaning toilets, or in McDs for the same money, would you swap?
Surely the answer is not also?

£15 an hour on 10:25 - Nov 14 with 972 viewsjackrmee

£15 an hour on 06:01 - Nov 14 by jack247

You speak as if Mcdonalds is the lowest of the low.

Some people may love their job at Mcdonalds, but think they deserve more wages due to the constant stress and pressure.

Some people may want to climb the ladder or move jobs, but are unable to for any number of reasons.

£15 an hour on 10:27 - Nov 14 with 969 viewsjackrmee

£15 an hour on 09:06 - Nov 14 by oh_tommy_tommy

McDonald’s could afford to give It’s workers a pay rise and still make multi millions

I read somewhere that if they raised the price of a Big Mac by 17c (USA) they could raise the wage of all McDonalds staff past the national living wage.

£15 an hour on 10:34 - Nov 14 with 959 viewsjackrmee

£15 an hour on 09:53 - Nov 14 by Neath_Jack

A masters degree in stand up comedy. You don’t find that a load of nonsense?

I know what you are saying about research, report writing etc, but come on ffs.

Yeah I see what you're saying, as some of them do seem pretty pointless, but the actual subject isn't really what it's all about I don't think.

Someone with a Masters in standup comedy probably won't find a career to match, but will be eligible for higher jobs elsewhere, merely due to the fact he/she has a masters, as the research and techniques involved should be similar throughout all masters, so they prove certain skills.

eg. if you're doing a psychology masters, it may sound way better than a standup comedy masters, but the actual research project you have to do can be on anything whatsoever, so the psychology masters student could probably do their project on the effects of standup comedy on mental health conditions such as depression for instance, yet the standup comedy masters student could do their masters research on the exact same thing.

£15 an hour on 10:47 - Nov 14 with 942 viewsjack247

£15 an hour on 10:25 - Nov 14 by jackrmee

You speak as if Mcdonalds is the lowest of the low.

Some people may love their job at Mcdonalds, but think they deserve more wages due to the constant stress and pressure.

Some people may want to climb the ladder or move jobs, but are unable to for any number of reasons.

Not at all. Neath Jack quite rightly pointed out earlier in the thread that unskilled workers are every bit as important as people earning more. I have nothing against anyone working at whatever level in whatever industry.

Again, many people may not want to climb the career ladder as they are happy as they are, many may want to but not be able to due to any number of personal circumstances. That doesn’t entitle them to earn as much as or more than people who do.

If you strip this back, the inference is that people who work there should earn more than nurses, police officers or teachers do for a good few years and more than many store managers ever will.
£15 an hour on 10:59 - Nov 14 with 924 viewsNeath_Jack

£15 an hour on 10:09 - Nov 14 by jack247

Are you implying that all unskilled workers should be paid broadly the same amount?

I’d have no issue with McDonalds deciding to pay their employees £15ph. They’d probably have a slightly different demographic working for them, as they’d have a lot more applicants, some of whom would be skilled workers just looking to earn more than is possible in their trades.

As far as I’m concerned, either accept what they pay, or look for a job that pays better.

I don’t know what I’m implying now to be honest 😂

I got involved in this thread due to the suggestion that only those who have attended uni should be paid a good rate of pay. I hate people looking down on others in those situations. I’ve seen people join our company with all sorts of letters after their names, the majority of who don’t last very long, they’re invariably full of piss and wind, the big I am of you like.

I couldn’t work in McDonalds due to having to deal with stroppy and rude public day in, day out. I wouldn’t do it for 30k a year. That is a skill in itself, so whilst they may not have formal qualifications, they are skilled nevertheless.

I couldn’t work in Tata, sat in a control pulpit watching screens and pressing buttons all day either. It’s horses for courses, but let’s not begrudge those that we deem unskilled, the chance to earn decent coin whilst doing so.

