Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Diane Abbott 11:38 - Dec 12 with 6796 viewsDarran

Yeah I know I’m a racist for mentioning her.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Diane Abbott on 02:46 - Dec 13 with 433 viewslondonlisa2001

Diane Abbott on 02:18 - Dec 13 by chad

Ah hello Lisa, please point out where I sneered.

Just because I do not grovel to Oxbridge and the elitism surrounding that and pointed out that many working class children went to grammar school and achieved higher degrees. Perhaps you are sneering at them because despite their superior grades they did not apply to Oxbridge. You do understand there are many excellent universities across the UK and beyond.

I thought you had branded many Oxbridge graduates idiots yourself.

I went to school in a very poor area. I did not suffer the privations of the mean streets of Killay of course, but lived on an estate with a plaque declaring this estate is for the poor.

However understand a low income, large family and manual work does not preclude intelligence. Although Dian was fortunate to live in a better area than me, I imagine Dian, myself and many other working class children including yourself were fortunate enough to inherit intelligence from our parents and began emerging in a society where we were more fortunately able to take better advantage of that.

I did pass the 11 plus and go to a girls grammar school and the majority, of my close friendship group (4 out of 7 of us) were immigrants achieving well in school and beyond without problem.

I left school to work, and earned a degree whilst working and raising my family. The point being though, I do not see having a degree (regardless of how high or low or where earned) makes one any better or more intelligent than anyone without a degree (or any other qualifications).

However I have always encouraged my children to take their education seriously as it gives options and helps to avoid the possibility of being at the mercy of some prat with a degree, or those that think not having one would somehow make them less intelligent. Although unlike Dian I never found the need to privately educate my children.

Perhaps it is someone putting a person with a 2.2 in history from Cambridge above others (as was done in this thread) that is being sneering and me trying to provide balance to that opinion

And Lisa I still recall when you were trying to dictate when poor people should be allowed to buy DVDs. That aligned with your sneering, high handed, condescending attitude to others intelligence, or anyone that dares deviate from your (repeatedly logically and or factually flawed) self perceived wisdom, gives you little room to talk.

You sneered at Diane Abbott in the post I replied to?

The rest of it is nonsense. It’s nothing to do with me. I haven’t claimed anything - I was talking about Diane Abbott’s achievement.

I have little regard for educational achievement in and of itself. It depends on background, opportunity, luck. All sorts. Much of which is beyond the control of the person. You have to look at the achievement in the round in my opinion. Someone with a privileged background going to ‘x’ university may or may not mean anything at all. Someone from a very different background going to the same may be very different. I have complete admiration for you gaining a degree while working. I’ve always said that the only university whose graduates I would always see when I was ever responsible for any sort of recruitment was the Open University as I admire the achievement of people studying while working far more than the achievement of fitting it in while drinking, partying and watching TV.
I’m not sure why you have a very strange opinion of my views but there we go.

By the way - you still don’t understand the point that was being made about the DVD issue.
Diane Abbott on 07:15 - Dec 13 with 355 viewsCatullus

Diane Abbott on 00:01 - Dec 13 by Highjack

How many noted historians would suggest Mao is a force for good?

She's clearly not very good at her subject.

Portillo was a bit of a bellend politically but he got a first class at Cambridge and frequently wiped the floor with her when they were together on Daily Politics.

I hated Portillo as a politician but I watched his great train journey across India and really enjoyed it. Until he turned around and came back.

I also think Abbot is terrible but Thornberry is just as bad, so too Bridgen Francois etc. Maybe she gets more attention because she's Jezzas special friend?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024