Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ricky Gervais 10:09 - Jan 6 with 7212 viewsdickythorpe

I heard he made those Hollywood fúcks uncomfortable.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2020 10:09]
Ricky Gervais on 22:10 - Jan 6 with 1282 viewsGowerjack

Ricky Gervais on 16:47 - Jan 6 by londonlisa2001

Lol.

The person who wrote that for the LA Times has obviously no idea whatsoever about British humour.

As, it seems, is the case with you.

The whole point of his roast was that he’s one of them. That’s why he gets away with poking fun. And why he’s done the Golden Globes 4 or 5 times now.

Tom Hanks wasn’t ‘scowling’ as that report says - the pic of him pulling a face all over the Internet shows his wife howling laughing next to him - it’s nonsense.

Ricky Gervais is as ‘woke’ as they come. That’s why it’s funny.

Yanks don't do irony Lisa

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Ricky Gervais on 01:04 - Jan 7 with 1153 viewsDJack

Ricky Gervais on 22:10 - Jan 6 by Gowerjack

Yanks don't do irony Lisa

That's why they invented dry cleaning

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Ricky Gervais on 06:44 - Jan 7 with 1086 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Ricky Gervais on 16:47 - Jan 6 by londonlisa2001

Lol.

The person who wrote that for the LA Times has obviously no idea whatsoever about British humour.

As, it seems, is the case with you.

The whole point of his roast was that he’s one of them. That’s why he gets away with poking fun. And why he’s done the Golden Globes 4 or 5 times now.

Tom Hanks wasn’t ‘scowling’ as that report says - the pic of him pulling a face all over the Internet shows his wife howling laughing next to him - it’s nonsense.

Ricky Gervais is as ‘woke’ as they come. That’s why it’s funny.

Golly gee whiz, now it appears TheIndependent.co.UK "has obviously no idea whatsoever about British humour." Where will it end???

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/ricky-gervais-golden-globes-jokes-metoo-gre
[Post edited 7 Jan 2020 6:46]

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Ricky Gervais on 07:25 - Jan 7 with 1060 viewsjackal

I saw Gervais live in Cardiff a couple a years ago.

His "jokes" about childhood cancer and cot death made me want to puke. He defended them by saying he had a freedom of speech.

Very clever man, but totally lacking in dignity and basic human decency.
Ricky Gervais on 07:30 - Jan 7 with 1056 viewsdickythorpe

It's the "shock" laugh he goes for. Sometimes I laugh, sometimes I don't.
Whether he's taking the piss out of himself or others is up to him.
Glad he said (whether he meant it or not) "collect award and fúck off.....you are in no position to preach or make political points".....as the drongos who look at celebs as gods may, just may realise they aren't to be revered.

Anyway time for work.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2020 7:31]
Ricky Gervais on 07:57 - Jan 7 with 1039 viewsjojaca

Ricky Gervais on 07:25 - Jan 7 by jackal

His "jokes" about childhood cancer and cot death made me want to puke. He defended them by saying he had a freedom of speech.

Don't bother watching stand up comedy if your easily offended.

Even when you know, you never know?

Ricky Gervais on 08:06 - Jan 7 with 1034 viewsjackal

Ricky Gervais on 07:57 - Jan 7 by jojaca

Don't bother watching stand up comedy if your easily offended.

I'm not easily offended. Far from it.

I've been to many stand-up shows and have never been offended before.

There has to be a line somewhere and joking about dead babies surely crosses it.
Ricky Gervais on 08:19 - Jan 7 with 1021 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Ricky Gervais on 07:25 - Jan 7 by jackal

He’s another unfunny publicity whore. I cringe whenever I see him patronizing Hollywood A listers.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Login to get fewer ads

Ricky Gervais on 08:28 - Jan 7 with 1015 viewsBest_loser

Ricky Gervais on 08:19 - Jan 7 by Brynmill_Jack

He’s another unfunny publicity whore. I cringe whenever I see him patronizing Hollywood A listers.