£15 an hour on 11:10 - Nov 14 with 914 views3swan

£15 an hour on 10:59 - Nov 14 by Neath_Jack

I got involved in this thread due to the suggestion that only those who have attended uni should be paid a good rate of pay. I hate people looking down on others in those situations. I’ve seen people join our company with all sorts of letters after their names, the majority of who don’t last very long, they’re invariably full of piss and wind, the big I am of you like.

I couldn’t work in McDonalds due to having to deal with stroppy and rude public day in, day out. I wouldn’t do it for 30k a year. That is a skill in itself, so whilst they may not have formal qualifications, they are skilled nevertheless.

I couldn’t work in Tata, sat in a control pulpit watching screens and pressing buttons all day either. It’s horses for courses, but let’s not begrudge those that we deem unskilled, the chance to earn decent coin whilst doing so.

I've had the same experience in my working life where graduates have been shown to be totally unsuitable for the job. There have been good and bad, as with non qualified people. Horses for courses and each working individual should be paid enough to live on (whatever that means)
The more skill and benefit to the world will bring greater rewards, but everyone is a cog in how we live our lives
£15 an hour on 11:54 - Nov 14 with 892 viewsVincent_Vega

Just to be clear I wasn't having a go at low skilled workers, on the contrary I was highlighting the work others do that most wouldn't do for double what they get and saying 'what about these guys?'

Also in regards to Uni grads. I mentioned them as an example of people wanting to study to get on in life and that if you can get 30k plus a year pressing buttons on a coffee machine then its kind of pointless going to Uni is it not?

Oh and before you say I'm looking down on low skilled, I am indeed in one of those positions and have never been to University.

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

£15 an hour on 11:57 - Nov 14 with 888 viewsLord_Bony

Many people earn far more than University graduates just running a simple business like a market stall selling fruit and veg let's be honest.

Self employed is a great route to go down.

Basically, do you want to pursue a career or make money? The two are totally separate.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

£15 an hour on 12:34 - Nov 14 with 860 viewsKGriz16

£15 an hour on 19:52 - Nov 13 by jack247

Corbyn is in danger of becoming a parody of himself backing campaigns like this.

No disrespect at all to anyone who works in McDonald’s or does a similar job, but the starting salaries for teachers, nurses and police officers are around £20- £25k. Someone working 35 hours a week (I realise many won’t be) at £15 an hour would earn £27,300. There are lots of managerial roles paying less than that.

Someone mentioned hyperinflation in another thread. We’re either looking at that, or the bizarre scenario where people working for McDonalds earn considerably more than people in comparable jobs.

Again, no disrespect to anybody, but it’s completely impractical for everyone to earn the same amount. Unskilled jobs are and should be at the lower end of the scale.

Edit - should have said I’m completely with them on the guaranteed hours (assume this means they are currently on zero hour contracts) and the union representation. Just not the wage demands.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2019 20:12]

You've completely missed the point. But, carry on...
£15 an hour on 13:08 - Nov 14 with 836 viewsjack247

Well I pretty much agree with all of that.

A university education doesn’t and shouldn’t entitle anyone to anything.
Nothing but respect for people who start and the bottom and work their way up.
I couldn’t work frontline McDonalds or Tata either jobs and customer service is undoubtedly a skill, particularly in such a fast moving environment.

No one is saying anyone shouldn’t have a right to earn decent money. You do it by working hard and progressing within McDonalds or moving on somewhere that pays more.
£15 an hour on 13:10 - Nov 14 with 834 viewsjack247

£15 an hour on 12:34 - Nov 14 by KGriz16

You've completely missed the point. But, carry on...

Brilliant. Are you going to leave it at that or explain the point?
£15 an hour on 13:43 - Nov 14 with 812 viewswaynekerr55

£15 an hour on 11:57 - Nov 14 by Lord_Bony

Many people earn far more than University graduates just running a simple business like a market stall selling fruit and veg let's be honest.

Self employed is a great route to go down.

Basically, do you want to pursue a career or make money? The two are totally separate.

What about selling BACOFOIL?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024