I find him very funny, a very smart guy, he knows where the line is and doesn't cross it

Where that line is, is a matter of opinion though
Ricky Gervais on 09:45 - Jan 7 with 955 viewsDarran

Ricky Gervais on 06:44 - Jan 7 by Tummer_from_Texas

Golly gee whiz, now it appears TheIndependent.co.UK "has obviously no idea whatsoever about British humour." Where will it end???

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/ricky-gervais-golden-globes-jokes-metoo-gre

Gosh some people don’t half take some things too seriously eh?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Ricky Gervais on 09:54 - Jan 7 with 941 viewswestwalesed

Ricky Gervais on 12:38 - Jan 6 by londonlisa2001

Gervais is as much Hollywood as anyone.

They were all laughing throughout his speech.

The description that the right wing press have today of him as some sort of edgy independent commentator having a go at them all is genuinely hilarious.

Edited to add - particular shout out to the right wing Twitter accounts who are currently praising Gervais thinking he was actually having a go at ‘the liberals’. Wait until they find out his actual views on Brexit, Trump, Johnson etc...
[Post edited 6 Jan 2020 12:57]

His views on Brexit, Trump and Johnson are well known. No surprise to me at all.

His views on freedom of expression, the current PC culture we live in and woke hypocrisy are also well known and that is what the "right wing" press are supporting.

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Ricky Gervais on 11:43 - Jan 7 with 889 viewslondonlisa2001

Ricky Gervais on 06:44 - Jan 7 by Tummer_from_Texas

You really are hilarious Tummer. It greatly amuses me how pissed off you are.

Ricky Gervais btw made a point of singling that report out (funnily enough also the LA Times one) to laugh at.
Ricky Gervais on 11:46 - Jan 7 with 888 viewslondonlisa2001

Ricky Gervais on 08:19 - Jan 7 by Brynmill_Jack

I can’t understand why some on here don’t seem to grasp that.

It’s as though he’s some great speaker of truth.

Genuinely ridiculous.

I thought his monologue was funny as it happens (his stuff is very hit and miss), but he’s another James Corden.
Ricky Gervais on 11:54 - Jan 7 with 880 viewslondonlisa2001

Ricky Gervais on 09:54 - Jan 7 by westwalesed

His views on Brexit, Trump and Johnson are well known. No surprise to me at all.

His views on freedom of expression, the current PC culture we live in and woke hypocrisy are also well known and that is what the "right wing" press are supporting.

Oh absolute nonsense.

Let’s get real.

Views on ‘woke hypocrisy’? He spends half his life on twitter promoting Netflix and the other half promoting various causes, most frequently to do with animals.

He does exactly what people are now saying that he was ‘calling celebrities out on’.

He has an act which involves standing at the Golden Globes and criticising people who do the same as him. The act is even advertised for ages beforehand. It’s been done 4 or 5 times now.
You will honestly believe anything if you think Ricky Gervais wouldn’t crawl up the backside of any Hollywood A lister that gave him the time of day or the merest hint of a part.
Ricky Gervais on 13:52 - Jan 7 with 797 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Ricky Gervais on 11:43 - Jan 7 by londonlisa2001

You really are hilarious Tummer. It greatly amuses me how pissed off you are.

Ricky Gervais btw made a point of singling that report out (funnily enough also the LA Times one) to laugh at.

Proving you wrong (over and over again) = getting pissed off.

Whatever works for you, dear. Obviously, accepting defeat isn't an option.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2020 13:54]

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Ricky Gervais on 14:20 - Jan 7 with 754 viewslondonlisa2001

Ricky Gervais on 13:52 - Jan 7 by Tummer_from_Texas

Proving you wrong (over and over again) = getting pissed off.

Whatever works for you, dear. Obviously, accepting defeat isn't an option.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2020 13:54]

Lol.

I guess we can add patronising misogyny to the list of stuff you find acceptable.

You’re definitely right about Ricky Gervais though - he’s actually an edgy commentator flying fearless into the face of the industry that feeds him, rather than being a luvvie comedian employed to do the same pre advertised schtick for years on an awards show.
Don’t forget to watch his show on Netflix. He’s helpfully pinned the details on his twitter account today so all his new fans can catch up. Cos, you know, hate the business but have to pay the bills...

Moron.
Ricky Gervais on 14:33 - Jan 7 with 739 viewsNaughty71

Have I missed something here?

Ricky Gervais may not be to everyone's taste, but the cries of hypocrisy are a little wide of the mark.

He has not told anyone not to push agendas or have a political position, as he has numerous ones himself, and it has been pointed out that he uses twitter to further these positions.

What he did was tell the winners not to do it at the Golden Globes, as nobody in the audience would give a flying fig. Get up, say thanks and get off. He often points out that the award shows go on far too long anyway, why prolong the agony by stringing out what is already a painful experience for most, as they do not win?

Nothing hypocritical that I can see.

"Who scored that Naughty?", "I don't know, I've forgotten my bl**dy glasses again!".

Ricky Gervais on 15:25 - Jan 7 with 704 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Ricky Gervais: The CliffsNotes

OP: I heard he made those Hollywood fúcks uncomfortable.

(A few replies in agreement).

Lisa: Woke Hollywood loved it! Great jokes! Genuinely hilarious that the right wing fools think he was having a go at the Left.

(His actual words show that yes, he was having "a go" at them). And they clearly didn't care for it.

Lisa: he hates the Right, if only you fools knew!

We do, and we don't care. The woke press sure did though, (here they are criticizing him).

Lisa: Oh, they don't just don't get British humour, and clearly neither do you.

(More evidence to the contrary). Apparently, neither does the British press, or literally anyone else besides you.

Lisa: LOL you're so triggered, snowflake!

And with that, this thread has run its typical PS non-football course. I'll take some of the credit for helping us complete the journey in just three pages, as opposed to the usual 8-15. Can be annoying when these things drag out.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2020 16:17]

Ricky Gervais on 16:50 - Jan 7 with 644 viewsThursday

It was a little from column A, a little from column B, from a comedian doing what he's known for. A roast, well done.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2020 16:51]
Ricky Gervais on 17:26 - Jan 7 with 617 viewslondonlisa2001

Ricky Gervais on 15:25 - Jan 7 by Tummer_from_Texas

Ricky Gervais: The CliffsNotes

OP: I heard he made those Hollywood fúcks uncomfortable.

(A few replies in agreement).

Lisa: Woke Hollywood loved it! Great jokes! Genuinely hilarious that the right wing fools think he was having a go at the Left.

(His actual words show that yes, he was having "a go" at them). And they clearly didn't care for it.

Lisa: he hates the Right, if only you fools knew!

We do, and we don't care. The woke press sure did though, (here they are criticizing him).

Lisa: Oh, they don't just don't get British humour, and clearly neither do you.

(More evidence to the contrary). Apparently, neither does the British press, or literally anyone else besides you.

Lisa: LOL you're so triggered, snowflake!

And with that, this thread has run its typical PS non-football course. I'll take some of the credit for helping us complete the journey in just three pages, as opposed to the usual 8-15. Can be annoying when these things drag out.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2020 16:17]

Yeah - you’re definitely not triggered even slightly Tummer.

What actually happened is:

OP: ‘He made Hollywood feel uncomfortable’

Lisa : ‘He is Hollywood - it’s a roast - it’s what he’s employed to do. They’ve been advertising it for weeks and he was even on a British chat show the week before last saying he was going to do it and laughing about it. It’s part of the show to get ratings but it’s funny this year because a bunch of right wingers think he’s genuinely having a go at his mates and have started following him on twitter as a result. It’ll be funny when they read what he usually says’.

Tummer: ‘I hate Hollywood celebrities but am going to spend two days trying to prove a Hollywood celebrity agrees with my world view’.

Lisa: Laughs.

Tummer: Gets agitated.

Tummer: Gets even more agitated.

Over to you Tumtum.

This is very funny.
Ricky Gervais on 17:33 - Jan 7 with 610 viewsDarran

Ricky Gervais on 17:26 - Jan 7 by londonlisa2001

Yeah - you’re definitely not triggered even slightly Tummer.

What actually happened is:

OP: ‘He made Hollywood feel uncomfortable’

Lisa : ‘He is Hollywood - it’s a roast - it’s what he’s employed to do. They’ve been advertising it for weeks and he was even on a British chat show the week before last saying he was going to do it and laughing about it. It’s part of the show to get ratings but it’s funny this year because a bunch of right wingers think he’s genuinely having a go at his mates and have started following him on twitter as a result. It’ll be funny when they read what he usually says’.

Tummer: ‘I hate Hollywood celebrities but am going to spend two days trying to prove a Hollywood celebrity agrees with my world view’.

Tummer: Gets agitated.

Tummer: Gets even more agitated.

Over to you Tumtum.

This is very funny.

Why are you like this LIsa?
It’s quite obvious what he’s saying to you and it’s quite obvious you’re trying to avoid what he’s saying to you.
It’s not funny in the slightest. It’s quite pitiful actually and fuçking boring too.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Ricky Gervais on 18:07 - Jan 7 with 581 viewslondonlisa2001

Ricky Gervais on 17:33 - Jan 7 by Darran

Why are you like this LIsa?
It’s quite obvious what he’s saying to you and it’s quite obvious you’re trying to avoid what he’s saying to you.
It’s not funny in the slightest. It’s quite pitiful actually and fuçking boring too.

Why am I like what?

It is obvious what’s he’s saying - he thinks Gervais’ monologue genuinely pissed off Hollywood types (for the 5th year in a row). I’m not avoiding that, I’ve just said in my opinion it’s all a scripted in joke. Safe. A roast. Hence why he’s booked every year. He is a Hollywood type. Not an outsider.

I don’t care whether Tummer agrees with me or not. To be absolutely honest, and admittedly based only on what I’ve read as I haven’t met him, so the reality may be very different, I think he’s a complete arsehole. I’m sure the feeling is mutual. Who cares.
Ricky Gervais on 18:10 - Jan 7 with 576 viewsdickythorpe

I'm sure some were all in on the roast but the ego of a few of these luvvies will have been rocked, maybe not for long but a Brit doing it would cut them a bit (regardless of how matey he is)
Ricky Gervais on 18:10 - Jan 7 with 574 viewsJackfath

Ricky Gervais on 18:07 - Jan 7 by londonlisa2001

Why am I like what?

It is obvious what’s he’s saying - he thinks Gervais’ monologue genuinely pissed off Hollywood types (for the 5th year in a row). I’m not avoiding that, I’ve just said in my opinion it’s all a scripted in joke. Safe. A roast. Hence why he’s booked every year. He is a Hollywood type. Not an outsider.

I don’t care whether Tummer agrees with me or not. To be absolutely honest, and admittedly based only on what I’ve read as I haven’t met him, so the reality may be very different, I think he’s a complete arsehole. I’m sure the feeling is mutual. Who cares.

Blimey! I hope you don't write things like about me!

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Ricky Gervais on 18:26 - Jan 7 with 545 viewslondonlisa2001

Ricky Gervais on 18:10 - Jan 7 by Jackfath

Blimey! I hope you don't write things like about me!

Haven’t noticed you being an arsehole jackfath.

There are all sorts of people on here that all of us agree with, don’t agree with, whatever. I’m sure I’m not alone in never taking it seriously. I was only saying to fansdad a day or so ago (who I disagree with on pretty much everything and vice versa) that I enjoy his posting, and am sure I’d find him good company (which may well not be mutual in the slightest)!

The only people I have little time for are the very few people that do stuff like call me ‘dear’ in order to attempt to patronise me. That sort of small time sexism indicates a bully. And I have no time for bullies.

As I said, perhaps it’d be different in ‘real life’ but perhaps not as well.

Doesn’t matter. The world still turns.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024